PDA

View Full Version : Dusty excited for next season

OnBaseMachine
08-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Volquez won his 15th, holding the Cardinals to no runs and three hits over seven innings.

OK, what puts the starch in Baker's attitude right now?

"I believe all this, I really do," he said. "We're going to have the natural evolution of young men to men.

"Volquez should do much the same, Johnny Cueto is going to get better, Homer Bailey could be here to be better and we could make a couple of off-season pitching acquisitions.

"Jay Bruce talks to Albert Pujols and Lance Berkman about hitting," Baker added. "He's very inquisitive and Berkman told him he'll take control and be comfortable in a year. Joey Votto is going to be better. We have young guys like Chris Dickerson and hopefully we re-sign Jerry Hairston Jr. and we hope he stays healthy.

"There are some area we want to improve and we have some veterans to help us improve," Baker added. "We'll have more stability on the bench. Brandon Phillips is going to get better and our players will be more comfortable in the big leagues and feeling they belong."

Baker was just warming up, really getting into what he believes about this team, the only sixth-place team in the majors.

"We'll have more speed, better defense and we had a number of things that turned into distractions," he said. "We won't have nearly as many guys wondering who is going to be traded (like Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn). Our bullpen should be more stable.

"Young Bill Bray should be stronger next year and you have to think Francisco Cordero (who gave up two runs in the ninth Sunday) will be better, Bronson Arroyo will be better. And you can't tell me that Aaron Harang is going to repeat this year (3-13). That's impossible. Harang will be Harang."

And that's Dusty Baker being Dusty Baker and he said with emphasis, "That's what I believe."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2008/08/17/ddn081808spredsweb.html

Degenerate39
08-17-2008, 09:02 PM
A quote that was left out of the article:

"My main dude Corey Patterson will be back too. There's no way the dude will bat in the .200's again. Dude's got too much talent. I can't wait to see this dude take more playing time from the younger guys. This dude's the future forget everyone else. They should play him twice what he's making now since his average will be twice as high."

RedsManRick
08-17-2008, 09:08 PM
Thank God we'll have more speed. That's exactly what this club is missing. If only we could get rid of some more of those pesky rally killing homers and base clogging walks we'd be all set.

jesusfan
08-17-2008, 09:13 PM
I hear the same song every year.... I'm not going to believe it until I see it this time. Since 2000 it's been a broken record, "just wait for next year"... well, I'm tired of waiting for next year!

remdog
08-17-2008, 09:56 PM
At first glance I read this headline as 'Dusty exited for next season and there was momentary joy.

Rem

LINEDRIVER
08-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Dusty is excited about next season? I'm kinda excited about the season after that...2010.

That will be the last year with Dusty at the wheel. He's even worse than I was expecting.

If this was August 17, 2010, and the Reds had dropped 17 of the last 22, Baker would likely be fired with Jocketty telling Reds' fans, "We have decided to go in another direction."

Razor Shines
08-17-2008, 10:44 PM
We have young guys like Chris Dickerson and hopefully we re-sign Jerry Hairston Jr. and we hope he stays healthy.

I just died a little inside. I thought we were rebuilding, why bring Hairston back? Hell, I'd rather see Stubbs get his ABs.

harangatang
08-18-2008, 12:44 AM
I just died a little inside. I thought we were rebuilding, why bring Hairston back? Hell, I'd rather see Stubbs get his ABs.Indubitably.

OldXOhio
08-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Dusty says everything will get better. Cordero will be better. Arroyo will be better. Harang will be better. Homer will be better. The bullpen will be better. He has no idea how or why any of these will occur, but he believes it will be. Naturally, it's just got to happen. Kind of like his lineup construction.

I'm on the next flight to Vegas with second mortgage in tow to put everything on the 2009 Reds.

flyer85
08-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Reds need to remove the "c" from the thread title.

princeton
08-18-2008, 08:52 AM
July 2009: "I'm trying my best, but this is Walt Jocketty's team, not my team."

osuceltic
08-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Thank God we'll have more speed. That's exactly what this club is missing. If only we could get rid of some more of those pesky rally killing homers and base clogging walks we'd be all set.
Yep. Speed sucks. Who needs to stretch singles into doubles or doubles into triples? Who needs to score from first on a double? Who needs to score from third on a shallow sacrifice fly? And for crying out loud, who needs to chase down balls in the gaps and down the lines? Extra bases on offense, more outs on defense ... who needs it?

lollipopcurve
08-18-2008, 09:24 AM

Exactly. I suppose the guy's earning too much dough not to get a 2nd chance from ownership. But I can't imagine he'd be allowed to say anything like that again without suffering the loss of his job. Leadership required.

