PDA

View Full Version : Wilkin Castillo is the 3rd PTBNL (Via Fay)

Grande Donkey
08-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Wilkin Castillo, a catcher, is one of the players-to-be-named in the Adam Dunn deal. He's listed as a catcher, but he's played third base, shortstop and outfield.

He turned 24 in June. He's hitting .254 with six home runs and 47 RBI with Triple-A Tuscon. He's a switch hitter.From Fay. Not impressed.

GoReds33
08-14-2008, 05:54 PM
It sounds like he's athletic. I just wonder why original articles said there were three pitchers coming back.

redhawk61
08-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Looks like WJ got his new Yadier Molina
low BB's, low K's, low power numbers, good defender...and it seems that Yadier started improving getting on base last year with a .340 OBP and this year has seemed to put it all together batting over .300 with a .348 OBP all the while with low power numbers, but good defense

I am very impressed with the haul Walt has gotten

Owens, Castillo, Buck is a very good high risk/high reward potential return

redhawk61
08-14-2008, 06:00 PM
how often do you hear of a catcher who can play SS in a pinch

improbus
08-14-2008, 06:04 PM
how often do you hear of a catcher who can play SS in a pinch

His name was Craig Biggio. He never played short, but I'm sure he could have if needed.

Griffey012
08-14-2008, 06:11 PM
I am liking the deal. It'll be nice to have what sounds to be a very athletic player at a typically non athletic position. It'll be a far cry from this year when we have 2 or 3 athletic players.

markymark69
08-14-2008, 06:18 PM
I like the deal also. To get three players, two which are close to the major leagues, for Dunn is pretty good, considering some folks only wanted a rosin bag and a dozen baseballs.

Castillo had good numbers in AA and if he can put the numbers at the amjor league level that he has put up at AAA this year, that's better than any catcher we have.

Plus, with his versatility we are not confined to just playing him behind the plate.

Owings is the one that I am excited about. Not just pitching, but his bat.

Buck, is a wait and see, but his another arm.

TheBigLebowski
08-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Not bad. Would have preferred Whitesell or another arm but I like this return a lot. Kudos to WJ. Just hope Owings' arm is okay.

Oxilon
08-14-2008, 06:26 PM
This is a good pickup and really should benefit the Reds. One, we'll have a good defensive catcher for what has seemed like an eternity (or since LaRue which is basically the same). Secondly, we can kick both Valentin and Bako to the curb where they belong.

A Hanigan/Castillo catching duo certainly won't come up big offensively or start any ASG, but they both bring good defense, and that's all I'm concerned about with in catching.

redlegs7089
08-14-2008, 06:38 PM
curious to see what dback people think about this

SoTxRedsFan
08-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Don't know a thing about Castillo, but to get what we got for 2 months of Dunn is amazing.

Griffey012
08-14-2008, 07:16 PM
If Castillo can play SS, i bet he has an absolute gun behind the plate

Mitri
08-14-2008, 07:25 PM
I'm liking this piece as well. The guy can't hit a lick, but we can hope his defense makes up for that at the moment and he can improve the offense enough for a backup/platoon role.

So next year we could be looking at a Dickerson/Stubbs platoon in CF and a Hanigan/Castillo platoon behind the plate. Lots of D and not much firepower. But they're all fairly young and should get plenty of at bats to prove themselves. Walt's plan is beginning to take shape already...

RedsFanIN
08-14-2008, 07:32 PM
I like the fact the he is strong defensively. I also like the fact that he is from the DR, I think he would work well with JC and EV.

LouisvilleCARDS
08-14-2008, 07:39 PM
A lot better deal than having 2 months of a guy who won't have a future here, or two low draft picks who likely wouldn't have been any better and we would have had to pay a lot more. Hopefully this guy can help Louisville win the Triple A crown.

Newman4
08-14-2008, 07:57 PM
If Castillo can play SS, i bet he has an absolute gun behind the plate

18 of 37 CS this season. Played everywhere but 1B and CF this season. Hit .302 last season. Not bad. :thumbup:

Oxilon
08-14-2008, 09:13 PM
I wouldn't expect him to hit much higher in the .250's in the majors though.

Fullboat
08-15-2008, 12:40 AM
I'm fine with the deal as well.Wilkin? whats with the designer names nowadays.

Blue
08-15-2008, 12:48 AM
What an awful deal. The picks would have been much better. Cheap cheap cheap. Same old Reds.

Return for Dunn + $2 million?

