PDA

View Full Version : Dumbest Scene Ever in a Movie

MWM
08-10-2008, 11:09 AM
A couple of buddies and mine were talking about Ocean's 12 and how the Julia Roberts looking like, uh, Julia Roberts scene was perhaps the dumbest scene we've ever seen in a movie. So what's your dumbest scene?

Since I can't nominate the entire movie The Big Lebowski, I nominate the one above.

westofyou
08-10-2008, 11:16 AM
I caught the end of Transformers last night on the tube.

I nominate that... nothing worse than movie based on a toy line, written by guys who never had an original idea that didn't involve their pop culture addled life.

NJReds
08-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Any Godfather III scene with Sofia Coppola.

MrCinatit
08-10-2008, 11:22 AM

Her death scene alone killed the movie.

MWM
08-10-2008, 11:24 AM

Not a bad choice. The scene with the helicopter and the attempted massacre of all the mob heads was pretty ridiculous as well.

westofyou
08-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Red Dawn (which they are remaking) invaded by Cuba... ummmmm yeah.... sure right....

NJReds
08-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Not a bad choice. The scene with the helicopter and the attempted massacre of all the mob heads was pretty ridiculous as well.

Probably would've been better off leaving this movie "in production."

Picking on bad movies is easy.

How about the "alien" scene in Monty Python's "Life of Brian." Great movie, but this scene served no purpose, really.

SteelSD
08-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Star Wars Epidose I.

Young Anakin Skywalker accidentally gets trapped in a Naboo starfighter during a firefight, accidentially blows up some destroyer droids, accidentally flies into space, accidentially lands in exactly the right hanger in the enemy mothership, and then accidentally blows it up. The only thing that could have improved this comedy of movie-making would have been if Anakin had somehow found a way to blow up Jar Jar Binks in the process.

NJReds
08-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Star Wars Epidose I.

Young Anakin Skywalker accidentally gets trapped in a Naboo starfighter during a firefight, accidentially blows up some destroyer droids, accidentally flies into space, accidentially lands in exactly the right hanger in the enemy mothership, and then accidentally blows it up. The only thing that could have improved this comedy of movie-making would have been if Anakin had somehow found a way to blow up Jar Jar Binks in the process.

It wasn't luck ... it was the force. ;)

Yachtzee
08-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Red Dawn (which they are remaking) invaded by Cuba... ummmmm yeah.... sure right....

Sounds like it's being made by the same folks who wrote the Mighty Ducks 3, which I think is the one where they decided the big bad evil country should be Iceland. Maybe instead of Red Dawn, they should remake The Mouse that Roared. These days the actions of the Duchy of Grand Fenwick are more realistic than some of the convoluted ideas movie producers are coming up with.

Screwball
08-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Sounds like it's being made by the same folks who wrote the Mighty Ducks 3, which I think is the one where they decided the big bad evil country should be Iceland.

I thought that was was Mighty Ducks 2?

guttle11
08-10-2008, 12:52 PM
I thought that was was Mighty Ducks 2?

Yep. Mighty Ducks 3 was at the boarding school in Minnesota.

I will have no more of this Mighty Ducks bashing.

Hap
08-10-2008, 02:25 PM
I was not a fan of the Captain Howdy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Howdy) images from The Exorcist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exorcist_(film)). In my opinion, they added nothing to the plot and were not at all scary.

nate
08-10-2008, 02:26 PM
I was not a fan of the Captain Howdy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Howdy) images from The Exorcist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exorcist_(film)). In my opinion, they added nothing to the plot and were not at all scary.

I thought that was one of the scariest things I had ever seen.

westofyou
08-10-2008, 02:48 PM

Captain howdy's here but
We can't see him
We can't see them

Hammering the cramps
Hammering the cramps

improbus
08-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Any "love scene" between Anakin and Padme. They have negative chemistry. Those movies might have killed the once promising career of Natalie Portman.

The Baumer
08-10-2008, 04:45 PM
I nominate the entire movie Hancock but will single out the scene where Charlize Theron and Will Smith have a mega battle for no reason at all other than to show off cool CGI effects.

NJReds
08-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Any "love scene" between Anakin and Padme. They have negative chemistry. Those movies might have killed the once promising career of Natalie Portman.

From the movie: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth." :laugh:

Raisor
08-10-2008, 06:08 PM
You're killing our love, Anakin!!!

Yachtzee
08-10-2008, 08:47 PM
You're killing our love, Anakin!!!

More like "Your killing our careers, Mannequin!" Still, I think the dumbest scene in any of the Star Wars movies was either the whole CGI 50's Diner scene in the middle of the "Attack of the Clones" or, also from "Attack of the Clones," the whole Sound of Music garbage they pulled on Naboo. Between them running through the fields and gazing longingly into each others' eyes by the lake, I couldn't help but think that Jar Jar Binks was going to come pulling up in a canoe with a bunch of Ewoks dressed in play clothes made from the drapes.

improbus
08-10-2008, 09:38 PM
More like "Your killing our careers, Mannequin!" Still, I think the dumbest scene in any of the Star Wars movies was either the whole CGI 50's Diner scene in the middle of the "Attack of the Clones" or, also from "Attack of the Clones," the whole Sound of Music garbage they pulled on Naboo. Between them running through the fields and gazing longingly into each others' eyes by the lake, I couldn't help but think that Jar Jar Binks was going to come pulling up in a canoe with a bunch of Ewoks dressed in play clothes made from the drapes.
Will someone please stop George Lucas? Please? Anyone?

