PDA

View Full Version : Logan Parker

AmarilloRed
08-13-2008, 01:29 PM
He really should be in AA by now. 32 for 93, 8 doubles, and 4 HR at Sarasota for a line of .410/.559./969 in a pitcher's league. I like Stubbs, but if he can get a promotion to AAA in 100 AB, Parker should be able to get one to AA.

11larkin11
08-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Hes blocked by Tonys Gutierrez

BuckeyeRedleg
08-13-2008, 01:44 PM
Hes blocked by Tonys Gutierrez

And shouldn't be. I like that Gutierrez can take a walk, but that's about all he can do.

Seems like he's been in the system for many years now. It's time to see what the younger guys can do.

kpresidente
08-13-2008, 02:53 PM
Gutierrez should be in AAA.

RedsManRick
08-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Gutierrez should be in AAA.

But that would require sending Kevin Barker packing...

nemesis
08-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Barker should be sent packing. I am so tired of prospects being blocked by journeymen. Barker will be gone at the end of this year. Sned him now and get a jump on next year to see what you got. Waive Mackovic, Barker, Bolivar and Anderson and bring up Henry, Dorn, Guitererez and Valakia. If Stubbs deserved a promotion so does these 4. Then promote Castro, Frazier, Parker and Fransisco. Then move up Soto, Waring, Cozart followed with a few promotions from Billings. Keep the chain moving...

RedlegJake
08-14-2008, 10:07 AM
Barker should be sent packing. I am so tired of prospects being blocked by journeymen. Barker will be gone at the end of this year. Sned him now and get a jump on next year to see what you got. Waive Mackovic, Barker, Bolivar and Anderson and bring up Henry, Dorn, Guitererez and Valakia. If Stubbs deserved a promotion so does these 4. Then promote Castro, Frazier, Parker and Fransisco. Then move up Soto, Waring, Cozart followed with a few promotions from Billings. Keep the chain moving...

New problem for the Reds. Too many guys who deserve a promotion. Now all those "fill up the roster" types the Reds have been so rich with for years are gumming up the works. Several of them will be gone after the season. You can't just cut a whole bunch of guys in August when they can't find new teams - that's the human equation part. Get a rep as being that calloused and you'd play heck ever getting minor league FAs to play for you and every team needs them to pad rosters.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-14-2008, 10:15 AM
New problem for the Reds. Too many guys who deserve a promotion. Now all those "fill up the roster" types the Reds have been so rich with for years are gumming up the works. Several of them will be gone after the season. You can't just cut a whole bunch of guys in August when they can't find new teams - that's the human equation part. Get a rep as being that calloused and you'd play heck ever getting minor league FAs to play for you and every team needs them to pad rosters.

Good point.

IslandRed
08-14-2008, 10:28 AM

I agree. There are only about three weeks left in the minor-league season anyway, so a bump at this point isn't going to change anyone's timetable for arrival in Cincinnati. Some shuffling will always be needed to cover for injuries etc. but otherwise, let 'em go into the offseason on a "I'm kicking butt" high.

Mario-Rijo
08-14-2008, 12:43 PM
I agree. There are only about three weeks left in the minor-league season anyway, so a bump at this point isn't going to change anyone's timetable for arrival in Cincinnati. Some shuffling will always be needed to cover for injuries etc. but otherwise, let 'em go into the offseason on a "I'm kicking butt" high.

That and with incentive to be just as excited going into next season with promotions to start the season. Good point IR.

BTW Outstanding point RLJ one thing people easily overlook here is the human equation, I myself am guilty of that at times.

AmarilloRed
08-14-2008, 01:29 PM
I suppose the question then becomes do you think any purpose is served by Parker killing High-A pitchers. I would like to see what he could do against AA pitching, even if it's only for 3 weeks.

Kc61
08-14-2008, 02:24 PM
I suppose the question then becomes do you think any purpose is served by Parker killing High-A pitchers. I would like to see what he could do against AA pitching, even if it's only for 3 weeks.

I think teams feel it is an advantage to have some veterans on minor league teams, particularly AAA. Not only are they, perhaps, readier to step in as a major league fill-in, but also they provide experience from which young prospects can learn.

Over the last month or two, the AAA team has had far fewer "journeymen" than I can remember.

Under Jocketty the prospects have moved up very quickly. There are a number of AA guys (Valaika, Turner, Gutierrez, Henry, maybe Viola) who will likely start next year at AAA. And the key AA guys (Frazier, Francisco, Parker) will almost certainly be at AA.

