PDA

View Full Version : Votto on Bereavement list... Rosales called up...

jesusfan
08-09-2008, 03:53 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/transactions/index.jsp

Degenerate39
08-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Anyone know what happened?

Tom Servo
08-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Anyone know what happened?
"At Votto's request, the reason was not revealed."

Gainesville Red
08-09-2008, 06:33 PM
In the process, removing Marcus McBeth from the 40-man roster, designating him for assignment.

per Hal.

edabbs44
08-09-2008, 06:53 PM
In the process, removing Marcus McBeth from the 40-man roster, designating him for assignment.

per Hal.

Wow. Another feather falls from Wayne's cap.

redsmetz
08-09-2008, 06:55 PM

Oy vay! I wouldn't be RZ without the daily dose of Kick Krivsky.

RedEye
08-09-2008, 07:03 PM

Here's hoping that one day it isn't Kick Bavasi...

Spring~Fields
08-09-2008, 07:07 PM

Masters of the after thought and hindsight, and still missing the boat :)

edabbs44
08-09-2008, 07:07 PM

Plenty of people get kicked on a daily basis around here.

edabbs44
08-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Masters of the after thought and hindsight, and still missing the boat :)

No hindsight here.

remdog
08-09-2008, 07:08 PM
I've forgotten exactly but isn't the bereavment list only good for three or four days? Why do I expect Rosales to be kept when Votto comes back and see Jerry Hairston put on the 15 day DL after being used as a pinch hitter the day before?

Am I just being too cynical?:dunno:

Rem

JaxRed
08-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Does anyone know if Rosales has made it to the park? It sure would have been more interesting to see him rather than Valentin.

Tornon
08-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Does anyone know if Rosales has made it to the park? It sure would have been more interesting to see him rather than Valentin.

I imagine we will get to see him tomorrow vs. Wandy the lefty

*BaseClogger*
08-09-2008, 07:22 PM

You taking a shot at Krivsky? Now I've seen it all! :rolleyes:

edabbs44
08-09-2008, 07:33 PM
You taking a shot at Krivsky? Now I've seen it all! :rolleyes:

I can't figure out for the life of me why Krivsky, to some, is so untouchable around here. We can have thread after thread about Baker, Bowden, O'Brien and anyone else. But when it comes to Wayne, it's almost as if I am speaking negatively about Mother Teresa.

Always Red
08-09-2008, 10:56 PM
I can't figure out for the life of me why Krivsky, to some, is so untouchable around here. We can have thread after thread about Baker, Bowden, O'Brien and anyone else. But when it comes to Wayne, it's almost as if I am speaking negatively about Mother Teresa.

Well, it's because he's not quite a saint, like Mother Teresa, but some think that he definitely is a martyr. ;)

Az Red
08-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Plenty of people get kicked on a daily basis around here.

Please let me know when it's my turn.

Heath
08-09-2008, 11:15 PM

Because we've kicked all the above on a dead horse theme, and you still haven't got the memo that it's ok, we know where you stand.

:dunno:

Team Clark
08-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Please let me know when it's my turn.

It starts when you reach 1,000 posts. Get ready.

WVRedsFan
08-10-2008, 12:06 AM

Why? Because he was the anti-Castellini, Lindner, Bowden...take your pick. He brought us Phillips, Burton, Hamilton, etc. Of course the blunders and the contracts that are to this day keeping us from making the moves that we need to move--too much money for below replacement level players--are ignored.

I hate it when every discussion comes around to Krivsky because this board is so divided on the subject. Many worship him as the savior of the team and others look at him as contributing to the constant losing. There is little middle ground. My position has become that Wayne is gone and its time for the current leadership to make moves to get back to winning. It isn't working. The debate will go on for years over The Trade, Cordero, Freel, Cromier, etc. Many will point back to the day he was fired by that terrible tyrant Castellini as the day the Reds were sunk in losing. Others will point out that the roster is such a disfunctional mess that the team would never have won. Many will say he started to right the minor league system, while others will point out that the cupboard is bare down there with Jay Bruce and Joey Votto is now with the big club. And on it goes.

