PDA

View Full Version : Who would you like to see the Reds acquire to play catcher in 2009?

nate
08-14-2008, 02:25 PM
Gonna borrow OBM's shortstop thread idea.

What catchers would you like to see the Reds go after and what do you think would take to get 'em?

RedsManRick
08-14-2008, 02:27 PM
I don't believe there are catchers available via trade who represent a significant upgrade over Ryan Hannigan for 2009. I would prefer to stick with Hannigan and devote our resources elsewhere.

AmarilloRed
08-14-2008, 02:31 PM
I also think Hanigan would be the preference entering 2009.

Degenerate39
08-14-2008, 02:33 PM
I guess Hanigan and another young catcher.

Mario-Rijo
08-14-2008, 02:35 PM
I don't believe there are catcher's available via trade who represent a significant upgrade over Ryan Hannigan for 2009. I would prefer to stick with Hannigan and devote our resources elsewhere.

I agree I just don't see it. I would give Hanigan the shot and see what happens.

I might however let Bako walk and p/u Gregg Zaun to back-up. The guy has a better bat than Bako and I read something recently where he mentioned being proud of his contributions to the Jays for helping mold the young Jays staff (sans Halladay). It may just have been Zaun talking himself up but I always thought he had a reputation for being a good albeit demanding backstop. I may even sign Bako to a minor league deal if he got no other takers, just in case Zaun was too hard on the young Reds staff, but I bet some of them need a little more of that.

Chip R
08-14-2008, 02:38 PM
I would think it would be Hanigan and I would guess the Reds may sign a veteran backup. I also think Javy will be back.

RedlegJake
08-14-2008, 02:41 PM
I also think Javy will be back.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaach! I hope Creek smacks you with one of her trout.

OnBaseMachine
08-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Unless the Reds can acquire a Mike Napoli or Taylor Teagarden I'd rather go with Ryan Hanigan.

RedlegJake
08-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Unless the Reds can acquire a Mike Napoli or Taylor Teagarden I'd rather go with Ryan Hanigan.

Agreed. And I'm not so sure that spending the bullets it'd take to acquire either wouldn't be better spent elsewhere for now.

lollipopcurve
08-14-2008, 02:45 PM

That's pretty much how I feel too. Intrigued a little, still, by Saltalamacchia, and it sounds like he may be the odd man out in Texas. Wouldn't pay a whole lot for him, though, since his D is questionable and his bat hasn't really translated well to the bigs so far.

Chip R
08-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaach! I hope Creek smacks you with one of her trout.

Just my opinion. I think Javy has shown the Reds he can handle 1st base and 3rd in a pinch. Plus he's a switch hitter and is comfortable off the bench. If it were me, I'd let him go but I don't make that call.

Spring~Fields
08-14-2008, 02:53 PM
I don't believe there are catcher's available via trade who represent a significant upgrade over Ryan Hannigan for 2009. I would prefer to stick with Hannigan and devote our resources elsewhere.

I would like to see Hannigan play the remaining 41 games before declaring him to be a starter, of course he might already qualify as a good backup, do we know for sure yet?

Strikes Out Looking
I don't know but I do know I'd like to only see two catchers carried on the roster in 2009.

klw
Bench should be rested and ready to go.

Chip R
08-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Bench should be rested and ready to go.

61 is the new 30. ;)

RedsManRick
08-14-2008, 03:05 PM
I would like to see Hannigan play the remaining 41 games before declaring him to be a starter, of course he might already qualify as a good backup, do we know for sure yet?

I agree to an extent. Most of the options being discussed as trade targets are not significantly more proven.

I'm interested in Napoli, but I don't know anything about his defense. At the plate, he's basically the exact same as Dave Ross. If he's got a good glove, I'm definitely interested. If only we could get a package of Willits, Napoli, and Brandon Wood. That would solve a few problems -- something like Bailey, Gonzalez, Frazier, Fransisco?

I'd love to keep Ross around as the offensive backup in the Zaun mold, but not at the price of his option...

Spring~Fields
08-14-2008, 03:12 PM
I agree to an extent. Most of the options being discussed as trade targets are not significantly more proven.