Trivia question: Why is "Empire" the best Star Wars movie? (There is a definitive answer as to why this is correct)

Caveat Emperor
08-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Trivia question: Why is "Empire" the best Star Wars movie? (There is a definitive answer as to why this is correct)

Because Lucas didn't write it or direct it?

Honestly, they should've let Lucas outline what he thought the story for the prequels should be and then let someone else come in and do all the writing and directing. Hell, if he wanted to keep it in the Star Wars "family," he could've let Timothy Zahn handle the writing -- the author of the only few Star Wars books worth reading.

As it stands, the first movie is completely unwatchable, the second only so if you skip tons of it, and the third marginally.

Caveat Emperor
08-10-2008, 11:19 PM
Oh yeah, and dumbest scene ever in a movie? So many to choose from...

You could write a book containing nothing but awful scenes from Batman & Robin including, but not limited to:

"Hi Freeze, I'm Batman"
"OK everybody, Chill!"
"Take two of these and call me in the morning."

Ugh....

Also on my list:

* - Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: Harrison Ford survives a nuclear detonation in a lead-lined 'fridge.

* - The X-Files: Mulder and Scully go from trapped, alone, in Antarctica with no working method of transportation back to the FBI HQ in Washington with no explanation given as to how they got there.

* - Mission Impossible 2: The last "fight" between Tom Cruise and whoever the hell the bad guy was in that one.

* - Star Trek V: They go to a planet and meet God -- who is promptly blown up by a Klingon photon torpedo. William Shatner clearly disliked going to Sunday school.

* - XXX: Vin Diesel informing the audience that his proficiency with guns came from playing a lot of "first person shooter video games when he had a broken leg." Yup. That's my generation they're appealing to right there.

If work is boring tomorrow, expect an update to this list, because I've seen a lot of really bad movies...

OldRightHander
08-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Any movie where one guy beats the tar out of about 35 other guys who have the common courtesy to come at him one at a time instead of using their numerical advantage.

Degenerate39
08-10-2008, 11:36 PM
Star Wars Epidose I.

Any scene with Jar Jark Binks is a dumb scene.

VR
08-10-2008, 11:58 PM
* - Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: Harrison Ford survives a nuclear detonation in a lead-lined 'fridge.

Wow. That was indeed really dumb. Throw in the fact that is was catapulted 'out' of the nuclear zone, and the 78 year old Indy struts away like he rolled off the couch.

The shooting scene in the jungle while standing on the jeeps was quiet lame as well.

jmcclain19
08-11-2008, 12:05 AM
In the movie Wanted, the would be assassin trainee is taught that with the right flick of the wrist he can bend the path of bullets as they exit his gun. Giving him the ability to make bullets boomerang and warp around any objects taking all kinds of arcs and S turns to reach their target. Then they keep using that all movie - repeatedly.

Just absolutely dumbfounded on that one.

SteelSD
08-11-2008, 08:02 AM
In the movie Wanted, the would be assassin trainee is taught that with the right flick of the wrist he can bend the path of bullets as they exit his gun. Giving him the ability to make bullets boomerang and warp around any objects taking all kinds of arcs and S turns to reach their target. Then they keep using that all movie - repeatedly.

The movie "Wanted" is based off the comic book limited series of the same name. Basically, Wesley has super powers inherited from his father and the "bullet bending", while not being in the comic, is there to demonstrate how "special" he is. I'm not saying it's not a dumb power, mind you, but at least it makes a bit more sense knowing the source of the original material on which the movie is based.

And if you ask me, the dumbest moment of that movie is when we learned that the "source" of the assassins' jobs was a freakin' loom (also not in the comic).

That movie, like so many others, was a wonderful example of Hollywood taking something great and then killing it.

WVRed
08-11-2008, 08:36 AM
Any movie with Jessica Alba in it. Nice to look at, but she couldn't act her way out of a paper bag.

Johnny Footstool
08-11-2008, 10:15 AM
"Roadhouse", the entire movie.

Raisor
08-11-2008, 10:48 AM

Now that's quite a bit enough!

What did poor Patrick Swayze do to you???

Oxilon
08-11-2008, 10:50 AM

Way off on that one; Patrick Swayze was robbed of an Oscar. His performance as Dalton was hands down one of the best acting performances of the last half century.

kaldaniels
08-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Oh yeah, and dumbest scene ever in a movie? So many to choose from...

You could write a book containing nothing but awful scenes from Batman & Robin including, but not limited to:

"Hi Freeze, I'm Batman"
"OK everybody, Chill!"
"Take two of these and call me in the morning."

Ugh....

Also on my list:

* - The X-Files: Mulder and Scully go from trapped, alone, in Antarctica with no working method of transportation back to the FBI HQ in Washington with no explanation given as to how they got there.

* - Mission Impossible 2: The last "fight" between Tom Cruise and whoever the hell the bad guy was in that one.

* - Star Trek V: They go to a planet and meet God -- who is promptly blown up by a Klingon photon torpedo. William Shatner clearly disliked going to Sunday school.

* - XXX: Vin Diesel informing the audience that his proficiency with guns came from playing a lot of "first person shooter video games when he had a broken leg." Yup. That's my generation they're appealing to right there.

If work is boring tomorrow, expect an update to this list, because I've seen a lot of really bad movies...

That style of bad lines was accurately foreshawdowed in the Simpsons a few years before Batman and Robin was released when McBain (Ahhnud) pops out of an ice statue and says...."ice to see you".

