PDA

View Full Version : Reds sign Venezuelan OFer!

princeton
08-16-2008, 01:17 AM
REDS SIGN PRIZED VENEZUELAN OUTFIELDER

The Reds have announced the signing of premier Venezuelan CF Yorman Rodriguez. The high profile, 5-tool player turned 16 years old today.

"Yorman is one of the premier position players in Latin America," said Reds Senior Director of Scouting Chris Buckley. "In Rodriguez and Juan Duran, we've signed 2 of the top players available in that market and consider both to be first-round draft picks. This organization has made great progress in international scouting."

Mario-Rijo
08-16-2008, 01:30 AM
That's great news. Good job Bob/Walt and company. :clap:

Topcat
08-16-2008, 03:17 AM
REDS SIGN PRIZED VENEZUELAN OUTFIELDER

The Reds have announced the signing of premier Venezuelan CF Yorman Rodriguez. The high profile, 5-tool player turned 16 years old today.

"Yorman is one of the premier position players in Latin America," said Reds Senior Director of Scouting Chris Buckley. "In Rodriguez and Juan Duran, we've signed 2 of the top players available in that market and consider both to be first-round draft picks. This organization has made great progress in international scouting."

Oh Man the plan is looking sweet! If long term future on Red's future was in doubt? This last few days has all but sealed a future with a ton of promise.:beerme:

MartyFan
08-16-2008, 03:18 AM
I love this...I think we can also thank Krivsky for his hand in this one too.

OnBaseMachine
08-16-2008, 03:23 AM
Awesome, awesome news. I was fairly confident all along that the Reds were going to sign him and then a few hours ago I began to get nervous due to the lack of news. It turned out no news was good news. This signing thrills me. Yorman supposedly has the tools to be a great center fielder and has been compared to the likes of Miguel Cabrera and Carlos Beltran. His power and speed have been rated as 70's on the 20-80 scouting scale. This just further proves the Reds are becoming major players in the International scene. Juan Duran and Yorman Rodriguez were the big signings but Junior Arias was also a fairly big signing. This is awesome. The Reds have added a lot of talent to the organization lately.

OnBaseMachine
08-16-2008, 03:51 AM
Reds ink highly touted Venezuelan
Rodriguez, 16, considered five-tool center fielder
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- While the Reds finalized their deal with first-round Draft pick Yonder Alonso, they also made another move on Friday night that was significant for their developmental system.

Center fielder Yorman Rodriguez, a 16-year-old from Venezuela, was signed to a contract. Considered a five-tool player, his birthday was on Friday. The youngest a foreign player can sign a contract is 16.

"He might be the top position prospect in all of Latin America," Reds scouting director Chris Buckley said.

Terms of the deal were not revealed.

Rodriguez is the second highly touted young Latin player to enter the Reds system this year. On Feb. 27, Dominican outfielder Juan Duran was signed.

"We've signed two of the top players available in that market and consider both to be first-round Draft picks," Buckley said. "This organization has made great progress in international scouting."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080816&content_id=3317379&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Homer Bailey
08-16-2008, 04:14 AM
I told you guys a few weeks ago that we were getting him, and it is just now hitting me that we are really building this much talent. Please let it equal major league talent.

MrCinatit
08-16-2008, 05:15 AM
I told you guys a few weeks ago that we were getting him, and it is just now hitting me that we are really building this much talent. Please let it equal major league talent.

Kudos to you, I remember your statement.
A lot of sudden hope coming out of this organization with the signings and the invigorating play of some of our youngsters on the big league roster.
So...when can Rodriguez put on a major league uniform and chase that one guy out of the center field spot? :D

SirFelixCat
08-16-2008, 06:45 AM
What a great day for the Reds organization and the fan base. A marked change of direction from regimes past...yay for all around. A good day to celebrate!

jesusfan
08-16-2008, 09:30 AM
What a team this could be In 2011 or 2012! We would only need to resign phillips and let these young guys play their way up... Even resigning Phillips is not a definite, Valaika could definitely play 2nd on that team...I know there are alot of ???? but also a lot of potential...

C- Devin Mesoraco
1st- Yonder Alonso
2nd- Brandon Phillips/Chris Valaika
SS- Junior Arias
3rd- Todd Frazier (Votto could move there, if not flip him for a catcher or pitching)
LF- Juan Duran
CF- Y'mon Rodriguez
RF- Jay Bruce

jojo
08-16-2008, 09:42 AM
The beauty of 16 yo's.....you can dream them to be anything you want.

