PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Adam Dunn memories?

OnBaseMachine
08-12-2008, 01:11 PM
With Dunn now a DBack, what were your favorite memories of Dunn in a Reds uniform?

1. This is a no-brainer for me. The Dunn walk off grand slam on June 30th, 2006. This was a game the Reds had no business winning, none at all. The Reds trailed 7-0 in the 8th inning at one point an cut it to 8-5 in the bottom of the 9th inning with two outs. In steps Adam Dunn. After taking ball one Dunn launches the second pitch over the right field field for one of the most improbable wins you will find. This walk off grand slam is the equivalent of a pitcher throwing a perfect game. This win actually moved the Reds into a tie for first place and gave us hope.

2. Opening Day, 2005 vs Pedro Martinez and the Mets. I was at this game. Dunn gets the Reds on the board in the first inning with a huge 3-run homerun off Pedro Martinez. Later in this game, with the Reds trailing 6-4 in the bottom of the 9th inning Dunn smacks a 2-run homerun off Braden Looper to tie the game at 6-6. Joe Randa followed with a walk off homerun.

3. May 17th, 2008. This is another game I was at. Aaron Harang and Fausto Carmona had a great pitchers dual but the Reds trailed 2-1 in the bottom of the 9th inning. After the first two batters reach Dusty Baker had Dunn bunting on the first. Dunn fouled off the bunt attempt and then worked the count in his favor to 2-1 and drove the next offering to the last row of the seats in the Sun Deck for a walk off 3-run homerun. The win extended the Reds winning streak to five games.

4. August 10th, 2004. Another game I was at. This is the game where Dunn launched the 535-foot homerun, rumored to be the longest in baseball history say the distances started being measured. I just remember being in awe at how that ball was still rising as it went over the batters eye in center field. I still can't believe someone can hit a ball that far.

5. July 20th, 2001. This is the day that Dunn made his major league debut. He gave me hope. The Reds were awful that season and going nowhere fast but Dunn gave me something to watch for. Little did I know he would be one of the few things worth watching over the next seven or eight years. It was a shame he was never surrounded with better talent. These last few years have been tough to watch as a Reds fan but Dunn made it easier for me to watch because you never knew when he was going to do something great.

I have many more great memories but I'm just listing my top five. Feel free to give more if you like.

RedsManRick
08-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Why a new thread? http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71000

OnBaseMachine
08-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Because this is a different topic.

Matt700wlw
08-12-2008, 01:21 PM
With Dunn now a DBack, what were your favorite memories of Dunn in a Reds uniform?

1. This is a no-brainer for me. The Dunn walk off grand slam on June 30th, 2006. This was a game the Reds had no business winning, none at all. The Reds trailed 7-0 in the 8th inning at one point an cut it to 8-5 in the bottom of the 9th inning with two outs. In steps Adam Dunn. After taking ball one Dunn launches the second pitch over the right field field for one of the most improbable wins you will find. This walk off grand slam is the equivalent of a pitcher throwing a perfect game. This win actually moved the Reds into a tie for first place and gave us hope.

That's the one!

dougdirt
08-12-2008, 01:31 PM
First would be the walk off slam. I had two bottles of water in my hand and they helped shower the entire 535 section with water when he hit that ball. It was awesome.

Second would have to be 'Hey Marty, do you have your shirt on'? That was one of the funniest things I had ever heard.

Bob Wickman giving up another Dunn walk off HR was hilarious.

2 HR on opening day that helped lead the way for Joe Randa.

Lima time and the blast that bounced to the river.

A nice little story I heard about Dunn and the ladies from before he was married.

RichRed
08-12-2008, 01:32 PM
I've only been to three Reds games since GABP opened, and it was the 3-game series against the Rangers last season. In those three games, Dunn hit 4 homers (1 Friday, 1 Saturday and 2 Sunday). What made it more memorable is that it was also the RedsZone Gathering so I got to enjoy the Friday & Saturday games with good people like oneupper, Redsland, Johnny Footstool, OldRighthander, corkedbat, Chip, GAC, creek, Kitty and several others (apologies to those I left out).

It was a thrill for my brother and me to see Dunn launch those homers and it was just a great weekend all around, even though the Reds lost 2 of the 3 games.

EDIT: How could I forget Boss, Wheels, MississippiRed and vaticanplum? Sorry gang.

Always Red
08-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Without doubt, I will never forget Dunn's call to the banana phone.

I love the game around the game, and that was historically funny.

But I think Marty disagreed.

Cyclone792
08-12-2008, 01:45 PM
I've always wanted to see video again when Dunn plowed Wiki Gonzalez in a collision at home plate back in 2001. Actually, I'd love to see a video contemplation of every home plate collision Dunn was involved in; I thought he plowed someone else in 2004.

OnBaseMachine
08-12-2008, 01:48 PM
I've always wanted to see video again when Dunn plowed Wiki Gonzalez in a collision at home plate back in 2001. Actually, I'd love to see a video contemplation of every home plate collision Dunn was involved in; I thought he plowed someone else in 2004.

He did. I believe it was someone from the Brewers but I can't think of who it was. The first name that popped into my head my Mike Rivera but he didn't play for the Brewers until 2006.