TRF
08-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Independence Day.

Specifically...

The Fresh Prince and The Fly take off in an alien spacecraft that hasn't flown in 50 years designed for telepathic beings with 8 foot long arms. the cockpit is re-designed in about 20 minutes, and after 30 seconds, The Fresh Prince flies to the mother ship, fires a nuclear missile, then out flies the entire TELEPATHIC alien armada. Oh, and this after The Fly uploads a virus with his Mac notebook. (ok, that part is believable as I feel Macs were created by aliens).

wretch.

improbus
08-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Battlefield Earth - where do I begin?

I think my favorite part is when the Man-Animals (or Rat Brains according to Travolta's character Terl) find an abandoned underground Air Force Base built into the side of a mountain. The base is 1000 years old, and yet the lights turn on with a flick of the switch. Then, they find a large collection of Harrier Jets fueled up and ready to go after 1000 years of neglect, and they learn to fly the Jets by turning on an overhead projector that happens to have instructions sitting on it. So, of course they outfly the Aliens with superior technology. Oh, and by the way, the Man-Animals, lead by the inimitable Barry Pepper, were fighting each other with sticks a week earlier. Now I'm not an expert on the Air Force procedures, but I'm going to guess that the Harrier with its unique capabilities is a VERY difficult plane to fly for trained experts, let alone people one step away from cave men.

I love that movie....

Johnny Footstool
08-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Independence Day.

Specifically...

The Fresh Prince and The Fly take off in an alien spacecraft that hasn't flown in 50 years designed for telepathic beings with 8 foot long arms. the cockpit is re-designed in about 20 minutes, and after 30 seconds, The Fresh Prince flies to the mother ship, fires a nuclear missile, then out flies the entire TELEPATHIC alien armada. Oh, and this after The Fly uploads a virus with his Mac notebook. (ok, that part is believable as I feel Macs were created by aliens).

wretch.

The least-compatible computer on Earth is somehow compatible with alien bugspeak technology.

TRF
08-11-2008, 12:28 PM
The least-compatible computer on Earth is somehow compatible with alien bugspeak technology?

The mac was developed by aliens.

Caveat Emperor
08-11-2008, 12:44 PM
That movie, like so many others, was a wonderful example of Hollywood taking something great and then killing it.

See: "League of Extraordinary Gentleman, The"

OldRightHander
08-11-2008, 12:51 PM
The least-compatible computer on Earth is somehow compatible with alien bugspeak technology.

My Mac can run Windows. My PC can't run Mac OS. Which one's more compatible?

KronoRed
08-11-2008, 01:05 PM
My PC can run MacOS, and I don't need another OS to run 80% of available software :p:

On topic, how about the entire movie of Pearl Harbor?

OldRightHander
08-11-2008, 01:08 PM

I'm with you there.

Roy Tucker
08-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Most Rocky movies where Rocky regularly gets hit by haymakers that would drop a Clydesdale. His face turns to hamburger but is otherwise unfazed.

"Adrian!".

Jack Burton
08-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Take your pick from any scenes in the following;

Shoot 'em up
Balls of Fury
Death Proof

RichRed
08-11-2008, 01:32 PM

I'll see your Pearl Harbor and raise you Reindeer Games (another Affleck gem).

Cyclone792
08-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Most Rocky movies where Rocky regularly gets hit by haymakers that would drop a Clydesdale. His face turns to hamburger but is otherwise unfazed.

"Adrian!".

But I always thought the proper technique in boxing is to use your own chin to block the opponent's punches!

Jeremy Piergallini
08-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Wow, I must like dumb movies:
The Big Lebowski (funny stuff there)
Shoot 'Em Up (loved it)
Transformers (#2 all time fav behind TDK)

I gotta get out more.

When I think of dumb movies, I just use the list put out for Oscar Movie of the YEar. Those usually are horrid pieces of work that I can't stand to watch.

TRF
08-11-2008, 02:56 PM
I think this thread is confused. I expect bad scenes in Battlefield Earth and Independence Day.

How about bad scenes in GOOD movies?

MrCinatit
08-11-2008, 03:15 PM
It is all in the perception of things.
Many years ago, I was watching The Godfather with a friend. The "Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes" scene came up. My friend was not impressed, as Michael did not know that the fish wrapped up in the bullet proof vest meant that the former owner was dead. "Everyone knows that!" he said.
I could not convince him that everyone knows that because of the movie.

durl
08-11-2008, 03:22 PM
- Most scenes in "Lost In Translation." Two decent actors, AWFUL movie. It's hard to pick a dumb scene because almost every single one was dumb.

- Star Wars Episode 1...all of it. Most people already mentioned why: lousy chemistry, dumb script, dumb concept. One of my favorite standout dumb scenes was when the Liam Neeson character was measuring the "force" within Anakin using a women's razor that was painted grey.

-

Jeremy Piergallini
08-11-2008, 03:40 PM
Only one thing was good in Star Wars Ep. 1. Darth maul. And they killed him off rather quickly. So, it was very on the FAIL Meter.

Caveat Emperor
08-11-2008, 06:08 PM
While we're bagging on Episode 1 -- they don't name Liam Neeson's Qui Gon Jinn until well over an hour into the film. Nobody uses his name until they meet Anakin's mother on Tatooine.

That's just horrific writing.

improbus
08-11-2008, 07:25 PM
How about the entire hospital sequence from Rocky II? The only good part is when Mickey says, "Well, what are we waitin' for?" Or maybe the running beach scene with a greased up Rocky and Apollo with the bizarre and sexually ambiguous hug in the surf...

