PDA

View Full Version : First preseason game thoughts

cincrazy
08-12-2008, 11:49 AM
A few things stood out to me about last night's game:

The running game looked world's better from last year. The line seems to be healthy, and it certainly shows. Chris Perry and Kenny Watson both looked good. Hopefully that's a sign of things to come for the upcoming season.

Ben Utecht could prove to be a very important acquisition for the Bengals. His play over the middle of the field could open up the outside for Chad and T.J.

This team desperately needs someone to emerge as the 3rd receiver. Unfortunately, I have no idea who that may be.

The defense certainly played fast last night and caused some havoc. They were able to get to the QB a good bit, and created some turnovers. But the amount of missed tackles was startling, especially by the first team. I think we could be looking at a repeat of the 2005 season: A defense that bends rather easily, but will make the big play to save their butt every now and then.

All things considered, I was pretty pleased last night. Can't take all too much away from a preseason game, especially the first one, but here's hoping for a clean slate in the jungle this year.

BurgervilleBuck
08-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Tackling. Tackling. Tackling. I know it was only one preseason game but it was just like the last game of last season.

RedsManRick
08-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Given that all of the ESPN coverage was on the Packers and 85, it's hard to get a great assessment. That said, the biggest highlight from the game was two Bengals converging on a prone receiver, the receiver bouncing off them both after having his helmet knocked off, and the receiver walking in to the end zone. Had either guy actually tried to tackle him instead of level him that play would not have resulted in a touch down.

Playing fast is great, but not if it means playing sloppy.

Hoosier Red
08-12-2008, 12:05 PM
The tackling certainly seems to be the main issue, but that doesn't concern me because it can be fixed to a certain degree.

For a lot of years, the Colts defense wasn't very good perse, but they could play well for the style of the team.
Meaning, when the Colts got out in front of opponents they could tee off the pass rush and create turnovers. But if it was a close game and they had to make a stop it wasn't always reliable.

If the Bengals can merely elevate their defense to that level I'll be happy.

BurgervilleBuck
08-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Given that all of the ESPN coverage was on the Packers and 85, it's hard to get a great assessment.
I don't know. As much as they were sapping it up over Rodgers and Favre and the Packers, it still better than the Bengals preseason game they did last year where the entire focus was on Michael Vick.

Reds Freak
08-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Ben Utecht could prove to be a very important acquisition for the Bengals. His play over the middle of the field could open up the outside for Chad and T.J.

This team desperately needs someone to emerge as the 3rd receiver. Unfortunately, I have no idea who that may be.

I think you might have answered the 3rd WR question in your previous paragraph. I think Utecht is going to have a HUGE year going down the middle of the field. Carson has never had a receiving TE since he's been here and they already look like they are in sync. Mix in a healthy (for now) Chris Perry out of the backfield plus some combination of Chatman, Maxwell, Simpson, Caldwell, I think they are fine at WR.

The tackling was obviously poor at times but I would think there will be some improvement under the new coordinator and they sure do look more athletic. Plus one of the best ways for the Bengals to improve their defense is by having them stay on the sidelines which an improved running game and a healthy offensive line will do. The defense was on the field way too often last year partly due to the offense's affinity for three and outs...

KoryMac5
08-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Given that all of the ESPN coverage was on the Packers and 85, it's hard to get a great assessment. That said, the biggest highlight from the game was two Bengals converging on a prone receiver, the receiver bouncing off them both after having his helmet knocked off, and the receiver walking in to the end zone. Had either guy actually tried to tackle him instead of level him that play would not have resulted in a touch down.

Playing fast is great, but not if it means playing sloppy.

My wife and I were going to make a drinking game out of how many times ESPN mentioned Brett Farve last night, luckily we abstained. If we hadn't we would both be in the emergency room being treated for alcohol poisoning.

I have been done with ESPN for awhile but last night was a joke.

Michael Young
08-12-2008, 02:23 PM
How Aweful Is Tony Kornhiser? The Man Makes Me Want A Lobotmy

CTA513
08-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Rivers looked good and ended up leading the team with 7 tackles.

White can hit hard, but needs to start tackling instead of going for the big hit.

David Jones looked lost at times and the Packers kept picking on him.

I wish Odom was healthy as he should make the defensive line better.

Brandon Johnson seemed to do a good job.

I like the more aggressive defense instead of the non aggressive 10 yards off the WR approach the Bengals have shown in the past.

The Bengals need to make sure they have a running game this season or everyone will sit back and wait for the Bengals to pass just like last season.

Chris Perry ran hard last night and looked really good. I loved seeing his emotion after he scored. He will be a big part of the offense, but like always he needs to stay healthy.

Utecht looked good and will make a big impact. In years past Palmer would have tried to throw the ball to a WR instead of throwing to Utecht who caught and ran in for a TD last night.

The Bengals still need to do a better job tackling.

SunDeck
08-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Sure, they need to tackle better, but the Bengals line got pushed all over the place last year and runners were hitting the linebackers and backs at full speed. Of course, their linebackers were sub par last year, but it certainly helps if someone (anyone!) on the line can make a guy at least have to cut or change direction. And when you're busier getting pushed backwards, as the line was, then it's pretty hard to wrap a guy up.

Reverse the direction at the line and the tackling will improve greatly.

Yachtzee
08-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Tackling has been a problem since Greg Myers was roaming the Bengals Secondary. I wonder if they'll ever get that fixed.

wolfboy
08-13-2008, 10:46 AM
Sure, they need to tackle better, but the Bengals line got pushed all over the place last year and runners were hitting the linebackers and backs at full speed. Of course, their linebackers were sub par last year, but it certainly helps if someone (anyone!) on the line can make a guy at least have to cut or change direction. And when you're busier getting pushed backwards, as the line was, then it's pretty hard to wrap a guy up.

Reverse the direction at the line and the tackling will improve greatly.

Let's hope they can. Last year, it seemed like they had a piece of bubble wrap and a sheet of paper playing DT.

WVRed
08-13-2008, 08:36 PM
According to Rotoworld, the Bengals are looking at Chris Henry again.