Nothing to complain about, lots of promotions.

mth123
08-17-2008, 08:27 AM
Philosophy aside, its becoming pretty obvious that what Parker is doing this year is fairly noteworthy. After starting the year injured, Parker put up .267/.347/.492/.839 at Dayton in about 220 PA. Upon promotion to Sarasota, where most hitters see a significant drop in their stats, he's mashed to the tune of .351/.413/.598/1.011 in about 110 PA (small sample I know). Combined he has a line of .295/.369/.527/.896 in about 330 PAs in 2008. He has 22 doubles, 14 HRs and 34 BBs in 80 games. He's a LH bat who is age 24 and needs to move a little more quickly. He's a serious prospect IMO.

Parker's performance is one of many reasons why the thought of moving Joey Votto to LF permanently is making more and more sense. Alonso is the obvious future at 1B and the team has guys like Todd Frazier, Daniel Dorn, Juan Francisco and Brandon Waring who may be better served playing 1B as well (not to mention Edwin Encarnacion). Add that Adam Rosales and Tonys Gutierrez (.406 OBP in about 440 PAs in AA) look like bench players who could spend some time there, and the team may be best served moving Votto to LF (or trading him). Personally, I'd let Guttierrez and Rosales play the Hatte and Aurilia roles next year if I had to if a stopgap can't be found while waiting for Yonder. I'd stick Frazier on 3B and leave him there and I'd shop Francisco and his HR titles and youth (and awful plate discipline) in a package for another starting pitcher, a catcher or a SS of the future (though I'm higher on Cozart). Waring, Parker, Soto and maybe Dorn provide plenty of organizational depth at the Corner IF spots IMO.

Any thoughts on Parker as a prospect? I think he's a sleeper.

princeton
08-17-2008, 08:49 AM

from his draft position, lack of press, and slow rate of promotion, my guess is that he doesn't have good bat speed. but I've never seen him play.

camisadelgolf
08-17-2008, 08:50 AM

I agree completely. I'm not predicting a future All-Star or anything, but often times, you see solid players drop to the middle rounds in the draft because they don't play prime positions, and I think that's what happened to Parker.

At the time of the draft, I think the reports were that he was pretty athletic for a first baseman but that he would need to develop more power to be Major League contributor. At 6'3", you kind of had to figure he would develop some power eventually, and that's typical of the Reds lately. Instead of acquiring bench-players-at-best-but-good-chance-of-reaching-their-potential (O'Brien era) and rocket-high-ceilings-but-need-a-miracle-to-reach-it (Bowden era), they've been getting guys with realistic ceilings who just need time to develop. It hasn't always worked out, but Parker might be one of the next ones who do.

AmarilloRed
08-17-2008, 10:32 PM
Just something I was wondering about: With Alonso set to come to Sarasota, will that mean a promotion for Parker or would he get some bench time?

Grande Donkey
08-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Just something I was wondering about: With Alonso set to come to Sarasota, will that mean a promotion for Parker or would he get some bench time?Or maybe a promotion for Fransisco to open up a spot for a tryout at 3B.

11larkin11
08-17-2008, 11:27 PM
Once again it should be a chain effect. Barker let go. Gutierrez to AAA. Parker to AA. Alonso High A.

TC81190
08-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Once again it should be a chain effect. Barker let go. Gutierrez to AAA. Parker to AA. Alonso High A.
Once again, you should read some of the earlier posts in this thread.

BakoTheTako
08-21-2008, 05:56 PM
I agree completely. I'm not predicting a future All-Star or anything, but often times, you see solid players drop to the middle rounds in the draft because they don't play prime positions, and I think that's what happened to Parker.

At the time of the draft, I think the reports were that he was pretty athletic for a first baseman but that he would need to develop more power to be Major League contributor. At 6'3", you kind of had to figure he would develop some power eventually, and that's typical of the Reds lately.

Hitting balls on top of Fifth Third Arena in batting practice seems like decent enough power to me.

mth123
10-19-2008, 08:33 AM
Bumping this thread back up the list.

I just finished readings Doug's top 40 list on his site and noticed Parker was not included. IMO, based only on pure hitting ability, he is one of the top 5 to 10 guys in the system. His position puts him lower (I have him at #31), but for hitting only, he could arguably be as high as number 5 with only Frazier, Alonso, Soto and Dorn looking clearly better. I could possibly buy arguments for Francisco and Valaika, but I think Parker looks like a better all around hitter.

When this thread came-up originally, I posed a question as to everyone's thoughts on Parker and I still wonder, what is the knock on this guy who's bat so far seems pretty good?

He'll be my sleeper for 2009.

Orenda
10-19-2008, 08:51 AM
he had a pretty bad showing against lefties in Sarasota but that was only in 30 at bats, I didn't find any other splits for him.

camisadelgolf
10-19-2008, 09:19 AM
I'm a big Logan Parker fan. Doug went to UC, too, so I'm not sure what his problem is. Maybe there's some jealousy going on there. ;)

But seriously, he's a good hitter. If he were playing anywhere but first base, I'm sure he would've been included. My guess is that Parker was one of the guys who just missed being included. He's always been slightly old for his level, so I think it's understandable.

