PDA

View Full Version : Expertise

improbus
08-15-2008, 09:27 AM
In what would you consider yourself an "expert"? Obviously, we are all Reds and baseball experts. We all know everything there is to know about baseball, so don't claim that. It can be anything, whether it is useful or not (just look at my list).
Here is my list:
-Latin (Spoken word or Written word)
-Coffee
-RPG/Zelda games
-The NBA
-Cheap Restaurants
-Channel Surfing
-Befriending foreigners (my friends list includes people from every continent in large quantities)

cumberlandreds
08-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Using the remote for my TV. :) But I guess all of us guys are experts at that.

gonelong
08-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Homo Universalis

GL

SunDeck
08-15-2008, 10:10 AM

Is there much opportunity to speak Latin? Cool.

Pizza- I can make a better pizza than 90% of the retail pizza places. Including the "gourmet" joints.

Tree and plant identification. I can drive by a tree or a roadside plant at 60 miles an hour and identify it by it's Latin name without slowing down.

Fixing broken toys with household items (like hangers, paper clips, chunks of broken plastic that I mill into the correct shape). Comes with the territory when you have little disposable income.

Navigating without a map. I have an uncanny ability to find my way while driving. Put me in the middle of a mall, however, and I can't find my own backside without my wife pointing it out to me.

Edskin
08-15-2008, 10:14 AM
--I do consider myself a sports encycolpedia. My claim to fame is being able to name the champions from all the major sports, every year, starting in the early 70's. I guess the NFL/Super Bowls would be my super-super specialty. I was an only child, and was sometime raised by NFL Films :)

--Well, it's my job, so I'd say I am pretty much an expert on sprinkler systems and landscape lighting.

--I'm also really good at pop culture trivia-- especially anything have to do with 80's TV shows.

That's all I got.

wolfboy
08-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Westlaw (begrudgingly)

improbus
08-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Is there much opportunity to speak Latin? Cool.

No, you end up talking to yourself...

I do know most of the fluent Latin speakers in the country. Its a fairly exclusive and incredibly geeky club. And, the head of Latin speaking in the US can be found where? In good ol' Kentucky! UK's program is tops and the only one that conducts classes entirely in Latin.

RedsManRick
08-15-2008, 11:42 AM

I do know most of the fluent Latin speakers in the country. Its a fairly exclusive and incredibly geeky club. And, the head of Latin speaking in the US can be found where? In good ol' Kentucky! UK's program is tops and the only one that conducts classes entirely in Latin.

Are you in the Classical Humanities? My brother is a Classics grad student at UCLA and knows both Greek and Latin...

I'm not sure I consider myself expert in anything save perhaps procrastination and google searching...

improbus
08-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Are you in the Classical Humanities? My brother is a Classics grad student at UCLA and knows both Greek and Latin...

I'm not sure I consider myself expert in anything save perhaps procrastination and google searching...
I was a Classics major and got my Masters in it at UK. I studied both Latin and Greek, but my Greek is pretty rusty...

Johnny Footstool
08-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Dilettantism.

OldRightHander
08-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Rand McNally

Jpup
08-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Sports video games, baseball, and I also think I'm pretty damn good at my job. :)

TeamCasey
08-15-2008, 03:48 PM
Bacterial DNA topology

improbus
08-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Sports video games, baseball, and I also think I'm pretty damn good at my job. :)

I would consider myself an expert at three sports games:
1) Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES (All I have to say is PRO T FLARE D)
2) Coach K Basketball for the Sega Genesis (94-95 season) - Greatest video basketball game ever.
3) NHL 96 on the Genesis

RedsFan75
08-15-2008, 04:10 PM

3 years in the study of Latin gave me a great insight into the various languages that are based off it and a greater grasp of the knowledge and meaning of various words and phrases. Or.. 'A verbis, notio'

My sister and I were just talking about this the other day... we both had taken latin and would converse with each other. After I moved away we both kinda lost the desire or now the ability!