It's a good thing that the Reds are building a program in Latin America, but I'm not willing to portend that the signing of the best high school sophomore centerfielder in "the state of Texas (roughly the pop of Venezuela)" cements the Reds status as future contenders.

lollipopcurve
08-16-2008, 09:51 AM
but I'm not willing to portend that the signing of the best high school sophomore centerfielder in "the state of Texas (roughly the pop of Venezuela)" cements the Reds status as future contenders.

No, let's not let the revelry get out of hand. That would be reserved for signings by the Mariners, even farther from contention than the Reds.

johngalt
08-16-2008, 10:01 AM
What a team this could be In 2011 or 2012! We would only need to resign phillips and let these young guys play their way up... Even resigning Phillips is not a definite, Valaika could definitely play 2nd on that team...I know there are alot of ???? but also a lot of potential...

C- ?
1st- Yonder Alonso
SS- Junior Arias
3rd- Todd Frazier (Votto could move there, if not flip him for a catcher or pitching)
LF- Juan Duran
CF- Y'mon Rodriguez
RF- Jay Bruce

That would be an awesome, awesome lineup oozing with talent and potential. Something we haven't seen in a while.

Only thing is, you're still talking Duran and Rodriguez being 16 year olds right now. It'll still be awfully tough to have them ready for the big leagues by 19 or so, especially since Duran has struggled this year in the DSL and Rodriguez hasn't even played yet.

jojo
08-16-2008, 10:02 AM
No, let's not let the revelry get out of hand. That would be reserved for signings by the Mariners, even farther from contention than the Reds.

Actually no it wouldn't and by the way, if a competent FO gets installed, the Ms have the resources to become competitive very quickly.

lollipopcurve
08-16-2008, 10:07 AM
if a competent FO gets installed, the Ms have the resources to become competitive very quickly.

best of luck to you

puca
08-16-2008, 10:08 AM

Jojo is right though, this is the equivalent of signing a HS sophmore. Way to early to start projecting him as a Red. A lot of things can happen on the way to adulthood.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy about the signing. You can't win the lottery without buying some tickets. I just think I'll wait at least until he is tearing it up in A+/AA before I go looking for a Yorman Reds jersey.

puca
08-16-2008, 10:11 AM

C- ?
1st- Yonder Alonso
SS- Junior Arias
LF- Juan Duran
CF- Y'mon Rodriguez
RF- Jay Bruce

Why wouldn't Mez be your catcher on this hypothetical, if everything goes right squad?

traderumor
08-16-2008, 10:47 AM
When is an American kid who has to go through the draft sue MLB for foreign signings of underage kids? While this is the Reds playing according to the rules, I think the rules just have to be changed. This is a patently unfair system that we already see leads to massive corruption, both foreign and domestic (i.e. sloughing of bonus cash). It is clear why MLB was wise enough to institute the draft in the first place. Now, they need to expand to pool to the world. I'm sure that won't be simple since we are dealing with foreign countries and their laws, but sold to the highest bidder in a system with grossly divergent revenue streams per franchise is patently unfair.

traderumor
08-16-2008, 10:50 AM
The beauty of 16 yo's.....you can dream them to be anything you want.

It's a good thing that the Reds are building a program in Latin America, but I'm not willing to portend that the signing of the best high school sophomore centerfielder in "the state of Texas (roughly the pop of Venezuela)" cements the Reds status as future contenders.I think the principal here is "wow, the Reds secured a top Latin talent. Is this the Reds? This is part of a formula for success in today's MLB landscape. Maybe the Reds have stepped into the current era instead of wishing for the good ole days to come back."

princeton
08-16-2008, 11:06 AM
this hypothetical, if everything goes right squad

odd thing is that, other than Homer Bailey, everything HAS been going right for a year or so.

jojo
08-16-2008, 11:08 AM
I think the principal here is "wow, the Reds secured a top Latin talent. Is this the Reds? This is part of a formula for success in today's MLB landscape. Maybe the Reds have stepped into the current era instead of wishing for the good ole days to come back."

We've all been looking for a process and I think that this is the culmination of a process that was started by, gulp, Dano and further solidified by Wayne.

As I've said, it's a good thing.

The Reds scouting and player development system is their greatest strength IMHO.

We should be past the point of surprise at this point.

jesusfan
08-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Why wouldn't Mez be your catcher on this hypothetical, if everything goes right squad?

