They come in 3's...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/10/hayes.obit/index.html

oneupper
08-10-2008, 04:35 PM
CHEF! :cry:

George Anderson
08-10-2008, 04:36 PM
They come in 3's...

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/OBIT_ISAAC_HAYES?SITE=OHLIM&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Is Paul Newman next??

WVRed
08-10-2008, 07:57 PM
http://listgasm.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/chef_singingincafeteria_400.jpg

RIP

redsmetz
08-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Whenever I think of Isaac Hayes, I'm about 15 and listening to Hayes' "Hot Buttered Soul". Here's a review from Allmusic.com. I think I'll see if the library has it in.

Review by Jason Birchmeier

Released at the tail end of the '60s, Hot Buttered Soul set the precedent for how soul would evolve in the early '70s, simultaneously establishing Isaac Hayes and the Bar-Kays as major forces within black music. Though not quite as definitive as Black Moses or as well-known as Shaft, Hot Buttered Soul remains an undeniably seminal record; it stretched its songs far beyond the traditional three-to-four-minute industry norm, featured long instrumental stretches where the Bar-Kays stole the spotlight, and it introduced a new, iconic persona for soul with Hayes' tough yet sensual image. With the release of this album, Motown suddenly seemed manufactured and James Brown a bit too theatrical. Surprising many, the album features only four songs. The first, "Walk on By," is an epic 12-minute moment of true perfection, its trademark string-laden intro just dripping with syrupy sentiment, and the thumping mid-tempo drum beat and accompanying bassline instilling a complementary sense of nasty funk to the song; if that isn't enough to make it an amazing song, Hayes' almost painful performance brings yet more feeling to the song, with the guitar's heavy vibrato and the female background singers taking the song to even further heights. The following three songs aren't quite as stunning but are still no doubt impressive: "Hyperbolicsyllabicsequedalymistic" trades in sappy sentiment for straight-ahead funk, highlighted by a stomping piano halfway through the song; "One Woman" is the least epic moment, clocking in at only five minutes, but stands as a straightforward, well-executed love ballad; and finally, there's the infamous 18-minute "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" and its lengthy monologue which slowly eases you toward the climactic, almost-orchestral finale, a beautiful way to end one of soul's timeless, landmark albums, the album that transformed Hayes into a lifelong icon.

WVRed
08-10-2008, 08:48 PM
BTW, I hope South Park does something to commemorate Isaac Hayes this upcoming season. Either bring Darth Chef back for a final episode or something. Hopefully Trey and Matt have the class to do it.

*BaseClogger*
08-11-2008, 01:37 PM
BTW, I hope South Park does something to commemorate Isaac Hayes this upcoming season. Either bring Darth Chef back for a final episode or something. Hopefully Trey and Matt have the class to do it.

:thumbup:

westofyou
08-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Chef to so many.... but the man will always be a soul king to me before a cartoon cook.

Jeremy Piergallini
08-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Maybe he's not dead and it was just his time to board the spaceship on it's way back to their home planet??

cincinnati chili
08-11-2008, 11:54 PM
"Relatives found Hayes, 65, unconscious in his home next to a still-running treadmill"

That settles it. I'm selling my elliptical and buying an ice-cream maker.

BLEEDS
08-12-2008, 05:29 PM

Yes, something to "bring him back from the Darkside" before his death would be appropriate.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Blimpie
08-12-2008, 06:46 PM
"Relatives found Hayes, 65, unconscious in his home next to a still-running treadmill"

That settles it. I'm selling my elliptical and buying an ice-cream maker.FWIW, I think they are leaning towards a stroke as the cause.

Rojo
08-15-2008, 04:03 PM
God have mercy on his hot-buttered soul.