BCubb2003
08-18-2008, 09:37 AM

I think the most recent quotes were spin intended to counter that.

Matt700wlw
08-18-2008, 09:59 AM

The scary part is, his guys are two of the worst hitters in the game (one may be the worst), and an injury prone utility player who can't stay healthy.

Let's have more of them!!

Ltlabner
08-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Speed and Defense Baby!

Yawn.

durl
08-18-2008, 10:13 AM

Dusty's whole "It's Krivsky's team..." comment really upset me. He passed the buck and refused to take any responsibility for this team. It may very well be "Krivsky's team" but Dusty also has a responsibility to make it work to it's highest potential...and several analysts thought the Reds would be the surprise team this year.

I typically don't give the manager tons of blame or credit for a team's performance but Dusty went down a notch with his "it's not my fault" comment. Besides, most people knew it was "Dusty's team" when they kept hearing "Leading off...Corey Patterson..." for FAR too long this season.

wheels
08-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Too many times I've see or heard Hairston's name when next year's plan is discussed. Not just by Baker, but Jocketty as well.

Do they really think he's the answer to any of the club's positional concerns?

Are they THAT stupid?

....Oh, wait.

redsmetz
08-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Too many times I've see or heard Hairston's name when next year's plan is discussed. Not just by Baker, but Jocketty as well.

Do they really think he's the answer to any of the club's positional concerns?

Are they THAT stupid?

....Oh, wait.

I don't read a comment like that as meaning Hairston will necessarily be a starter, but someone like Jerry Hairston is a good player to have on your roster to fill in. Yes, I know we've got three guys like that this year, but you still need bench players, particularly versatile ones when you carrier an extra pitcher. I have no problem with Jerry Hairston being back in some role off the bench.

redsmetz
08-18-2008, 12:39 PM
The scary part is, his guys are two of the worst hitters in the game (one may be the worst), and an injury prone utility player who can't stay healthy.

Let's have more of them!!

So, Matt, I'm always curious, but when you run into Dusty, do you pretend like you like him?

Matt700wlw
08-18-2008, 12:44 PM
I've never met Dusty....

I'm sure he's a great guy, I've never heard that he isn't, but I haven't been impressed with him as a manager. Not to say things can't be different next season....

Big difference in questioning some of his moves as a manager and liking or disliking him as a person.

Ltlabner
08-18-2008, 12:51 PM
I've never met Dusty....

I'm sure he's a great guy, I've never heard that he isn't, but I haven't been impressed with him as a manager. Not to say things can't be different next season....

Big difference in questioning some of his moves as a manager and liking or disliking him as a person.

Actually, for all of the intense dislike of him as a manager, I'd REALLY like to drink a beer (or in my case, diet Pepsi) with him. He had a nice carear, has spent time with many of the baseball greats (Hank Arron, I hear) and has been around the game his entire life. Prob a great guy to hang out with.

Dusty as a manager drives me batty. But Dusty the man, wouldn't mind hearing his stories and hanging out with him one bit.

Chip R
08-18-2008, 01:49 PM
I don't read a comment like that as meaning Hairston will necessarily be a starter, but someone like Jerry Hairston is a good player to have on your roster to fill in. Yes, I know we've got three guys like that this year, but you still need bench players, particularly versatile ones when you carrier an extra pitcher. I have no problem with Jerry Hairston being back in some role off the bench.

Hariston is fine as a bench player and a fill in. But the thing people tout about him is the Reds W/L record with him in the lineup. You would think that if he had been the starting SS from Opening Day, the Reds would have clinched the division by now. But you can't have him, Freel, Keppinger, Hopper, Cabrera and Phillips all on the 25 man roster. Pick a couple and keep the rest in AAA or trade them.

Matt700wlw
08-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Plus, if he's a bench/fill-in guy...there's less chances for him to get injured.

When he's healthy, he helps the team...but with him being a starting player, the liklihood of his health decreases. Unfortunately, that's the career norm for him

Chip R
08-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Plus, if he's a bench/fill-in guy...there's less chances for him to get injured.