Ltlabner
08-11-2008, 07:47 PM

You sir have no decency. The terriorists have won.

sonny
08-11-2008, 07:48 PM
How about the entire hospital sequence from Rocky II? The only good part is when Mickey says, "Well, what are we waitin' for?" Or maybe the running beach scene with a greased up Rocky and Apollo with the bizarre and sexually ambiguous hug in the surf...

Agreed. Though the end of Rocky II more than makes up for it. Everytime I see it I cry "Man tears"

Ltlabner
08-11-2008, 07:51 PM

I also found this especially irritating. Most people have a horrable lack of knowledge about firearms anyway, but I'm willing to bet that somewhere out there, some lugnut actually believes that people can do that with a gun because of that movie.

paintmered
08-11-2008, 08:56 PM

The Air Force historian in my organization can go on a two-hour rant about how Michael Bay pretty much screwed up everything in that movie.

Yachtzee
08-11-2008, 09:36 PM
The Air Force historian in my organization can go on a two-hour rant about how Michael Bay pretty much screwed up everything in that movie.

Kids out playing baseball, early on a Sunday morning?

In the Sound of Music, Fraulein Maria tells the Mother Superior she was late because the Untersberg just kept "calling her higher and higher." Although the Untersberg is just outside Salzburg, it is a sizable mountain and would take the better part of the day to reach on foot from Maria's convent in the center of Salzburg. Also from Sound of Music, they show the Von Trapps escaping into the mountains, looking back on what one assumes is Salzburg. Based on the direction they're looking, they're actually escaping over the mountains into Berchtesgaden, Germany, which also happened to be the location of Hitler's Alpine Hideaway.

LoganBuck
08-11-2008, 11:38 PM
One thing that has always annoyed me, that happens in many sports movies:

When a team wins their last game, and it is not a championship, and the movie ends.

Examples: Varsity Blues, they win the District Championship and it is the last game they ever play.

Major League and Major League II same deal.

Rookie of the Year never found out what happened to the Cubs in the World Series. My guess is they lost.

It just annoys me.

guttle11
08-11-2008, 11:45 PM
One thing that has always annoyed me, that happens in many sports movies:

When a team wins their last game, and it is not a championship, and the movie ends.

Examples: Varsity Blues, they win the District Championship and it is the last game they ever play.

Rookie of the Year never found out what happened to the Cubs in the World Series. My guess is they lost.

It just annoys me.

Varsity Blues doesn't annoy me simply because the movie wasn't about winning the title. Quite the opposite, actually.

minus5
08-12-2008, 10:01 AM

I'm not sure I would call them scenes though, it didn't even last a second.

Johnny Footstool
08-12-2008, 10:36 AM
You sir have no decency. The terrorists have won.

Hey, I'm not saying it wasn't awesome -- that fact is undeniable.

I'm just saying it was dumb. Dumbly awesome.

Jeremy Piergallini
08-12-2008, 11:28 AM
I like Michael Bay, really I do. Loved Armageddon, Bad Boys and really loved Transformers.

But when it comes to WWII movies, I want spielberg involved somehow.

pearl harbor was entertaining to me, but done in Bay's fashion which does not translate well to historical pieces such as the bombing of Pearl harbor.

BurgervilleBuck
08-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Dumbest scene ever in a movie... the elephant humping scene in The Love Guru.

In fact, just put every scene from The Love Guru in this category.

RedsManRick
08-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Dumbest scene ever in a movie... the elephant humping scene in The Love Guru.

In fact, just put every scene from The Love Guru in this category.

I think the scene where you gave somebody money for a ticket to The Love Guru was even dumber... :D

BurgervilleBuck
08-12-2008, 12:13 PM
I think the scene where you gave somebody money for a ticket to The Love Guru was even dumber... :D
Oh, I got that money back. The movie was the veritable floater in the punch bowl. Only not as adorable.

OldRightHander
08-12-2008, 01:03 PM
I can't stand Pearl Harbor, but for different reasons than most here. When it came out, my wife and I were still dating, and we dated long distance. She lived in Manhattan, KS and I lived in Cincinnati. We would make trips back and forth as often as we could and we called and emailed every day as well. She had just come to Cincinnati for a weekend. I had just been in Kansas the previous weekend and had proposed out there. So we had been engaged for about a week at the time and seeing her off at the airport wasn't easy. At least then (before 9/11) you could go to the gate without a ticket to see people onto the plane. So we're at the gate, newly engaged lovebirds that can't let go of one another, and then she has to get on the plane at the last minute. The plane takes off and I head back to the parking lot at CVG, suddenly feeling very lonely because I realize I can't talk to her until she gets off the plane in KC.

I figure that a movie is just the answer to get my mind off romantic topics for a few hours and I look in the paper for the listings. Wow, Pearl Harbor is showing in an hour. A war movie will be just the thing, a guy movie with action and violence to get the testosterone flowing. (I hadn't read the review.) Well, needless to say, the film did not do what I wanted it to do. The last thing I needed was all the romantic stuff in there. I left the theater disappointed because I had different expectations going in and I haven't watched it since.

