PDA

View Full Version : Question on swing mechanics

Hoosier Red
08-14-2008, 10:25 PM
**DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER**
--I realize that batting average and strikeouts are not the end all be all for measuring a players worth. While this post includes ADAM DUNN and KEN GRIFFEY JR. and ALBERT PUJOLS this is not a comparison between the players and their relative strengths and weaknesses.

I've noticed a trend with regards to power hitters.

It seems as though many right handed power hitters like Pujols, A-Rod, Manny, and Vlad are all power hitters who also hit for a high average.

Many of the left handed power hitters like Dunn, Howard and Griffey have lower batting average.

Is there something in a swing that allows a right hander to hit for power without sacrificing batting average that a left hander cannot?

Team Clark
08-14-2008, 11:45 PM
--I realize that batting average and strikeouts are not the end all be all for measuring a players worth. While this post includes ADAM DUNN and KEN GRIFFEY JR. and ALBERT PUJOLS this is not a comparison between the players and their relative strengths and weaknesses.

I've noticed a trend with regards to power hitters.

It seems as though many right handed power hitters like Pujols, A-Rod, Manny, and Vlad are all power hitters who also hit for a high average.

Many of the left handed power hitters like Dunn, Howard and Griffey have lower batting average.

Is there something in a swing that allows a right hander to hit for power without sacrificing batting average that a left hander cannot?

Nope. Bat speed, pitch recognition, point of perception, first backward movement and simple coordination (well, it sounds simple) are the main factors in contact.

bucksfan2
08-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Many of the left handed power hitters like Dunn, Howard and Griffey have lower batting average

Barry Bonds says hi.

Hoosier Red
08-15-2008, 03:39 PM
That's a fair point. Bonds has always been a freak of nature.

Just something I noticed and wasn't sure if it was a recent phenomenon or a more long standing one.

oneupper
08-16-2008, 06:43 AM
Barry Bonds says hi.

As do Babe Ruth and Ted Williams.