Redhook
08-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Golf - playing and teaching
Beer - not your crappy light beers. Real, good beer.
Coffee
Buffalo Wings - Hooter's wings are the worst by far
Cheeseburgers
Driving Long Trips
Booking Hotel Rooms
Watching 3 shows at one time with one remote
Cooking Blackened Salmon on a cedar plank
B****ing at poorly-timed traffic lights

NorrisHopper30
08-15-2008, 08:23 PM
In what would you consider yourself an "expert"? Obviously, we are all Reds and baseball experts. We all know everything there is to know about baseball, so don't claim that. It can be anything, whether it is useful or not (just look at my list).
Here is my list:
-Coffee
-RPG/Zelda games
-The NBA
-Cheap Restaurants
-Channel Surfing
-Befriending foreigners (my friends list includes people from every continent in large quantities)

Cool, I took Latin a few years ago during my freshman and soph years at Moeller high school.

As for my expertises:
-MLB
-NBA
-NFL
-Fantasy Sports
-Bowling
-High School Football (Mostly Ohio)
-High School Basketball
-Everything Rivals, all high school recruits for basketball and football. I'm looking forward to Rivals upping there game and adding Baseball to the mix (they experimented with it this year).
-Cornhole
-Croquet
-Texting
-Call of Duty 4

TeamSelig
08-15-2008, 11:48 PM
other than MLB/Reds...

basketball
terrorism & homeland security
fantasy sports
chuck norris
computers (operation not necessarily maintenance)
eating white castle cheeseburgers
retail
making babies

Raisor
08-15-2008, 11:53 PM
pancakes

macro
08-16-2008, 10:00 AM
MLB cap logos and styles, 1940 - present.

KittyDuran
08-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Old cartoons (Warner and MGM) and musicals (all studios). I have lots of tapes and books on the subjects.

I'm also pretty good at identifying 1960s pop/rock songs after the first few bars - but lousy at the trivia games.

Researching (any kind) whether it be on the computer or a book (got lots of them). The Best? Computer: Google and Wiki. Books: NY Public Library Desk Reference and Farmer's Almanac. Pocket Books: Webster's Handbook of Practical Information (purchased in 1987) and Webster's Dictionary (purchased in 1970) both of which I still keep in my briefcase.

Raisor
08-16-2008, 03:44 PM
- but lousy at the trivia games.

When I go out for trivia night at resturants and bars, I never have to pay for dinner. I am the KING of useless trivia.

MaineRed
08-16-2008, 11:02 PM
basketball
terrorism & homeland security

Here is some analysis you gave on the Celtics early last season. Pure genius. I highlighted my favorite parts. LMAO.

Starter: K. Perkins (NOT a starter to begin with)
Starter: KG (we all know how good he is, its no secret)

Coming off the bench:

Brian Scalabrine - just 6'9" and not with a big body either, not much of a rebounder, shot blcoker, or really anything you want in a big (plus he has red hair)

Glen Davis - he is a rookie with really limited potential, fat, and if he ever does become something I doubt it begins this season

Scot Pollard - you said he is an emergency but it is an emergency when you are running out Scalabrine and Davis. Doesn't play much like you said, but 6-7 minutes a game is 6-7 minutes too many.

Leon Powe - doesn't belong on an NBA roster

Obviously if any teams best players get injured, they will really be hurting, but even if Perkins who really shouldn't be a starter, or even Scalabrine goes down, Boston will really be hurting.

And you keep taking away the Knicks 6th man and say that their bench sucks. Okay, minus Posey and the rest of the bench would make for a mediocre D-league team.

The Celtics have no depth at positions they are weak at. I love Rondo to death and he has done a pretty good job, but I think you still need a decent back up in case he struggles. Eddie House? OK, he is a bench player, but I'm not so sure he would be able to platoon or start a few games here and there (minor, nagging injuries, etc.) You have Ray Allen who is getting up there in the age department, and his back up just came off knee surgery. You are fine at SF with Pierce and Posey. KG and anyone on the planet would make for an OK PF rotation. At center you have a guy who shouldn't be starting followed by guys who shouldn't be on NBA rosters.

It's very simple and I'm not sure why you are in denial about it.

Based on this I pray that if you work for Homeland Security that your checks are signed by someone from the Taliban.

