PDA

View Full Version : John Fay, Another Winter Or Two Away

Spring~Fields
08-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Another winter or two away
Reds insider
By John Fay

Right now would be the perfect time for the Reds to ask for patience. You know, the we're-going-to-get-this-right-but-it's-going-to-take-time speech.

General manager Walt Jocketty didn't take that tack Saturday. When asked if what ails the Reds could be corrected in one offseason, Jocketty said: "I hope so. I don't think we're that far away. ... We thought we had a chance to finish strong."

A strong finish doesn't look remotely possible given the way the Reds are playing right now. Going into Saturday's game, they had lost 12 of 14.

So though it would seem like a good time to sit back and take the long view, the Reds have made it pretty clear since Bob Castellini took over that the club was going to go for the quick fix. The Reds have tried to do this while infusing young talent at the same time.

A lot of fans would like to see the Reds go all the way with the youth movement. That works as a concept, but the Reds don't have the talent in Triple-A to do that.

But Jocketty will certainly have the chance to reshape the roster this offseason. One thing Jocketty has in common with Wayne Krivsky is he doesn't tip his hand as to what he's going to do.

So far, Jocketty's been remarkably patient. The one thing we know is he didn't want Ken Griffey Jr. back at $16 million for next year, so he traded Griffey.

That's the only significant move he's made.

The offseason - and the rest of this season - won't be as quiet.
The Reds have 12 potential free agents on the roster.

Jocketty said Saturday that the club has not spoken to agents for any of those players about coming back.

The guess here is only a handful will be back. Mike Lincoln and Jerry Hairston Jr. probably. David Weathers maybe. Jeremy Affeldt possibly.

As for Adam Dunn, Jocketty remains noncommittal.
"No decision's been made," he said.
My guess is Dunn won't be back.

But that leads to the question about Dunn specifically and the free agents in general: Who do you replace them with?

"The big thing is who's available," Jocketty said. "The free agent class is not real strong. You've got to look at what you can do with trades."
One thing Jocketty won't do, he said, is trade young players.
"That kind of defeats the purpose of what we're trying to do," he said.

Here's what I see as the glaring needs of the team this offseason:
A frontline catcher: All three Reds catchers are free agents. The club has an option on David Ross. Ryan Hanigan had a very good year in Triple-A. He'll probably be the No. 2 guy next year. "Catching is extremely hard to obtain," Jocketty said.

Center field/leadoff: Hairston has been very good in that role. But he has trouble staying healthy. Ryan Freel is also under contract, so the Reds may hope that between Freel and Hairston they'll have the spot covered.

Shortstop: Alex Gonzalez is Plan A. But Jocketty admits you've got to have a Plan B, given Gonzalez's injury. "The medical reports are good," Jocketty said. "But you've got to play both ways. You can't count on him and then be stuck if he's not ready." Jeff Keppinger's a good backup plan. But if he's going to be your everyday guy, doesn't it make sense to put Brandon Phillips there?

A corner outfielder/big bat: This is assuming Dunn won't be back. Replacing Dunn's production won't be easy. Take 40 home runs, 100 RBI, 100 runs and 100 walks out of this lineup, and it's average, at best. As Jocketty mentioned, the free agent market is underwhelming.

There are other needs as well, of course. If the bullpen loses Weathers and Affeldt to free agency, they'll have to be replaced. The young starters - Edinson Volquez, Johnny Cueto, Homer Bailey and Daryl Thompson - have to continue to develop. The same can be said of outfielder Jay Bruce and first baseman Joey Votto.

A lot has to go right for this team to win in 2009.

Jocketty's record says he knows how to build a winner. He's watched this team on this abysmal streak. Still, he's convinced it can be fixed in one offseason. At the very least, you've got to credit him for optimism.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080810/COL09/808100436/1071

Rounding Third
08-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Planning to have Jerry Hairston Jr and Ryan Freel as our CF scares me in a big way.

RedLegSuperStar
08-10-2008, 10:58 AM
A lot does have to go right for this team to be competitive next year. Especially if Dunn isn't in the picture. Can Harang go back to form? Which Bronson will we see; pre All-Star or post? Can Encarnacion and Votto cut down on their errors? Who plays Center Field, Catcher, and if Dunn isn't back; then LF? Is Homer Bailey truley a future star; or bust? Does Dusty produce the winner or is it his players?

