PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear the Pittsburgh announcers?

TheOnlyRedsFan
08-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Talking about Phillips and his unprofessional home run trot?

Its in the top plays for today if no one else heard it.

highheat11
08-12-2008, 11:19 PM
top plays on sportscenter or where?

highheat11
08-12-2008, 11:44 PM
nevermind i saw it on mlb.com.. i dont really see what he does that is unprofessional. he doesnt show up the pitcher in any way by flipping the bat like the announcers claim, nor does he stare down the pitcher heading to first, or anything that would warrant being thrown at.. sounds like they just dont like brandon phillips.

highheat11
08-12-2008, 11:53 PM
and dont you think that brandon would get thrown at if this were a true issue with the pitchers?

edogg07
08-12-2008, 11:56 PM
Who is the color anylast for the pirates?

highheat11
08-13-2008, 12:02 AM
From what I'm seeing on Wikipedia, the two possible color analysts for the Pirates that it could have been are Bob Walk and Steve Blass. Both are former pitchers so it would make sense if it was either one of them that think B.Phillips is being "unprofessional"

fadetoblack2880
08-13-2008, 12:26 AM
Had it been a Pirate that homered, they wouldn't say a word.

highheat11
08-13-2008, 12:32 AM
Had it been a Pirate that homered, they wouldn't say a word.

Nothing but class from Pittsburgh as usual.....

captainmorgan07
08-13-2008, 12:32 AM
The pirate announcers are the worst in the MLB. One game earlier in the season against the Reds, Bob Walk spent two full innings talking about signs. Who the heck cares Bob.

SarasotaFan
08-13-2008, 01:06 AM
philips has a tired act on the field IMO. his trot is stupid.

NarrowStairs
08-13-2008, 03:34 AM
philips has a tired act on the field IMO. his trot is stupid.

The guy has a passion for this game and wears his emotions on his sleeve. You can tell he really loves to play and has FUN.

To me, that's all you can ask for.

Kingspoint
08-13-2008, 04:43 AM
After watching the video's from mlb.com http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2008_08_12_cinmlb_pitmlb_1&mode=gameday ....I couldn't believe this guy! I thought I was listening to someone who lives in an old-folks home. Where is this guy from...1885? Talk about boring.

SarasotaFan
08-13-2008, 07:14 AM
The guy has a passion for this game and wears his emotions on his sleeve. You can tell he really loves to play and has FUN.

To me, that's all you can ask for.Never said he didn't play with passion. Just some of his antics are a little overboard, not all o them - too "showboat" if you will for a guy who's still relatively new to the league. I'm glad he's doing well for a team finally after Cleveland didn't think too highly of him and hope he continues to have success.

CarolinaRedleg
08-13-2008, 07:42 AM
The pirate announcers are the worst in the MLB. One game earlier in the season against the Reds, Bob Walk spent two full innings talking about signs. Who the heck cares Bob.

It's gotta beat spending the game talking about the Pirates. :thumbup:

redrum
08-13-2008, 09:17 AM
That was Steve Blass. He is as big as a homer as you will find. I used to live in Pittsburgh and could never stomach listening to him.

I watched the clip. It didn't include the entire home run trot, but unless he did cartwheels after rounding second, I'm not sure what Blass was moaning about.

Sure Brandon turned his upper body toward the outfiled while running between 1st and 2nd, but there really isn't much more in that clip. I didn't even really see a bat flip. Whatever.

BurgervilleBuck
08-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Is this thread just some sort of weak subterfuge to make us like George Grande?

SarasotaFan
08-13-2008, 09:35 AM
That was Steve Blass. He is as big as a homer as you will find. I used to live in Pittsburgh and could never stomach listening to him.

I watched the clip. It didn't include the entire home run trot, but unless he did cartwheels after rounding second, I'm not sure what Blass was moaning about.

Sure Brandon turned his upper body toward the outfiled while running between 1st and 2nd, but there really isn't much more in that clip. I didn't even really see a bat flip. Whatever.yeah that's the stupid thing i don't like about him. but i guess it's his thing, so whatever. kinda like the Dimiti Young right arm swing / left arm still as he rounds the bases after a homerun. why can't a player just run normal ?? i don't recall Bonds doing any stupid antics

IowaRed
08-13-2008, 10:48 AM
I'm not a fan of the upper body turn either but he was running hard out of the box. Usually people get bent out of shape by a player standing and admiring or taking a slow trot around the bases. Blass is an old school guy and isn't of the Grande love-in style. Since turning the sound down on Grande last year, I welcome anything else

Nasty_Boy
08-13-2008, 11:48 AM

To me, that's all you can ask for.

Passion? Ha! He's a show off. He's a talented player, but it has been well documented that he rubs other teams the wrong way. He's not respected by his peers.

Rob387
08-13-2008, 12:46 PM
I heard one of them say "brandon phillips is a great ballplayer but that stuff makes me sick"

I think what was making him sick was not being able to talk about that karstens chump and his almost perfect game anymore... phillips has done the same trot as long as I can remember and wasn't trying to show anyone up

Rob387
08-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Passion? Ha! He's a show off. He's a talented player, but it has been well documented that he rubs other teams the wrong way. He's not respected by his peers.

a lot of people said the same stuff about Reyes and Wright last year.. the bottom line is no one likes watching their team get beat or seeing the other team celebrate.. in any way

BurgervilleBuck
08-13-2008, 01:00 PM
the bottom line is no one likes watching their team get beat or seeing the other team celebrate.. in any way
Exactly. I wasn't that hep when Valverde did that little celebratory "yaah!" when he saved the game Saturday night.