MWM
08-16-2008, 11:30 PM
Yeah, MR, THAT was really necessary. Hopefully, that gets you antoher "vacation".

Patrick Bateman
08-16-2008, 11:36 PM
Curling
NHL
NHL 94 on SNES
Mario Kart
5 Pin Bowling
Seinfeld trivia
Fantasy Sports (especially hockey)

Raisor
08-16-2008, 11:39 PM
I've got my ordering down pat at Starbucks.

So I got that going for me, which is nice.

TeamSelig
08-17-2008, 03:03 AM
Here is some analysis you gave on the Celtics early last season. Pure genius. I highlighted my favorite parts. LMAO.

Based on this I pray that if you work for Homeland Security that your checks are signed by someone from the Taliban.

Glen Davis 2.3 PPG 1.5 RPG
Brian Scalabrine 1.8 PPG 1.6 RPG
Powe put up decent stats for a spark off the bench although only played 56 games... Perkins posted 6/6 which is nothing to write home about.

I'm missing the part where my prediction was ridiculous? Not to mention 90% of sports writers shared the same thoughts questioning their depth. Besides, I already said I was wrong when they won the championship.

If you'd like to debate homeland security, that is fine by me. Or I can start throwing shots your way all the time. What exactly is it that you do, sir? Besides harassing people on message boards and being a general nuisance?

I think we all have figured out what your "expertise" is...

MaineRed
08-17-2008, 06:04 AM
Debate homeland security? Gee, sounds fun. I just thought it was funny that you list yourself as a basketball expert when you were so off on the team that won the title. Who cares what sportswriters have to say? They aren't experts either, just people who have a grasp of the language. You don't get a job working for the NY Times if know who won the Super Bowl in 1979.

You don't see how your post is ridiculous? Other than predicting that Brian Scalabrine (a man who spent the play-offs in street clothes due to the depth on the team) would be his normal sucky self, what did you say that wasn't ridiculous? Leon Powe ate the Lakers for lunch and you say he doesn't even belong in the NBA. Kendrick Perkins, despite what his "averages" were is a decent NBA starting center (a lot better than Jamal Magloirre I might add). You were making allegations about James Posey's attitude when it was Posey who was the glue that held the team together. There were NO attitude problems. All this from an "expert"?

Put yourself in my shoes TS. Imagine if I gave you a bunch of fluff about one of your teams, just kept saying negative thing after negative thing and then your team won the title. What would you say if I then came on and claimed to be an "expert" on that particular sport? You'd just let it go?

Or I can start throwing shots your way all the time.

Hey, if I have said something numb and then claimed to be an expert on the subject, feel free to come at me with the gloves off. Unlike some people I can handle it and will respond without making idle threats.

MWM, still upset about Tebow, eh?

"He won't win, he is a sophomore, touchdowns don't matter".

HumnHilghtFreel
08-17-2008, 06:27 AM
Sarcasm.
Procrastinating.
Military FPS video games(I'm not too great at games like Halo).
Sports gambling(ok, maybe not an expert, but I haven't lost my house yet :) ).
List making.
Driving while eating/drinking/talking on a cell phone.
Fantasy basketball. The other sports, not so much.
And while I'm not so proud of this one, lying. I'm a great liar.

Chip R
08-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Let's get back on topic, people.

thatcoolguy_22
08-17-2008, 10:42 AM
1) NFL
2) Madden
3) Halo and C.O.D 4
4) Beer
5) Soccer (playing)
6) RPG's
7) Hip Hop
8) My F4i (either stunting or on twisties)

princeton
08-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Bacterial DNA topology

a circle has topology?

I did mechanisms of bacterial membrane protein topology a few careers ago.

TeamCasey
08-17-2008, 12:42 PM
I've got my ordering down pat at Starbucks.

So I got that going for me, which is nice.

I think you need a graduate degree for that. :)

TeamCasey
08-17-2008, 12:47 PM
a circle has topology?