And winning won't help either. Many will say this player or that player was Wayne's player if they're doing well and others will point out those that are not doing so well.

What you said was correct. McBeth was supposed to be the jewel in that transaction and now he, like so many others is DFA'd. Being a GM is totally dependent on your won-loss record. Krivsky lost more than he won. He got canned. I didn't like the way it was done or when it was done, but it would have happened anyway by now if he had stayed. Giving Walt Jockkety a chance to correct this mess is only fair,but if it doesn't happen soon, he'll become the next villian of RZ, mainly because he's Castellini's man. Remember Castellini is the real villian here. And Wayne wasn't his man.

*BaseClogger*
08-10-2008, 12:36 AM
Because we've kicked all the above on a dead horse theme, and you still haven't got the memo that it's ok, we know where you stand.

:thumbup:

SMcGavin
08-10-2008, 02:10 AM
I can't figure out for the life of me why Krivsky, to some, is so untouchable around here.

Because this thread is about Votto and Rosales?

Mario-Rijo
08-10-2008, 03:33 AM

It's really very simple he acquired quite a bit of well above average talent for practically nothing and gave away almost none! He simply put was doing very well given the circumstances and what he had to work with. No other Red's leadership figure has done more (or remotely close IMO) in recent memory and in so little time. Krivsky could identify talent on both the pitching and positional fronts. Did he make mistakes? Sure he did but the ones he made were few and far between and mostly blown way out of proportion. When you have people like that in your organization you don't fire them it's down right moronic.

Castellini should take a page out of Steinbrenner's book and hire back a good G.M. and then take the reigns off so he can make a real difference.

Screwball
08-10-2008, 05:10 AM

SMcGavin 1; edabbs44 0

remdog
08-10-2008, 07:29 AM
So, while the vaunted ORG is engaged in their daily game of 'did to...did not, did to...did not' I went over to the Sun Deck where I found this posted by robmadden1:

700 WLW reported Voto's father died before the game last night.

If this is true, my condolences to Joey and the rest of his family.

Rem

08-10-2008, 08:06 AM
So, while the vaunted ORG is engaged in their daily game of 'did to...did not, did to...did not' I went over to the Sun Deck where I found this posted by robmadden1:

Rem

Sad to here. Good chance he was fairly youung.

NJReds
08-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Votto deserves all the time that he needs. Thoughts and prayers to Joey and his family.

Spring~Fields
08-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Reds notebook
Rosales called up to fill in for Votto
By Tom Ramstetter

Adam Rosales was making his way to Cincinnati Saturday afternoon to join the Reds after the ball club placed first baseman Joey Votto on the bereavement list.

The team has not disclosed the reason Votto will be out, per Votto's request, but he will miss the next three to seven days. To make room for Rosales on the 40-man roster, the Reds designated for assignment pitcher Marcus McBeth.

Rosales, 25, is hitting .281 with 28 doubles, seven triples, 10 home runs, 53 RBI and six stolen bases in 112 games for Triple-A Louisville.
"He started real slow this year," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "But he's come on real strong."

While the Reds were waiting for Rosales, Javier Valentin was given the start at first base.

Votto, hitting .280 with 14 home runs and 53 RBI, is eligible to come off the bereavement list Tuesday. He must be reinstated by Saturday.

PATTERSON No. 2: Center fielder Corey Patterson was moved up to the No. 2 spot in the batting order Saturday in Votto's place.

"Well, without Joey there, it's kind of the only option we have," Baker said. "I'd rather have Corey lead off, but he wasn't getting on base. So, we leave (Jeff) Keppinger there and have Corey behind him. We have speed in front of Jay (Bruce)."

NO LACK OF EFFORT: The Reds have lost five straight, eight of nine and 13 of 15 after Saturday's loss and are in last place in the NL Central, but Baker said before the game that the club hasn't given up.

"It's not through lack of effort," Baker said. "We're playing hard. Maybe not as smart as we should some times, but we're playing hard."