BTW does anyone know where I can find video of Dunn's first major league homerun? That's something I've been hoping to get a hold of for years.

redsmetz
08-12-2008, 02:17 PM
My son and I were at the game when Dunn hit his first home run, a ball he absolutely clobbered to RF (Baseball-reference.com has it as RF/CF, but I recall it being right down the line) - a no doubter. On TV that night, the replay made the swing not look so gargantuan and it was the first time I realized that some of the balls you see on TV and think, how'd that go out, in fact are knocked silly). My son and I were having a guys weekend, so my wife and our daughters had gone on a weekend trip. He was 12 and it was a fun game to take in. We still talk about seeing Dunner's first HR.

bucksfan2
08-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Dunn playing outfield opening day 07. I think he fell down trying to catch the ball. It was so awful it was funny.

Oh year the walk off slam was nice.

nate
08-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Dunn playing outfield opening day 07. I think he fell down trying to catch the ball. It was so awful it was funny.

Heh. Wasn't it the next day that he made a routine play in the field and then sort of "took a bow" when the fans cheered him?

vaticanplum
08-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Anytime Dunn teed off of Zambrano, my heart got a little fluttery.

He had a walk-off homerun -- a three-run homer, I think -- against Milwaukee around May 2006, a day game. It ultimately was overshadowed by the Cleveland grand slam a month later, but the Milwaukee game was great too. It was a shutout or maybe 1-1 going into extra innings. Great game. He had a knack for walk-off home runs, really.

Dunn has also been famously good with kids. Spends a lot of time with the Make-a-Wish kids who come in, is supposedly very good with autograph seekers, etc.

I'm also fond of the massage chair memories, because it was the most ridiculous thing. ever.

Tom Servo
08-12-2008, 02:39 PM
He did. I believe it was someone from the Brewers but I can't think of who it was. The first name that popped into my head my Mike Rivera but he didn't play for the Brewers until 2006.

It was in 2006 and it was Damian Miller that he knocked into next week.

bucksfan2
08-12-2008, 02:40 PM
Heh. Wasn't it the next day that he made a routine play in the field and then sort of "took a bow" when the fans cheered him?

It may have been 06 I can't remember. IIRC it was an awful day that was cold, rainy, and windy. The reds lost 16-7 in that game. Dunn looked lost out in LF. He looked like that beer league softball guy that is stuck out in RF because there is no where else to put him. The 06 game he was only credited with one error but he misplayed quite a few balls. I can't remember if he "took a bow" because we were long gone by the time Dunn would have made a catch.

Chip R
08-12-2008, 02:56 PM
It may have been 06 I can't remember. IIRC it was an awful day that was cold, rainy, and windy. The reds lost 16-7 in that game. Dunn looked lost out in LF. He looked like that beer league softball guy that is stuck out in RF because there is no where else to put him. The 06 game he was only credited with one error but he misplayed quite a few balls. I can't remember if he "took a bow" because we were long gone by the time Dunn would have made a catch.

It was 06 and the weather was brutal that day.

Team Clark
08-12-2008, 03:38 PM

I was there. I remember the wind just being incredible. He had no chance. He took a lot of flak but I am here to tell you that he did his best.

I like to sit as close as possible so you can hear the umpires and managers yell. I can remember Dunn taking 3 strikes in a row and as he walked away giving the ump the once over about the last pitch which WAS inside. The ump, who I will never remember, tore off his mask and yelled back "how would you know? You never saw any of 'em". For those of us who could hear we had a good chuckle. Ahhh how I long to be a catcher again.

Johnny Footstool
08-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Monday, April 2, 2007 - Opening Day vs. the Cubs and Zambrano.

My 8 month-old son and I watched our first Reds game together, and Dunner treated us to 2 homers. I was clapping and chanting, "Adam Dunn, Home Run" over and over, and my boy smiled and clapped, too.

KronoRed
08-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Opening day 2005, Dunn hits a 1st inning homer then ties the game in the 9th with another, gorgeous day and a great game.

westofyou
08-12-2008, 04:43 PM
My wife liked to make fun of him, she thinks he is the most unlikely ballplayer, says he's too damn big... says he looks slow when he's in the outfield, mostly because of his size.

She calls him Ham Hands - Because his hands are as big as ham hocks.

Patrick Bateman
08-12-2008, 04:45 PM
He had a walk-off homerun -- a three-run homer, I think -- against Milwaukee around May 2006, a day game. It ultimately was overshadowed by the Cleveland grand slam a month later, but the Milwaukee game was great too. It was a shutout or maybe 1-1 going into extra innings. Great game. He had a knack for walk-off home runs, really.

Off of Dan Kolb. I was at that game. Right before he hit it, I said something to the effect of "Kolb doesn't have one pitch capable of fooling Dunn". A second later, the ball was crushed in normal Adam Dunn fashion.

traderumor
08-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Maybe Dunn played the role of "Man Hands" in Seinfeld?

OnBaseMachine
08-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Off of Dan Kolb. I was at that game.

That game was on ESPN too. Gary Thorn had a homerun call. The Reds won 3-0 in 11 innings with the only three runs coming on the Dunn homerun obviously. I remember that homerun being an absolute bomb that nearly cleared the Sun Deck. This game was 16 days before the Dunn walk off grand slam.