PDA

View Full Version : Dickerson Speechless, Reds Sign 30th Pick

WVRedsFan
08-14-2008, 11:31 PM
From Fay's blog:

Posted by JohnFay at 8/14/2008 7:53 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Chris Dickerson was speechless afterward.

He went 3-for-5 with two doubles and a triple. He drove in the go-ahead run and scored the insurance run.

"I just felt really compfortable," he siad. "I got the jitters out."

All four of hit hits are for extra bases.

"Good placement," he said.

Johnny Cueto went five innings, allowing one run on four hits, walked three and struck out seven. Cueto was lifted for a pinch-hit hitter in the sixth. And, in a roundabout way, the Reds got him the lead. It was hit first win since July 3.

Cueto gave up one in the first. He gave up back-to-back hits to start the inning, struck out the next two swinging, then gave up a bloop RBI single to Andy LaRoche.

Javy Valentin tied it in the second with his second home run in as many starts. I think if Valentin played every day, he'd hit.

Bad third for the Reds: Chris Dickerson led off with a double. Jeff Keppinger got him to third with a groundout. But Jay Bruce struck out with the infield in. Brandon Phillips and Valentin walked. Edwin Encarnacion grounded out on the first pitch. He's 1-for-13 with the bases loaded this year. He was 18-for-37 coming into this year. He hit .360 with runners in scoring position last year. This year, he's hitting .213.

Corey Patterson led off the sixth with a double. He went to third on Paul Bako's groundout. The reds sent Andy Phillips up to hit for Cueto. Phillips hit a grounder to third. But Patterson broke on contact. He was caught in a rundown. Phillips managed to get to second. Dickerson eased the pain of the blunder, but doubling Phillips in. It was Dickerson's first career RBI.

Dickerson tripled in the ninth and scored on Jeff Keppinger's squeeze.

A bit of news from Baseball America:

A source has confirmed that the Reds will finalize a contract with 30th-round pick Juan Carlos Sulbaran on Thursday. Sulbaran, a righthander from American Heritage High in Plantation, Fla., will receive a $500,000 bonus and bypass a commitment to Florida.

Sulbaran was born in Curacao and is currently playing for the Dutch Olympic team in Beijing. He secured that spot with a strong performance against Cuba’s Olympic team at Haarlem Baseball Week last month, allowing one run over seven innings while striking out six. The projectable 6-foot-3 righthander already runs his fastball into the low 90s with minimal effort and pitches from a good downhill plane. His curveball and changeup also project as average or better pitches.

Stormy
08-14-2008, 11:42 PM
I like Dickerson, irregardless of his first nights of production, and hope he gets a nod in some capacity in the 2009 OF (either as a starting CF between Bruce and a RHH sledge hammer LF acquisition), or as our 4th OF.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-15-2008, 12:05 AM
He should have been up here a while ago.

WVRedsFan
08-15-2008, 12:22 AM
I like Dickerson, irregardless of his first nights of production, and hope he gets a nod in some capacity in the 2009 OF (either as a starting CF between Bruce and a RHH sledge hammer LF acquisition), or as our 4th OF.
Absolutely agree. Players like Chris are simply what this team needs. Speed, smarts, and fielding is the definition of a good bench player. Not saying he doesn't deserve to start or play a lot, but he is valuable for that. Much better than what we've had over the last few years.

Big Klu
08-15-2008, 12:26 AM

How about we fire up the DeLorean, rev it up to 88 MPH, and go back and get Kevin Mitchell for LF? :D

dougdirt
08-15-2008, 01:27 AM
How about we fire up the DeLorean, rev it up to 88 MPH, and go back and get Kevin Mitchell for LF? :D

If we are going to go back to the 80s to get someone can we just bring back the original 44 (ok, not the original, but you know who I mean)?

camisadelgolf
08-15-2008, 01:29 AM
Kevin Mitchell was an awesome hitter. I really enjoyed watching him. Injuries could have kept him from the Hall of Fame.

And not only did the Reds sign their 30th round pick, they also signed their 35th round pick with 4th round pick money. The Reds are continuing to show that they're willing to sign players at above-slot money, and MLB can't be too happy about that.

Topcat
08-15-2008, 02:16 AM
Absolutely agree. Players like Chris are simply what this team needs. Speed, smarts, and fielding is the definition of a good bench player. Not saying he doesn't deserve to start or play a lot, but he is valuable for that. Much better than what we've had over the last few years.

But his OPS should define his value ;), seriously I wish him well and if he can prevent 30 hits or runs a yr and can give decent 270 production and a .OpS of around 345. He will be a true addition and welcome sight to the former challenged of we have run out. Oh and please show Corey Patterson the door. He is to expensive for his truly useless skillset.

Sea Ray
08-15-2008, 10:32 AM
But his OPS should define his value ;), seriously I wish him well and if he can prevent 30 hits or runs a yr and can give decent 270 production and a .OpS of around 345. He will be a true addition and welcome sight to the former challenged of we have run out. Oh and please show Corey Patterson the door. He is to expensive for his truly useless skillset.

What do you mean by 270 production and .OpS of 345?

RedlegJake
08-15-2008, 11:11 AM
What do you mean by 270 production and .OpS of 345?