RedlegJake
10-19-2008, 11:55 AM
I think his age and the position he plays relative to his stats hold him back. If you're a minor league first baseman you better be a real masher to garner attention.

dougdirt
10-19-2008, 12:10 PM
For me, his shoulder injury really put him behind the 8-ball. He is going to start next year as a 24 year old first baseman with less than 150 at bats above Low A. He has some promise, but given his age and position, he is going to have to really crush the ball to get back in front of some guys.

mth123
10-19-2008, 01:47 PM
For me, his shoulder injury really put him behind the 8-ball. He is going to start next year as a 24 year old first baseman with less than 150 at bats above Low A. He has some promise, but given his age and position, he is going to have to really crush the ball to get back in front of some guys.

That's a fair enough reason to have him lower on the list than the guys in front of him. The system is pretty loaded with corner players and Parker clearly is behind at least 4 if not 6 or 7 of them, but he's still going to be ready for AA in 2009 IMO and has hit everywhere so far. If he hits there, he should be considered as a prospect. He's really only about a year behind a guy like Danny Dorn.

HokieRed
10-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Who has a better chance of playing in the major leagues: Parker or Craig Tatum, also not on Doug's 40? Not a criticism of the list, which I thought was good. But just a way of estimating Parker and of saying there were some pretty good players not on the list.

dougdirt
10-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Who has a better chance of playing in the major leagues: Parker or Craig Tatum, also not on Doug's 40? Not a criticism of the list, which I thought was good. But just a way of estimating Parker and of saying there were some pretty good players not on the list.

Tatum. Simply because you don't have to hit to play catcher in the major leagues.

TOBTTReds
10-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Parker is probably 45-50...not a ML'er in many minds.

gedred69
10-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Tatum. Simply because you don't have to hit to play catcher in the major leagues.

Yeah. Ain't that a shame though? There just aren't many who can hit, (other than a Mauer). But, I can remember a Joe Oliver that somehow managed to have that argueable asset of getting a hit when it mattered. That would be good enough

BuckeyeRedleg
04-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Bump.

What's the story on Parker?

You don't hear much about him, but he continues to hit. Can anyone give a scouting report on him? How is he defensively at 1B?

With the exception of 2007, where he struggled a tad in a full season at Dayton (500+ PA's), the guy has put up a .900+ OPS through his other 700+ PA's.

.858 last year in a tough hitters league (FSL) and doing pretty good so far this year in Carolina. He'll be 25 in a couple months, so I know he's not young as far as propsects go, but I would expect him to be up at AAA soon, if he continues to hit.

redsof72
05-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Good organizational player. Average defensively. Below average speed. More of a gap to gap hitter but can hit the ball a mile when the pitcher leaves one in the wrong spot. Could show higher home run totals as he gains experience and learns to turn on certain pitches. Good guy to have at the plate in key situations against right-handed pitching. Has not gotten much pub, partly because he entered the organization with a lot of guys who have overshadowed him such as Valaika, Stubbs, Dorn, Heisey, etc. If he had come out in the 2008 draft class and was playing in Dayton right now as a first full year guy, he would be their top position player prospect. Possibly the biggest negative for Parker might be that he has really struggled against lefties, to a point where even in the minors, you could pinch hit for him late in games when a tough lefty comes in. Good guy, well-liked by his teammates. Has some leadership qualities. On the prospect scale, probably about where a guy like Rosales was when he first got to Double-A. Obviously plays a position that is not a need right now at the big league level.

dougdirt
05-01-2009, 12:06 PM
My quick take on Logan Parker would be that he has the bat to be a major leaguer, even if its in a bench role one day, but its not going to be for the Reds simply because of their depth they have everywhere he may potentially be able to play.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Good organizational player. Average defensively. Below average speed. More of a gap to gap hitter but can hit the ball a mile when the pitcher leaves one in the wrong spot. Could show higher home run totals as he gains experience and learns to turn on certain pitches. Good guy to have at the plate in key situations against right-handed pitching. Has not gotten much pub, partly because he entered the organization with a lot of guys who have overshadowed him such as Valaika, Stubbs, Dorn, Heisey, etc. If he had come out in the 2008 draft class and was playing in Dayton right now as a first full year guy, he would be their top position player prospect. Possibly the biggest negative for Parker might be that he has really struggled against lefties, to a point where even in the minors, you could pinch hit for him late in games when a tough lefty comes in. Good guy, well-liked by his teammates. Has some leadership qualities. On the prospect scale, probably about where a guy like Rosales was when he first got to Double-A. Obviously plays a position that is not a need right now at the big league level.

Thanks for the report. Good stuff as always.