PDA

View Full Version : Harang's not hurt, but his mechanics are...

Team Clark
08-17-2008, 04:43 PM
There is no injury. Not yet anyway. I watched Harang throw last night and I knew exactly what was going on. What baffles me is that I was at a restaurant watching and I know what is wrong but his pitching coach, bullpen coach and oddly enough he himself have no idea. (Tom Glavine has always said YOU should be your own best pitching coach) The reason I know they don't have a clue is because the fix for what is wrong is so simple that it is really a matter of a bullpen session to fix the problem. (Not to mention I keep hearing they can't figure out what the problem is)

Harang is a "down the slope" pitcher. Meaning he walks his way down the mound through his delivery. Every pitcher comes to the same balance point and separation. Just like hitting. Your stance may be different but everyone gets to the same point of balance. Harang has always been deliberate and methodical up and until the point of planting your front foot and throwing your hips. Very effective, especially if you have a good breaking ball. Which Harang does. I saw Majewski go through this same thing when he came over from the Nats. They have a similar release. Not necessarily the same mechanics but similar releases. Maj has NEVER regained his mechanics to date. His arm still drags and he is NEVER on top of his pitches. Granted he was hurt when he got here but it was his mechanics that were the problem to begin with.

So, I am sitting there watching Harang stand straight up throughout his delivery and stay tall during his release. All the while I hear Welsh say "he's looking good". Welsh, who should know better is a real homer just like Grande. I actually laughed out loud. I said to my wife and the guy sitting next to us at P.F. Chang's "All of his pitches are up, his fastball is straight and he is about to get hammered ". Ludwick swung through a ball in the first that he may never miss again in his career. He struck out and gave a false sense of security to all who were watching. He got away with some dangerous high pitches in the first but not so in the second. He certainly didn't "look" good. He got very lucky but anybody that really knows mechanics knew what was going to happen.

His mechanics are so far off that he virtually has no chance of delivering a low strike without a stroke of luck. His body is simply not in a position to get there. I noticed his breaking ball was out of control and his slider was hanging big time. The slider that not only hung but came out out of his hand wild to Molina was very telling. That slider was not intended to be inside. Molina ripped that baby and probably thanked Aaron on the way to first. Before that was the horrible straight fastball that Glaus just absolutely ripped to left. He hit it so hard it barely roatated. Dickerson didn't catch it and I can't blame him. Not a lot of guys sting the ball that way in AAA.

Oddly enough he was able to strike out Piniero twice enabling him to keep 2 bad innings from really getting out of hand. He was so hittable that I saw guys basically coming out of their shoes to take a rip.

What's worse is the injury he suffered is a result of his mechanics being off. Not the other way around. Your brain will find a way to deliver the baseball to the area you want to throw it no matter how fouled up you may be. There is just no guarantee it will be a strike. The more stress you put on a body part in a bad mechanics scenario the greater risk of injury. The forearm really comes into play in Harang's slider and curve. You extend the forearm muscles a bit more with stress on those breaking pitches. If you recall early in the season he went to those pitches a lot when he couldn't locate his fastball. (Due to his mechanics) Not long after, his forearm locked up.

What amazes me even more is that Harang had impeccable mechanics in San Diego during his relief stint. He knew he wasn't going out there trying to throw at 100%. Amazing what happens when you take some pressure off of yourself, slow your mechanics down and just throw. His next start wasn't all that bad but he fell off the wagon soon after.

I honestly do not know why Pole or Harang have not figured it out. I have seen Harang pitch roughly 40 times. Maybe 15 in person. He has ALWAYS had very solid, compact mechanics, great explosion and a nice outstretched release. He's at least 12-18 inches shorter on his stride and stands straight up during his release. This is something you see High School kids do at a camp. These types of mechanics will cause your fastball to be up. Belt to shoulder high. Your change to stay right at belt level, your curve to be short. (58-59) feet. (Like the one he bounced through Hanigan's wicket). Your slider never really gets out of your hand. It's just a spinner or if you can get "around" the ball it will be well out of the zone. So simple to fix but when you don't have the eyes to see it.....

If he stays on this bad track I expect his shoulder will start to hurt soon. His forearm will probably lock up again before that happens. In any event if it's not fixed he could be shelved for months.