Chip R
08-12-2008, 01:33 PM
I love the movie Bull Durham but there were a couple of scenes - really not scenes but bits of scenes - that seemed uncomfortable. One was where Crash and Nuke went over to Annie's to "try out" and I just thought the scene where she gave nuke his nickname seemed forced. Before that exchange and Crash's "I believe in the soul..." speech were fine but they all seemed like they were fake laughing. I also found the scene where Crash reported to the Bulls forced. Just the part where he said he was going to quit and tossed out several profanities. Not that I care about that but Costner's delivery seemed forced.

I agree about Pearl Harbor. I thought it was a pretty good yarn for a while until FDR stands up during his meeting. That blew the whole movie for me. I'm not necessarily a stickler for historical accuracy but that scene was awful.

Johnny Footstool
08-12-2008, 03:00 PM
I love the movie Bull Durham but there were a couple of scenes - really not scenes but bits of scenes - that seemed uncomfortable. One was where Crash and Nuke went over to Annie's to "try out" and I just thought the scene where she gave nuke his nickname seemed forced. Before that exchange and Crash's "I believe in the soul..." speech were fine but they all seemed like they were fake laughing. I also found the scene where Crash reported to the Bulls forced. Just the part where he said he was going to quit and tossed out several profanities. Not that I care about that but Costner's delivery seemed forced.

WHAAAAT?!? You're saying Kevin Costner isn't a good actor?

RedsFan75
08-12-2008, 03:37 PM
I don't know about you guys, but the flying bus from "Speed" always just kinda threw me for a loop!

Or the girl in Jurassic Park just suddenly being able to work and restart that computer system "Oh this is Unix" and can totally access a system that earlier had locked out the more experienced ones in the group.

KronoRed
08-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Jurassic Park 2, the little girl doing a gymnastics routine and taking down a raptor.

I was SO wanting her to become that Dino's lunch.

FlightRick
08-12-2008, 07:14 PM

My knowledge is far from encyclopedic on this issue, but off the tip of my brain, doesn't it seem like sports movies that end this way are pretty much DESIGNED to do so, so that whatever final game is shown is the "important" one, and anything else would have been laboring to tag on something unnecessary?

Like "Major League," you had the main plot, but they were also able, thoughout the course of the movie, to build the Yankees up into second-level antagonists without slowing down the pace. What's more satisfying: Paying off 90 minutes of the Yankees being the Indian's own personal El Guapo? Or tacking on additional games against teams with no "personality" and having to count on cut-aways to the owner's box in order to have an on-screen villian?

And also: "Miracle" was an awesome movie and all, but it's also 2 and a half hours long as it stands.... you're really telling me it would have benefitted from ANOTHER 20 minutes, just to chronicle an extra game against Luxemborg or whichever fifth-rate world power we had to beat AFTER the Russians? Never was there a wiser execution of the "gloss over the final tidbits and just go with the Animal-House-style freeze-frame captions" at the end of a movie, if you ask me....

Rick

PS: Worst Scene Ever is when the chick from "Saved by the Bell" suddenly busts out kung fu moves in "Showgirls" to beat up a bad guy and prove her toughness. A bunch of us armed with fake IDs showed up the see that dreck its opening weekend, and quickly became appaled at how unthinkably terrible it was. When we burst out laughing at the allegedly-dramatic turning point Kung Fu scene, we got "shushed" by most of the other people in the theatre, and decided to make "Showgirls" the only movie I have ever actually walked out on.

MrCinatit
08-12-2008, 07:40 PM
I am not sure if it was intentional, but I laughed out loud when Sheen hit the pavement in The Departed. Visually, it was actually rather comical.

Almost any scene with a kid in any movie. RedsFan75 mentioned Jurassic Park - there were so many awkward scenes with kids in that movie, especially the boy and Neill.

improbus
08-12-2008, 08:06 PM
How about Con Air when the guys go after Nick Cages character in the alley. He's a Green Beret, and they go after him. Real smart fellas.

MWM
08-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Another thing i could add is almost ALL car chase scenes. What a waste of time, IMO.

LoganBuck
08-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Another thing i could add is almost ALL car chase scenes. What a waste of time, IMO.

As long as the car chase scenes in The Blues Brothers are exempt, I agree.

Degenerate39
08-12-2008, 10:23 PM

It just annoys me.

You didn't see the kid's world series ring at the very end?

CrackerJack
08-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Of recent memory...the "waterfall" scene in the latest Raiders' movie, the nuclear explosion scene, and finally the jungle, vine-swinging sequence/scene in that movie.

MWM
08-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Of recent memory...the "waterfall" scene in the latest Raiders' movie, the nuclear explosion scene, and finally the jungle, vine-swinging sequence/scene in that movie.

Well, the last Indiana Jones movies was one of the worst I've seen in a while.

sonny
08-12-2008, 11:08 PM
click this, you wont be dissapointed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3OfXJddqQU

OldRightHander
08-12-2008, 11:23 PM

That's one big shark.

Screwball
08-12-2008, 11:25 PM

We actually turned Shark Attack 3: Megalodon into a drinking game back in college. I recall not really being able to stand after it was through.

:all_cohol

Oxilon
08-13-2008, 12:07 AM
All of this Michael Bay talk got me thinking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQvAapzuWUc

Degenerate39
08-13-2008, 12:44 AM

BEST VIDEO EVER!

jmcclain19
08-13-2008, 04:57 AM
It wasn't a scene in a movie, but rather a hit show, 24 - and is the reason I don't watch that show today.

In an embarrassing lack of total knowledge of physics, rocketry and basic science, the 4th season is finalized by a ICBM launched from Iowa traveling "500mph" towards LA.