I'm interested in Napoli, but I don't know anything about his defense. At the plate, he's basically the exact same as Dave Ross. If he's got a good glove, I'm definitely interested. If only we could get a package of Willits, Napoli, and Brandon Wood. That would solve a few problems -- something like Bailey, Gonzalez, Frazier, Fransisco?

I'd love to keep Ross around as the offensive backup in the Zaun mold, but not at the price of his option...

Well, I want us to clean house on the catchers, and find the two good ones, but, that is just fan talk, that is not easy to do.

RedsManRick
08-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Well, I want us to clean house on the catchers, and find the two good ones, but, that is just fan talk, that is not easy to do.

Once you get past Mauer, McCann, Martin, Soto, Yadi Molina, and maybe Posada and Victor Martinez, it gets ugly quick. Past that, it's mostly guys with just a glove, just a bat, or neither. I'd rather not pay a ridiculous premium for a guy who is quite possibly no better than what we already have.

klw
08-14-2008, 03:28 PM
61 is the new 30. ;)

and Bill Plummer could be the backup. He has got to be available.

Team Clark
08-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Hanigan and a band aid until Tatum is ready. (Zaun should never be let near the Reds' clubhouse)

11larkin11
08-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Hanigan and (if hes in the trade) Wilkin Castillo platoon.

redsmetz
08-14-2008, 03:43 PM
That's pretty much how I feel too. Intrigued a little, still, by Saltalamacchia, and it sounds like he may be the odd man out in Texas. Wouldn't pay a whole lot for him, though, since his D is questionable and his bat hasn't really translated well to the bigs so far.

Not to mention the added expense of sewing all those letters on!

http://www.azstarnet.com/ss/2007/02/28/l171321-1.jpg

Spring~Fields
08-14-2008, 03:43 PM
I'd rather not pay a ridiculous premium for a guy who is quite possibly no better than what we already have.

Wholey agreed.

11larkin11
08-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Not to mention the added expense of sewing all those letters on!

http://www.azstarnet.com/ss/2007/02/28/l171321-1.jpg

And she happens to be sewing the jersey of now Red Nick Masset!

redsmetz
08-14-2008, 03:58 PM
And she happens to be sewing the jersey of now Red Nick Masset!

Nice catch! I hadn't noticed that.

Kc61
08-14-2008, 04:16 PM
I'd like to see AJ Pierzynski (probably wrongly spelled) play catcher for the Reds next season. Or Molina. Almost any Molina will do, but probably the guy now on the Giants.

This is a key position of need for next year. Hanigan can perhaps be the backup, but they need a serious veteran catcher on this team.

Will M
08-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Javy is OPSing .683 after a .715 last year. If the Reds re up him I'll scream. Really loud.

I think Walt is setting himself up to be flexible this offseason. We seem to be accumulating 'B' prospects. we have a lot of holes to fill ( C-SS-3B-LF-5th SP ). I suspect that if Hanigan looks ok from here out he will be pencilled in for 2009 with a cheap vet as backup. The problem with trading some of our prospects for a catcher is that no one is likely to trade a young one and catchers get old fast. The Rangers may be the exception as they seem to have a lot of catchers.

Chip R
08-14-2008, 05:35 PM
Once you get past Mauer, McCann, Martin, Soto, Yadi Molina, and maybe Posada and Victor Martinez, it gets ugly quick. Past that, it's mostly guys with just a glove, just a bat, or neither. I'd rather not pay a ridiculous premium for a guy who is quite possibly no better than what we already have.

That's very true. Guys who can hit and catch are at a premium.

_Sir_Charles_
08-14-2008, 06:51 PM
Wilkin Castillo? I sure HOPE that's who you want, because that's who we just got. :O)

Per Fay: "Wilkin Castillo, a catcher, is one of the players-to-be-named in the Adam Dunn deal. He's listed as a catcher, but he's played third base, shortstop and outfield.

He turned 24 in June. He's hitting .254 with six home runs and 47 RBI with Triple-A Tuscon. He's a switch hitter."

OnBaseMachine
08-15-2008, 02:30 AM
Baker likes Hanigan

When manager Dusty Baker was told that Baseball America named Ryan Hanigan the best defensive catcher in the International League, he said, "That's great. He's a little down-and-dirty dude. He looks good, gives a great target, and he is throwing better than I remember in spring training. And I like how he blocks the ball."