You are right... Mez would be my catcher... I'm hoping he pans out, which he is starting to do.. that would be an unreal team, if everything goes right... Imagine a Beltran type player in Rodriguez, Cabrera type player in Duran, Jay Bruce, Votto, Alonso on the same team... There are big ???? though...

traderumor
08-16-2008, 02:04 PM
We've all been looking for a process and I think that this is the culmination of a process that was started by, gulp, Dano and further solidified by Wayne.

As I've said, it's a good thing.

The Reds scouting and player development system is their greatest strength IMHO.

We should be past the point of surprise at this point.Until you see the fruit, it is just talk. This and the Alonso signing are a clear signal that the way Reds do business is not just a conversation on RZ, but is actually being practiced. That is significant, and from being around here awhile, there are many who are shocked that the FO is doing anything right ;)

redsmetz
08-16-2008, 02:40 PM
I love this...I think we can also thank Krivsky for his hand in this one too.

I was just thinking that too. While the problems on the ML roster went awry this year, the roots seem to be turning out to be very good.

Falls City Beer
08-16-2008, 03:32 PM
We should be past the point of surprise at this point.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. Until these prospects become Reds or effective trade bait, this system hasn't been turned around at all. Bruce and Cueto *appear* to be bellwethers. But we'll certainly have to wait and see. They may simply be Wandy Rodriguez and Hunter Pence, for example; decent pieces but not prime movers.

lollipopcurve
08-16-2008, 04:00 PM
I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. Until these prospects become Reds or effective trade bait, this system hasn't been turned around at all.

I suggest you go back and check out the Reds' affiliates' rosters from, say, 2000-2004. There is no comparison to the talent in the system now.

fearofpopvol1
08-16-2008, 04:07 PM
I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. Until these prospects become Reds or effective trade bait, this system hasn't been turned around at all. Bruce and Cueto *appear* to be bellwethers. But we'll certainly have to wait and see. They may simply be Wandy Rodriguez and Hunter Pence, for example; decent pieces but not prime movers.

Well of course it's a crapshoot at this point, but the difference is the Reds are actually spending real money on prospects, both in the draft and in the Dominican. Both have not been present (to this degree) in the past.

Whether these players turn into something remains to be seen, but they are trying at least. That's not something that could be said much in the past.

traderumor
08-16-2008, 04:46 PM
I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. Until these prospects become Reds or effective trade bait, this system hasn't been turned around at all. Bruce and Cueto *appear* to be bellwethers. But we'll certainly have to wait and see. They may simply be Wandy Rodriguez and Hunter Pence, for example; decent pieces but not prime movers.That is the same song as "we cannot evaluate this trade until we see how those involved in the trade do going forward." I'm pretty sure you don't ascribe to that theory, so why are these types of transactions different?

OnBaseMachine
08-16-2008, 04:55 PM
Some guy over on SaberScouting says he read in a Venezuelan newspaper that Yorman signed for $2.7 million.

camisadelgolf
08-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Some guy over on SaberScouting says he read in a Venezuelan newspaper that Yorman signed for $2.7 million.

He was rumored to be signing for around $2.75mm, so that makes sense.

RedlegJake
08-16-2008, 05:14 PM
Well of course it's a crapshoot at this point, but the difference is the Reds are actually spending real money on prospects, both in the draft and in the Dominican. Both have not been present (to this degree) in the past.

Whether these players turn into something remains to be seen, but they are trying at least. That's not something that could be said much in the past.

Exactly. No one is saying the Reds have suddenly become a good team with these moves, or that there are ironclad guarantees but what we're seeing beats the holy heck out of the incompetence and indifference before. Going to the last hour of negotiations to sign Yonder instead of letting him walk away, going aggressive after the best talents possible internationally, putting up the money to persuade some talented late rounders to sign who were there precisely because every other team also felt they wouldn't sign this year - these are indications something very different and much better is happening within this organization.

OnBaseMachine
08-16-2008, 05:32 PM
The 2009 GCL Reds squad is going to be very entertaining to watch with Juan Duran in left field, Yorman Rodriguez in center, Junior Arias at shortstop and Juan Carlos Sulbaran in the rotation. Not to mention the 2009 draftees that will join them.

lollipopcurve
08-16-2008, 07:37 PM
The 2009 GCL Reds squad is going to be very entertaining to watch with Juan Duran in left field, Yorman Rodriguez in center, Junior Arias at shortstop

I'm not sure these kids won't be in the DSL.