Degenerate39
08-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Planning to have Jerry Hairston Jr and Ryan Freel as our CF scares me in a big way.

Just keep the bench warm for when they're both on the DL.

RedLegSuperStar
08-10-2008, 11:03 AM

Yeah, but no mention of Chris Dickerson who will be 27 next year and has been a career minor leaguer. I think he deserves an oppertunity over Patterson this season and over Hopper, Freel, and Hairston next season.

MrCinatit
08-10-2008, 11:24 AM

Same here. Both will be 33 and this year, they have played a combined 36 games in center.
Only a couple of years away. Hm. Yeah. Heard that before. The Reds are starting to remind me a bit of Van Halen - the lead singer keeps changing, but the tunes are still the same. But instead of Eddie on lead guitar, we have Reggie (Baker) from The Archies.

edabbs44
08-10-2008, 11:58 AM
I had a lot of hope for Jocketty.

NJReds
08-10-2008, 12:01 PM
The Hairston/Freel in CF suggestion was Fay's, not Jocketty's. I don't think Walt will be content with that duo.

MWM
08-10-2008, 12:03 PM
This team has been a winter or two away for the past 10 years.

nate
08-10-2008, 12:09 PM
I thought by the title it meant that John Fay was another winter or two away from busting out of his writing slump.

princeton
08-10-2008, 12:13 PM
General manager Walt Jocketty didn't take that tack Saturday. When asked if what ails the Reds could be corrected in one offseason, Jocketty said: "I hope so. I don't think we're that far away. The free agent class is not real strong. You've got to look at what you can do with trades."

I agree with all of that.

1.don't trade the young current major leaguers.
2. I don't think we're that far away.
3. focus on trades

number 3's the big unknown. What's out there? does anyone like what we've got to trade?

Chip R
08-10-2008, 12:16 PM
I thought by the title it meant that John Fay was another winter or two away from busting out of his writing slump.

You actually have to be good first in order to be in a slump. It's like saying Juan Castro's slumping.

Kc61
08-10-2008, 12:30 PM
I don't think we will recognize this team next year, except for the unis. No matter what Walt says, I expect a heavy makeover. Young guys from AAA and new guys in trades.

The Griffey trade and Ross DFA are just the start.

This off season could be much more exciting than the actual season has been, although that doesn't say very much.

Patrick Bateman
08-10-2008, 12:48 PM
I had a lot of hope for Jocketty.

Actions speak louder than words. Let's see what moves he makes before annointing him a lost cause.

mth123
08-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Actions speak louder than words. Let's see what moves he makes before annointing him a lost cause.

He made a good one today.

Rounding Third
08-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Yeah, but no mention of Chris Dickerson who will be 27 next year and has been a career minor leaguer. I think he deserves an oppertunity over Patterson this season and over Hopper, Freel, and Hairston next season.

Agreed. Patterson is at the bottom of the totum pole of who deserves chances.

KronoRed
08-10-2008, 01:40 PM
THe real question us how close are we to 82 wins? ;)

edabbs44
08-10-2008, 01:45 PM

Agreed, but his words haven't given me much comfort.

Let's see...weak FA class and not trading youngsters. Unelss he thinks the solution(s) is/are in house or that he can pull 4 to 5 miracle trades in the off-season, I can't see how he thinks this team can become a contender in the near-term.

WVRedsFan
08-10-2008, 02:17 PM
All I got from this was:

1. Dunn will not be signed
2. We're going to get rid of the chaff and obtain better players
3. We're going with youth over expensive veterans
4. Walt thinks a tuneup with the pitching we have is enough to contend.

We'll see, but his track record indicates he knows what he is doing. Seeing throught the mess that David Ross was is/was a good start.

Patrick Bateman
08-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Agreed, but his words haven't given me much comfort.

Let's see...weak FA class and not trading youngsters. Unelss he thinks the solution(s) is/are in house or that he can pull 4 to 5 miracle trades in the off-season, I can't see how he thinks this team can become a contender in the near-term.