Baker said Hanigan will catch a lot, but some guys throw good to Paul Bako — Edinson Volquez and Johnny Cueto. Volquez is real confident with Bako, so he'll still get a lot of playing time."

Other Reds mentioned by Baseball America: Brandon Phillips, second best defensive second baseman in the National League behind Arizona's Orlando Hudson; pitcher Edinson Volquez, third best fastball and changeup in the NL; Jay Bruce, best hitting prospect in the International League.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2008/08/15/ddn081508spredsnotesweb.html

*BaseClogger*
08-15-2008, 02:35 AM
I don't see catcher as a need as much as SS. There just aren't that many good catchers out there, and those that are will cost too much. I think the Reds would be just fine with a real defense-first catcher...

Topcat
08-15-2008, 03:44 AM

I second the Napoli acquisition OBM. If he can be acquired for a mid reliever and i see that as a doable deal. I say try never hurts.
:thumbup:

camisadelgolf
08-15-2008, 04:36 AM
Napoli is a very frustrating player, a little more so than LaRue. Like *BaseClogger* said, shortstop is possibly a bigger need right now. I'm fine with Hanigan, Castillo, and Tatum going into 2009. It'd be nice if the Reds could retain Alvin Colina at AAA, too, because it seems like he might finally be making some offensive adjustments to go with his already above-average defense.

RedlegJake
08-15-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm willing to bet the Reds consider both catcher and SS for 2009 as taken care of at this point. C will be Hanigan, Castillo, Tatum and maybe Colina. Every one of them has a rep for good defense. As camisadel points out, Colina was once a vaunted prospect and is forgotten a lot but he's a fine defender.

AGon is expensive and unless Kremchek tells Jocketty he will never play again the job is AGon's by default - no way you can trade the guy at this point. Jocketty may be looking this winter for a SS of the future (in fact likely will) but 2009 is AGon's. Kepp, Hairston (who I think will be re-signed)and Janish will provide the backup in case he goes down.

It's very possible that the Reds also think the third position of need is taken care of. CF. Dickerson and/or Stubbs platoon, or Dickerson/Hairston platoon, or Dickerson/Freel/Hairston. Between these guys the Reds likely figure CF is taken care of.

Walt will go after a big bat at first or LF, imo (with Votto moving if need be).

OnBaseMachine
08-23-2008, 08:39 PM
This next segment isn’t going to meet with the approval of a lot of Reds fans who have expressed displeasure with Bako and his impotent bat. Asked if Bako’s work with Volquez and Cueto made him a candidate to return next year, Baker said, “Yeah, I think so."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

Oh great.

jojo
08-23-2008, 09:17 PM
I don't think Hanigan can be counted on to get it done in '09.

OnBaseMachine
08-23-2008, 09:34 PM
I don't think Hanigan can be counted on to get it done in '09.

As a starter? No. As a backup, absolutely. Hanigan could be a fine backup IMO.

jojo
08-23-2008, 09:56 PM
As a starter? No. As a backup, absolutely. Hanigan could be a fine backup IMO.

A team with no starting catcher has a problem.

Spring~Fields
08-23-2008, 10:17 PM
This next segment isn’t going to meet with the approval of a lot of Reds fans who have expressed displeasure with Bako and his impotent bat. Asked if Bako’s work with Volquez and Cueto made him a candidate to return next year, Baker said, “Yeah, I think so."
http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

Oh great.

That will help next years season ticket sales. Just keep talking Dusty and confirming.

edabbs44
08-23-2008, 10:26 PM

Oh great.

Hopefully Walt thinks differently.

Spring~Fields
08-23-2008, 10:39 PM
Hopefully Walt thinks differently.

Yes.

I think OBM was just trying to send me to an early grave by posting that. It's working. :D

*BaseClogger*
08-23-2008, 10:49 PM
A team with no starting catcher has a problem.

Right, but I think OBM's point was that Hanigan makes for a better backup than Bako, and I agree...

