PDA

View Full Version : Catcher Wilkin Castillo

Will M
08-13-2008, 12:08 PM
According to C Trent the 3rd player in the Dunn deal was catcher Wilkin Castillo. Does anybody know anything about him?

kpresidente
08-13-2008, 12:10 PM
He bats left-handed. Can be helpful to a catcher since there's so few of them.

dougdirt
08-13-2008, 12:16 PM
According to C Trent the 3rd player in the Dunn deal was catcher Wilkin Castillo. Does anybody know anything about him?

He has a decent arm, good footwork behind the plate. Can't hit lefties to save his life and really doesn't hit righties all too well either. Doesn't walk much, doesn't strike out much. Can play several other positions adequately on defense.

LincolnparkRed
08-13-2008, 12:16 PM
2008 Season
Team League AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS
TUC PCL .254 103 382 39 97 17 2 6 47 136 23 54 4 1 .304 .356 .660

Had a .302 avg with 6HR and .333 OBP at Mobile last year

redhawk61
08-13-2008, 12:18 PM
ranked the best defensive catcher in the D-Backs system by BA

kpresidente
08-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Maybe he and Tatum could manage a decent AAA platoon.

redhawk61
08-13-2008, 12:20 PM
getting hot as of late.

Last 10 games- .361 AVG, 3 doubles, 5 RBI's, 3 BB's, 2K's

so that is something to hang your hat on.

Will M
08-13-2008, 12:35 PM
ranked the best defensive catcher in the D-Backs system by BA

thanks to all. the above is really what i wanted to hear. why pay $2M to a backup catcher if you can find one cheaply.
IF hanigan shows us something in the last 6 weeks we could go with Hanigan/Castillo as our catchers in 2009. Maybe sign a vet to a minor league deal as insurance/extra catcher for spring training.

princeton
08-13-2008, 12:37 PM
"You have to have a catcher because if you don't you're likely to have a lot of passed balls."

--Casey Stengel

BuckeyeRedleg
08-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Looks like a little bit better version of Miguel Perez.

Superdude
08-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Maybe we were offered Parker, but Jocketty chose Castillo out of positional need? :(

Oxilon
08-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Maybe we were offered Parker, but Jocketty chose Castillo out of positional need? :(

I'd stick with another year of Bako on the 25 if it meant us getting Parker over Castillo.

Kingspoint
08-13-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm giving this trade an A+ and props to both Krivsky and Jockety for waiting to pull the trigger until they got something worthwhile.

Arizona will be glad they made the trade, too. They also did very well.

Dunn is over-appreciated here, but he's under-appreciated around the leagues.

RedEye
08-13-2008, 03:24 PM

That's a scary thought. I would think Jocketty would know better than that.

NorrisHopper30
08-13-2008, 04:24 PM
He bats left-handed. Can be helpful to a catcher since there's so few of them.

I'm pretty sure Castillo is a switch hitter, someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Superdude
08-13-2008, 04:47 PM
I don't blame Boiler for posting it, but that was incredibly unrealistic to think we'd get Parker along with Owings and Buck. Still could be a good return if Buck gets his arm strength back.

GoReds33
08-13-2008, 07:10 PM
I don't blame Boiler for posting it, but that was incredibly unrealistic to think we'd get Parker along with Owings and Buck. Still could be a good return if Buck gets his arm strength back.Exactly. If we shot down everybody that were in his situation, we would never get any inside info. Thanks for trying Boiler.

:beerme:

OnBaseMachine
08-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Owings and the other player going to Cincinnati - also on the D-Backs' 40-man roster, a source said; also a pitcher, another source said - must clear waivers to finalize the trade, since it occurred after the July 31 nonwaiver period.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/122935

Blue
08-13-2008, 07:13 PM
If true, this trade stinks and the Reds cheaped out, again. At least this time they will have pinched pennies on the draft well in advance.

08-13-2008, 09:08 PM
If true, this trade stinks and the Reds cheaped out, again. At least this time they will have pinched pennies on the draft well in advance.

They agreed to pay half of Dunn's remaining salary this season so that they could get better prospects in return. That is about $2M, which is about what they would have to pay for the two picks they would have gotten for Dunn if he became a free agent.

The Reds were not cheap on this deal.

mbgrayson
08-13-2008, 09:44 PM
2008 BA Prospect Handbook
Wilkin Castillo, Arizona Prospect #14

WILKIN CASTILLO, C/INF

Born: June 1, 1984. B-T: B-R. Ht.: 6-0. Wt.: 170. Signed: Dominican Republic, 2003. Signed by: Junior Noboa.