Team Clark
08-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Just saw this little tid bit from Dusty:
"He's throwing the ball well but it's just not moving. Right now it's a matter of command and it's all about location and movement," manager Dusty Baker said.

Dusty. Seriously. Stop talking. If it's a "matter of command and it's all about location and movement", none of which Harang has right now then how can he be "throwing the ball well"? Now I see why the Dusty haters go after him.

Mario-Rijo
08-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Yeah he's not been following through for quite a long time, he's way out of wack. I noticed he wasn't bending like he used or basically standing straight up. Why I don't know but I thought maybe his back or legs were injured or something, because he isn't using them much.

Whatever the reason it needs fixed before it destroys him and his career.

WVRedsFan
08-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the analysis, TCII. I don't know enough about pitching mechanics to have an informed opinion, but this makes sense. I taped part of the game last night because I missed the first two innings. I just watched it and I can see what you mean. The puzzling part of this whole thing is that the pitching coach is so clueless that he can't see this. All the more reason to jettison the entire coaching staff with the exception of maybe Billy Hatcher, but that's another story.

Of course, as long as Dusty's here none of that is likely to happen.

OldXOhio
08-17-2008, 05:07 PM
"He's throwing the ball well but it's just not moving. Right now it's a matter of command and it's all about location and movement," manager Dusty Baker said.

Did someone forget to inform Dusty that Harang's fastball was also only hitting mid to high 80s much of the night?

Team Clark
08-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Did someone forget to inform Dusty that Harang's fastball was also only hitting mid to high 80s much of the night?

I am beginning to wonder if he watches the same game the rest of us do?

RedsManRick
08-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the insight TC.

Team Clark
08-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the insight TC.

No problem. In a way I wish I never had to make this type of post. Certainly no reason that Harang can't be fixed.

Funny thing is I saw some similar deficiencies in Volquez. Only when throwing his Changeup. He was really trying to force it down. He was getting hammered when he threw the change. Seems like a good dose of "Soto" got that straightened out.

GAC
08-17-2008, 05:35 PM
I've been saying that - about his mechanics - for most of the year now. And I'm no pitching coach! ;)

I personally believe that the early season losing messed with him somewhat psychologically, and he put added pressure on himself to try to make corrections.

And he's not hurt now; but he could end up hurting himself.

Thank God we got Dusty and Dick to look over him. ;)

BCubb2003
08-17-2008, 05:48 PM
So can you boil it down to something the fans can chant from the stands? It might be the only way to get the message through.

Team Clark
08-17-2008, 05:54 PM
So can you boil it down to something the fans can chant from the stands? It might be the only way to get the message through.

"THROW DOWN HILL", "THROW DOWN HILL"........ That would be a good start! :D

Team Clark
08-17-2008, 05:56 PM
I've been saying that - abut his mechanics - for most of the year now. And I'm no pitching coach! ;)

I personally believe that the early season losing mesed with him somewhat psychologically, and he put added pressure on himself to try to make corrections.

It's amazing isn't it? Personally I think Pole does a pretty good job overall and NO COACH catches every mistake. Having said that, how do you miss something that has been going on all year?

GAC
08-17-2008, 06:22 PM
It's amazing isn't it? Personally I think Pole does a pretty good job overall and NO COACH catches every mistake. Having said that, how do you miss something that has been going on all year?

Because personally I have no faith in Dick Pole (and Dusty) in this area.

remdog
08-18-2008, 02:01 AM
This an excellent post by Team Clark and it's a great illustration of why observation is so important. These are things that need to be noted and, before I get pummeled as a 'stats basher', let me say that, while the numbers show what the results were they don't show what the cause was.

Team Clark used his observation and experience to lay out a reasonable explaination as to why Harang is being lit up like he is. For Dusty to say that it's "a matter of command and it's all about location and movement," begs the question of why that isn't happening. There is a physical explaination somewhere. It's either injury, improper mechanics or a decline in the players' ability.

Rem

Big Klu
08-18-2008, 01:57 PM
All the more reason to jettison the entire coaching staff with the exception of maybe Billy Hatcher, but that's another story.

I agree. I have little confidence in Dick Pole or Brook Jacoby, and I thought Mark Berry should have been fired along with Jerry Narron and Bucky Dent (or at least he shouldn't have been retained when Dusty Baker named his new staff). I would like to see Leo Mazzone (or Mario Soto) as the pitching coach.