The show brags about all these insider connections giving terrorist scenarios that could happen, but obviously no one advises the show who has ever been around a rocket, a missile, a Nuclear tipped warhead or anything involving the Missile Defense program.

A Rocket going "500mph" wouldn't even get out of Iowa - Heck a nuke tipped rocket going 5000mph might just barely get out of Iowa. And that they played out the show for several hours while it was coming was even more embarrassing. One phone call to anyone ever affiliated with Nukes, Bombs, Rockets or Missiles would have cleared that up in 30 seconds. Otherwise it's just embarrassing and awful writing. "Uh well it's 1500 miles between Iowa and LA and we need it to last for three shows so lets make it go 500mph".

Yeah I'm not bitter.

Ltlabner
08-13-2008, 07:54 AM
It wasn't a scene in a movie, but rather a hit show, 24 - and is the reason I don't watch that show today.

In an embarrassing lack of total knowledge of physics, rocketry and basic science, the 4th season is finalized by a ICBM launched from Iowa traveling "500mph" towards LA.

The show brags about all these insider connections giving terrorist scenarios that could happen, but obviously no one advises the show who has ever been around a rocket, a missile, a Nuclear tipped warhead or anything involving the Missile Defense program.

A Rocket going "500mph" wouldn't even get out of Iowa - Heck a nuke tipped rocket going 5000mph might just barely get out of Iowa. And that they played out the show for several hours while it was coming was even more embarrassing. One phone call to anyone ever affiliated with Nukes, Bombs, Rockets or Missiles would have cleared that up in 30 seconds. Otherwise it's just embarrassing and awful writing. "Uh well it's 1500 miles between Iowa and LA and we need it to last for three shows so lets make it go 500mph".

Yeah I'm not bitter.

Any movie/show where a person is shot with a handgun and goes flying 20 feet backwards through a window.

Drives me bonkers for the same reason. Stupid physics!

Yachtzee
08-13-2008, 11:49 AM
That's one big shark.

That was very reminiscent of the SFX from "Land of The Lost." It would have been funny to throw in an old clip of Marshall, Will and Holly in their raft, going over the falls into the shark's mouth.

OldRightHander
08-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Any movie/show where a person is shot with a handgun and goes flying 20 feet backwards through a window.

Drives me bonkers for the same reason. Stupid physics!

It was Discovery Channel or History Channel (can't remember which) that did a show on inaccuracies in special effects on tv and movies. That was one thing they spent a lot of time on, what a body actually does when shot. They had cops and military people who had enough experience shooting people to actually describe what someone does when shot by different weapons. Even a powerful handgun won't knock you backwards like that. You're more likely to just fall straight down or maybe back onto your butt. They also did some experiments firing different weapons into 200 lb hunks of beef and the beef hardly even moved, even when shot with a .45 at close range.

Ltlabner
08-13-2008, 05:16 PM
It was Discovery Channel or History Channel (can't remember which) that did a show on inaccuracies in special effects on tv and movies. That was one thing they spent a lot of time on, what a body actually does when shot. They had cops and military people who had enough experience shooting people to actually describe what someone does when shot by different weapons. Even a powerful handgun won't knock you backwards like that. You're more likely to just fall straight down or maybe back onto your butt. They also did some experiments firing different weapons into 200 lb hunks of beef and the beef hardly even moved, even when shot with a .45 at close range.

Yep.

The gunpowder is burning and creating pressure as the volume of gas inside the cartridge expands. That rapid expansion both propells the bullet forward and the gun backwards (aka recoil or "kick"). Since there's only one way for that gas to escape the bullet goes forward along with most of the energy. Some, however, exerts force backwards.

There will be some inertia (not sure if that's the right term) as the energy of the bullet is transfered into the target while it rapidly decelerates. That's the force that may cause the other person to fall backwards. And that energy transfered to a body can not exceed the amount originally imposed on the bullet (in fact, the energy will decrease as the bullet slows due to gravity, friction, etc).

But to generate the kinds of force to achieve hollywood dramatic body launching at the bullet impact/deceleration stage would require so much energy back at the gas expansion stage (i.e firing the gun) that the shooter would also fly backwards at nearly the same rate as the death-dealing bad guy who just met his maker.

Very few movies portray firearms accuratly, which is a shame, as most people form opinions about them based on what they see on the big screen. Die Hard II referenced a Glock handgun that "couldn't be detected by metal detectors". Problem is there is no such thing. Yet, the myth continues.

I suppose it's like a doctor watching a medical drama and cringing at all the mistakes.

Fortunatley, I'm usually in the mood for big explosions and car chases so it's all good. :D

marcshoe
08-13-2008, 05:52 PM
A couple of weeks ago I was forced to watch The Ruins. The scenes with the flowers--the ones where the flowers imitate a cell phone and mock the idiot college kids (although I admit all of us were doing the same) were among the dumbest I've ever seen. Is it possible that this was intended to be a comedy?

Caveat Emperor
08-13-2008, 05:55 PM
I suppose it's like a doctor watching a medical drama and cringing at all the mistakes.

Yeah -- Law & Order became significantly less entertaining when I actually started working in criminal law. ;)

gm
08-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Kurt Thomas in Gymkata, uses a conveniently-placed pomel horse in village square to scissor-kick the bad guys

(what did I win?)

HalMorrisRules
08-15-2008, 12:34 AM
Remember the Titans had one of the worst scenes at the end of it. When the two coaches meet at midfield and hold up the football together and Denzel says "You're a Hall of Famer in my book" or some nonsense like that. That scene makes me cringe every time I see it.