Castillo has played all over the diamond for the Diamondbacks, and the organization rewarded his versatility by adding him to the 40-man roster in November. His main position is carcher, and he played 70 games there last season in Double-A. He also played at second base, shortstop, third base and right field, and he was named the utilityman on the Southern League's postseason all-star team. Castillo has the tools to be at least an average defender at every position he plays, and he also could play first base if needed. As a catcher, he's quick and loose behind the plate, and his arm is slightly above-average. His footwork on the exchange is good and he threw out 45 percent of basestealers last year to rank second in the SL, though he can improve his receiving. Castillo also offers versatility at the plate, as a switch-hitter with speed and a little bit of pop. He has good hand-eye coordination and uses the whole field, but he's a free swinger who will expand his zone. He tends to drift through his stroke at times, which limits his power. While he runs well and especially well for a catcher, he needs to be more judicious as a basestealer after getting caught 14 times in 32 tries last year. Castillo's only real plus tool is his versatility, but that makes him an ideal role player on a big league team. He'll move up to Triple-A for 2008.

Blue
08-13-2008, 11:43 PM
They agreed to pay half of Dunn's remaining salary this season so that they could get better prospects in return. That is about $2M, which is about what they would have to pay for the two picks they would have gotten for Dunn if he became a free agent.

The Reds were not cheap on this deal.

In that case its just a bad deal. Really bad.

kaldaniels
08-14-2008, 12:33 AM
Is there a reason why the return on Dunn is so hush hush. I mean, it sounds as if it is known who the suspects are...why the suspense. :confused:

camisadelgolf
08-14-2008, 02:06 AM
Castillo comes from the Dominican Republic--I wonder if his potential acquisition could have anything to do with Cueto, Volquez, and Cordero.

princeton
08-14-2008, 08:17 AM
They agreed to pay half of Dunn's remaining salary this season so that they could get better prospects in return.

they agreed to three so-so prospects, two of them not throwing so well due to injury and one not playing so well, so they wouldn't have to rescind waivers on Dunn and pay the remainder of Dunn's contract plus two comp picks

savings: about $4mill

maybe Walt went to the Dominican to find out what $8mill (this $4mill, plus $4mill saved on Jr) will buy

Grande Donkey
08-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Wilkin Castillo is the 3rd PTBNL according to Fay.

Oxilon
08-14-2008, 06:29 PM
maybe Walt went to the Dominican to find out what $8mill (this $4mill, plus $4mill saved on Jr) will buy

I don't know if you're being sarcastic are not, but I was under the impression that all of the premier talent in Latin America was already signed or agreed to some verbal agreement?

princeton
08-14-2008, 06:51 PM
I don't know if you're being sarcastic are not, but I was under the impression that all of the premier talent in Latin America was already signed or agreed to some verbal agreement?

Walt's probably scouting the Pony League games down there.

Rojo
08-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Castillo's only real plus tool is his versatility, but that makes him an ideal role player on a big league team.

Jack of all trades......

NorrisHopper30
08-14-2008, 07:33 PM
I like this kid, he should work well with the young DR players.

fearofpopvol1
08-14-2008, 07:57 PM
A career .283 batter in the minors. That's really pretty darn good. He doesn't hit for much power, but he's athletic and a good defensive catcher. I think he absolutely can help this club, particularly since he is from the Dominican. Say goodbye to Bako.

NorrisHopper30
08-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Say goodbye to Bako.

That's what i'm hoping as well.

Hanigan and Castillo please.

OnBaseMachine
08-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Reds get flexible Castillo from D-Backs
Listed as backstop, Reds sought Minor Leaguer for versatility
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

PITTSBURGH -- The position title next to Wilkin Castillo's name says "catcher," but it's the other skills that made him even more attractive to the Reds front office.

Castillo was revealed Thursday as one of the players to be named that was acquired from the Diamondbacks for Adam Dunn on Monday. The 24-year-old batted .254 with six home runs and 47 RBIs this season for Triple-A Tucson.

Of the 104 games Castillo played in 2008, 51 were at catcher and 41 were at third base. Another 17 games were played at second base, shortstop or the outfield. Arizona's depth at catcher made it possible for him to be used elsewhere, Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said.

"He was a guy we looked at as being very versatile with a strong arm," Jocketty said. "We think he is a guy that would be very valuable for [manager] Dusty [Baker] because he can play many positions and run well."

Castillo was assigned to Triple-A Louisville and will most likely be a September callup. In five Minor League seasons, he was a .281 hitter with a .322 on-base percentage.

"I think when it comes to his role, we'll evaluate him more when we bring him up and determine how we'll use him," Jocketty said.

If the Reds do use him as a catcher, Castillo will provide some depth. Paul Bako and Javier Valentin are both potential free agents at season's end and the club is still seeing what it has with rookie callup Ryan Hanigan.

Minor League pitcher Dallas Buck was already acquired and assigned to Class A Sarasota. There has been rampant speculation that pitcher Micah Owings is the other player, but Jocketty would not address that issue.

Owings, like Castillo already did, must first clear waivers before the trade can be completed. Owings missed his scheduled start on Wednesday for Tucson with what's been reported as a sore right shoulder.

By rule, players that are injured are not allowed to be placed on waivers, which is likely why the Owings part of the trade has been held up.

There is no word on when the final piece of the Dunn trade puzzle will fall into place.