I wasn't particularly enamoured with Jocketty's words either, but sometimes it's just GM speak. What he says to the public is likely a lot different from the internal plan. When it comes down to it, the moves he makes will speak for themselves, and that's when we'll really find out what kind of path the Reds are on.

Spring~Fields
08-10-2008, 02:56 PM
All I got from this was:

1. Dunn will not be signed
2. We're going to get rid of the chaff and obtain better players
3. We're going with youth over expensive veterans
4. Walt thinks a tuneup with the pitching we have is enough to contend.

We'll see, but his track record indicates he knows what he is doing. Seeing throught the mess that David Ross was is/was a good start.

I am convinced that Bako will be back along with Hairston and Patterson. Patterson should have went with Ross. Dickerson could have came up under the same premise as Hannigan, giving them a chance.

Cheap filler.

Sea Ray
08-10-2008, 04:51 PM
You could make a case of DFA any of our three catchers but to me I would have designated one of the other two before Ross. Why is Paul Bako still on this team? Seems to me he'd make a good bullpen catcher at this point in his career.

Spring~Fields
08-10-2008, 06:04 PM
The Reds are now projecting to lose 101 games the worst losing season in the 2000 decade.

52 67 .437
162 - 119 43 *.437 19 61 wins, correction per Sea Ray 91 losses. :)

Sea Ray
08-10-2008, 06:12 PM
The Reds are now projecting to lose 101 games the worst losing season in the 2000 decade.

52 67 .437
162 - 119 43 *.437 19 61 wins 101 losses

I can't really follow your chicken scratch above but I guess you're saying their record of 52-67 equals a .437 winning percentage which is pretty much what they achieved last year. A .437 over 162 games would give you a record of 71-91. So where did the 101 losses come from?

Spring~Fields
08-10-2008, 06:16 PM
I can't really follow your chicken scratch above but I guess you're saying their record of 52-67 equals a .437 winning percentage which is pretty much what they achieved last year. A .437 over 162 games would give you a record of 71-91. So where did the 101 losses come from?

43 games left * .437 win pct = 19 additional wins = 71 wins ...hey your right thanks for catching that.

That's better, I will only be three over my prediction. ;)

Looks like the pitching had not improved as much as I thought this year. I think that 91 losses would be the worst since 2003, check that Sea Ray, will ya. :D

Sea Ray
08-10-2008, 06:31 PM
43 games left * .437 win pct = 19 additional wins = 71 wins ...hey your right thanks for catching that.

That's better, I will only be three over my prediction. ;)

Looks like the pitching had not improved as much as I thought this year. I think that 91 losses would be the worst since 2003, check that Sea Ray, will ya. :D

91 losses sounds about right. I don't know about 3 over your prediction. That's still a full ten games from 101 losses.

This team is flat out horrible now. I can't even think of many innings in which they've led a game in the past week. I think they'll win a few in Sept when they call in some fresh bodies. This August Reds team is flat out unwatchable. For me it officially became unwatchable in the 8th inning last night when Corey Patterson was left in to hit in the 8th inning against a LOOGY with a RISP. It's not bad enough that Corey is on this team...that he is played regularly...that Dusty puts him at the top of the order (#2)...but no. He has to make us see him flail at three pitches in a key 8th inning AB. Sorry Dusty. If you don't care about winning any more than that then why should I?

Spring~Fields
08-10-2008, 06:45 PM
91 losses sounds about right. I don't know about 3 over your prediction. That's still a full ten games from 101 losses.

This team is flat out horrible now. I can't even think of many innings in which they've led a game in the past week. I think they'll win a few in Sept when they call in some fresh bodies. This August Reds team is flat out unwatchable. For me it officially became unwatchable in the 8th inning last night when Corey Patterson was left in to hit in the 8th inning against a LOOGY with a RISP. It's not bad enough that Corey is on this team...that he is played regularly...that Dusty puts him at the top of the order (#2)...but no. He has to make us see him flail at three pitches in a key 8th inning AB. Sorry Dusty. If you don't care about winning any more than that then why should I?

They are really rough to watch now with any real interest.