I am OK with Chris Speier--he seems pretty knowledgeable, and he is a decent infield coach. (At least, he was a good infielder as a player, so I'm guessing he is a good infield instructor.) But he is Dusty's man--if and when the time comes that Dusty goes, Speier will likely go with him.

I would tend to keep Juan Lopez at the bullpen coach, mainly because the performance of the bullpen has exceeded expectations. I don't know how much that actually has to do with Lopez, though.

I think Billy Hatcher is a future managerial candidate, and he is good influence on some of the young players. I was at the game yesterday, and Hatcher and Eric Davis were holding court at the far end of the dugout (the opposite end from where Dusty and Speier sit). In particular, I noticed Chris Dickerson and Brandon Phillips spending a lot of time around Davis. I would like to see Davis on the staff in some capacity--possibly as the new first base coach (with Hatcher taking over as the third base coach), or maybe as the hitting coach. Someone else who I have always thought would make a great hitting coach is Kevin Mitchell, though I don't know if either he or the Reds would have any interest.

Kc61
08-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Interesting. Let me understand.

Pitcher remains upright and is essentially throwing with the arm and shoulder.

Pitcher should be bending at the knee and using his legs and body to generate momentum. Also makes it easier to get pitches down. (Tom Seaver used to preach the necessity of pitching that way.)

Is that the basic point?

Spring~Fields
08-18-2008, 02:17 PM
I've been saying that - about his mechanics - for most of the year now. And I'm no pitching coach! ;)

I personally believe that the early season losing messed with him somewhat psychologically, and he put added pressure on himself to try to make corrections.

Are you suggesting that the lack of run support that brought on the losses might have added more pressure for Harang to try to over compensate? Anyone try to change his mechanics early on to tweak him, maybe that is why they haven't seen the change and made the change back?

Team Clark
08-18-2008, 02:21 PM

Pitcher should be bending at the knee and using his legs and body to generate momentum. Also makes it easier to get pitches down. (Tom Seaver used to preach the necessity of pitching that way.)

Is that the basic point?

That's the basic jist. Instead of landing front foot soft, with a decent sized stride, enabling your body to sit down into the "drive" part of the mechanics, Harang is standing up with barely any bend while trying to deliver the baseball. You can see him try to "hunch" over to make this happen but his legs are in no position to let that happen without him falling on his face.

The torso and arms are all out of whack and can not coordinate precisely for him to have a consistent repeatable delivery. If your mechanics are this contorted you start to lose velocity 4-5 mph at any point in time. What's worse is, the longer you throw like this the harder it is to regain that original arm strength.

George Anderson
08-18-2008, 02:26 PM
That's the basic jist. Instead of landing front foot soft, with a decent sized stride, enabling your body to sit down into the "drive" part of the mechanics, Harang is standing up with barely any bend while trying to deliver the baseball. You can see him try to "hunch" over to make this happen but his legs are in no position to let that happen without him falling on his face.

The torso and arms are all out of whack and can not coordinate precisely for him to have a consistent repeatable delivery. If your mechanics are this contorted you start to lose velocity 4-5 mph at any point in time. What's worse is, the longer you throw like this the harder it is to regain that original arm strength.

By not bending over when delivering the pitch are you not also improving your chances for an arm injury?

Big Klu
08-18-2008, 02:34 PM

Is that the basic point?

Yes. The largest and strongest muscles in your body are the ones in your lower torso and upper leg/thigh--the gluteus maximus, the quadriceps, and the hamstrings. They are the ones that generate the most power. This is why "drop and drive" pitchers often appear to have big butts.

gm
08-18-2008, 03:02 PM

Forest...meet trees

(read my sig line)

RFS62
08-18-2008, 03:05 PM

Is that the basic point?

Kc61
08-18-2008, 03:43 PM
What a pitcher Seaver was.

Always Red
08-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Yes. The largest and strongest muscles in your body are the ones in your lower torso and upper leg/thigh--the gluteus maximus, the quadriceps, and the hamstrings. They are the ones that generate the most power. This is why "drop and drive" pitchers often appear to have big butts.

IIRC, Harang himself has said that he used to throw this way, taking a much larger step with his left foot, dropping and driving, and throwing much harder.