OnBaseMachine
08-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Right, but I think OBM's point was that Hanigan makes for a better backup than Bako, and I agree...

That's exactly what I was saying.

jojo
08-23-2008, 10:59 PM

Maybe......but, meh.

*BaseClogger*
08-24-2008, 12:26 AM
Maybe......but, meh.

Upside is always a good thing. We know Bako's limits...

Will M
08-24-2008, 12:56 AM
I'm willing to bet the Reds consider both catcher and SS for 2009 as taken care of at this point. C will be Hanigan, Castillo, Tatum and maybe Colina. Every one of them has a rep for good defense. As camisadel points out, Colina was once a vaunted prospect and is forgotten a lot but he's a fine defender.

AGon is expensive and unless Kremchek tells Jocketty he will never play again the job is AGon's by default - no way you can trade the guy at this point. Jocketty may be looking this winter for a SS of the future (in fact likely will) but 2009 is AGon's. Kepp, Hairston (who I think will be re-signed)and Janish will provide the backup in case he goes down.

It's very possible that the Reds also think the third position of need is taken care of. CF. Dickerson and/or Stubbs platoon, or Dickerson/Hairston platoon, or Dickerson/Freel/Hairston. Between these guys the Reds likely figure CF is taken care of.

Walt will go after a big bat at first or LF, imo (with Votto moving if need be).

If I were the Reds I would hope Dickerson/Freel and later Dickerson/Stubbs can handle CF. I would not spend money or prospects via trade to get a CF.

Jpup
08-24-2008, 12:58 AM
Taylor Teagarden & Jose Molina.

jojo
08-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Upside is always a good thing. We know Bako's limits...

What is Hanigan's upside in your estimation?

RedlegJake
08-24-2008, 10:35 AM
What is Hanigan's upside in your estimation?

I'll bite. Hanigan's upside is a decent OBP, almost no power, good solid defense without being great. Comp to Yadier Molina the last 2 seasons. His basement or floor is pretty low - if he doesn't play sterling defense and goes Paul Bako at the plate.

Castillo, OTOH, could be the guy who plays gold glove level defense and hits with some gap power. I'd say Castillo's ceiling is much higher but his floor may be perceived to be more pronounced. Actually I think their floor is about the same - Bako-ish, but Castillo would be the better backstop defensively.

Krusty
08-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Like to see a blockbuster trade with the Rockies which brings the Reds Matt Holliday, Chris Iannetta and Clint Barnes. There, you have the righthanded hitter, catcher and shortstop all in one deal.

buckeyenut
08-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Like to see a blockbuster trade with the Rockies which brings the Reds Matt Holliday, Chris Iannetta and Clint Barnes. There, you have the righthanded hitter, catcher and shortstop all in one deal.
What could you possibly offer COL that they would agree to send you all that without making more holes?

Spring~Fields
08-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Reds notebook
Hanigan given high marks for receiving

By John Fay

DENVER - Ryan Hanigan knows his bat isn't going to earn him the Reds' catching job for next year.

"The main priority for me is getting these pitchers down," Hanigan said. "They're being patient with me and we're making significant progress. I'm starting to relax and stay comfortable."

Hanigan is 28 years old. He was undrafted out of Rollins College, so his tools don't wow you.

But he has learned his craft. He was named the top defensive catcher in the International League by Baseball America.

He has impressed Reds manager Dusty Baker.

"He gives a good target," Baker said. "He's in the ballgame. He calls a real good game. He studies, and he throws better than I thought."

Baker sees Hanigan throwing down to second between innings with a purpose.

"Mike Matheny used to do that," Baker said. "He made himself into a good catcher."

Hanigan caught Aaron Harang's start Friday night. Harang pitched six shutout innings. It was his best outing in a month. He barely shook off Hanigan.

"We were on the same page pretty much all night," Hanigan said. "I thought things went real well. He was pitching inside. In my opinion the biggest adjustment he was making was he was staying through his fastball and pitching inside pretty much the whole game. He threw 70 percent fastballs at least."

Though defense and handling pitchers is the top priority, Hanigan did hit in the minors.

He's a career .294 hitter in the minors with a .397 on-base percentage.