They have lost 16 of their last 20 since July 20, 4/20 .200 win pct and 18 of their last 24 6/24 .250 win pct. 43*.200 9 win projection 61 wins 100 losses or 43*.250 11 win projection 63 wins 99 losses. I don’t think they will reach a 100 losses but they have a shot at being the worst in the decade.

Unless I messed up again.

http://www.scoreboard.msnbc.com/msnbc/main.asp?frames=0&sport=mlb&cat=TS&team=17

66-96
78-84
69-93
76-86
73-89
80-82
72-90

Sea Ray
08-10-2008, 06:53 PM
I donít think they will reach a 100 losses but they have a shot at being the worst in the decade.

Unless I messed up again.

http://www.scoreboard.msnbc.com/msnbc/main.asp?frames=0&sport=mlb&cat=TS&team=17

66-96
78-84
69-93
76-86
73-89
80-82
72-90

The way they're playing now I wouldn't rule anything out except a winning season...

Spring~Fields
08-10-2008, 06:55 PM
The way they're playing now I wouldn't rule anything out except a winning season...

Yeah, even I can get that one right . :)

WVRedsFan
08-10-2008, 06:58 PM
They are really rough to watch now with any real interest.

They have lost 16 of their last 20 since July 20, 4/20 .200 win pct and 18 of their last 24 6/24 .250 win pct. 43*.200 9 win projection 61 wins 100 losses or 43*.250 11 win projection 63 wins 99 losses. I donít think they will reach a 100 losses but they have a shot at being the worst in the decade.

Tough to watch? Are you kidding me. Even in the leanest of seasons, i used to always watch, even on sunny days like this. I watched the first inning, watched the NASCAR race for awhile and came back in the 5th. It was already 8-0 by then, so I switched back to the race and came back just in time to see Gary Majewski do what he does. How frustrating.

For all the griping around here about Dusty Baker, I simply feel that you cannot blame the record on the manager in this case. The pitching is horrible, back to 2006 horrible almost, and most of the hitters are hackers, hitting at the first pitch or an early one and making outs. I know from experience that you can tell a player what to do, but when they go up to the plate or out in the field, you cannot control what they do. This team does not have the level of talent everyone thought it had. It's going to be a long way back.

Spring~Fields
08-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Tough to watch? Are you kidding me. Even in the leanest of seasons, i used to always watch, even on sunny days like this. I watched the first inning, watched the NASCAR race for awhile and came back in the 5th. It was already 8-0 by then, so I switched back to the race and came back just in time to see Gary Majewski do what he does. How frustrating.

For all the griping around here about Dusty Baker, I simply feel that you cannot blame the record on the manager in this case. The pitching is horrible, back to 2006 horrible almost, and most of the hitters are hackers, hitting at the first pitch or an early one and making outs. I know from experience that you can tell a player what to do, but when they go up to the plate or out in the field, you cannot control what they do. This team does not have the level of talent everyone thought it had. It's going to be a long way back.

Well let's hope that Bob Castellini is right this time, Lord knows he has turned over enough people with his hit and miss hiring and firing. Walt Jocketty is saying that there is no quick fix I think if I am perceiving him correctly, so maybe if he can get 2, 3, or 4 years he can get this turned around for the first time since 1999 or before, he has quite the challenge before him though.

OnBaseMachine
08-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Another winter or two away
Reds insider
By John Fay

Right now would be the perfect time for the Reds to ask for patience. You know, the we're-going-to-get-this-right-but-it's-going-to-take-time speech.

General manager Walt Jocketty didn't take that tack Saturday. When asked if what ails the Reds could be corrected in one offseason, Jocketty said: "I hope so. I don't think we're that far away. ... We thought we had a chance to finish strong."

A strong finish doesn't look remotely possible given the way the Reds are playing right now. Going into Saturday's game, they had lost 12 of 14.

So though it would seem like a good time to sit back and take the long view, the Reds have made it pretty clear since Bob Castellini took over that the club was going to go for the quick fix. The Reds have tried to do this while infusing young talent at the same time.

A lot of fans would like to see the Reds go all the way with the youth movement. That works as a concept, but the Reds don't have the talent in Triple-A to do that.