He experienced success as a pitcher when he began taking a smaller step, and not dropping as far. It took velocity off his FB, but improved his control tremendously. I think Dusty mentioned this earlier in the year as well- that he was a totally different pitcher than he guy he had seen pitching in Oakland.

Whatever it is, I am hoping he can get it back. Harang's lost movement and location on his FB, and he cannot locate his offspeed stuff at all. Harang's game is location- without it he gets hit hard, as we've seen.

My own hunch is that it is not something so very simple. Dick Pole might not be the best pitching coach ever, and he wouldn't be my choice to continue in the job he currently has, but the guy is not a complete moron.

Always Red
08-18-2008, 03:53 PM
What a pitcher Seaver was.

Even with as much power as he had, there was real art and thought put into his craft of pitching.

_Sir_Charles_
08-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Is there any way of getting this info to the Reds? Sometimes the most obvious things are the easiest overlooked. Does Matt700WLW have any way to get a message to Marty and then to Dusty? Something along those lines?

Az Red
08-18-2008, 04:01 PM
Is there any way of getting this info to the Reds? Sometimes the most obvious things are the easiest overlooked. Does Matt700WLW have any way to get a message to Marty and then to Dusty? Something along those lines?

My question as well.

TC, are you professionally limited in your consulting? I guess you could submit this anonymously.

Blitz Dorsey
08-18-2008, 04:34 PM
They should shut Harang down for the rest of the season. Please explain to me one good reason to pitch Harang the rest of the year. Shut him down, get him ready for next year when hopefully the real Aaron Harang will return. If he does, we have a pretty good 1-2 punch at the top of the rotation with Volquez/Harang. Then not a terrible 3-5 with Cueto, Arroyo, Owings, although I think the Reds should go after a good SP in free agency or trade for one this offseason. Reds should pretend like they need 6 guys in the rotation (the 5 I mentioned above and whoever they land this offseason) and hope 5 of them pan out. If all six pan out, that's a problem you want to have. Too often teams build their pitching staffs in the offseason not planning for injuries. Need to shoot for 6 reliable starters entering spring training, maybe even 7.

Chip R
08-18-2008, 04:38 PM
They should shut Harang down for the rest of the season. Please explain to me one good reason to pitch Harang the rest of the year. Shut him down, get him ready for next year when hopefully the real Aaron Harang will return. If he does, we have a pretty good 1-2 punch at the top of the rotation with Volquez/Harang. Then not a terrible 3-5 with Cueto, Arroyo, Owings, although I think the Reds should go after a good SP in free agency or trade for one this offseason. Reds should pretend like they need 6 guys in the rotation (the 5 I mentioned above and whoever they land this offseason) and hope 5 of them pan out. If all six pan out, that's a problem you want to have. Too often teams build their pitching staffs in the offseason not planning for injuries. Need to shoot for 6 reliable starters entering spring training, maybe even 7.

I think it would be a good idea come September 1.

Always Red
08-18-2008, 04:39 PM
They should shut Harang down for the rest of the season. Please explain to me one good reason to pitch Harang the rest of the year.

If he's hurt, shut him down.

If he's not hurt, there is no reason for him not to pitch. If he has lost his "feel," his mechanics, and his release point, only pitching will bring that back to him.

But if he is hurt, or if there is a question- yes, shut him down. As I understand it, the MRI was negative.

Kc61
08-18-2008, 04:42 PM
They should shut Harang down for the rest of the season. Please explain to me one good reason to pitch Harang the rest of the year. Shut him down, get him ready for next year when hopefully the real Aaron Harang will return. .

Here's the reason. He may not get better sitting around. It may be better for Harang to work on his pitching mechanics and improve his arm strength.

Shutting somebody down doesn't automatically cause them to improve.

Harang had an MRI. He isn't hurt. He should watch film, work with the coaches, and try to regain his pitching form. Including some in-game activity.

Chip R
08-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Here's the reason. He may not get better sitting around. It may be better for Harang to work on his pitching mechanics and improve his arm strength.