AmarilloRed
08-16-2008, 07:38 PM

Do you need to be 18 to play in Rookie ball? They may be in the DSL for a couple of years.

lollipopcurve
08-16-2008, 07:40 PM
Do you need to be 18 to play in Rookie ball?

No

OnBaseMachine
08-16-2008, 07:46 PM

I think Duran is a lock for the GCL. Yorman and Arias may stay in the DSL but my guess is the Reds will bring 'em to the GCL.

Falls City Beer
08-16-2008, 07:50 PM

There's absolutely no argument with this point. They are putting a more concerted effort in.

Falls City Beer
08-16-2008, 07:54 PM
That is the same song as "we cannot evaluate this trade until we see how those involved in the trade do going forward." I'm pretty sure you don't ascribe to that theory, so why are these types of transactions different?

I think we can judge acquisitions and pick ups contemporaneously--but a farm is different. Largely because it's not the ends of a baseball organization. It's simply one of the means.

To say that this organization's drafting and developing process is "fixed" and that we should be "unsurprised" at its effective maintenance is so much protesting. It will be fixed when it works--that is, when it produces MLB wins. It can't be otherwise.

mth123
08-16-2008, 08:22 PM
I think we can judge acquisitions and pick ups contemporaneously--but a farm is different. Largely because it's not the ends of a baseball organization. It's simply one of the means.

To say that this organization's drafting and developing process is "fixed" and that we should be "unsurprised" at its effective maintenance is so much protesting. It will be fixed when it works--that is, when it produces MLB wins. It can't be otherwise.

I agree with you FCB. If it doesn't lead to improvement in the majors its pointless. But, maybe getting so many promising reinforcements the last couple years will allow the team to package several of the mid-level guys to help the big league team. I'd be looking at the teams in need of a quick fix for farm depth (San Francisco for example) and offering a package of guys like Valaika, Francsico, Stubbs, and Maloney for some vets with contracts they are looking to dump but could fill the Reds holes. SF would probably put all those guys in their top 10 list, but on the Reds they are somewhat redundant with Turner, Waring, FRazier, Soto, etc. The Reds could use guys like Winn, Molina and Correia who SF probably wants to move and the Reds won't miss a few prospects with the new found depth. With Dunn gone, the team certainly has the room to absorb a couple contracts. I'm sure that other teams with barren farms beside SF would match up as well.

traderumor
08-16-2008, 08:32 PM

To say that this organization's drafting and developing process is "fixed" and that we should be "unsurprised" at its effective maintenance is so much protesting. It will be fixed when it works--that is, when it produces MLB wins. It can't be otherwise.EE, Cueto, Votto and Bruce are current testimonies that good things are happening in development. I do understand your distinction and apprehension to claim the current system is a completed pipeline and agree, for the most part.

jojo
08-16-2008, 10:18 PM

So Tampa's system was broke until this season?

That's poppycock. Its fixed when it's producing talent and a system is in place so that it's a reasonable expectation that it will continue to do so.

Based upon the way the Reds have approached their international scouting since Dano's days, signing a latin player, even one of the more touted ones, shouldn't shock any Reds fan who watches their farm. BTW, I never claimed they've got a "pipeline". Rather, I've argued it's time to acknowledge they've built something and it's a tangible strength.

lollipopcurve
08-16-2008, 10:23 PM
signing a latin player, even one of the more touted ones, shouldn't shock any Reds fan who watches their farm.

The Reds' signing of Duran and Rodriguez is unprecedented.

jojo
08-16-2008, 10:26 PM

It's as I said earlier a culmination of a process.

Falls City Beer
08-16-2008, 10:41 PM
So Tampa's system was broke until this season?

That's poppycock. Its fixed when it's producing talent and a system is in place so that it's a reasonable expectation that it will continue to do so.

Based upon the way the Reds have approached their international scouting since Dano's days, signing a latin player, even one of the more touted ones, shouldn't shock any Reds fan who watches their farm. BTW, I never claimed they've got a "pipeline". Rather, I've argued it's time to acknowledge they've built something and it's a tangible strength.

It's not that the farm is "broken," but it's not "fixed" until produces product. A farm isn't a static product; it's a process.

While I may have moved from atheistic to agnostic, I see no reason to fully believe. The players get higher ratings from publications and scouts and it "appears" they're remaining healthier and advancing, but if they can't make the jump to MLB, then something is wrong with the player or the development system.

