PDA

View Full Version : Dickerson is here!!!

DannyB
08-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Dickerson gets the call to replace Dunn.

per Fay:

Chris Dickerson was called up to take Adam Dunn's roster spot.
Joey Votto is expected to return from bereavement Saturday.
Jerry Hairston Jr. is testing his hamstring.

GoReds33
08-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Looks like we're offically comitting to the future. That should mean that we going to give him as much playing time as possible this year, to see if he's part of this club's future.

markymark69
08-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Heard alot about this kid. Look forward to seeing what he can do.

NarrowStairs
08-13-2008, 12:37 AM
Anyone ever gotten a scout's opinion of Dickerson?

There's a reason wasn't highly rated by Baseball America.

Oxilon
08-13-2008, 12:39 AM
I'd say he's just a career minor leaguer whose highest potential is a 4th outfielder. He plays a great defensive CF and has speed, so he'll always find himself on a MLB bench, however, I not ready to crown him our starting CF for 2009 and beyond.

NarrowStairs
08-13-2008, 12:49 AM
No way could Chris Dickerson be a starting OF. He is nothing more than a pinch runner / defensive substituion.

Honestly, if you were going to compare him to one major league player, it would be Patterson.

roby
08-13-2008, 12:53 AM
No way could Chris Dickerson be a starting OF. He is nothing more than a pinch runner / defensive substituion.

Honestly, if you were going to compare him to one major league player, it would be Patterson.

That's OK, the Reds need to upgrade their bench too!

Oxilon
08-13-2008, 12:53 AM
I'd like to believe Dickerson's plate discipline is heads and shoulders above Patterson's...or else I wouldn't even want Dickerson on the 25 man roster.

Kingspoint
08-13-2008, 05:45 AM
Heck of a start. A Double, Walk, Stolen Base, and a Run scored, and pretty good defense.

Kingspoint
08-13-2008, 05:46 AM

I think you'll be gladly proven wrong over the next 14 months.

Kingspoint
08-13-2008, 05:48 AM
Anyone ever gotten a scout's opinion of Dickerson?

There's a reason wasn't highly rated by Baseball America.

If they were right about everyone (which they are far from being), they would have predicted that he would have been capable of having an OPS of 1.000 from the last week of May into the 2nd Week of August at Lousville. But, since they probably predicted it to be at least 200 points below that, their opinion about him goes with their wrong opinions of others...into the trash, and they can type up another one about someone else. Chalk this one up to one of many that they whiffed on.

Hondo
08-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Looks like we're offically comitting to the future. That should mean that we going to give him as much playing time as possible this year, to see if he's part of this club's future.

Yeah, that Bob C and his WIN Now attitude of firing Krivisky really comes to mind now huh?

bgwilly31
08-13-2008, 01:15 PM
I need to start watching this kid.

Stupid 7:30 softball games.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-13-2008, 04:38 PM
bg.. by no means is he KG 10 years ago.. but as a good defensive player, and getting on base at a .380 clip(to bat lead off?!?!) with 30 stolen base potential.. he will be at least a great backup outfielder.. if not a good ML caliber outfielder..

DannyB
08-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Heck of a start. A Double, Walk, Stolen Base, and a Run scored, and pretty good defense.

He should have replaced Patterson instead of Dunn

OUReds
08-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Dickerson in En Fuego. Double and Single tonight.

I'd really like to believe that something "clicked" this year and he can be a High OBP plus defense CFer we desperately need.

I don't believe that quite yet, but it's a start!

Blue
08-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Dickerson in En Fuego. Double and Single tonight.

I'd really like to believe that something "clicked" this year and he can be a High OBP plus defense CFer we desperately need.

I don't believe that quite yet, but it's a start!

If you really want to get excited imagine the possibility of Stubbs in CF and Dickerson in RF. That would be some spectacular defense. However, they still have to hit.

OUReds
08-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Hmmm, what does the average RFer OPS? 800ish?

He did OPS .863 this year in AAA.

Probably a pipe dream but stranger things have happened.

Edit: Another hit

walk-off
08-17-2008, 06:52 PM
I'm rooting for him!!! What are his righty lefty splits??? Maybe he could be a platoon player with Stubbs one day in cf and with Hairston in the mean time, then a late inning defensive replacement for Votto if he is really going to lf. It's not like we have better options in the system or their is an abundance of top tier free agent cf's out there. The way I see it, we have nothing to loose.