I did mechanisms of bacterial membrane protein topology a few careers ago.

http://www.bentham.org/cmcaca/sample/cmcaca1-1/holden/f1-p2-%20holden.gif

Yeah ..... mine was about 2 careers ago now. Weird when I think about it and considering what I do now.

vaticanplum
08-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Style on a budget. I can make anybody look like a million bucks for under ten.

princeton
08-17-2008, 01:20 PM
is that called topology? when I was in bacteria, von Hippel and Cozzarelli gave talks about such things. lab next to mine when I was at Princeton did too, about 10 years ago. PI didn't get tenure-- not sure where she went.

now all I ever hear about are chromatin structure in euk's: HDACs and HATs, closed conformations and open ones.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-17-2008, 01:23 PM
is that called topology? when I was in bacteria, von Hippel and Cozzarelli gave talks about such things. lab next to mine when I was at Princeton did too, about 10 years ago. PI didn't get tenure-- not sure where she went.

now all I ever hear about are chromatin structure in euk's: HDACs and HATs, closed conformations and open ones.

I understood a few words in there. Mainly "is" and "that."

TeamCasey
08-17-2008, 03:39 PM

I met Nick Cozzarelli ..... he helped me with some early purification work.

OldRightHander
08-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Style on a budget. I can make anybody look like a million bucks for under ten.

I don't know. I bet I could provide a bit of a challenge.

RBA
08-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Google. I can google with the best of them.

Also, multi-tasking. I can watch tv, type on the laptop, listen to the radio, and watch youtube all at the same time.

GoReds33
08-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Typing
Any PS2 game
Baseball Mogul the game
Math- I have no idea why, but I'm great at it.

RFS62
08-17-2008, 08:48 PM
speling

TeamSelig
08-17-2008, 09:08 PM
Debate homeland security? Gee, sounds fun. I just thought it was funny that you list yourself as a basketball expert when you were so off on the team that won the title. Who cares what sportswriters have to say? They aren't experts either, just people who have a grasp of the language. You don't get a job working for the NY Times if know who won the Super Bowl in 1979.

You don't see how your post is ridiculous? Other than predicting that Brian Scalabrine (a man who spent the play-offs in street clothes due to the depth on the team) would be his normal sucky self, what did you say that wasn't ridiculous? Leon Powe ate the Lakers for lunch and you say he doesn't even belong in the NBA. Kendrick Perkins, despite what his "averages" were is a decent NBA starting center (a lot better than Jamal Magloirre I might add). You were making allegations about James Posey's attitude when it was Posey who was the glue that held the team together. There were NO attitude problems. All this from an "expert"?

Put yourself in my shoes TS. Imagine if I gave you a bunch of fluff about one of your teams, just kept saying negative thing after negative thing and then your team won the title. What would you say if I then came on and claimed to be an "expert" on that particular sport? You'd just let it go?

Hey, if I have said something numb and then claimed to be an expert on the subject, feel free to come at me with the gloves off. Unlike some people I can handle it and will respond without making idle threats.

MWM, still upset about Tebow, eh?

"He won't win, he is a sophomore, touchdowns don't matter".

I wasn't the only one questioning their depth. The entire world did. Their depth still was never their strong point. Atlana Hawks. I also clearly stated that I was wrong when they won the ship, so get over it.

Meanwhile, I haven't seen one prediction from you, mostly just spouting off and acting crazy. See the Don Imus thread. Can't you have a nice friendly debate over something without insults?

08-18-2008, 01:11 AM
Let's get back on topic, people.

Chip is both correct here and is displaying an area of expertise.:)

cincinnati chili
08-18-2008, 01:46 AM
speling

bwahahahaha.

Navels (http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-images/navels.html).

Ltlabner
08-18-2008, 09:11 AM
speling

Dang...you took mine.

I'm in industrial sales so I know a little about a lot. So not sure I'm really an "expert" in anything.

If I had to chose something, I'd say firearms and aviation.

And while I know a fair amount about both those subjects, I'd hardly call myself an expert. Very knoweledgable, yes. Expert no.

Am I the only one getting a chuckle out of the folks responding with laundry lists of 15 topics of which they are "expert" ?

oneupper
08-18-2008, 10:06 AM
Am I the only one getting a chuckle out of the folks responding with laundry lists of 15 topics of which they are "expert" ?