SoTxRedsFan
08-16-2008, 10:49 PM
It's not that the farm is "broken," but it's not "fixed" until produces product. A farm isn't a static product; it's a process.

While I may have moved from atheistic to agnostic, I see no reason to fully believe. The players get higher ratings from publications and scouts and it "appears" they're remaining healthier and advancing, but if they can't make the jump to MLB, then something is wrong with the player or the development system.

The Reds just got finished moving up Bruce, Cueto, and Votto. That to me is producing players. We have a few pitchers at AAA that could be ready next season in Thompson and (please dear lord) Bailey. We just had a CF move up to the big squad, and an even better prospect moved up to take his place in AAA. There is a ton of hitting potential in the lower levels of the minor leagues. We've just signed 2 potential gamechangers after signing 1 earlier this season.

I see where you are coming from with your pessimism, but I'm seeing nothing but good things coming from our system now and in the future.

Falls City Beer
08-16-2008, 11:05 PM
The only prospect who appears to be *clearly* a cut above what they've been able to produce over the last 20 years or so is Cueto. But even he has a ways to go. But he's young, so there's perhaps more reason to have faith there.

jojo
08-16-2008, 11:05 PM
A farm isn't a static product; it's a process.

Ignoring for a moment that homegrown talent is only part of what it takes to build a 90 win roster, the above observation is why waiting for the farm to produce winning 25 man rosters is a very blunt/imprecise way to judge it.

Falls City Beer
08-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Ignoring for a moment that homegrown talent is only part of what it takes to build a 90 win roster, the above observation is why waiting for the farm to produce winning 25 man rosters is a very blunt/imprecise way to judge it.

Not at all. Otherwise, the farm is simply a discrete element, removed from the MLB.

The MLB player is the product; the farm is a part of the process.

It's like thinking a K-12 school system is fixed before a single one of its students graduates from college. It certainly appears that the pieces are in place. And perhaps it's good enough that other teams see the Reds' farm and think, "Hey they look pretty good; maybe I'll trade with them," but considering how little they've produced over the last several decades, I can only imagine that other GMs have a bit more skepticism when receiving farm products from the Reds.

guttle11
08-16-2008, 11:28 PM
It's like thinking a K-12 school system is fixed before a single one of its students graduates from college.

Horrible analogy. College is not a universal big leagues, and you can't trade recent high school grads for someone else's college seniors...or washouts...or skilled trade workers. K-12 schools exist to build a foundation of education and discipline in order prepare a young adult to make a mature, educated choice in the direction of their life.

Farm systems are tough. In the end the truest measure of a system is the big league talent it spawns, but it doesn't have to be that way. Great GMs can take a bad system, shine it up real nice, and get good major league talent in return (Jocketty). Perception can be a wonderful (or cruel) mistress.

Falls City Beer
08-16-2008, 11:33 PM
Horrible analogy. College is not a universal big leagues, and you can't trade recent high school grads for someone else's college seniors...or washouts...or skilled trade workers. K-12 schools exist to build a foundation of education and discipline in order prepare a young adult to make a mature, educated choice in the direction of their life.

Farm systems are tough. In the end the truest measure of a system is the big league talent it spawns, but it doesn't have to be that way. Great GMs can take a bad system, shine it up real nice, and get good major league talent in return (Jocketty). Perception can be a wonderful (or cruel) mistress.

Most school systems are in fact judged partly on attrition rates of their graduates when they get to college.

It's obviously not a perfect analogy, but it wasn't meant to be. Success can't be judged until products are truly produced. At least to some extent.

jojo
08-16-2008, 11:43 PM
Not at all. Otherwise, the farm is simply a discrete element, removed from the MLB.

The MLB player is the product; the farm is a part of the process.

It's like thinking a K-12 school system is fixed before a single one of its students graduates from college. It certainly appears that the pieces are in place. And perhaps it's good enough that other teams see the Reds' farm and think, "Hey they look pretty good; maybe I'll trade with them," but considering how little they've produced over the last several decades, I can only imagine that other GMs have a bit more skepticism when receiving farm products from the Reds.

Your approach absolutely is too blunt while actually ignoring that the farm is a process.