TheBigLebowski
08-13-2008, 01:25 PM
i don't recall Bonds doing any stupid antics

Just too easy.

redrum
08-13-2008, 01:48 PM
i don't recall Bonds doing any stupid antics
Seriously?

You don't recall the legendary bat flip, the pose, the jogging toward the first base dugout or the stutter stepping the bags?

Bonds was the master of antics.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-13-2008, 01:55 PM
or the hiding of needles in his arm pat while he juiced up at the plate.....

levydl
08-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Seriously?

You don't recall the legendary bat flip, the pose, the jogging toward the first base dugout or the stutter stepping the bags?

How about that pirouette he did several years back. Or when he hit the homer and threw his fists up over his head as he stood at the plate. Those may even be when he was in Pittsburgh.

As far as Phillips goes, I really like him. He's a really nice player and I think he'll improve over the next few years.

But I don't see how he gets a pass for failing to run out grounders (even double plays sometimes), while Dunn and Griff got hammered for it (frankly, I think if that's the biggest thing a guy does wrong, that's fine. What would it amount to, an extra hit or 2 a year?). He does it too, watch him. He also does that big clap and points to the sky after every single hit. And when he hits a bomb he sometimes straightens up, admires it for a second as he starts slowly walking to first, and then begins his patented half turn home run trot. One time this year he did that and the ball stayed in the park. Unlike Griff though, he's so damn fast that he got to second anyway.

Now, I don't really get mad about this stuff. He's just having fun and showing off a little. But I can see why people who don't like that act get upset about it.

RiSK
08-13-2008, 03:16 PM
]but it has been well documented that he rubs other teams the wrong way. He's not respected by his peers.

I'd love to see proof of this. If it's well documented, let's have a look.

Stephenk29
08-13-2008, 03:46 PM
I didn't even think he trotted? To me it looked like he even jogged out of the box, which is more than 75% of the MLB players after a bomb.

Kingspoint
08-13-2008, 03:52 PM
yeah that's the stupid thing i don't like about him. but i guess it's his thing, so whatever. kinda like the Dimiti Young right arm swing / left arm still as he rounds the bases after a homerun. why can't a player just run normal ?? i don't recall Bonds doing any stupid antics

That's because he had to stand up straight running around the base paths in order to hold up that giant melon.

Kingspoint
08-13-2008, 03:54 PM

I hope he does rub the other teams the wrong way. Screw all of the players from all of the other teams. He's a RED and I love his passion.

There's absolutely nothing about Brandon Phillips I don't think is great. I wish all of the players on the REDS were like him. We'd win more games..

Kingspoint
08-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Just too easy.

I couldn't resist.

SarasotaFan
08-14-2008, 01:32 AM
How about that pirouette he did several years back. Or when he hit the homer and threw his fists up over his head as he stood at the plate. Those may even be when he was in Pittsburgh..when he broke the record that's a different story.

he hit bombs every other day practically, not once a a week or so. and they were bombs, not wall scrapers. talk all the smack about the juice in him you will, he still had to make contact.

SarasotaFan
08-14-2008, 01:33 AM
Seriously?

stutter step is different than some stupid arm swing...

ChatterRed
08-14-2008, 07:46 AM
It's gotta beat spending the game talking about the Pirates. :thumbup:

:beerme:

fadetoblack2880
08-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Now that Dunn's gone, apparently Phillips is becoming the new scapegoat.

Nasty_Boy
08-14-2008, 06:00 PM
I'd love to see proof of this. If it's well documented, let's have a look.

What about McCoy's article? What about the fact that he didn't recieve a substantial amount of votes for the All-Star team? I know that a few of his old Cleveland teammates have made comments.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-15-2008, 10:12 AM
Sorry but lets be honest.. don't you think there is a chance that phillips wants this to be more about team than single players.. most of those guys in cleveland that threw him under the bus either aren't that good, or they have since left the team..

It's funny the guys who think this team is "theirs" are the ones who "dont" get along with him.. but the players who just come and put in the time and effort everyday have said multiple times that they love him..

Like i also said.. while he is putting up all star and GG numbers he is STILL the first and last one on the field warming up.. signing autographs.. giving out a bat or two to a fan.. just doing things that tell you the guy would rather be NO place else.. not lounging on the clubhouse couches like griffey and dunn..

Nasty_Boy
08-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Sorry but lets be honest.. don't you think there is a chance that phillips wants this to be more about team than single players.. most of those guys in cleveland that threw him under the bus either aren't that good, or they have since left the team..

It's funny the guys who think this team is "theirs" are the ones who "dont" get along with him.. but the players who just come and put in the time and effort everyday have said multiple times that they love him..

Like i also said.. while he is putting up all star and GG numbers he is STILL the first and last one on the field warming up.. signing autographs.. giving out a bat or two to a fan.. just doing things that tell you the guy would rather be NO place else.. not lounging on the clubhouse couches like griffey and dunn..

P-Doc?