With a young team, mistakes - like Bruce trying to go from second to third on a ground ball earlier this week - are to be expected.

"Some of it's being young, trying to create and make things happen," Baker said. "I've done that, too."

HAIRSTON UPDATE: Jerry Hairston Jr. still wasn't ready to return to the lineup Saturday.

"He's better today," Baker said. "We just deal with it. We're not quite there. We're hoping he'll be ready in Pittsburgh. We have these two games and an off day. The off day helps us."

Hairston was honored as the club's recipient of the Major League Baseball Players Alumni Association Heart & Hustle Award.

CORDERO NEEDS WORK: Closer Francisco Cordero has been short on save opportunities lately and the lack of work showed Friday night when Houston scored four runs off him in the 10th inning.

"Closers like to pitch," Baker said. "The more they pitch, the sharper they get. The sharper they get, the more confident they get.

"He made a couple bad pitches."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080810/SPT04/808100382/1071

_Sir_Charles_
08-10-2008, 10:30 AM
It's a shame that it has to come due to a loss in Votto's family, but it's great to see Rosales up here. I figured he'd be a September call up anyway...nice to see him earlier. He'll be a regular fixture in the lineup come next season. Bank it. As for Joey...my condolances, hopefully the Reds will give him all the time he needs.

edabbs44
08-10-2008, 10:52 AM

Does that mean there is a ban on mentioning Dusty when Corey Patterson is brought up in a thread?

And the thread isn't 100% about Votto and Rosales.

edabbs44
08-10-2008, 10:55 AM

Is the Corey Patterson, Dusty Baker, Paul Bako, Carl Linder, Jim Bowden and Dan O'Brien horse still alive? It seems like it is on many threads.

Bottom line is that one of the "positive" acquisitions of a prior GM has been DFA'ed. I think that it was a relevant comment.

Highlifeman21
08-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Since I'm confused, what's Rosales true position?

Glorified utility infielder?

OnBaseMachine
08-10-2008, 09:01 PM
That is very sad to hear about Votto's dad.

As for Rosales, it's sad that is happened this way but it's good to see him in Cincy. Hopefully he stays when Votto returns. Get rid of Andy Phillips and keep Rosales as a utility who can play some 1B, 3B, and occasional shortstop. He got off a rough start but I still like his bat.

dougdirt
08-10-2008, 09:07 PM
PATTERSON No. 2: Center fielder Corey Patterson was moved up to the No. 2 spot in the batting order Saturday in Votto's place.

"Well, without Joey there, it's kind of the only option we have," Baker said. "I'd rather have Corey lead off, but he wasn't getting on base. So, we leave (Jeff) Keppinger there and have Corey behind him. We have speed in front of Jay (Bruce)."

So Patterson wasn't getting on base enough to bat #1, so he is the best option for #2? :bash:

Heath
08-10-2008, 09:17 PM
So Patterson wasn't getting on base enough to bat #1, so he is the best option for #2? :bash:

an OPS of .550??? Hitting Second??? No where else to go but up!!!

2 outs and no one on in the bottom of the 1st, down by a couple of runs at home every time.

Reds Baseball. Catch it.

Sea Ray
08-10-2008, 11:35 PM

Rem

That's interesting and my sympathies to the Votto family...but doesn't it make you wonder if Joey said he didn't want it announced then why did WLW announce it?

Matt? Anyone?

NC Reds
08-10-2008, 11:45 PM
My prayers go out to Joey and the whole Votto family.

cincrazy
08-10-2008, 11:55 PM
That's interesting and my sympathies to the Votto family...but doesn't it make you wonder if Joey said he didn't want it announced then why did WLW announce it?

Matt? Anyone?

I can't believe that the news was actually leaked. Sickening. The news media is pathetic, end of story. All they care is about breaking the next big story, human emotions mean absolutely nothing.

Matt700wlw
08-11-2008, 12:47 AM

Matt? Anyone?

we weren't supposed to announce it, but we weren't informed of that until after the fact.....so somewhere, a line of communication was goofed. ...not good for all parties. The last thing we ever intended to do was disrespect Votto's wishes...