Here's why-the Reds system really was rubble when Dano took over. Consider that the system's birthday. Now pretend that you're Walt for a minute. You not only have the power to change aspects of the scouting department/player development that are flawed, you've got the obligation to do so. By your standard, you'd have to basically wait several years to see how the system has effected the Reds at the major league level before you'd be qualified to make the necessary decisions about how to change the system. In other words, you wouldn't be able to actually fix it because you couldn't evaluate it quickly enough.

I'd suggest that given the revamped system has produced 3 major league starters recently, players behind them in the minors are legitimately progressing, and the international scouting department has been developed to the point that the Reds are now able to tap into the latin mines consistently to infuse high ceiling talent into the farm, the Reds farm is behaving like systems from other organizations that are considered to be the better run farms in the majors.

Next year, depending upon who is on the mound, the Reds starting lineup could have 5 out of the 9 slots filled by home grown talent and it's likely most of them will be at least league average.

In other words, if a company was planning a hostile take over of Reds Inc, the farm would be a division that would be considered one if it's strengths or greater sources of value.

As for the K thru 12 analogy, good lord, I'd hope that a school district wouldn't wait 16 years to evaluate itself........

kaldaniels
08-17-2008, 01:20 AM
Does anyone have a few examples of kids from the Dominican who were signed as a teen phenom that went on to have sucess...I'm just curious.

fearofpopvol1
08-17-2008, 01:42 AM
Probably the most notable being Miguel Cabrera, someone the Reds almost signed.

OnBaseMachine
08-17-2008, 02:42 AM
Does anyone have a few examples of kids from the Dominican who were signed as a teen phenom that went on to have sucess...I'm just curious.

Miguel Cabrera, Vladimir Guerrero, Felix Hernandez, Francisco Rodriguez, Edinson Volquez, Hanley Ramirez, Carlos Zambrano, Johan Santana...there's more but I just listed some off the top of my head. A few of those are Venezuelans.

kaldaniels
08-17-2008, 02:52 AM
Miguel Cabrera, Vladimir Guerrero, Felix Hernandez, Francisco Rodriguez, Edinson Volquez, Hanley Ramirez, Carlos Zambrano, Johan Santana...there's more but I just listed some off the top of my head. A few of those are Venezuelans.

Very impressive list. Where all/any of those guys "phenoms" (as Yorman seems to be) or were they just one of many mass signings from Latin America.

OnBaseMachine
08-17-2008, 03:11 AM
Very impressive list. Where all/any of those guys "phenoms" (as Yorman seems to be) or were they just one of many mass signings from Latin America.

I know that Vlad, Volquez, King Felix, Miguel Cabrera, and Hanley Ramirez were all big signings, as for the rest I'm not sure.

Lockdwn11
08-17-2008, 11:10 AM
I don't know if this has been posted but I found this little tidbit on Yorman Rodriguez

2. Yorman Rodriguez, CF, Venezuela
Yorman Rodriguez has been touted as the top position player in this class for some time. His selling point is a rare combination plus-plus speed and plus-plus raw power. He’s a five-tool talent with an outstanding frame, athleticism, and defensive tools, but like most July 2nd hitting prospects, he gets a wide range of reviews on his ability to hit.

The common refrain on a raw bat are heard with Rodriguez: lunges at the ball, trouble identifying breaking pitches, trouble with high level stuff, questionable approach, and 5 o’clock power (batting practice only). Some players grow out of it, some never adjust, so the team that gets Rodriguez believes in his ability to make adjustments.

He has all the elements of a star centerfielder. He’s been compared to Miguel Cabrera for his powerful bat and Venezuelan bloodlines, but more athletic comparisons like Cesar Cedeno, Eric Davis, or a right-handed hitting Carlos Beltran seem more apt. That being said, Rodriguez, or any of the hitters below him, could go to the GCL and hit .180 for three seasons and make everyone look stupid, but those kind of comparisons let you know why teams will pay him and that the tools are for real.

http://http://www.saberscouting.com/2008/06/27/july2ndothers/#more-249 (http://www.saberscouting.com/2008/06/27/july2ndothers/#more-249")

Doc. Scott
08-17-2008, 01:31 PM

Am I right that the closest we came before to a big-ticket Latin American signing was Alejandro Diaz (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/D/Alejandro-Diaz.shtml)?

