PDA

View Full Version : This is what I do during the summer......

jimbo
08-15-2008, 12:10 AM
I thought the horse racing fans of RedsZone might find this pretty cool. I drive the starting gate for the harness races at some of the fairs in Ohio and surrounding states. This past week I was starting races at the State Fair of West Virginia and we had a guy sitting in the back taking pictures and video. I'm driving while my friend Joe is the starter. So, here's a link to the video on youtube. It's a pretty cool view that not too many get to see. Hope some of you enjoy it.

Oh, and keep an eye on the #2 horse. The driver had a hard time holding her horse and pretty much rams the gate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21RQ16OesXU

Redsfaithful
08-15-2008, 12:44 PM
That is really cool. Do you remember how the 2 ended up doing? Seemed like that horse was really ready to run.

redsmetz
08-15-2008, 02:35 PM
I agree. Talk about an entirely different perspective. It's always interesting to see the different jobs that exist. And then to get the view right down there. Great work.

jimbo
08-15-2008, 02:55 PM
That is really cool. Do you remember how the 2 ended up doing? Seemed like that horse was really ready to run.

The 2 horse ended up 2nd out of the gate and led most of the race, but tired down the stretch and finished 4th or 5th. The horse was pretty hot (fired up) and the driver just wasn't strong enough to hold him. Not ideal, a driver needs to be capable of holding a horse like that or they will develop bad habits and will likely always tire towards the end of the race.