24 year old injured pitcher in A-ball - check
Pitcher with a 5.00+ ERA - check
24-year old AAA catcher with a .254/.305/.358 line - check

Wake me up when the next five year plan begins.

redlegs7089
08-15-2008, 12:59 AM
i know im prob not allowed to post this here but im desparate for help what do u think of ludwick for bruce and volstad in my keeper fantasy league

redsbuckeye
08-15-2008, 08:29 AM

I'm holding out for new management and/or ownership. I hear Paul DePodesta is still looking for a job.

Ghosts of 1990
08-15-2008, 08:35 AM
I guess I'm glad we got a position of need. :(

BLEEDS
08-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Actually I'd rather have this than another AA/AAAA SP - we actually have enough of those in Bailey/Maloney/Thompson. We need a SOLID STARTER at this point.

This is THE exact type of C that WK loves - D over O. I think we just found our catcher for the next 3-4 years.

I think this signals that we are going to focus on Offense and SP in Free Agency - or at least we can hope.

SS, C, and OF(CF and LF) needed addressed.
I can see Dickerson staying with the club through next year and splitting time with Hairston/Freel (whomever is healthy) in CF.
We got our Defensive-minded Catcher.
SS most likely will be AGON and Keppinger/Janish/AAA glove-no-popTBD
We need a heavy OPS LF and a SP yet - and we can target those in FA.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

DTCromer
08-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Castellini was late, but he finally made the right move in hiring Walt.

The fact we received anything for Dunn after the trade deadline is nearly a miracle.

Best. Deal. Ever.

Focusonit
08-15-2008, 11:09 AM
I really like the deal. :thumbup: A possible SP and C for a 2 month guy. Not mention the fact that people shouldn't overlook Buck. If he recovers nicely, he will be a big part of this trade. His skills are tailored for Great American Smallpark.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-15-2008, 11:28 AM
I am also pretty set that dunn would have accepted arbitration and stayed here.. negating the 2 draft picks.. great deal even if only owings is a good major leaguers.. esp since he can definitely provide a good to great of hitter if his pitching doesnt come back around..

redsbuckeye
08-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Well I guess we'll see in a few months what Dunn does regarding arb.

BLEEDS
08-15-2008, 11:31 AM
The thing that can't be lost here is that it wasn't for "Two Months of Dunn" versus us getting "NOTHING".

It's whatever we got VERSUS 2 Comp picks.

Are Buck and this AAA catcher better than a first round pick 15-30, and a pick between the 1st and 2nd round?!?!?

I'll wait to see who the third guy is, FOR SURE, before I answer that.

I do like the AAA catcher in and of itself though, as I think he fits a need. Not to say we couldn't fill that another way if we didn't get him however.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

BLEEDS
08-15-2008, 11:33 AM
I am also pretty set that dunn would have accepted arbitration and stayed here.. negating the 2 draft picks.. great deal even if only owings is a good major leaguers.. esp since he can definitely provide a good to great of hitter if his pitching doesnt come back around..

No way in Hades, you are definitely in the minority - even the minority within the 1% who know more than 99% of the world.

Take a poll of Redszone, and I'd wager it's less than 10% of people think Dunn would accept arbitration.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I(heart)Freel
08-15-2008, 03:14 PM
What an awful deal. The picks would have been much better. Cheap cheap cheap. Same old Reds.

And I guess you would've complained about the Hamilton trade because all we got was:

some pitching prospect who had failed every time he was promoted to the majors (3-10 with an ERA over 5.00)
some short statured kid who doesnt have the physique to make it

Lockdwn11
08-15-2008, 03:20 PM

Blue, Over on the D-back's board most feel the same way you do............ They feel like thier team was ripped off.

redsbuckeye
08-15-2008, 03:45 PM
And I guess you would've complained about the Hamilton trade because all we got was:

some pitching prospect who had failed every time he was promoted to the majors (3-10 with an ERA over 5.00)
some short statured kid who doesnt have the physique to make it

Oh no, I predicted Volquez would be good (unfortunately just here) as did a lot of other people. They knew he was going to be pretty good. His minors K rate was good enough to know that he could pitch quite well. He got beat up in Texas because his BABIP was so freaking high (still is with the Reds).

kpresidente
08-15-2008, 03:49 PM
The thing that can't be lost here is that it wasn't for "Two Months of Dunn" versus us getting "NOTHING".

It's whatever we got VERSUS 2 Comp picks.

That's a good point, and one which makes the deal look far less important than a lot of people are making it out to be.

redsbuckeye
08-15-2008, 03:58 PM
That's a good point, and one which makes the deal look far less important than a lot of people are making it out to be.

It's not so much that. If it had been two solid prospect arms (like Owings and pre surgery Buck) along with Castillo, that's just fine. Buck was great but looks like his arm isn't the same. Owings is also an injury concern. So all of a sudden, two injury watches and a light hitting and by the numbers average defensive catcher. To further confound Buck, the injury put him back at least 3 years (he's 23 in A ball). That's just bad news.