OnBaseMachine
08-11-2008, 01:13 AM
How long for Rosales?

Infielder Adam Rosales, who made his major-league debut Saturday with a line drive out to the right field corner, believes he is here on borrowed time probably until first baseman Joey Votto returns from bereavement leave.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends upon if the Reds are willing to eat the final six weeks of Corey Patterson's contract.

"I've worked hard for this and I'll take it for what it is, take it for the experience I'll get," said the 24-year-old 12th-round draft pick in 2005. "Definitely an honor. I'll do my best to learn and improve my game by being here."

Rosales was invited to camp last spring and was so impressive Baker wanted to keep him, but there was no room and he was sent to Class AAA Louisville, where he hit .281.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2008/08/11/ddn081108spredsnotes.html

Ltlabner
08-11-2008, 08:36 AM

But you see Doug, CPatt has speed. So it's important that he be at the top of the lineup so Bruce can move him over.

That he is likely to never make it to first base to utalize his speed is irrelvant.

That the speed-game of the 70's and 80's Dusty grew-up playing ended when papa Bush was still in office is also irrelvant.

Besides, we all know your CF and SS bat at the top of the lineup.

Dustyball!

deltachi8
08-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Reds Baseball. Catch it.

If you do, i suggest seeing a doctor to get rid of it.

ochre
08-11-2008, 10:16 AM
So, CPatt wasn't OBPing enough, but Kepp w/ his .222 (.238 for the month of July and downhill from there) since the ASB is?

So, of course I have to go look at patterson's obp. He's at .308 for the last 7 days. Maybe Baker should talk less.

How many number 8 hitters can one team play?

princeton
08-11-2008, 10:17 AM
my preseason choices for minor league breakouts were Rosales (hitter) and Ramon Ramirez (pitcher). Darn near picked Daryl Thompson...

anyhow, they've still got a chance.

westofyou
08-11-2008, 11:50 AM

Matt? Anyone?

Because WLW is hack station with great equipment, nothing else can be said to enhance that fact or retract the truth from it.

Ltlabner
08-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Because WLW is hack station with great equipment, nothing else can be said to enhance that fact or retract the truth from it.

Except, of corse, those pesky little details....

we weren't supposed to announce it, but we weren't informed of that until after the fact.....so somewhere, a line of communication was goofed. ...not good for all parties. The last thing we ever intended to do was disrespect Votto's wishes...

OnBaseMachine
08-11-2008, 11:54 AM
my preseason choices for minor league breakouts were Rosales (hitter) and Ramon Ramirez (pitcher). Darn near picked Daryl Thompson...

anyhow, they've still got a chance.

Those were two fine choices. Ramirez is having a breakout season in AAA (3.35 ERA, 81 K in 80.2) and has been especially hot lately (1.99 ERA, 51 K in 49.2 IP) in his last 10 appearances. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Cincy in September. He's already on the 40-man roster.

westofyou
08-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Except, of corse, those pesky little details....

Believe what you want, I know what crap is and WLW churns it out like no one else.

RedsManRick
08-11-2008, 12:24 PM
But you see Doug, CPatt has speed. So it's important that he be at the top of the lineup so Bruce can move him over.

That he is likely to never make it to first base to utalize his speed is irrelvant.

That the speed-game of the 70's and 80's Dusty grew-up playing ended when papa Bush was still in office is also irrelvant.

Besides, we all know your CF and SS bat at the top of the lineup.

Dustyball!

I swear, I will never understand this. Why do you need speed in front of your power hitters? They hit the ball far. You don't need to be a burner to score from 1st on a HR... And stealing second is less valuable when the guy at the plate can drive the ball to the wall.

Dusty Baker is good at spouting meaningless drivel. He just isn't so good at the thinking logically for himself.

I fully understand that our choices are worse and worser right now. But Dusty is just incapable of coming up with a solution on his own -- he needs a paint-by-numbers team or we end up with a smeared brown mess.

