PDA

View Full Version : Padres To Slash Payroll In '09

RedLegSuperStar
08-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Mlbtraderumors.com is reporting this... My Blackberry doesn't allow me to copy the text from the page so if someone could help me out. Besides Peavy, Green, Young, and Gonzalez.. Is there anyone?

Matt700wlw
08-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Padres To Slash Payroll In '09

By Tim Dierkes [August 11, 2008 at 10:28am CST]

Tom Krasovic of the San Diego Union-Tribune writes of a rumor that the Padres might slash payroll from this year's $73.6MM way down to $40MM. The Padres reportedly explained this scenario to Brian Giles in an attempt to get him to accept a trade to Boston last week. Krasovic heard about the pitch via Giles' teammates, but wasn't able to draw any comments from GM Kevin Towers. Scott Miller believes owner John Moores' divorce is a factor.

The Padres don't have any large contracts on the books for '09; Giles would be their most expensive player at $9MM unless they choose his $3MM buyout. After that it's Jake Peavy at $8MM, Khalil Greene at $6.5MM, Chris Young at $4.5MM, and Adrian Gonzalez at $3MM. By my count they have six arbitration-eligible players, including Josh Bard, Heath Bell, Scott Hairston, and Jody Gerut. The Padres could retain Giles and still be under $45MM, though that'd leave no money for free agents.

nate
08-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Mlbtraderumors.com is reporting this... My Blackberry doesn't allow me to copy the text from the page so if someone could help me out. Besides Peavy, Green, Young, and Gonzalez.. Is there anyone?

It says:

Tom Krasovic of the San Diego Union-Tribune writes of a rumor that the Padres might slash payroll from this year's $73.6MM way down to $40MM. The Padres reportedly explained this scenario to Brian Giles in an attempt to get him to accept a trade to Boston last week. Krasovic heard about the pitch via Giles' teammates, but wasn't able to draw any comments from GM Kevin Towers. Scott Miller believes owner John Moores' divorce is a factor.

The Padres don't have any large contracts on the books for '09; Giles would be their most expensive player at $9MM unless they choose his $3MM buyout. After that it's Jake Peavy at $8MM, Khalil Greene at $6.5MM, Chris Young at $4.5MM, and Adrian Gonzalez at $3MM. By my count they have six arbitration-eligible players, including Josh Bard, Heath Bell, Scott Hairston, and Jody Gerut. The Padres could retain Giles and still be under $45MM, though that'd leave no money for free agents.

Patrick Bateman
08-11-2008, 12:22 PM
An idea might be to grab Khalil Greene for a year. He's having a putrid year, compounded by him pissing the Padres off with his most recent injury.

But prior to this year, his power has been very nice for a SS, he's a true top notch fielder out of SS. The usual weakness is the OBP problems, which are usually outweighed by the rest of his game. I think he'll bounce back, especially in a park built for his main hitting strength, and would be worth the 7M. The question is what to do with Gonzalez. Perhaps he wont even be healthy enough to play. He's due 5.3M next season, so a straight swap might make some sense considering how bad Greene has been this year. The Pads save some money and replace a guy they are looking to move. Could work in both parties' interest.

OnBaseMachine
08-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Khalil Greene wouldn't be a bad idea. He can't get on base to save his life but he did hit 27 homeruns last season and he's a very good defensive shortstop. He could probably hit 25-30 homeruns playing half his games in the GABP but he won't get on base above the .300 clip and Dusty would probably bat him second so I'm not sure if he want to go in that direction or not. Scott Hairston wouldn't be a bad pickup for the bench. He struggles against RHP but has a .953 OPS vs LHP and could start against LHP and serve as a nice bat off the bench. Another guy I like is sidearmer Cla Meredith. He struggles to get lefty hitters out but is usually very tough on right handers.

Patrick Bateman
08-11-2008, 01:15 PM
Hairston will still be cheap, so I see no reason why the Pads would let him go so cheaply in a salary dump.

schroomytunes
08-11-2008, 01:53 PM
I would try to jump all over this if I were Jocketty, the Pads are definitely trying to rebuild and we have a farm system that might be appealing to them. Guys I like on the Padres are:

1)Heath Bell-would be a solid middle inning reliever for us.
2)Jake Peavy-would be our ACE, and would provide a huge lift for us in the rotation.

RedEye
08-11-2008, 02:04 PM
I would try to jump all over this if I were Jocketty, the Pads are definitely trying to rebuild and we have a farm system that might be appealing to them. Guys I like on the Padres are:

1)Heath Bell-would be a solid middle inning reliever for us.
2)Jake Peavy-would be our ACE, and would provide a huge lift for us in the rotation.

Seems fanciful, but if Jocketty really is the "big game hunter" everyone says he is, he might actually go for Peavy. Could anyone see a package of Arroyo, Bailey, Valaika and Duran enticing the Pads? I would imagine that's at least what it would take to entice them to trade him... and I may be underestimating that.

EDIT: Actually, considering what Bronson will make next year, they probably wouldn't want him for Peavy. Maybe Encarnacion, Bailey, Thompson, Duran?

Benihana
08-11-2008, 02:44 PM
That would be an ideal dream scenario. Peavy has a GREAT contract compared to the mammoth deal that Sabathia will get. Imagine the following scenario...

1. Reds sign Alonso and Rodriguez this week
2. Reds re-sign Adam Dunn
3. Reds trade Homer Bailey, Daryl Thompson, Chris Valaika, and Matt Maloney for Jake Peavy. If they insisted, I would give them Stubbs instead of Maloney. Because of Headley and Kouzmanoff, I don't believe the Pads would need Encarnacion. Ditto for Votto because of Gonzalez. Bailey and Thompson would give them two (or three- with Maloney) "major-league ready" arms for their rotation while Valaika and Stubbs would give them two highly rated up-the-middle guys that will be ready within another year. While the payroll would certainly be considerably higher with the addition of Peavy (and the re-signing of Dunn). A move like this would make it easier to unload Arroyo in the offseason, and go with a rotation of

Peavy
Volquez
Harang
Cueto
Masset

I would shop Arroyo for CF, SS, or C help in the offseason. While it would be nice to get a decent return, it would be much easier to swallow losing Arroyo (and his salary) with Peavy in the rotation. If they insisted on getting Votto or Encarnacion in the deal, I would package either one with Bailey (with a lower level prospect or two) as long as we can sign Alonso this week (and re-sign Dunn in the offseason.) Getting Peavy would be exactly the shot in the arm this organization needs. This little bit might offer the perfect opportunity to get it done.