"Hopefully, it will in the next couple of weeks, but I can't give an answer on that yet," Jocketty said.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080814&content_id=3309800&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

RED VAN HOT
08-14-2008, 09:27 PM
I like the Castillo acquisition for several reasons. We sorely need a good defensive catcher. At worst, Castillo gives us another option to consider next year. Switch hitting is a plus as the Reds can always have a lefty/righty catching combination no matter which way we go with the other catcher. On days that he does not catch, switch hitting makes him more versatile as a pinch hitter. His ability to play multiple infield positions should save a roster spot as well. In the past the Reds have been forced to carry the players like Juan Castro for that purpose. The saved roster spot can be used to carry platooning outfielders or perhaps an extra bull pen arm. I really don't see a lot of down side to this even if he never hits more than .240.

redhawk61
08-14-2008, 09:29 PM
I like the Castillo acquisition for several reasons. We sorely need a good defensive catcher. At worst, Castillo gives us another option to consider next year. Switch hitting is a plus as the Reds can always have a lefty/righty catching combination no matter which way we go with the other catcher. On days that he does not catch, switch hitting makes him more versatile as a pinch hitter. His ability to play multiple infield positions should save a roster spot as well. In the past the Reds have been forced to carry the players like Juan Castro for that purpose. The saved roster spot can be used to carry platooning outfielders or perhaps an extra bull pen arm. I really don't see a lot of down side to this even if he never hits more than .240.
and just think, if Owings doesn't work as a starter, he can be our long man, when he's not playing in the field...one extra roster spot

camisadelgolf
08-15-2008, 12:57 AM
The Reds are getting really Dominican really fast. Fwiw, Danny Richar is also from the DR. I like it, though--it's always nice if something can tie your team together.

Topcat
08-15-2008, 03:43 AM
Exactly. If we shot down everybody that were in his situation, we would never get any inside info. Thanks for trying Boiler.

:beerme:

beautiful statement sir. I have seen others ridiculed for hearing stuff that never came to fruition and they get blasted. things change and all these people do is try to inform on what they know in the moment:thumbup:. You sir are a Redszone keeper!

OnBaseMachine
08-15-2008, 06:24 PM
Castillo, 24, was batting .254/.305/.358 for Triple-A Tucson with six home runs and 18 doubles in 386 at-bats. While the switch-hitter's offensive production was not especially noteworthy, his defensive versatility was a different matter. Castillo threw out 18-of-37 basestealers (49 percent) from behind the plate, but also had appeared in 41 games at third base, seven games in left field, six at shortstop and another four at second. It's no gimmick: Castillo has the tools to be an average defender at all five positions. His arm is strong, though his receiving has room for improvement. A free swinger who will expand his zone, Castillo lacks power but he makes up for with plus hand-eye coordination and above-average speed.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/majors/trade-central/2008/266663.html

sammonator
08-16-2008, 06:13 PM
why has castillo not played yet in louisville?

OnBaseMachine
08-16-2008, 06:14 PM
The Reds are getting really Dominican really fast. Fwiw, Danny Richar is also from the DR. I like it, though--it's always nice if something can tie your team together.

I was reading a Cardinals board a little while ago and posters over there were referring to the Reds as the Dominican Reds.

NorrisHopper30
08-16-2008, 06:15 PM
When will Wilkin first play?

OnBaseMachine
08-16-2008, 06:18 PM
I'm not sure. He's not playing again tonight. Craig Tatum is starting behind the dish for the Bats tonight.

Doc. Scott
08-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Two games played- one at catcher, one at 3B. Two hits in eight at-bats.

OnBaseMachine
08-19-2008, 04:09 PM
Two games played- one at catcher, one at 3B. Two hits in eight at-bats.

And picked a runner of first base and caught another trying to steal second.

Mario-Rijo
08-19-2008, 05:19 PM
If we could get the kid to shrink his zone a bit he might be a suitable major leaguer for us, perhaps even solid.

corkedbat
08-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Castillo's versatility makes me think that he is slated as next year's 3rd catcher and a possible replacement for Javy. I would think that the Reds would still be in the market for a starting C to team with Hanigan.

Topcat
08-21-2008, 06:09 AM
I got a Thank you from Goreds for stating what so many should say and thats thank you boiler for giving info in the moment that you were so kind to give. Thingschange and info sources should never be ridiculed for giving what they know in the moment. They are Redszone assets and should be treated as so.

princeton
08-21-2008, 08:31 AM
I got a Thank you from Goreds for stating what so many should say and thats thank you boiler for giving info in the moment that you were so kind to give. Thingschange and info sources should never be ridiculed for giving what they know in the moment. They are Redszone assets and should be treated as so.

Redszone's assets are worthless? :D

I'm OK with that. :thumbup: keep posting all rumors; it's all fun

danforsman
08-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Saw Castillo last night in Louisville - pretty poor at-bats but showed a nice arm from behind the plate (from his knees). Stubbs looked quite good, except in one at-bat where Neimann made it look easy with a 93 mph fastball that Stubbs never even saw. He is incredibly fast and makes at look as easy as I can remember anyone seeing in CF. Roenicke pitched himself into trouble (thanks in part to a big-league squeeze by the home plate ump) and then struck out two guys with the bases loaded and the crowd booing to get out of it. He's definitely got stuff that seems to set him apart from the rest.