PDA

View Full Version : New Commissioner

improbus
08-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Anyone else think that President Bush might be the next baseball commissioner? Selig's contract is up after 2009, and he will be available. Politics aside, you can tell that he loves the game. His eyes light up when he gets to talk about baseball.

CySeymour
08-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Oh please NO!

BurgervilleBuck
08-11-2008, 01:54 PM
No comment.

HalMorrisRules
08-11-2008, 02:17 PM
No comment.

You had to write that you had no comment? :rolleyes:

BurgervilleBuck
08-11-2008, 04:00 PM
You had to write that you had no comment? :rolleyes:
And you had to write that I wrote that. Bravo.

HalMorrisRules
08-11-2008, 07:04 PM
And you had to write that I wrote that. Bravo.

At least what I typed was a comment. There are many threads where I read something and I have no comment. But you know what? I don't type "no comment" on all of them. But you, you couldn't resist making a little dig, could you? I hadn't really thought about it before but, I would absolutely love it if Bush became Commissioner because it apparently would irritate you to death.

improbus
08-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Well, I'm glad to see that there is a constructive argument.:rolleyes:

steig
08-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I really believe Bush will be the next commissioner of baseball. Whether you like his politics or not, he loves baseball and probably would be good for the game.

bigredbunter
08-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I really believe Bush will be the next commissioner of baseball. Whether you like his politics or not, he loves baseball and probably would be good for the game.

I'm curious to know why you think he would be good for the game.
Prior to Selig, I don't think that a baseball background was necessarily a prerequisite to being commish.

foxfire123
08-12-2008, 01:28 AM
NOOOOOOO!

Bob Costas, please. Someone who loves the game and isn't afraid to make the big decisions, or make the hard comments.

JWP
08-12-2008, 01:39 AM
NOOOOOOO!

Bob Costas, please. Someone who loves the game and isn't afraid to make the big decisions, or make the hard comments.

I think a former President knows how to make big decisions.

Just throwin' that out there.

Bush has been around baseball for his entire life, and whether or not you agree with his politics, being the President of the United States definitely requires some leadership and management skills. I honestly think he'd make a great commissioner.

BurgervilleBuck
08-12-2008, 09:00 AM
I hadn't really thought about it before but, I would absolutely love it if Bush became Commissioner because it apparently would irritate you to death.
I'm glad my feelings mean so much to you. It wouldn't irritate me to death. I just don't think it would serve any purpose to have such a polarizing figure as the commissioner.

improbus
08-12-2008, 09:04 AM
My only concern would be that we have another commissioner that has close ties to ownership. He was an owner...

bigredbunter
08-12-2008, 09:13 AM
I'm glad my feelings mean so much to you. It wouldn't irritate me to death. I just don't think it would serve any purpose to have such a polarizing figure as the commissioner.

Yeah, I think you want someone who doesn't over-shadow the game. On the other hand, Kentucky's own political demagogue Happy Chandler served as commish in the '40s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Chandler

ThirdBaseCoach
08-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Gdub would be horrible for baseball. We already have a commissioner, Bud, who has no clue. We do not need to perpetuate that incompetence.

We need a David Stern clone.

goreds2
08-12-2008, 09:38 AM
Anyone else think that President Bush might be the next baseball commissioner? Selig's contract is up after 2009, and he will be available. Politics aside, you can tell that he loves the game. His eyes light up when he gets to talk about baseball.

He will not support a SALARY CAP.

improbus
08-12-2008, 09:43 AM
He will not support a SALARY CAP.

A Cap will never work in MLB because of the inequity in TV revenue. The NFL and NBA have a single TV deal (or if the NBA has regional deals, they are not as dramatic as baseball.) So that really doesn't matter.

BurgervilleBuck
08-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Gdub would be horrible for baseball. He is running this country like he has no clue. We already have a commissioner, Bud, who has no clue. We do not need to perpetuate that incompetence.
Just to warn ya, Boss Hog has a soft spot for the old boy and will probably dink your account a couple. He'll probably dink my account even mentioning that he dinks accounts.

ThirdBaseCoach
08-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Just to warn ya, Boss Hog has a soft spot for the old boy and will probably dink your account a couple. He'll probably dink my account even mentioning that he dinks accounts.

you must have esp........yikes

BurgervilleBuck
08-12-2008, 11:54 AM
you must have esp........yikes
Nope. I've just been there and know not to make non-Conservative statements. ;)