PDA

View Full Version : New sudden death rule in baseball

BCubb2003
08-15-2008, 04:32 PM
I forget whether it's live or not, but the US-Cuba game is in the 11th, where a sudden death feature kicks in. The inning starts with a runner on second or something.

It starts with runners on first and second. Cuba chose 8 and 9 spots on the bases, with the leadoff hitter leading off the inning.

Sac bunt moves the runners over. Single scores two runs.

oneupper
08-15-2008, 04:37 PM
I forget whether it's live or not, but the US-Cuba game is in the 11th, where a sudden death feature kicks in. The inning starts with a runner on second or something.

Cuba won 5-4. Sorry to burst that bubble.

Its a new IABF thing. Runners on first and second to start the inning after the 11th.
I think you can also choose where to start your batting order.

Don't care for it much.

RedEye
08-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Whoa... I thought this thread title was referring to something else entirely. Sad to hear that the US lost, but glad to hear there was no real death involved.

BCubb2003
08-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Cuba won 5-4. Sorry to burst that bubble.

Its a new IABF thing. Runners on first and second to start the inning after the 11th.
I think you can also choose where to start your batting order.

Don't care for it much.

When did Calvinball become an Olympic sport?

Matt700wlw
08-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Play the game the way it's supposed to be played.

If it goes 18 innings.....it goes 18 innings.

Unassisted
08-15-2008, 04:55 PM

If it goes 18 innings.....it goes 18 innings.How much better off would the Reds and Aaron Harang be now if this rule had been in place in MLB a couple of months back? ;)

oneupper
08-15-2008, 04:57 PM
IABF took a page from College Football, which is infinitely worse.

Hap
08-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Ain't the way Pete Rose played.

--anonymous

KittyDuran
08-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Whoa... I thought this thread title was referring to something else entirely. Sad to hear that the US lost, but glad to hear there was no real death involved.I did too... bad, BCubb...:nono:

BCubb2003
08-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Sounds like the kind of crazy rules they have in Chip R's old-timey baseball.

Chip R
08-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Sounds like the kind of crazy rules they have in Chip R's old-timey baseball.

Naw. We'd just call it a tie and drink beer. :beerme:

BCubb2003
08-15-2008, 05:08 PM
I did too... bad, BCubb...:nono:

If I could edit the title, I would.

Matt700wlw
08-15-2008, 05:10 PM
nm

KronoRed
08-15-2008, 05:15 PM
Well this is the last year for basebal in the olympics so lets hope we never see this silly rule again.

princeton
08-15-2008, 05:22 PM
the U10 team that I coach has played in tournaments having this rule.

I like it. Gets the tournaments to finish on time, and saves young arms.

RFS62
08-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Yep, it's for the pitchers.

Matt700wlw
08-15-2008, 05:35 PM

How selfish of the pitchers....;)

BCubb2003
08-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Can we expect to see it in the All-Star game?

SMcGavin
08-15-2008, 06:00 PM
IABF took a page from College Football, which is infinitely worse.

The traditional football overtime had a severe problem, a huge advantage was determined by a coin flip. The new system makes that advantage much less.

Baseball "overtime" doesn't have that problem, so no need to go to a system like this. It does make sense for amateur competitions though.

oneupper
08-15-2008, 06:35 PM
The traditional football overtime had a severe problem, a huge advantage was determined by a coin flip. The new system makes that advantage much less.

Could have made it a lot easier....visitor gets the ball first in overtime. Period. Home team knows they should play for the win in regulation.

Or at LEAST start somewhere a field goal isn't a given. But wrong forum, I guess.

UKFlounder
08-15-2008, 07:07 PM
I think softball had this rule (or something similar, perhaps only in college) and that is where this came from.

RedFanAlways1966
08-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Don't like it. Call this something other than baseball. This is not how baseball is supposed to be played. Kids game, not a problem. Anything else, than play the game the right way. Want to save arms, then manage smarter or score some runs.

Aluminum bats, free runners, ghost-men, pitcher's hand... not the real thing IMO. Give me MLB. Give me the real thing. The thing called baseball.