Big Klu
08-11-2008, 01:06 PM
It's like Gary Burbank used to say, "Your right to know supersedes your right to exist."

nate
08-11-2008, 01:17 PM
I swear, I will never understand this. Why do you need speed in front of your power hitters? They hit the ball far. You don't need to be a burner to score from 1st on a HR... And stealing second is less valuable when the guy at the plate can drive the ball to the wall.

Dusty Baker is good at spouting meaningless drivel. He just isn't so good at the thinking logically for himself.

I fully understand that our choices are worse and worser right now. But Dusty is just incapable of coming up with a solution on his own -- he needs a paint-by-numbers team or we end up with a smeared brown mess.

That ain't paint.

Triples
08-11-2008, 02:00 PM

Well maybe there's a lesson to be learned here. Sometimes its better to do it right than to do it first. Did anyone take the time to find out if it was ok to announce it to the world or to see what Joey's preference was? Or if you hear something is it just assumed to be ok? This wasn't just another announcement....this is about the death of a player's father. Few things are more personal than that and the media managed to reduce it down to just another press release. Makes me glad I'm not in that profession.

Big Klu
08-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Let's not pile on Matt. While I believe that the overall quality of WLW has taken a sharp decline in the last 20 years, there are still good people (like Matt) who work there.

*BaseClogger*
08-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Let's not pile on Matt. While I believe that the overall quality of WLW has taken a sharp decline in the last 20 years, there are still good people (like Matt) who work there.

I agree. Matt is a great poster and I don't like to see everyone gang up on him like this...

cincrazy
08-11-2008, 03:11 PM
I agree. Matt is a great poster and I don't like to see everyone gang up on him like this...

Amen. Matt has nothing to do with it whatsoever.

nate
08-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Any news on how Votto's doing?

OnBaseMachine
08-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Any news on how Votto's doing?

Fay says he's expected to return from the Bereavement list on Saturday.

TeamBoone
08-12-2008, 06:20 PM
As it was said on air and in several newspaper articles on the very day Votto departed that he didn't want the reason made public, there is no way WLW could not have known, especially since they aired the reason well after the fact.

mbgrayson
08-13-2008, 01:35 AM
Well, it is now public in Canada. The obituary for Joey's dad is now online on the Toronto Star web site:

JOSEPH VOTTO 52 years, on Friday, August 8, 2008 of Toronto. Beloved husband of 29 years to Wendy (Howell). Proud, devoted and loving father of Joey, Tyler, Paul and Ryan. Predeceased by his parents Joseph and Joyce. Will be sadly missed by his brothers and sisters, Richard Rothera and Joanne, Sharon Rothera and Warren, Paul Votto and Lori, Kathy Votto (1983), Brenda Beneteau and Doug, brother-in-law of Peggy Humber and Paul. Son-in-law of Norman and Betty Howell. Also survived by many nieces and nephews. Joseph was a talented Executive Red Seal Chef. Visiting Wednesday from 7 - 9 p.m. and Thursday, from 2-5 and 7-9 p.m. with Funeral Service to be held Friday, August 15, 2008, 10:30 a.m. at Melady Funeral Home, 572 Notre Dame, Belle River, 519-728-1500. Interment St. Simon and St. Jude Cemetery. Online condolences may be made at www.meladyfuneral.ca

The obituary is online HERE (http://www.torontostarclassifieds.com/pdfimages/1383633_20080812191358_000+1383633_AdPDF.pdf).

Joey and his family are in my prayers. God help them through this difficult time.

Degenerate39
08-13-2008, 01:38 AM
I hope Joey is doing alright. That's got to be rough on him to leave his family so soon to get back to work. I hope he comes back and tears it up here. And win Rookie of the Year for his dad.

WVRedsFan
08-13-2008, 01:48 AM
Having lost my father so many years ago, it was a devastating thing that still stays with me today. My father was 72 years old (I was a surprise late in life), but I miss his advice, his support and his just being there for me. Like many on this thread, I hope Joey is doing OK and I offer good thoughts and prayers for him and his family.

