PDA

View Full Version : Is Bavasi The Reds Next GM?

GAC
08-09-2008, 06:32 AM
Ok. Lets cut to the chase.

Since we have received this breaking news about Bavasi being hired as a "special assistant" to GM Jocketty.... is he being tabbed to be the next Red's GM by this owner?

RFS62
08-09-2008, 08:20 AM
It's possible, I suppose. His hiring is certainly enough to make me nervous, as it would be a disaster should it come to pass.

But I'd say we're overreacting.

Hard to imagine RedsZone overreacting, though.

:pimp:

Joseph
08-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Hard to imagine RedsZone overreacting, though.

:pimp:

What the hell do you mean by that? I am highly offended you would make such a statement. I pride myself in my ability to overreact! :-p

Falls City Beer
08-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Yes.

RichRed
08-09-2008, 09:46 AM
I know jumping to conclusions is RedsZone's favorite pastime but this organization gives us no reason to assume that it would know a smart move if it was bitten by one.

I have to say yes.

MWM
08-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Well, Walt is going ot be in the job for a while, so who knows. My guess would be know. Castellini seems to like names who have had success in the past (Walt, Dusty). I doubt he'd be dumb enough to think Bavasi would make a good GM. But nothing wouls surprise me.

I made some comments about my perception of Castellini the day he bought the team. It sure is looking like I was right on that one, unfortunately. It doesn't happen very often, but I sure wish I had been wrong.

KronoRed
08-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Anyone remember a similar poll when Walt was hired?

Me thinks big Bob is not happy the losing hasn't stopped.

Benihana
08-09-2008, 11:14 AM
This is one of the biggest overreactions I've seen on RedsZone since Chris Denorfia was traded. Do you think Brewers fans freaked out when Dan O'Brien joined them as a Special Assistant? This happens all the time in ALL professional sports (like when an NFL head coach fails and gets the axe, he's always quickly snapped up by a team usually to be a coordinator no matter how bad he was as a head coach- think Dick LeBeau and the Steelers). Everyone needs to relax.

I would be surprised if Bavasi is ever the GM of the Cincinnati Reds.

NJReds
08-09-2008, 11:43 AM
This is one of the biggest overreactions I've seen on RedsZone since Chris Denorfia was traded.

Disagree with you there. I think he will be the next GM, but even if he isn't, why does an organization that cries poverty when it comes to the player payroll go out and collect another front office type that has a history of failure. Why are we paying for other teams castaways? Just like paying Dusty big bucks to manage ... it doesn't compute.

Benihana
08-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Disagree with you there. I think he will be the next GM, but even if he isn't, why does an organization that cries poverty when it comes to the player payroll go out and collect another front office type that has a history of failure. Why are we paying for other teams castaways? Just like paying Dusty big bucks to manage ... it doesn't compute.

Did they give Bavasi some kind of big money contract? If so, I missed that one.

NJReds
08-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Did they give Bavasi some kind of big money contract? If so, I missed that one.

I don't think he's working for nothing.

RedEye
08-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Perhaps this just has to do with Walt not wanting a full-time gig. Remember, when he originally came aboard, the idea was to split time with Wayne. Jocketty was on the verge of retirement and he's probably still a bit tired from his experience in St. Louis. The problem was Wayne, who never took kindly to having any "assistance" to his GM-ing.

My best guess is that Bavasi has been hired to split up the duties once again so that Walt can indeed have that "more relaxed" position he was seeking when he came here. If Bavasi does take over, I would think it would be a few years down the road at the earliest.

Reds4Life
08-09-2008, 12:27 PM
If he is, then I am done with this organization. I simply can't take it anymore.

Heath
08-09-2008, 12:27 PM

But he gets his chicks for free.....

Ltlabner
08-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Unfortunatley, I'd say yes, it's very possible.

BCast has indicated several times that he thinks this team has all the tallent it needs, thus implying that all that stands between them and success if heart, chemistry and scrappyness. Wouldn't supprise me if BCast felt the team needed some vetren goodness to help out all these wild kids.

From what JoJo said, sounds like Bavsai is a big-time heart, chemistry and scrappyness man. Oh yea, seems to like vet goodness also.

No idea if it will happen, but certinally possible.

nate
08-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Is it time to look into reserving www.firebobc.com?

flyer85
08-09-2008, 01:26 PM
:runawaycr:runawaycr

Spring~Fields
08-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Ok. Lets cut to the chase.

Since we have received this breaking news about Bavasi being hired as a "special assistant" to GM Jocketty.... is he being tabbed to be the next Red's GM by this owner?

What effect does it have on the results, the win loss record that indicates the results were a loss since 2001 ? None presently.

A poll one day after a hiring seems a bit impetuous to me.

Too soon, check back later.

WVRedsFan
08-09-2008, 01:46 PM
But he gets his chicks for free.....
I want my...I want my...I want my world series ring...:D

Spring~Fields
08-09-2008, 02:21 PM
I want my...I want my...I want my world series ring...:D

Oh look, in 2001 the same four teams that were sitting in the top four spots in the Central are the same four teams sitting in the top four spots today, after eight long losing seasons later.