"Obviously, it's an opportunity that I'm fortunate to have," Hanigan said. "I'm going to work hard and relax and see what happens."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080824/SPT04/808240440/1071

corkedbat
08-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Teagarden, Ramierez or Ianetta. If a serviceable veteran like Ramon Hernandez were available, I wouldn't mind them either. At one time I thought that I wouldn't mind having Bako return as a backup, but I'm way over that. He needs to go.

Like it or not, I'm guessing we see another 3-catcher situation next year. An acquisition and Hannigan or Tatum with Castillo taking Javy's role as a 3rd C/Utility guy because of his versatility.

Vada Pinson Fan
08-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Trading within the division for the Reds doesn't happen very often but I would like to see Jocketty make an offer for Ryan Doumit. The guy definitely has nice power, has shown at times in his minor and major league career to OBP over .400 and fielding at .987 give or take a percentage point or two either way. Pittsburgh looks to get younger after trading away Nady and Bay so perhaps Doumit, albeit in his prime now at age 27, could be traded for w/o over-paying.

mth123
08-25-2008, 08:13 PM
Trading within the division for the Reds doesn't happen very often but I would like to see Jocketty make an offer for Ryan Doumit. The guy definitely has nice power, has shown at times in his minor and major league career to OBP over .400 and fielding at .987 give or take a percentage point or two either way. Pittsburgh looks to get younger after trading away Nady and Bay so perhaps Doumit, albeit in his prime now at age 27, could be traded for w/o over-paying.

I doubt they'd deal Doumit while he's still cheap unless its for a kings ransom, but today's acquisition of Robinson Diaz may be enough depth for them to deal Ronny Paulino. Paulino is hitting pretty well at AAA and is supposed to be decent defensively (I can't say for sure if he is), if so he may be a worthy cheap target.

MartyFan
08-30-2008, 11:46 AM
I just read that Miguel Olivo is upset in KC. He and the Royals have a mutual option that he seems pretty certain not to sign off on at the end of this year.

I know little to nothing about him but do know that the Reds are going to potentially need a catcher...does he bring anything we don't already have that we would want?

Here is the article I read (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/771971.html).

“It’s only, what, (29) more games?” he said. “I’m going to do my best during that and that’s it.”

Olivo is batting .264 with 11 homers and 36 RBIs in 70 games and 250 at-bats. His batting average, on-base percentage (.291) and slugging (.472) would all be career highs.

jojo
08-30-2008, 12:30 PM
I just read that Miguel Olivo is upset in KC. He and the Royals have a mutual option that he seems pretty certain not to sign off on at the end of this year.

I know little to nothing about him but do know that the Reds are going to potentially need a catcher...does he bring anything we don't already have that we would want?

Here is the article I read (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/771971.html).

He has great tools, great make up (busts his tail to get better), and just looks like he'll be good but he's 29, an offensive black hole and hasn't figured out how to put everything together.

He'd be more hope than reliable answer.

Tornon
08-30-2008, 04:54 PM
What about this Pablo Sandoval with the Giants? They still have Bengie Molina for another year & Buster Posey coming up through their system (supposedly on the fast track)

mth123
08-30-2008, 06:36 PM
What about this Pablo Sandoval with the Giants? They still have Bengie Molina for another year & Buster Posey coming up through their system (supposedly on the fast track)

Not a bad idea. The Giants could use a package of a few of the Reds prospects. Know anything about his defense?

Tornon
08-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Not a bad idea. The Giants could use a package of a few of the Reds prospects. Know anything about his defense?

Defense does appear to be his shortcoming now. He is still very raw, however he is only 22.

mth123
08-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Defense does appear to be his shortcoming now. He is still very raw, however he is only 22.

Don't need anymore Rosses or Javys.

MartyFan
08-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Having read a little more on Olivo, it appears he is pretty good behind the plate and this year his bat has gotten a bit stronger.

All that said, with Jocketty being the GM...he sort of fits into the same profile as the Molina brothers.

OnBaseMachine
09-22-2008, 10:28 PM
What about Bako?

There is no question the Reds need catching help. Paul Bako is 36 years old and Ryan Hanigan is a rookie who already is 28.