Losing a father so young is a terrible thing and while I really don't understand why he didn't want to make it public, his wishes should have been honored. Sure, it would have come out sooner than later, but it seemed a little or a lot disrepective to anounce the reason for his leave. Regardless, I hope he's dong OK.

Big Klu
08-13-2008, 02:18 AM
I hope Joey is doing alright. That's got to be rough on him to leave his family so soon to get back to work. I hope he comes back and tears it up here. And win Rookie of the Year for his dad.

One thing I feel very confident about is that Dusty Baker will do everything he can to make Votto's transition as easy as possible. He (and Walt Jocketty) will likely give Joey as much time off as he needs. Say what you want about The Dusty's in-game managerial skills, but when it comes to people skills in situations like this, he is top-shelf.

Sea Ray
08-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Wow. 52 is very young. I wonder if it was sudden.

RedlegJake
08-13-2008, 09:53 AM
When I lost dad I almost lost my mind and I was 49 at the time. My prayers are with Joey and his family. Things like this magnify the insignificance of baseball, yet magnify it's power to heal for those who love the game. I had been lukewarm as a Reds fan since the late 70s but when dad died, I found his posts on RedsZone and found myself drawn back to the Reds as a consequence. Now baseball is a big part of my life again and I always feel a connection to him when listening to games.

Sea Ray
08-13-2008, 10:02 AM
When I lost dad I almost lost my mind and I was 49 at the time. My prayers are with Joey and his family. Things like this magnify the insignificance of baseball, yet magnify it's power to heal for those who love the game. I had been lukewarm as a Reds fan since the late 70s but when dad died, I found his posts on RedsZone and found myself drawn back to the Reds as a consequence. Now baseball is a big part of my life again and I always feel a connection to him when listening to games.

Your Dad died in the late 70s but he posted on Redszone??? Am I missing something?

Triples
08-13-2008, 05:20 PM

First, my comment wasn't intended specifically for Matt. It was intended for the media in general who are so quick to be the first in the that pool they sometimes fail to look to if its the deep end or the shallow end they are diving in to. With that said, I don't know Matt and if he was in fact not involved, it was a bit heroic of him to essentially take the blame by using the word "we" in his statement. My apologizes to Matt if he was not personally involved but my opinion of the media remains unchanged. Who ever released this information prematurely should be mortified by their own behavior.

_Sir_Charles_
08-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Your Dad died in the late 70s but he posted on Redszone??? Am I missing something?

No biggie, you just misread it. He was a FAN in the 70's...not died in the 70's. You just missed the "but".

Roy Tucker
08-13-2008, 05:40 PM
No biggie, you just misread it. He was a FAN in the 70's...not died in the 70's. You just missed the "but".

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but RedlegJake's father is Charles Elledge aka Old Red Guard.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34411

RedlegJake
08-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but RedlegJake's father is Charles Elledge aka Old Red Guard.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34411

Yes he misread it (or more accurately I probably mis-wrote it). My dad was ORG. I was 49 when he died BUT I had become lukewarm about Reds baseball in the late 70s when the Reds were so stupid about free agency and basically let a great team go to shreds in a couple of seasons. I only became very rabid again as Dad fell ill and I began following the Reds with him and reading his posts on RedsZone. That was only a little over 5 years ago.

ochre
08-13-2008, 10:40 PM
actually, the pluperfect made it something that had occurred before some other event. The but helped, but it was fine with just the tense used.

WebScorpion
08-14-2008, 11:50 AM
My prayers are with Joey. There is so much tied up in a man's relationship with his dad. I hope he is able to go on soon and grows with it. Pain is part of life, and like my father, I've always had a much easier time dealing with physical pain than emotional pain. My Da's been gone a year and a half and I still hear him speaking to me ... he lives on in my heart. I pray that Joey gets all the support he needs and more.

MartyFan
08-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Prayers for the entire Votto family. 52 is for sure too young.

God bless them.