BCubb2003
08-21-2008, 08:00 PM
The ending of "Capricorn One."

Rojo
08-21-2008, 08:28 PM
The opening montage from Can't Stop the Music is about the stupidest/greatest thing I've ever seen -- a postcard from the Disco Era.

Edit: Sure enough there's a youtube clip. It looks like it was filmed from someone's tv, but it gives you an idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4IQQQ8JO2E

SunDeck
08-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Showgirls- entire movie, really. But the worst scene is the part where the Saved By the Bell chick "proves" to the guy that she can dance.

It's like watching a six year old dance.

Dom Heffner
08-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Showgirls- entire movie, really. But the worst scene is the part where the Saved By the Bell chick "proves" to the guy that she can dance.

The worst parts of that movie for me were these:

"I've got towels!"

And the rape scene. It takes a lot of directorial bravado to show a rape on screen, but then to cut back to it again after moving along in the story- I mean, that's unneccessary and degrading.

I wanted to go puke and shower after watching that movie.

westofyou
08-22-2008, 12:05 PM
And the rape scene. It takes a lot of directorial bravado to show a rape on screen, but then to cut back to it again after moving along in the story- I mean, that's unneccessary and degrading.

http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2006/10/25/luke-laura-wedding.jpg

Dom Heffner
08-22-2008, 12:35 PM
WOY, one of the strangest story lines ever: "I raped you but now we are in love." I can't remember how they got away with it- I think they tried to blur the line by hinting that she was a willing particpant, maybe? I can't remember.

Though I will say I enjoyed the subsequent story lines with the Ice Princess and I seem to recall characters being literally frozen in a freezer. Terrific, campy stuff. GH was stealing from Empire Strikes Back and its carbon freeze, but it was super cool for a soap opera. Scorpio, Grant Putnam (that hair was feathered perfection), and lordy, was Celia Quartermaine a hottie. At least to an 8th grader she was.

Kurt Thomas in Gymkata, uses a conveniently-placed pomel horse in village square to scissor-kick the bad guys

(what did I win?)

This is one of those films that upon reflection you sort of wonder if it really happened.

To add to your post, there was also a scene where there just conveniently was a steel rod connected between two buildings and while being chased by bad guys, Kurt jumped up and grabbed the beam, swung himself around 5 or 6 times for some momentum, and the bad guys catch up to him and miraculously walk right into his feet as he is swinging.

I don't know if I've ever seen as dumb a film, though you could argue it's so bad it's good, I guess.

improbus
08-22-2008, 12:42 PM
To add to your post, there was also a scene where there just conveniently was a steel rod connected between two buildings and while being chased by bad guys, Kurt jumped up and grabbed the beam, swung himself around 5 or 6 times for some momentum, and the bad guys catch up to him and miraculously walk right into his feet as he is swinging.

I don't know if I've ever seen as dumb a film, though you could argue it's so bad it's good, I guess.

The Firm anyone?

sonny
08-22-2008, 01:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxkr4wS7XqY

Chip R
08-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Awesome! That looked almost like a spoof of the last fight scene in Roadhouse.

Raisor
08-22-2008, 01:54 PM

Why would anyone want to spoof Roadhouse? It's the perfect movie and un-spoofable.

Johnny Footstool
08-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Why would anyone want to spoof Roadhouse? It's the perfect movie and un-spoofable.

Any attempt to spoof Roadhouse would result in the breakdown of physics and the ultimate destruction of the universe.

durl
08-22-2008, 05:10 PM
Is it just me or do others think that Roadhouse was an After School Special all grown up?

A philosopher/bouncer ridding the town of a guy who doesn't play well with others?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the movie...I liked it.

sonny
08-22-2008, 08:13 PM

It was the final scene from the movie "Undefeatable" Unwatchable is more like it.

BCubb2003
08-22-2008, 08:28 PM
Any attempt to spoof Roadhouse would result in the breakdown of physics and the ultimate destruction of the universe.

What about Roadhouse 2, or Roadhouse on Broadway?

Waiting for Roadhouse on Ice.

Chip R
08-22-2008, 09:09 PM
It was the final scene from the movie "Undefeatable" Unwatchable is more like it.

Yeah, I looked that up. Great find. :lol:

Patrick Bateman
08-22-2008, 09:14 PM
The Tom Cruise scenes in Tropic Thunder were pretty damn terrible. But really the entire movie sucked, so I'm not sure that counts.

RFS62
08-22-2008, 09:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxkr4wS7XqY

OMG!!!!!!

That's not dumb, that's the greatest thing I've ever seen!!!!

:beerme::laugh::laugh::laugh::beerme:

Yachtzee
08-22-2008, 11:12 PM
double post

Yachtzee
08-22-2008, 11:14 PM
The opening montage from Can't Stop the Music is about the stupidest/greatest thing I've ever seen -- a postcard from the Disco Era.

Edit: Sure enough there's a youtube clip. It looks like it was filmed from someone's tv, but it gives you an idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4IQQQ8JO2E

Well thanks for reminding me of that film. Just for that, I'm going to unleash another bit from that movie on RZ. Try getting this song out of your head after watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNvwEAUdwMY

That entire movie just seemed like an episode of the Love Boat without the Love Boat.

jmcclain19
08-23-2008, 12:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTUawc64NmA

Actually - you can pretty much put that whole movie on the list. Worst part is they actually made a sequel.