Good point. However the guy has logged a lot of innings over the past 3-4 years. Give him a couple of starts in August, one in Sept then put him on the shelf and let someone like Homer get the crap beat out of him.

corkedbat
08-18-2008, 06:26 PM
Thanks TC. I was at the game Saturday night. Now I will be the first to admit that I know little-to-nothing about pitching mechanics, but even I noticed that there was something wrong with his stride from having seen him in the past.

gm
08-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Even with as much power as he had, there was real art and thought put into his craft of pitching.

I remember reading a book about the Met's '69 season. There was a quote from their pitching coach about how they trained their young starters (Seaver, Ryan, Gentry, etc) to "push off the rubber with their butts up and deliver the ball to the plate in one continuous motion"

Seaver would always drag his knee in the dirt

Pitching downhill, indeed

Team Clark
08-18-2008, 07:59 PM
By not bending over when delivering the pitch are you not also improving your chances for an arm injury?

Dramatically

Harang in recent years does not drive down quite as far as Seaver did. He walks his way down so to speak. Easier to show you than explain. Kind of like a nice step down then sit and drive toward the catcher. He's not even getting to the point where he can sit since he shortened his stride so much.

My own hunch is that it is not something so very simple. Dick Pole might not be the best pitching coach ever, and he wouldn't be my choice to continue in the job he currently has, but the guy is not a complete moron.

I hear ya. However, it really is and can be that simple. Sometimes when you watch a guy pitch (or hit) so much you start blending their mechanics together. I doubt that Harang is so bull headed that he's not listening.

Ego's are HUGE in baseball. Nobody wants to be told a thing from someone on the outside.

My question as well.

TC, are you professionally limited in your consulting? I guess you could submit this anonymously.

I already have and I got $100 says it doesn't get passed on. Just how MOST people are in baseball. I passed along some words about Jason Standridge to Tom Hume a few years ago and you would have thought I told him I stole his car. Tom is a good friend and has the tiniest ego of any person I know. When it comes to baseball and pride nothing gets in the way. So the players suffer.:thumbdown

Team Clark
08-18-2008, 08:02 PM

Harang had an MRI. He isn't hurt. He should watch film, work with the coaches, and try to regain his pitching form. Including some in-game activity.

I agree 100%. I may even go so far as to pull him from the rotation. I would consult with him and really try to come up with a plan that HE BELIEVES in and go from there. As long as he is messed up he needs to limit his pitches to lessen the chance of injury.

GAC
08-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Good point. However the guy has logged a lot of innings over the past 3-4 years. Give him a couple of starts in August, one in Sept then put him on the shelf and let someone like Homer get the crap beat out of him.

Homer will be back in September, and I really don't think that is going to be a wise decision either.

We're going to keep throwing this kid to the lions, screw him up worse then he is, and possibly do something that could be irrevocable?

I'd rather they throw Fogg and Belisle out there. Anyone that you're not pinning your future hopes on.

The difference I see between Harang and Homer is that Harang is a veteran trying to regain something he formerly possessed. He's been there. Homer is still working to try and get to that stage. Completely different points of reference.

Mario-Rijo
08-19-2008, 02:38 AM
The more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion that something is wrong physically that Harang isn't saying anything about. Look Harang is one of the most disciplined and intelligent guys we have had in recent memory. The guy has succesfully tweaked himself every year in some way to improve. That guy more than anyone can look at himself pitch and see what he is doing is extremely out of whack. My guess is he has hurt his legs or back at some point this season because I don't recall him pitching that way early on.

Aaron quit trying to be a tough guy for a team that has no chance competing the rest of this season anyway.

gm
08-19-2008, 07:08 PM
I agree 100%. I may even go so far as to pull him from the rotation. I would consult with him and really try to come up with a plan that HE BELIEVES in and go from there.

Sounds like Team Clark needs to make a side trip to San Diego this winter...maybe if you could get Harang one-on-one for a few minutes and show him some before/after "mechanics" video on your iPhone he'd see the light?

Chip R
08-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Homer will be back in September, and I really don't think that is going to be a wise decision either.

We're going to keep throwing this kid to the lions, screw him up worse then he is, and possibly do something that could be irrevocable?

I'm not sure he can be any worse than he is now. You know why you keep pitching Homer? Because he might learn something. He may find a way to get out Pujols or Berkman or Bill Hall. Something may click and he can live up to his potential. He may get thrown to the lions but he's either going to have to learn how to beat the lions or be lion food.