But Jocketty will certainly have the chance to reshape the roster this offseason. One thing Jocketty has in common with Wayne Krivsky is he doesn't tip his hand as to what he's going to do.

So far, Jocketty's been remarkably patient. The one thing we know is he didn't want Ken Griffey Jr. back at $16 million for next year, so he traded Griffey.

That's the only significant move he's made.

The offseason - and the rest of this season - won't be as quiet.
The Reds have 12 potential free agents on the roster.

Jocketty said Saturday that the club has not spoken to agents for any of those players about coming back.

The guess here is only a handful will be back. Mike Lincoln and Jerry Hairston Jr. probably. David Weathers maybe. Jeremy Affeldt possibly.

As for Adam Dunn, Jocketty remains noncommittal.
"No decision's been made," he said.
My guess is Dunn won't be back.

But that leads to the question about Dunn specifically and the free agents in general: Who do you replace them with?

"The big thing is who's available," Jocketty said. "The free agent class is not real strong. You've got to look at what you can do with trades."

Here's what I see as the glaring needs of the team this offseason:
A frontline catcher: All three Reds catchers are free agents. The club has an option on David Ross. Ryan Hanigan had a very good year in Triple-A. He'll probably be the No. 2 guy next year. "Catching is extremely hard to obtain," Jocketty said.

Center field/leadoff: Hairston has been very good in that role. But he has trouble staying healthy. Ryan Freel is also under contract, so the Reds may hope that between Freel and Hairston they'll have the spot covered.

Shortstop: Alex Gonzalez is Plan A. But Jocketty admits you've got to have a Plan B, given Gonzalez's injury. "The medical reports are good," Jocketty said. "But you've got to play both ways. You can't count on him and then be stuck if he's not ready." Jeff Keppinger's a good backup plan. But if he's going to be your everyday guy, doesn't it make sense to put Brandon Phillips there?

A corner outfielder/big bat: This is assuming Dunn won't be back. Replacing Dunn's production won't be easy. Take 40 home runs, 100 RBI, 100 runs and 100 walks out of this lineup, and it's average, at best. As Jocketty mentioned, the free agent market is underwhelming.

There are other needs as well, of course. If the bullpen loses Weathers and Affeldt to free agency, they'll have to be replaced. The young starters - Edinson Volquez, Johnny Cueto, Homer Bailey and Daryl Thompson - have to continue to develop. The same can be said of outfielder Jay Bruce and first baseman Joey Votto.

A lot has to go right for this team to win in 2009.

Jocketty's record says he knows how to build a winner. He's watched this team on this abysmal streak. Still, he's convinced it can be fixed in one offseason. At the very least, you've got to credit him for optimism.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080810/COL09/808100436/1071

If David Weathers is back next season then Jocketty needs fired. And bringing Hairston back on a one year deal as a backup isn't an awful deal, but anointing him the starting center fielder is.

Patrick Bateman
08-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Firing him if he brings back Weathers? I would prefer Weathers go away too, but that seems more than a tad harsh for a middle relief decision. Of that's the standard, Krivsky should have been gone long before he did.

OnBaseMachine
08-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Firing him if he brings back Weathers? I would prefer Weathers go away too, but that seems more than a tad harsh for a middle relief decision. Of that's the standard, Krivsky should have been gone long before he did.

I was halfway kidding.:D I'm not a big David Weathers fan and Walt Jocketty is starting to become very frustrating with his very, very, very patient approach.

remdog
08-10-2008, 10:41 PM
And bringing Hairston back on a one year deal as a backup isn't an awful deal, but anointing him the starting center fielder is.

That's Fay talking, not Jocketty.

Rem

Spring~Fields
08-10-2008, 10:45 PM
If David Weathers is back next season then Jocketty needs fired. And bringing Hairston back on a one year deal as a backup isn't an awful deal, but anointing him the starting center fielder is.

I think that especially I, and maybe some others forget the reports that you and doug give on the pitching and defensive players that are ready or near ready to help the Reds, I'm thinking primarily of relief pitchers.

I also have to think and to remind myself that it is very possible for Walt Jocketty to clean up the defense and the pitching, some from within, some from a trade and maybe even the FA market, there are relievers out there on this FA list, and then the Reds really should win more games next year, and maybe add a bat or two without going overboard.