Caveat Emperor
08-23-2008, 02:31 AM

IMDB lists "Undefeatable"'s plot as: "Kristi Jones (Cynthia Rothrock) avenges her sister's death at the hands of a crazed martial arts rapist."

After seeing that clip and reading this synopsis, I must watch this film immediately.

VR
08-23-2008, 10:01 AM
OMG!!!!!!

That's not dumb, that's the greatest thing I've ever seen!!!!

:beerme::laugh::laugh::laugh::beerme:

"We'll keep an eye out for you, Stingray."
"Yeah, SEE ya"

Best use of a towel as a weapon. Ever.

:notworthy

improbus
08-23-2008, 10:33 AM
What was them movie where Segal puts a pool ball in a towel (or cloth napkin) and hits people with it? It might have been Jean Claude...

MrCinatit
08-23-2008, 03:09 PM
What was them movie where Segal puts a pool ball in a towel (or cloth napkin) and hits people with it? It might have been Jean Claude...

That was Out For Justice, with Segal and fellow hammer William Forsythe.

He had a bad one near the end of Out of Siege 2 - Warning: There are spoilers here for those who have not caught this masterpiece yet.
At the end of the movie, the main villain, played by Eric Bogosian, had a laptop in his hands which controlled a satellite which (simplistically) created earthquakes (no. seriously. They caused a plane crash by creating an earthquake on the plane. No, I am serious about that).
Segal's solution for this problem: Shoot the computer (actually shoot the laptop screen).
It worked. No, I am serious about that.

On the "Awesome" scale, how about the scene where John Travolta's character gets hit by a missile in Broken Arrow.

improbus
08-23-2008, 09:21 PM
One of my favorites was Sudden Death with Jean Claude. How can you not love a movie with the following:
-Surprisingly good sports scenes with real players.
-A real location (the Civic Center in Pittsburgh)
-A villain whose real name is Powers Boothe (he was the leader of the gang in Tombstone)
-Overly rapid firing machine guns. These things were huge in '90's movies.
-Evil Mascots
-Jean Claude somehow playing goalie in a Stanley Cup game

It is one of my All-Time favorites.

Caveat Emperor
08-24-2008, 04:42 AM
One of my favorites was Sudden Death with Jean Claude. How can you not love a movie with the following:
-Surprisingly good sports scenes with real players.
-A real location (the Civic Center in Pittsburgh)
-A villain whose real name is Powers Boothe (he was the leader of the gang in Tombstone)
-Overly rapid firing machine guns. These things were huge in '90's movies.
-Evil Mascots
-Jean Claude somehow playing goalie in a Stanley Cup game

It is one of my All-Time favorites.

One of my all-time favorites as well -- I'll add the following two elements to your list as well:

- Actual inclusion of Mike Lange, voice of the Pittsburgh Penguins and one of the best announcers in all of sports.
- Willingness to try and base a plot around someone taking the Vice President hostage -- which seems to be pretty pointless, since the actual President is still around and can just appoint another one with little or no disruption to the functioning of government.

Chip R
08-25-2008, 08:12 AM
"We'll keep an eye out for you, Stingray."
"Yeah, SEE ya"

I really liked that part because she got the best quote and his was lame. When she said that, it looked like he was thinking, "Oh, man, what a good line. Now I have to come up with something cool but I can't think of anything."

TRF
08-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Since you guys aren't pointing to good movies with dumb scenes, I guess I'll play too...

True Lies.

The villain somehow gets hooked to a stinger missile connected to the Harrier that Arnold is flying. His daughter is hanging on to the nose of the jet. Arnold fires the missile through a building and hits the bad guy's helicopter.

I'll probably watch this movie a dozen more times in my life.

klw
08-26-2008, 02:50 PM
Independence Day.

Specifically...

wretch.

We have the winner.

I'll throw this one out there:
Point Break- the last scene where Keanu Reeves as Agent Johnny Utah lets Patrick Swayze ride out onto the killer waves instead of arresting him on the beach. Sorry if I ruined the movie for anyone but as it is 17 years old I doubt a spoiler notice is needed.

Dom Heffner
08-26-2008, 05:46 PM
John Travolta's character gets hit by a missile in Broken Arrow.

One of the few times a missile has been dwarfed by a human being on film.

I'm sorry. That was mean.

I hate John Travolta, I do.

klw
08-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Harrison Ford and others zipline riding between planes in Air Force One

RFS62
08-26-2008, 09:03 PM
One of the few times a missile has been dwarfed by a human being on film.

I'm sorry. That was mean.

I hate John Travolta, I do.

As do I and all right thinking Americans.

Except for his Vincent Vega. And his first Chili Palmer.

All the rest of it is crap.

Caveat Emperor
08-26-2008, 10:45 PM
Except for his Vincent Vega.

And really, the only thing Vincent Vega was good for was playing straight-man to Jules Winnfield.

gm
08-28-2008, 06:25 PM

"I foresee two possibilities. One, coming face to face with herself 30 years older would put her into shock and she'd simply pass out. Or two, the encounter could create a time paradox, the results of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space time continuum, and destroy the entire universe! Granted, that's a worse case scenario. The destruction might in fact be very localized, limited to merely our own galaxy."

New thread: best movie quotes ever?

RFS62
08-28-2008, 06:40 PM
New thread: best movie quotes ever?

"I ain't got time to bleed"

Johnny Footstool
08-28-2008, 08:17 PM
"You **** with him and he'll seal your fate."