PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts and obervations from the Astros series

OnBaseMachine
08-11-2008, 01:57 AM
Just got back from attending the last three games against the Astros.

First of all, the food was great as usual. I had four coney's and two three ways in the three days I was there. I also had a Johnny Rocket's burger which was delicious and I finally tried Graeter's ice cream for the first time ever. I had two scoops of cookies-n-cream and it was probably the best ice cream I've ever had. I also purchased some Montgomery Inn barbecue sauce that I can't wait to use. I love coming to Cincinnati as much for the food as I do the games.....I went to the Kenwood mall on Saturday and I saw Jay freaking Bruce. I couldn't believe it. I was in food court and just happened to look over and see this familiar looking guy waiting in front of the women's bathroom. Then his girlfriend walked out of the bathroom and he turned around it was none other than Bruce ...and then I looked down the hallway there was Miguel Tejada leaning up against a post waving towards Bruce. It's not everyday you see a MLB player 15 feet from you in a mall.

As for the games, what can I say, the Reds played awful.

Friday night was a game the Reds should have won. Johnny Cueto was impressive, I know it wasn't his most impressive start but you can just see the talent in him. He allowed two solo homeruns in the first inning but if not for the umpire having a very, very small strikezone then those homeruns may have never happened. Cueto had Matsui 2-2 and threw a fastball that appeared to be on the corner but the ump called it ball three...Cueto was visibly upset as he walked around the mound and took his hat off. Next pitch Matsui homered. After Tejada and Berkman struckout, Lee homered on a 1-2 fastball. I couldn't understand throwing a fastball while ahead 1-2 to a fastball hitter like Lee. IIRC Cueto allowed nine hits in five innings but two or three were bloopers over Keppinger's head and another was a groundball into center field. Cueto's stuff is awesome though. He had nine strikeouts in just five innings, his his fastball command seemed to be lacking on this night but his slider was untouchable. He made Berkman look stupid two different times and you don't see that very often. I love this kid. I'll be shocked if he's not one of the better pitchers in the game within two or three years. As for the rest of the game, Patterson made a great catch in center field to end the fifth inning. I was actually sitting right there in that area and had a great view of the catch. He also nearly made another unbelievable catch on the two run double by Lee off Cordero in the 10th inning.The big play in this game though was in the 7th inning with the Reds winning 4-3 and two outs...Bourn hit a groundball to Masset who dropped the ball for an error. Next batter of course homered. If Masset makes that play the Reds may win.

On Saturday night Arroyo got off to a disastrous start but did a great job of escaping that first inning jam by allowing only one run. He went on to pitch a solid game but unfortunately Cy Moehler shut the offense down. This was a very frustrating game to watch with all the hacking going on by the Reds offense. Moehler threw a total of 62 pitches in the first 6.1 innings before Bruce singled and began a mini rally. I love the sound of Bruce's bat btw, he hits the ball hard. Paul Bako is horrible. He allowed a run to score on a ball he should have blocked, and his offense is terrible. I really think Arroyo is a better hitter at this point.

Today's game was a total disaster but it didn't surprise me considering Harang only had one rehab start. He probably needed a couple more rehab starts but pushing Volquez back a couple days was the right move. Gary Majewski still stinks, he need to be gone soon. Ryan Hanigan looked pretty good, the single could have gone as an error but the homerun was nice. He went down and got a curveball and put it a couple rows deep in the left center seats. He's not the savior but I think he'll do better than Bako or Ross.

All in all, I still had a good time despite the Reds not winning a game. I got to see three baseball games. What more could you ask for? Oh and the fireworks show on Friday night was spectacular. It's easily the best firework show I've ever seen...three different times I thought it was over and seconds later you hear boom!boom!boom!...very nicely done by the Reds...the Reds Hall of Fame was awesome as usual...and I finally found me a Volquez shirt. I was hoping to find a Cueto shirt as well but they didn't have any.

WVRedsFan
08-11-2008, 02:14 AM
Glad you tried the ice cream (I knew you'd love it) and make sure you heat that bbq sauce before using it. Makes it much better.

Yes, Cueto will be something special, but the key words are "will be." Maybe next year or maybe the year after, we'll be amazed. Patience is the word (reminds me of what my wife always tells me--patience is rare in a woman but nonexistant in a man).

Anyway, glad you had a good time and I envy you. I haven't been this year and probably won't. Too much going on around here to justify a few days off, but I would never miss a chance to go to a few games no matter how bad they are. We all have to hope that things will improve over the winter so that going to the ballpark is more pleasant than today. But like the old joke--a day at the ballpark beats a day at work any day.