Next year can be a good time for the Reds and us. I haven't reviewed every game log, but we know that the defense and pitching did contribute to costing several wins this year and that can be realistically reversed with some improvements without breaking the bank.

remdog
08-10-2008, 10:52 PM
.....Walt Jocketty is starting to become very frustrating with his very, very, very patient approach.

And what would you have him do? Maybe you'd like him to release the entire team and call up the L'ville Bats as Cincinnati's entry in the NL?

Geez Louise....you're 21 years old and you're impatient? Hell, I'm forty years older than you and a lot more likely to go toes up than you before the Reds next make the World Series and I can wait a few (bleepin') months. So can you. Give the man the opportunity do his job and to do it the right way.

Rem

OnBaseMachine
08-11-2008, 01:21 AM
And what would you have him do? Maybe you'd like him to release the entire team and call up the L'ville Bats as Cincinnati's entry in the NL?

Geez Louise....you're 21 years old and you're impatient? Hell, I'm forty years older than you and a lot more likely to go toes up than you before the Reds next make the World Series and I can wait a few (bleepin') months. So can you. Give the man the opportunity do his job and to do it the right way.

Rem

I'm not asking for a bunch of moves, just a few smaller ones like getting Chris Dickerson to Cincy to let him show what he's got. And Josh Roenicke. Just a few small moves like that to let some more of the younger guys get a chance to see if they can stick as solid contributors.

remdog
08-11-2008, 01:41 AM
I'm not asking for a bunch of moves, just a few smaller ones like getting Chris Dickerson to Cincy to let him show what he's got. And Josh Roenicke. Just a few small moves like that to let some more of the younger guys get a chance to see if they can stick as solid contributors.

You got a smaller move today. And if you got another one tomorrow and another one the next day and so on and so on you'd still be askin' for 'just a few more'.

If the Reds brought up Dickerson tommorrow and he bombed you'd be asking for Dorn or Szymanski or some guy that hit .289 at Billings. (famous shrug) That's just the way it is with fans.

Rem

WVRedsFan
08-11-2008, 01:44 AM

Rem

Yep. Me, too.

Theres very little Jocketty could do now or at the deadline. Of the players we have that could be traded, no one wants to give us anything for some of our dead weight--Patterson, Ross, Valentin, Bako, Phillips, etc. Arroyo and Dunn make too much money to trade unless we want to give them away. Weathers doesn't command much of anything and Affeldt wouldn't be with us if anyone else wanted him. No one wanted Dunn's salary for a rental. We were lucky to rid outselves of an aging superstar in Griffey (and I'll say this--I miss him and his production...yes. He contributed a lot).

You could have expected Gonzo, Hopper and Freel to be dangled, but they conveniently got hurt. But look at those names. What GM in their right minds wants any of them? We fool ourselves into thinking that we have a talented team and then you look at those names. We're nuts. We continue to think that the only thing wrong with this team is the manager or the hitting coach or the pitching coach. It's not true. We've had management over the last few years who valued marginal players and we're paying for it. Votto will be a good first sacker. You know Phillips' story. Gonzales was a backup until he came here. Encarnacion continues to develop, but he's been doing that and probably will until he's 40 while sailing throws over first base (that's not fair, but he is less than I want at third). Dunn will leave a hole in left that there is no one available to replace him. We need a centerfielder (and please do not mention Freel and Hairston to me--I might vommit). Our new rookie catcher is just that--a rookie. Harang is not the same, Arroyo is hot and cold. Volquez and Cueto are showing we are rookies, and Josh Fogg is simply horrible. At least we have the bullpen.

But we want the kids from AAA to "show what they can do." Boy Howdy, I'm looking forward to that.

I say it's spinach and I say to hell with it...

OnBaseMachine
08-11-2008, 01:58 AM
You got a smaller move today. And if you got another one tomorrow and another one the next day and so on and so on you'd still be askin' for 'just a few more'.

If the Reds brought up Dickerson tommorrow and he bombed you'd be asking for Dorn or Szymanski or some guy that hit .289 at Billings. (famous shrug) That's just the way it is with fans.

Rem

If you say so.