Big Klu
08-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Could have made it a lot easier....visitor gets the ball first in overtime. Period. Home team knows they should play for the win in regulation.

Or at LEAST start somewhere a field goal isn't a given. But wrong forum, I guess.

I think they should start at the 50-yard line.

westofyou
08-15-2008, 09:25 PM

If they want to save the pitchers arms I suggest they move the mound in to pre 1893 distance instead of juicing two of the bases... that just sounds like a change from someone who spends more time watching back and forth sports than the grand old game.

westofyou
08-15-2008, 09:39 PM
http://www.baseballmusings.com/

If this is Olympic Baseball, I'm glad I'm not watching:

Oh, and by the way: The new Extra Innings Rule had to be used for the first time, and the Americans pretty much hate it. Terry Tiffee, the Dodgers Triple-A first baseman probably headed for The Show shortly, called it "bogus."

Miquel Castillo alerted me to the rule:

I was checking on the Olympics reports (not only beach volley...) and found out about a new extra innings rule in international baseball. Apparently, from the 11th on, every inning starts with men on 1st and 2nd and no outs.

If they're going to write silly rules like this, then it's best baseball isn't a part of these games.

4256 Hits
08-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Don't like it. Call this something other than baseball. This is not how baseball is supposed to be played. Kids game, not a problem. Anything else, than play the game the right way. Want to save arms, then manage smarter or score some runs.

Aluminum bats, free runners, ghost-men, pitcher's hand... not the real thing IMO. Give me MLB. Give me the real thing. The thing called baseball.

Like the DH. :p:

westofyou
08-16-2008, 12:51 AM
Like the DH. :p:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080424&content_id=2579325&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

As far back as 1906, the use of an extra hitter to bat instead of a pitcher was brought forth by none other than Connie Mack, the legendary owner and manager of the Philadelphia Athletics. Mack's concept was more of a designated pinch-hitter, so that the pitcher's spot in the order could have been taken by any one other hitter not already in the lineup. So, in effect, the DH was then known as the DPH.

Purists within the Major Leagues held firm to the notion that every position player, pitcher included, get a turn at the bat, and the measure wasn't brought up seriously again until 1928 at the suggestion of John Heydler, then president of the NL.

Heydler pushed for a designated pinch-hitter as a way to speed up the game, although it was never clear how that would be accomplished. Since the DH has been in effect, AL games are usually longer than NL games. The irony 80 years ago is that NL owners approved of it, but AL owners did not. Endorsement was required of both leagues, so it died.

The chinese water torture of rules changes.

cincinnati chili
08-18-2008, 01:39 AM
It's better than shootouts in soccer and hockey.

westofyou
08-18-2008, 10:11 AM
It's better than shootouts in soccer and hockey.

Burger King is better than Carls Jr. Doesn't make either of them fine dining.

In those sports fatigue is a greater factor, in that scenario they are trying to save both teams from collapsing, in this scenario it's one mans arm (or the need to use another pitcher) that is being being protected or the integrity of the whole game.

I see no comparison myself.

Triples
08-18-2008, 12:08 PM

If it goes 18 innings.....it goes 18 innings.

Deep down I would prefer to see the game left alone but the rules as we know them today came into being long before tournaments like the one in question were even thought about. Given that these are kids playing and arms need to be protected; they play a bunch of games in a short period of time; rosters are limited; and there are multiple games per day creating scheduling problems if a game goes to far into extra innings; I can understand why these rules were implemented. It doesn't mean that the change is imminent in MLB.

princeton
08-18-2008, 12:22 PM
we implement it so that siblings that got dragged along to the game have less time to vandalize the facility :thumbup:

Roy Tucker
08-18-2008, 12:37 PM
I have no problem with it in youth and amateur tournaments. Maybe up into HS ball. Young arms are all-to-often seriously abused.

I'm on the fence it being in NCAA college baseball.

I can't imagine it ever being seriously considered for MLB and minor league baseball.

I understand why hockey and soccer have shootouts, but have never been a big fan of them. I like the NHL 4-on-4 OT. I've seen some soccer tournaments where the overtimes are played without goalies before going to shootouts.