OUReds
08-17-2008, 07:14 PM
Dickerson's splits for this year... (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Chris%20Dickerson&pos=OF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=447736)

Entire Season AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS
vs Left .247 89 10 22 3 1 1 7 11 28 2 2 .346 .337 .683
vs Right .300 260 55 78 13 8 10 46 43 74 24 5 .397 .527 .924

Blue
08-17-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm rooting for him!!! What are his righty lefty splits??? Maybe he could be a platoon player with Stubbs one day in cf and with Hairston in the mean time, then a late inning defensive replacement for Votto if he is really going to lf. It's not like we have better options in the system or their is an abundance of top tier free agent cf's out there. The way I see it, we have nothing to loose.

I think Stubbs has reverse splits at this point. I hope he goes to the instructional league to learn how to hit lefties.

walk-off
08-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Hmmm. Thanks OUReds. Looks like Dickerson has good enough splits to warrant a chance at least as a platoon with Hairston in Cf next year. Although I am not as excited about him as I am the other youngsters, it is a position of need unless your name is Corey Patterson...

Too bad about Stubbs. At what age do we consider him a total loss??? Please tell me he still has a couple of years left to drastically improve his hitting... You never know, there are always late bloomers out there like Ludwick and Gerut who were plus defenders that really did not start to rake untill this year...

BLEEDS
08-18-2008, 06:39 PM
Dickerson looks hot now - but Votto looked hotter last September, and Bruce looked hotter the first month of his call-up this year.

We'll see what happens when pitchers see him for the 2nd time and get scouting reports/tape on him.

I would LOVE for him to be the guy to lead-off and play CF versus RHP. If he can OBP .380 he surely will!! I'd take .350 since at this point it's almost 30 points above what we've gotten out of the leadoff spot this year (UGH!).

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Blue
08-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Hmmm. Thanks OUReds. Looks like Dickerson has good enough splits to warrant a chance at least as a platoon with Hairston in Cf next year. Although I am not as excited about him as I am the other youngsters, it is a position of need unless your name is Corey Patterson...

Too bad about Stubbs. At what age do we consider him a total loss??? Please tell me he still has a couple of years left to drastically improve his hitting... You never know, there are always late bloomers out there like Ludwick and Gerut who were plus defenders that really did not start to rake untill this year...

Now, wait a second. Having reverse splits means that he hits well about 75% of the time. Its much better than if he were just hitting lefties.

OUReds
08-19-2008, 07:58 AM
Last year the average NL centerfielder put up an OPS of .762, with an OBP .336. If I only knew about this year's stat line at Louisville, and not the rest of his minor league career, I'd be inclined to think he could hit those numbers. Unforunately, his Minor league OPS stats overall run like this...

2003 - .770
2004 - .775
2005 - .708
2006 - .779
2007 - .768
2008 - .863

Que the seseme street song..
One of these things is not like the other, one of these this is not the same

He'll probably settle down to be below average offensively overall, but again, stranger things have happened. One positive is that he has had a good eye and posted above average OBP numbers throughout his career (MiLB career .360 OBP).

Assuming he is above average defensively in CF (not something I'm convinced of quite yet, but he's looked good out there so far I think), adds some speed to the lineup, and posts a 350ish OBP, I think he could be fine starter overall as long as he is cheap.

walk-off...

Stubbs and Dickerson look so far to be remarkably similar players, with + defense, walk driven + OBP, and + speed. Their career OPS is .782 for stubbs vs. .775 for Dickerson. Both were drafted out of college, both began their third seasons in Sarastoa. However, where Dickerson stayed there the whole year posting a wretched .708 OPS, Stubbs has posted a .772 OPS in Sarasota and hit well in limited at bats for Chattanooga and Louisville. If you don't think Dickerson a total loss, there is no reason to think Stubbs is one. Yet.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-19-2008, 11:41 AM
OU you look at this year and say that it is not like the others.. and then say he will be a below average hitting OF'er.. even though his numbers suggest he is right at the average hitting outfielder.. and if he has improved that much then maybe it will be a great addition..

OUReds
08-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Most players do not replicate their minor league numbers. The major leagues are, you know, harder and stuff.

daBeastIzback
08-19-2008, 12:45 PM
ehhh. i dun see him bein more than a 4th of.