BLEEDS
08-15-2008, 04:30 PM

It's not so much that. If it had been two solid prospect arms (like Owings and pre surgery Buck) along with Castillo, that's just fine. Buck was great but looks like his arm isn't the same. Owings is also an injury concern. So all of a sudden, two injury watches and a light hitting and by the numbers average defensive catcher. To further confound Buck, the injury put him back at least 3 years (he's 23 in A ball). That's just bad news.

I'm kind of in the middle here.

IF you look at it like a Defensive Catcher and 2 sore-armed Pitchers, I'd almost rather take the 2 Draft Picks.

IF you look at it like 2 near ML-ready guys - the Catcher and Owings, and a risky A ball that used to have potential it's not so bad for IMMEDIATE return, IFF it's compounded with additional FA acquisitions for STARTERS in LF and SP, and/or a couple other trades.

I'm still on the fence with Owings. He looks like an older/messier version of Homer Bailey with injury issues right now. IFF he was completely healthy, I would feel a lot better about it. However, if you put his chances at coming back healthy versus two comp picks getting to the majors in less than a year, perhaps it's a good long-term pick.

To me, Buck is the wildcard. IF he pans out, I don't care who the 3rd "Official" PTBNL is, it would be considered a great trade.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

redsbuckeye
08-15-2008, 06:00 PM
IF you look at it like 2 near ML-ready guys - the Catcher and Owings, and a risky A ball that used to have potential it's not so bad for IMMEDIATE return, IFF it's compounded with additional FA acquisitions for STARTERS in LF and SP, and/or a couple other trades.

This is actually the prime thing that bugs me about the trade. The talent isn't in one spot. Castillo and Owings are more "win now" type guys and Buck is definately a long term guy. The trade suggests the Reds have no strategy and they just traded Dunn so they could make a trade.

If the idea is win now, don't trade Dunn, sign him. Or trade him for other guys that fill other needs, like Owings and Castillo (actually I think they're iffy) and someone else who can play now or relatively soon. Buck doesn't help the win now idea.

If it's a 3-5 plan, why bother with Owings and Castillo who will be approaching FA by the time Buck gets around? If you want to do that the right way, trade Dunn for Parker and Buck and nothing else. Or let him walk, get the two picks and draft some college players.

The injuries make me doubt the trade even more.

redhawk61
08-15-2008, 06:03 PM
This is actually the prime thing that bugs me about the trade. The talent isn't in one spot. Castillo and Owings are more "win now" type guys and Buck is definately a long term guy. The trade suggests the Reds have no strategy and they just traded Dunn so they could make a trade.

If the idea is win now, don't trade Dunn, sign him. Or trade him for other guys that fill other needs, like Owings and Castillo (actually I think they're iffy) and someone else who can play now or relatively soon. Buck doesn't help the win now idea.

If it's a 3-5 plan, why bother with Owings and Castillo who will be approaching FA by the time Buck gets around? If you want to do that the right way, trade Dunn for Parker and Buck and nothing else. Or let him walk, get the two picks and draft some college players.

The injuries make me doubt the trade even more.
so we got two win now guys and one "long term" guy so it shows a lack of direction. How about it shows a want to win now and continue to winning for the long term.......:eek:

RedsFanIN
08-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Owings started out real strong. He was 4 -0 in april will a low whip and BAA. He pitched good against PHI, COL, MIN, LAD, AND SF. His really bad games came against CHC, NYM, SD, KC, WAS, FLA (Games with 4 or more ER given up). With the CHC game being the worst of the bunch. Im wondering if his last 13 starts are a result of his injury.

Blue
08-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Blue, Over on the D-back's board most feel the same way you do............ They feel like thier team was ripped off.

That's wonderful. Thanks.

Lockdwn11
08-15-2008, 07:39 PM
That's wonderful. Thanks.

You are very welcome anytime I can help just let me know.

Blue
08-15-2008, 09:04 PM
You are very welcome anytime I can help just let me know.

Can you put up some collateral for a loan for me?

Lockdwn11
08-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Sorry can't help you there. All my collateral is already loaned out and I may have to start breaking some legs.Forget about it;)

redsbuckeye
08-16-2008, 10:38 AM
so we got two win now guys and one "long term" guy so it shows a lack of direction. How about it shows a want to win now and continue to winning for the long term.......:eek:

No, it shows we want to win a little bit now and maybe some in the future. Get all the talent in the same timeframe you want to win and you maximize the winning for that timeframe. Do it right. Every successful OOTP player will tell you that.