I'm with you, Ltlabner. I don't think of myself as an expert on anything.

However, people do seem to seek one's advice in certain matters (whether warranted or not), which is probably what makes one an "expert" of sorts.

In the land of the ignorant...the guy who knows a "little something" becomes an expert.
:D

westofyou
08-18-2008, 10:24 AM

Nope... I'm enjoying it immensely myself.

Me?

I'm an expert in pissing my wife off.

Everything pales in comparison to that skill set.

RFS62
08-18-2008, 12:20 PM
In the land of the ignorant...the guy who knows a "little something" becomes an expert.
:D

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King"

I've sat near many self-proclaimed "experts" at ballgames and it's always a little ray of sunshine to listen to their yapping.

Chip R
08-18-2008, 01:44 PM
I've sat near many self-proclaimed "experts" at ballgames and it's always a little ray of sunshine to listen to their yapping.

No doubt discussing the relative merits of Roger Bresnahan and Johnny Kling. ;)

15fan
08-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Me?

So you & I are cut from the same cloth, eh?

durl
08-18-2008, 03:15 PM
- Burgers
- Finding a movie line to fit almost any situation. (Side-effect of watching too much Remington Steele?)
- Making my youngest daughter laugh.
- Though my abilities are dwindling, I used to have a ton of knowledge on Warner Bros. cartoons. A friend and I spent months recalling the square dance call to "Hillbilly Hare" back in the day when it was considered to be too violent for Saturday morning and prior to DVD.

redsmetz
08-18-2008, 03:51 PM

When I was in the seminary, there was one student who was a fluent Latin speaker and a couple of the older priests who would converse with him accordingly. That was the only Latin I took there, my freshman year. I had a t-shirt from Velva Sheen for the Mingo Indians and my Latin teacher asked why I had a shirt on that said "I pee Indians" - geeky, definitely.

Since I'm a freight rate transportation consultant, I'm fairly expert at that. Since I've been doing it since the 70's, I'm one of the youngest old timers who knew how to do freight rates pre-computer. Most folks my age and younger didn't get into the industry until the early to mid 80's, so I knew my way around a tariff. It comes in handy when the carriers have no idea what the written words of their pricing books are. That, and sometimes I have to show them the dictionary definition of words like "and" or "or" to tell them why they've overbilled my client.

I'm somewhat expert in the Beatles and seem to no a little about a lot of things. Our friends used to send their kids to me for homework assignments. My wife says I was the internet before the internet. My godson insulted me once though when he suggested I was Cliff Claven. That was going to far.

As for your original post, having been on Redszone for a few years, I'm not sure I would claim to be an expert in baseball.

flyer85
08-18-2008, 04:04 PM
The first thing that came to mind was "pancakes" ... but Raisor already took that. I suppose that ought to tell me something ,however, I am not sure what it is.

I used to be good at bowling and softball which I suppose should make me an expert on consuming mass quantities of beer and knowing the smell of stale cigarette smoke but I neither drink nor smoke.

I guess I'm pretty much of a failure other than my part in the conception and raising of my soon to be college bound daughter. She is smart, good looking and lot of fun to be around ... in other words, my opposite.

Blimpie
08-18-2008, 05:38 PM
I would consider myself an expert at three sports games:
1) Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES (All I have to say is PRO T FLARE D)
2) Coach K Basketball for the Sega Genesis (94-95 season) - Greatest video basketball game ever.
3) NHL 96 on the GenesisCome get some, sucka.

:cool:

paintmered
08-18-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm pretty darn proficient in napping and queso dip.

KittyDuran
08-18-2008, 08:53 PM
- Though my abilities are dwindling, I used to have a ton of knowledge on Warner Bros. cartoons. A friend and I spent months recalling the square dance call to "Hillbilly Hare" back in the day when it was considered to be too violent for Saturday morning and prior to DVD.

Here's some of it. (from Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies-A Complete Illustrated Guide to the Warner Bros. Cartoons by Jerry Beck & Will Friedwald - which I purchased at a place called Cartoon Corner in the old Forest Fair Mall here in Cincinnati)

"Grab a fence post, hold it tight, whomp your partner with all your might... Whomp him low and whomp him high, stick your finger in his eye!"