Central Division
Team W L WL% GB
Houston HOU 93 69 .574 --
St.Louis STL 93 69 .574 --
ChicagoC CHC 88 74 .543 5.0
Milwkee MIL 68 94 .420 25.0
Cincnnti CIN 66 96 .407 27.0
Pittsbgh PIT 62 100 .383 31.0

Central Division
Team W L WL% GB
ChicagoC CHC 70 46 .603 --
Milwkee MIL 65 51 .560 5.0
St.Louis STL 64 54 .542 7.0
Houston HOU 56 59 .487 13.5
Pittsbgh PIT 53 62 .461 16.5
Cincnnti CIN 52 65 .444 18.5

Players have changed
Pitchers have changed
Batters have changed
Fielders have changed
Managers have changed
Coaches have changed
General Managers have changed
Assistants to the general manager have changed
Ticket prices have changed

Even the owner/investors, the powers that be, have changed,
oh wait, something has not completely changed, the powers that be.

The Investors
Carl H. Lindner - Mrs. Louis Nippert - William J. Reik -George L. Strike
Money
The Reds bad product and losing

Powers that be

Power
1. capacity to do something: the ability, strength, and capacity to do something

3. control and influence: control and influence over other people and their actions

6. somebody with power: a politically, financially, or socially powerful person

8. persuasiveness: the ability to influence people's judgment or emotions

Benihana
08-09-2008, 02:27 PM

Neither is DanO in Milwaukee, and I think they're doing just fine. Are the Redskins doomed because Joe Bugel is coaching their offensive line? How about the Steelers with Dick LeBeau in charge of their defense? Those guys were atrocious as head coaches. Last I checked the Mets didn't go out and sign Juan Castro just because Wayne Krivsky is now an assistant to their GM. Everybody needs to RELAX

Always Red
08-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Everybody needs to RELAX

Relax?

We've been downright narcoleptic the entire year, save for Junior's 600th (and that barely woke us up) and some flurries of excitement over Volquez and Cueto.

And now Cast gives us some more Sominex?

Seriously, if Castellini wants to save his ticket base for next year, he needs to do something to give us some stinkin hope. Bavasi doesn't provide hope to any of us. As of right now, I'm not renewing my 20 game pack, unless some positive changes are made on the field. I'm sick of going to games and being down 5-0 in the 5th inning of nearly every game anymore, and watching players sleepwalk their way through games. Adding "name" managers and changing FO execs has added up to exactly nothing.

Honestly, the most exciting thing I've seen out of this team in a week is (I can't believe I'm saying this....GULP)....Corey Patterson throwing his body around CF last night. Too bad he can't hit...

westofyou
08-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Is Bavasi The Reds Next GM?

As much as Krivsky is the next Mets GM.

Falls City Beer
08-09-2008, 03:25 PM
There is no small problem when it comes to the Reds

Ron Madden
08-09-2008, 04:35 PM
I hope not.

jojo
08-09-2008, 05:36 PM
It would be surprising to me if Bavasi ever became a GM again.

There are too many young guns waiting in line and Bavasi doesn't have the track record to trump them or the experienced guys like a Towers who might be a candidate.

It makes a lot of sense for a Bavasi or an O'brien to be a special assistant to the GM because they have the experience of being one a GM. Really I'd think you'd hire an inexperienced person for the job only if you were grooming them. I don't think Bavasi is being "groomed".

WebScorpion
08-09-2008, 07:59 PM
They say you learn from your mistakes. If that is so, he should have more usable knowledge about the GM position than anyone currently living. :thumbup:

I was trying to find the optimistic side of this...somehow that didn't help me.:(

AmarilloRed
08-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Wasn't Jocketty a previous Special Assistant to the GM? I think fans have a right to be nervous. I voted No, but I certainly think it is a possibility with this owner.

harangatang
08-09-2008, 10:59 PM
As with any of the Reds recent GM's, each one has something they excel at and lack in other areas (such as putting a winning ballclub together). Bowden was good at constructing a bullpen and an offense. DanO was decent at his scouting abilities and Krivsky was good at picking up some players for next to nothing (both points are debatable). I honestly don't know what Bavasi was good at other than making unsuccessful huge splashes at some big players such as Bedard, Sexson, Beltre, etc. Hopefully there's something positive about Bavas, I don't about because I would love to think there's another reason other than Bob C having no idea what he is doing. I voted no because I think Jocketty is Bob C's man, but if Bob is desparate enough to win you never know what will happen.

Az Red
08-09-2008, 11:10 PM
No

RedsManRick
08-10-2008, 01:15 AM
Where's the "shoot me now" option?

GAC
08-10-2008, 06:26 AM
Where's the "shoot me now" option?

Duck Season!
Wabbit Season!

He doesn't have to shoot you know. He'll wait till he gets home ;)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fe/Rabbit_Fire.jpg