OnBaseMachine
08-19-2008, 07:55 PM
Harang's next start has been pushed back a day due to neck spasms according to the Reds pregame show.

Team Clark
08-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Sounds like Team Clark needs to make a side trip to San Diego this winter...maybe if you could get Harang one-on-one for a few minutes and show him some before/after "mechanics" video on your iPhone he'd see the light?

I've done these type of trips before. Hopefully someone in the organization will catch it before it gets worse.

GAC
08-19-2008, 09:13 PM
I'm not sure he can be any worse than he is now. You know why you keep pitching Homer? Because he might learn something. He may find a way to get out Pujols or Berkman or Bill Hall.

That's always possible; but the way you get those guys out is by first mastering your secondary pitches. If he can't do that in the minors, then why do we think he will somehow do it at the ML level?

RedsManRick
08-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Harang doesn't look any better tonight. Still looks like he's coming in high.

Big Klu
08-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Harang doesn't look any better tonight. Still looks like he's coming in high.

No, this guy came in high.

http://www.sirbacon.org/4membersonly/dockellis.jpg

Team Clark
08-23-2008, 12:15 AM
I saw enough tonight that I can see his is trying to make some adjustments. I did see him finishing his breaking ball but I did notice that he wasn't finishing his fastball. Still up, but luckily not down the middle.His velocity looked better. At least his arm strength exercises are working. He's closer to getting it back but he still looks lost. I did notice he lengthened his stride which is helping.

Mario-Rijo
08-23-2008, 01:23 AM
I saw enough tonight that I can see his is trying to make some adjustments. I did see him finishing his breaking ball but I did notice that he wasn't finishing his fastball. Still up, but luckily not down the middle.His velocity looked better. At least his arm strength exercises are working. He's closer to getting it back but he still looks lost. I did notice he lengthened his stride which is helping.

Agreed, he is on track it appeared just not quite there yet. Hopefully he is aces next start as he is/should be.

RedsManRick
08-29-2008, 08:40 AM
I didn't watch his start last night. Anybody have the updated scouting report?

Team Clark
08-29-2008, 08:42 AM
I didn't watch his start last night. Anybody have the updated scouting report?

I missed it. I will try to get it off MLB and watch.

paulrichjr
08-29-2008, 02:28 PM
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080829/SPT04/808290417/1071

HOUSTON - Here's a good sign for 2009: Aaron Harang has put together back-to-back quality starts for the first time since April 30 and May 6.

Harang went seven innings Thursday, allowing three runs on seven hits, walking no one and striking out nine. He took the loss to go to 4-14, as the Reds fell to the Houston Astros 3-2, but for the most part he was very good.

"I was putting the ball right where I wanted it," he said.

His problem was a couple of mistake pitches. All three runs came on solo home runs.

Ty Wigginton hit one in the first and another in the sixth.

"Those were mistake pitches after I got behind," Harang said.

Humberto Quintero hit the other homer, in the fifth.

Harang has allowed three runs on 13 hits over 13 innings in his last two starts. In the two before that: 16 runs on 16 hits over 71/3 innings.

He found a mechanical flaw after the second of those starts. That's made a huge difference. "I'm staying back on the rubber longer and giving my hands time to go through the motion," he said.

RedsManRick
08-29-2008, 02:33 PM
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080829/SPT04/808290417/1071

HOUSTON - Here's a good sign for 2009: Aaron Harang has put together back-to-back quality starts for the first time since April 30 and May 6.

Harang went seven innings Thursday, allowing three runs on seven hits, walking no one and striking out nine. He took the loss to go to 4-14, as the Reds fell to the Houston Astros 3-2, but for the most part he was very good.

"I was putting the ball right where I wanted it," he said.

His problem was a couple of mistake pitches. All three runs came on solo home runs.

Ty Wigginton hit one in the first and another in the sixth.

"Those were mistake pitches after I got behind," Harang said.

Humberto Quintero hit the other homer, in the fifth.

Harang has allowed three runs on 13 hits over 13 innings in his last two starts. In the two before that: 16 runs on 16 hits over 71/3 innings.

He found a mechanical flaw after the second of those starts. That's made a huge difference. "I'm staying back on the rubber longer and giving my hands time to go through the motion," he said.

Thanks Paul. I wonder how, or rather who, found the flaw...