George Anderson
08-18-2008, 09:59 PM
I was an absolute walking encyclopedia of baseball at around the age of 12. I once quized myself on who played in the WS from 1903 to around 1980 and with maybe five misses I got all of them right. Cy Young Awards, MVP's, ROY's and all the other useless minutia was also something I was very good at. Also Babe Ruth trivia and of course BRM trivia were also things I could impress people with my knowledge.

Time and a few other things :beerme:have not been good for my memory but I still remember alot.

RedsBaron
08-19-2008, 06:57 AM
I was an absolute walking encyclopedia of baseball at around the age of 12. I once quized myself on who played in the WS from 1903 to around 1980 and with maybe five misses I got all of them right. Cy Young Awards, MVP's, ROY's and all the other useless minutia was also something I was very good at. Also Babe Ruth trivia and of course BRM trivia were also things I could impress people with my knowledge.

Time and a few other things :beerme:have not been good for my memory but I still remember alot.

That was me at age 12 as well. I can still rattle off who played who, and who won, each World Series from 1903 through 2007, but I'm really much better at baseball trivia from the 1967-78 era than I am with what has occurred in the last 30 years.

RFS62
08-19-2008, 08:34 AM
That was me at age 12 as well. I can still rattle off who played who, and who won, each World Series from 1903 through 2007, but I'm really much better at baseball trivia from the 1967-78 era than I am with what has occurred in the last 30 years.

Wow, that's pretty impressive.

I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday.

George Anderson
08-19-2008, 08:55 AM

The funny thing is I have an absolute horrible sense of direction. I have lived in Indianapolis my whole life and still to this day I get lost going places around here. My parents and wife will often joke that I don't know where such and such a place is but I do know who was in the 1922 WS.

I have always been pretty good at trivia. Years ago before "Bob and Tom" went national they used to have a sports trivia call in contest and I won so many times it was unreal. Between "Bob and Tom" and other local sports shows that had trivia I won enough prizes that I never had to actually buy anyone Christmas or Bday presents ever again.

Just dont ever ask me for directions.

RedsBaron
08-19-2008, 12:20 PM
I do know who was in the 1922 WS.

John McGraw's New York Giants defeated Babe Ruth and the New York Yankees. I believe the series went five games, as one game was a tie, ending in darkness. Otherwise, the Giants romped in McGraw's last World Series championship. The 1921-22 Giants are one of only three NL teams to win consecutive World Series. The other teams to do it were the 1907-08 Chicago Cubs, who defeated the Detroit Tigers and Ty Cobb each year, and of course the 1975-76 Reds, who defeated the Red Sox and the Yankees.
I cannot recall the score of even a single game in the 2007 World Series, but I can remember the score of every World Series game in 1975 and 1976. In '75, the scores were 0-6, 3-2, 6-5, 4-5, 6-2, 6-7, 4-3. In '76 the scores were 5-1, 4-3, 6-2 and 7-2.

George Anderson
08-19-2008, 12:28 PM
John McGraw's New York Giants defeated Babe Ruth and the New York Yankees. I believe the series went five games, as one game was a tie, ending in darkness. Otherwise, the Giants romped in McGraw's last World Series championship. The 1921-22 Giants are one of only three NL teams to win consecutive World Series. The other teams to do it were the 1907-08 Chicago Cubs, who defeated the Detroit Tigers and Ty Cobb each year, and of course the 1975-76 Reds, who defeated the Red Sox and the Yankees.
I cannot recall the score of even a single game in the 2007 World Series, but I can remember the score of every World Series game in 1975 and 1976. In '75, the scores were 0-6, 3-2, 6-5, 4-5, 6-2, 6-7, 4-3. In '76 the scores were 5-1, 4-3, 6-2 and 7-2.

WOW

You are much better than me!!

TRF
08-19-2008, 12:36 PM

Me?

pissing my wife AND kids off.

it's more an art form than anything else.

Everything else? I learn something new every day.

OldRightHander
08-19-2008, 05:01 PM

Me?