That guy was a lot older than 16, but he got huge money from the JimBo regime. Fun read I googled up:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/sbn/sbn02min.htm

It lists Gookie Dawkins as a projected all-star, ahead of Adam Dunn- and Rob Bell as a front-of-the-rotation starter. There's a bunch about Diaz in there.

redhawk61
08-17-2008, 03:01 PM
From BA

Reds Sign Yorman Rodriguez

Posted Aug. 17, 2008 12:16 pm by Ben Balder
Filed under: Daily Dish, International
Yorman Rodriguez, perhaps the most athletic player available for this year’s July 2 international signing period, has signed with the Reds.
International scouts contacted by BA indicated they believed the bonus was for $2.7 million, although the official number has not been confirmed. That bonus would be the largest signing bonus ever given to a player from Venezuela.
Rodriguez, who just turned 16 this month, is a four-tool player who draws praise from scouts for his athleticism, speed, power and arm strength. Scouts say his hit tool lags behind his other abilities–a significant concern for several scouts–but his athleticism and ceiling are both high. Between the signing of Rodriguez and of 16-year-old Dominican outfielder Juan Duran earlier this year for $2 million, the Reds have added two of this year’s top talents from Latin America.
"Yorman is one of the premier position players in Latin America," Reds scouting director Chris Buckley said in a press release. "In Rodriguez and Juan Duran, we’ve signed two of the top players available in that market and consider both to be first-round draft picks. This organization has made great progress in international scouting."

LoganBuck
08-17-2008, 03:52 PM
From BA

Reds Sign Yorman Rodriguez

Posted Aug. 17, 2008 12:16 pm by Ben Balder
Yorman Rodriguez, perhaps the most athletic player available for this year’s July 2 international signing period, has signed with the Reds.
International scouts contacted by BA indicated they believed the bonus was for $2.7 million, although the official number has not been confirmed. That bonus would be the largest signing bonus ever given to a player from Venezuela.
Rodriguez, who just turned 16 this month, is a four-tool player who draws praise from scouts for his athleticism, speed, power and arm strength. Scouts say his hit tool lags behind his other abilities–a significant concern for several scouts–but his athleticism and ceiling are both high. Between the signing of Rodriguez and of 16-year-old Dominican outfielder Juan Duran earlier this year for $2 million, the Reds have added two of this year’s top talents from Latin America.
"Yorman is one of the premier position players in Latin America," Reds scouting director Chris Buckley said in a press release. "In Rodriguez and Juan Duran, we’ve signed two of the top players available in that market and consider both to be first-round draft picks. This organization has made great progress in international scouting."

Is it just me or were these two signings more about the splash they made in Latin America or about the actual talent they inked? Both aspects are very important. Just the idea that the buscones are very happy, makes me happy.

OnBaseMachine
08-17-2008, 04:01 PM
Is it just me or were these two signings more about the splash they made in Latin America or about the actual talent they inked? Both aspects are very important. Just the idea that the buscones are very happy, makes me happy.

Both. Yorman and Duran are probably the top two position prospects in the whole International field this season. There were scouts in the Dominican who said Duran was the best hitting prospect they have seen down there, including Vlad.

OnBaseMachine
09-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Baseball America reported today that Yorman Rodriguez signed for $2.5 million, not the $2.75 million that was originally reported. They listed the top 10 all-time international signing bonuses not including Cubans: Yorman Rodriguez was third with $2.5 million and Juan Duran was 9th with $2 million.

nemesis
09-25-2008, 02:52 PM
So who are the top Latin American players we go after next year?

OnBaseMachine
09-25-2008, 03:00 PM
So who are the top Latin American players we go after next year?

It's way too early to tell. It will probably be January or February before we start hearing who the top prospects for the 2009 International class will be.

OnBaseMachine
10-03-2008, 03:18 PM
I'd like to see the Reds go after this kid.

Dominican Mateo Becomes Free Agent

Posted Oct. 3, 2008 9:31 am by Ben Badler

When the international signing period began on July 2, the Giants announced the signing of Dominican righthander Luis Mateo with a formal press release. The bonus was $625,000, which ranked as one of the top 20 bonuses of this year’s international signing period.

However, the Giants had the contract voided in August once they found bone chips in his elbow, according to Mateo’s agent, Greg Maroni of California Sports Management. Mateo was evaluated in September by Dr. Lewis Yocum, who saw no need for surgery in Mateo’s elbow or shoulder and felt that aggressive rehab would be the preferred course of action, according to Maroni. The Giants did not respond to several calls in the past week seeking comment. Major League Baseball declined to comment on the issue.

Mateo is a projectable 6-foot-3, 175-pound righthander with good arm speed. He has worked out with several teams since becoming a free agent again.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/