Bako's problem is light batwork, a .211 average this season and, amazingly, career highs in home runs (6), RBIs (34) and appearances (96).

Pitchers, though, like throwing to him and Bako has caught every Edinson Volquez start. When he starts, the Reds are 41-45.

He'd like to come back and says, "I've had coaches and pitchers tell me they appreciate what I've done. That's all I ask. To be appreciated.

"What I'm proud of is that I'm 36 and a catcher, but I've played every game they've asked me to play, never asked out," he said. "And I haven't come out of a game because I've been hurt."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2008/09/23/ddn092308spredsnotes.html

Just say no to Paul Bako. He's a worthless player. He can't hit, can't run, can't throw, and he's bad defensively. He may have been a fine defensive catcher when he was younger but he's not anymore. I would let him go and either go after a younger catcher or let Ryan Hanigan have the job and sign a guy like Josh Bard as a backup.

Chip R
09-23-2008, 10:20 AM
When he starts, the Reds are 41-45.

Help me out here. People want to bring Hariston back because of the team's record when he starts but Bako is 4 games under .500 and he deserves to be brought back? :confused:

oneupper
09-23-2008, 10:45 AM
According to my quick count (could be off a game or two), the Reds are 14-8 in games which Ryan Hanigan has started.

I won't give Hanigan that much credit, but these, of course, are games that Bako (or Ross or Valentin) did NOT start.

OnBaseMachine
09-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Reds notebook
Rookie backstop Hanigan finds a backer in Baker; Might get shot at No. 1 job next year

By John Fay • jfay@enquirer.com • September 25, 2008

HOUSTON - Reds manager Dusty Baker's most important stat when evaluating catchers is their personal ERA.

Ryan Hanigan's was 3.68 going into Wednesday night.

"He studies," Baker said. "He calls a very good game. His ERA is really pretty good. I tell all my catchers to be aware of their personal ERA.

"The thing you want most is pitchers to say, 'I want to throw to him.' That's his main job, to catch," Baker said.

It sounds as if Hanigan may get a chance at the No. 1 catching job for next year.

Hanigan is 28 years old, and he went undrafted. But he's made himself into a good catcher.

"For the most part, he does everything right," Baker said. "In spring training, I liked the way he did things right. He was a guy who knew the signs as quickly as anybody. We had the verbal test. He was like the anxious kid in school who knew the answer."

"He blocks well," Baker added. "He throws better than I thought - a lot better. He's accurate. He's quick. He blocks balls in the dirt. Pitchers feel confident throwing balls in the dirt. Those things are huge."

Hanigan has held his own at the plate. He went into Wednesday's game hitting .267 with a .368 on-base percentage.

"He's a tough out," Baker said. "He's one of a few guys in the organization who has more walks than strikeouts."

Entering Wednesday, Hanigan had nine walks and eight strikeouts.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080925/SPT04/809250405/1071

BRM
09-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Catcher ERA. Now that's a great stat to use when judging your catchers.

redsfan4445
09-25-2008, 12:36 PM
if the Reds cant get Victor Martinez, then stay with Hanigan as the #1 starting catcher.

*BaseClogger*
09-25-2008, 02:07 PM
if the Reds cant get Victor Martinez, then stay with Hanigan as the #1 starting catcher.

Victor Martinez is a catcher? ;)

corkedbat
09-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Victor Martinez is a catcher? ;)

I'd be OK with another young catcher with defense and offense as good as Hannigan or a little better.

I don't think they're gonna be able to find an all-around 140-games starter, so I'm willing to settle for a solid young tandem splitting time who can do the job behind the plate and provide a little bit of offense from the 8-hole.

jojo
09-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Catcher ERA. Now that's a great stat to use when judging your catchers.

I prefer secondbaseman ERA truthfully...... :cool:

AmarilloRed
09-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Hanigan may indeed be the starting catcher next year:

Ryan Hanigan proved very capable of catching in the Major Leagues on an everyday basis," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said. "If he was our starting catcher next season, I don't think we'd hesitate nor have a problem with that. If there is a frontline catcher out there and available, we'd take a look."

MartyFan
09-25-2008, 11:18 PM
I don't hate the thought of Hanigan being behind the plate....we could (and have done) worse.