And just how does that skill make you any different than any other married man?

HumnHilghtFreel
08-19-2008, 05:32 PM

Are you implying that I am not indeed proficient in an impressive multitude of tasks? HMPH!!! :)

Razor Shines
08-19-2008, 05:32 PM
I've thought of a couple of things that I think I know a lot about, but for each thing I can think of people who know much more than I on that subject. So I guess nothing. Is it possible to be an "expert" on something at the age of 26? Probably, I'm sure I'm just behind.

Johnny Footstool
08-19-2008, 05:54 PM
SNL from 1982-present

Mr. Show

Kids in the Hall

X-men

Redsfaithful
08-19-2008, 07:31 PM

7-0, 5-4, 8-3, 2-1

Those kinds of things do tend to stick with you I think, but I wasn't around in the 70's.

I'm an expert in website marketing and social media. And I'd definitely say that's about it, I'm a lot more beginner to intermediate in all of my other interests.

Ltlabner
08-19-2008, 08:40 PM
Are you implying that I am not indeed proficient in an impressive multitude of tasks? HMPH!!! :)

Oh no. Never. :p:

I guess it depends on your defintion of "expert".

When I think of "expert" I think nationally renound mastery of a subject. You've written books, given speaches and most everybody in your industry/hobby recognizes you are the go-to guy for info on the subject.

Thats a long shot from profecient or even "really knowledgable".

RedsBaron
08-19-2008, 09:22 PM
7-0, 5-4, 8-3, 2-1

Those kinds of things do tend to stick with you I think, but I wasn't around in the 70's.

I'm an expert in website marketing and social media. And I'd definitely say that's about it, I'm a lot more beginner to intermediate in all of my other interests.

While I know that the 1990 Reds swept the A's in 1990, I can't immediately bring the scores of that series to mind. The difference for me is that I grew up rooting for, and idolizing, the members of the 1975-76 Reds, whereas by 1990 I was in my 30's, older than most of the players. I was, and still am, a Reds fan, but not like I was in my youth.
I'm not really an expert on anything, if by that it is meant that I know more than almost anyone else about a particular subject.
I do know a lot about my wife and sons, a lot about how to do my job, and a lot of trivia.

Deepred05
08-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Gambling. Poker, billiards, horse racing, sports betting, blackjack, craps, I have spent my whole life trying to beat the odds. More succesful than most, but not enough to make a living.

OldRightHander
08-20-2008, 11:05 AM
I would be hesitant to call myself an expert on anything. There are a few things that I know a fair amount about because I read a lot, but I wouldn't call myself an expert. I have an interest in 18th and early 19th century sailing ships, American Revolution through the Napoleonic wars, but I wouldn't call myself an expert. I've just read a lot because of my interest. I'm a decent musician as well. I played in an Irish folk band for a few years and I'm a fairly good singer. Does that make me an expert? I don't think so. Just a bit talented in that area. I can also find my way to just about every major city in the US without a map. Maybe that counts for something.

RedsFan75
08-20-2008, 03:18 PM
I gotta agree with ORH, I hesitate to say an expert at anything, I've played the bass since I was 16, but I won't call myself an expert, cause I'm still pushing still learning. I know a lot about WWII and can ID a LOT of airplanes and Helicopters at site and sometimes sound, and while I may be an advanced level C++ programmer I'd hardly call myself expert in any of these... (Ok that last line reminded me of the Sicilian in Princess Bride time to stop typing! :D )

TRF
08-20-2008, 03:52 PM
X-men

really? Who was Jean Grey's roommate just before and after she became the Phoenix, the first time?

god, I need to get out more.

Redsfaithful
08-20-2008, 05:09 PM
While I know that the 1990 Reds swept the A's in 1990, I can't immediately bring the scores of that series to mind. The difference for me is that I grew up rooting for, and idolizing, the members of the 1975-76 Reds, whereas by 1990 I was in my 30's, older than most of the players. I was, and still am, a Reds fan, but not like I was in my youth.

Yeah I definitely hear you there. I was 9 in 1990, which I think is just about the right age for that sort of remembrance.