He has to mean .270 BA and .345 OBP

.345 OPS is Corey Patterson.

If Chris can OPS over .700 I'm fine with him in CF. That's my Mendoza line for CF. Anything less and he's a bigger drag than defense can compensate for. Anything more increases his value tremendously.

nate
08-15-2008, 11:17 AM
He has to mean .270 BA and .345 OBP

.345 OPS is Corey Patterson.

If Chris can OPS over .700 I'm fine with him in CF. That's my Mendoza line for CF. Anything less and he's a bigger drag than defense can compensate for. Anything more increases his value tremendously.

CP is OPSing a caliente .576.

princeton
08-15-2008, 11:19 AM
If Chris can OPS over .700 I'm fine with him in CF.

didn't hit lefties much in the minors, and it'll be worse up here.

but pair him with Stubbs, and you might have something.

George Anderson
08-15-2008, 11:24 AM
I am curious why the 30th round pick is getting any ink at all?

Isn't this out of the norm??

Isn't $500,000 an awful lot of money to pay a 30th round pick?

Why haven't picks #2 to #29 been as publicized??

RedsManRick
08-15-2008, 11:30 AM

Yeah, that sort of money is 4th round money. Likely situation is that he's a Junior and everybody expected him to go back to school, so he slipped big time. The Reds took a flier on him and the trades freed up some cash. This sort of thing is an extremely underrated part of building an organization in my estimation. What if we consider that he came over as part of the Griffey deal? Makes it look a lot better...

camisadelgolf
08-15-2008, 12:00 PM

Based on the past couple years, I'd say $500,000 is second round money. The Reds must really like the guy because he demanded second round money, and the Reds supposedly weren't willing to go higher than third round money. It looks the Reds were willing to bend more to get him signed.

OnBaseMachine
08-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Yeah, that sort of money is 4th round money. Likely situation is that he's a Junior and everybody expected him to go back to school, so he slipped big time. The Reds took a flier on him and the trades freed up some cash. This sort of thing is an extremely underrated part of building an organization in my estimation. What if we consider that he came over as part of the Griffey deal? Makes it look a lot better...

Sulbaran is a high school pitcher with low 90's velocity, a projectable body, and he already has a good curveball and changeup. He was a second round talent but fell to the 30th round because most teams didn't expect him to sign. He was looking for second round money and that's what the Reds gave him, plus it didn't hurt that his dad is a huge Reds fan. He's currently pitching on the Dutch squad in the Olympics btw.

dougdirt
08-15-2008, 01:11 PM
Sulbaran is a high school pitcher with low 90's velocity, a projectable body, and he already has a good curveball and changeup. He was a second round talent but fell to the 30th round because most teams didn't expect him to sign. He was looking for second round money and that's what the Reds gave him, plus it didn't hurt that his dad is a huge Reds fan. He's currently pitching on the Dutch squad in the Olympics btw.

I believe he is scheduled to start tomorrow for the Netherlands. Should be interesting to see how he fares.

gonelong
08-15-2008, 01:22 PM
A source has confirmed that the Reds will finalize a contract with 30th-round pick Juan Carlos Sulbaran on Thursday. Sulbaran, a righthander from American Heritage High in Plantation, Fla., will receive a $500,000 bonus and bypass a commitment to Florida.

Sulbaran was born in Curacao and is currently playing for the Dutch Olympic team in Beijing. He secured that spot with a strong performance against Cuba’s Olympic team at Haarlem Baseball Week last month, allowing one run over seven innings while striking out six. The projectable 6-foot-3 righthander already runs his fastball into the low 90s with minimal effort and pitches from a good downhill plane. His curveball and changeup also project as average or better pitches.

This is the kind of move that draws me back in. Low risk drafting position, take a flyer on a high-upside kid and pay him if need be. I hope they picked the right guy, but even if they didn't I agree with the execution.

Has WJ made a bad move yet?

GL

BRM
08-15-2008, 01:24 PM
Has WJ made a bad move yet?

GL

Well, that depends on who you ask. ;)

I like what he's done so far myself.

REDREAD
08-16-2008, 10:35 PM
Kevin Mitchell was an awesome hitter. I really enjoyed watching him. Injuries could have kept him from the Hall of Fame.

And not only did the Reds sign their 30th round pick, they also signed their 35th round pick with 4th round pick money. The Reds are continuing to show that they're willing to sign players at above-slot money, and MLB can't be too happy about that.

This is why I think FA comp picks are not as valuable as they are percieved to be. If you are willing to spend the money in the draft, you can get good talent in late rounds, there's no need to have bonus picks to get highly regarded talent.

edabbs44
08-16-2008, 10:51 PM
This is why I think FA comp picks are not as valuable as they are percieved to be. If you are willing to spend the money in the draft, you can get good talent in late rounds, there's no need to have bonus picks to get highly regarded talent.

That's a great point. First rd talent falls every year. Pony up the bucks and you can get a ton of talent every draft.

lollipopcurve
08-17-2008, 07:49 AM
If you are willing to spend the money in the draft, you can get good talent in late rounds, there's no need to have bonus picks to get highly regarded talent.

Yeah, but more picks are better. Just spend a bit more.