When he's healthy, he helps the team...but with him being a starting player, the liklihood of his health decreases. Unfortunately, that's the career norm for him

Are you talking about Hariston or Freel? ;)

Spring~Fields
08-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Dusty Baker and he said with emphasis, "That's what I believe."

Where is Paul Harvey when you need him with the “The Rest of the Story”

"There are some area we want to improve and we have some veterans to help us improve," Baker added. "We'll have more stability on the bench.

Just some? Just some areas “we want to improve” ?

Who are these reliable/stable veterans that will help the Reds improve that Baker speaks of, Freel, Hairston, Gonzalez, Bako, Patterson?

The Reds have already test driven these players

Ryan Freel .272 .357 .376 .733
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/news?playerId=4629

Jerry Hairston Jr. .259 .329 .366 .695
2008 Career Season .338 .388 .475 .863
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/news?playerId=3966
March 03, 2008 Signed to a minor league contract
January 05, 2007 Signed to a minor league contract

Corey Patterson .254 .293 .409 .702
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/news?playerId=4239
March 03, 2008 Signed to a minor league contract

Alex Gonzalez .248 .295 .399 .694
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/news?playerId=3916

Paul Bako .231 .304 .318 .622
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/news?playerId=3829
February 01, 2008 Signed to a minor league contract

Hairston, Patterson, and Bako signed late to minor league contracts, apparently the rest of major league baseball does not share in the managers belief regarding them as being reliable veterans that can add stability and help improve the team. After the test drive the Reds and fans found that to be true also. Will Freel and Gonzalez even show up, and for how long? Will Hairston and Freel all of a sudden be able to stand the stress of playing professional sports?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/news?playerId=4629
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/news?playerId=3966
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/news?playerId=3916

Has Bako all of a sudden found a home after being tossed around from team to team for such a major part of his career?
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/news?playerId=3829
1998 Det, 1999 Hou, 2000 Atl 2000 Hou, 2000 Fla, 2001 Atl, 2002 Mil, 2003 ChC,
2004 ChC, 2005 LA, 2006 KC, 2007 Bal, 2008 Cin

Where’s Hairston going to play, shortstop, who is going to sit, Gonzalez Salary 2008: $4,625,000
? Centerfield, who is going to sit, Patterson Salary 2008: $3,000,000, Dickerson, Freel Salary 2008: $3,000,000? Is he going to take Keppinger and Freel’s place on the bench or be an addition to them? How’s Hairston going to help the defense in centerfield or shortstop?

Brandon Phillips is going to get better

Clean up batter Brandon Phillips is going to get better? .264 .309 .430 .739, cleanup hitter Brandon Phillips who gets most of his AB against right handed pitchers .250 .294 .392 .686 ?

13 position players, minus these five veterans Hairston, Patterson, Bako, Freel, Gonzalez
and Encarncion 3B, Phillips 2B, Votto 1B, Bruce OF, Dickerson OF, Keppinger and Hannigan bench,
leaves one spot for? How’s are these players going to improve the offense and defense if they are all that there is for 2009?

You say Patterson won’t be back? Where is Baker going to find a better backup defensive outfielder with “speed”? You say Bako won’t be back? Baker loves the way Bako works with Volquez and Cueto? Hannigan or Valentin?

Just some? Just some areas “we want to improve” ?

Is Chicago, St. Louis, Milwaukee and Houston going to give up on improving their teams and suddenly roll over and play dead? No.

I am sure glad that Walt Jocketty is the GM and not Baker and the fans.
I would like to think that Walt Jocketty has a lot better track record on who and what helps improve the team.

Matt700wlw
08-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Are you talking about Hariston or Freel? ;)

I guess both....:D

Roy Tucker
08-18-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm excited about next season because the losing is going to stop.

nate
08-18-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm excited about next season because the losing is going to stop.

That was this season.

Or was it last season?

I'm so confused!

Big Klu
08-18-2008, 03:06 PM
A quote that was left out of the article:

"My main dude Corey Patterson will be back too. There's no way the dude will bat in the .200's again. Dude's got too much talent. I can't wait to see this dude take more playing time from the younger guys. This dude's the future forget everyone else. They should play him twice what he's making now since his average will be twice as high."

If that's the case, then he will be worth it. A CF with a .394 batting average in the leadoff spot is quite a weapon. But I'm sure RedsZone would still complain about him--"Why isn't he hitting .400?!" or "He doesn't walk enough!" :D

oneupper
08-18-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm convinced that Ty Cobb's rotten corpse could outhit Corey Patterson.