PDA

View Full Version : Bengals Predictions for 2008

MWM
08-17-2008, 10:13 PM
How many games will the Bengals win this year?

MWM
08-17-2008, 10:17 PM
I think they're going to be atrocius this year. They're going to show continued signs of dysfunction and will look rudderless all year. The league has Bratkowski figured out, IMO, so I don't think the offense will at all be able to make up for the defensive shortcomings. Overall, I think they're going to look like a team in over their heads this year.

I wish I was more optimistic, but I just can't be. As long as MIke Brown is around, this is what we're going to see.

Hoosier Red
08-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Anything and everything went wrong last year. They won 7 games. I think the defensive backfield works a little better together(though they need a nickle back) and the offense scores enough points.

paintmered
08-17-2008, 11:01 PM
I think they'll show some flashes of brilliance, but ultimately break the hearts of die-hard Bengals fans.....again. The defense will give up way too many points because they can't get the quarterback and can't tackle. Despite having Carson, who is still one of the best quarterbacks in the game, and the best receiving duo in the league, the offense will struggle to overcome the defense.

I see another 7-9 season. Same ole', same ole'... Please prove me wrong, Bengals. Please prove everyone wrong.

BUTLER REDSFAN
08-17-2008, 11:29 PM
after tonight's dreck i say 6-10

CTA513
08-17-2008, 11:30 PM
0-16

macro
08-18-2008, 12:17 AM
I'm going to be somewhat optimistic for a change and go with 9-7, for the reason Hoosier gave above. They had a pitiful season last year and still won seven games.

The schedule would seem to be very tough this year, but that doesn't worry me as much as it does others. NFL schedules look much different in August than they do when you look back on them after the season is over. Last year's playoff team may be this year's 4-12 team, and vice versa.

cincrazy
08-18-2008, 01:58 AM
I'm thinking 7-9 yet again. I would like to be more optimistic, but after going to tonight's game, I can't help but think it will be more of the same. The offense is just completely out of synch, and while the D shouldn't be as bad, I still don't think it will be good.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Five.

SunDeck
08-18-2008, 12:20 PM
If the defense doesn't keep getting pushed around on the line, they won't win 7. Rivers may make a difference, but if you are relying on your linebackers to make huge numbers of tackles, then you are in bad shape.

dsmith421
08-18-2008, 02:17 PM
6-10.

Bratkowski's schemes are a joke, and Zimmer can only do so much with the dreck he's been given. This team won't be able to run the ball and won't be able to pressure the quarterback. If you can't do that, you can't win.

The movable pieces on the schedule won't help either--having to play the Colts, Jags, Titans, Cowboys, Giants, and Eagles is pretty brutal.

cincrazy
08-18-2008, 02:56 PM
If the defense doesn't keep getting pushed around on the line, they won't win 7. Rivers may make a difference, but if you are relying on your linebackers to make huge numbers of tackles, then you are in bad shape.

I thought the first string defense did a decent job defensively. The run defense was solid. We were just burnt in the secondary for the big play way too often, as has been the case for years now. I don't buy into the hype of Jonathan Joseph and Leon Hall. I watched Hall get burnt for four years by the likes of Ginn and Gonzo, so I have little faith in his ability to be a good NFL corner.

SunDeck
08-18-2008, 05:17 PM
I thought the first string defense did a decent job defensively. The run defense was solid.

I didn't have a chance to watch, so that'd be good news to me. It's all about whether the defensive line gets pushed backwards, in my opinion. They haven't improved on that, or the conditioning that allows a defense to stay strong late into the game in a long time.

cincrazy
08-19-2008, 12:49 AM
I didn't have a chance to watch, so that'd be good news to me. It's all about whether the defensive line gets pushed backwards, in my opinion. They haven't improved on that, or the conditioning that allows a defense to stay strong late into the game in a long time.

I'd agree with you for the most part. They do get pushed back way too often. As far as getting pressure on the QB is concerned, I thought they did a much better job against GB than they did against Detroit. Bottom line is they just don't have enough playmaker's on this defense. I can't even begin to count the number of interceptions they dropped.

I want to be overly optimistic.... but the last 16 or 17 years have given me reason to think otherwise :)

Degenerate39
08-19-2008, 01:17 AM
16-0

Redsfaithful
08-19-2008, 10:37 AM
I think some of you are way too worried about preseason games.

I believe in Mike Zimmer for some reason. He'll get the maximum possible out of the defense, and if the running game comes around I think the Bengals win the division and 10 or 11 games.

The entire AFC North pretty much has a brutal schedule this year though, so it wouldn't shock me if the winner only gets to 9 wins.

SunDeck
08-19-2008, 10:42 AM
16-0

Oh, I didn't know they switched to NCAA Div. II.

dsmith421
08-19-2008, 11:41 AM
The run defense was solid. We were just burnt in the secondary for the big play way too often, as has been the case for years now. I don't buy into the hype of Jonathan Joseph and Leon Hall.

The run defense was solid in large part because we were playing the Detroit Lions. They can't run on anyone.

I share your skepticism on Hall, he looks as out of his depth as anyone the Bengals have put out there since Ohalete. But the bottom line is we could have Night Train Lane and Deion Sanders and if the front seven doesn't get any pressure, we're still going to get picked apart.

John Thornton, for example, has to be one of the most worthless football players in the NFL. He may well be a great clubhouse guy--in that case, make him a coach. He gets penetration into the backfield 2-3 times a game--of course, the reason he's back there is that the offense is executing a screen pass into the zone he's just vacated. I literally have no idea why any team would pay this guy $4M a year given his production.

Hoosier Red
08-19-2008, 11:47 AM
To be fair Hall did have a pretty good nose for the ball last year. It's like his rookie season was the mirror opposite of Josephs.
Hall got beat a lot, but caught all of his interception opportunities.
Joseph didn't get beat much, but looked like he had Ping Pong paddles for hands in his rookie year.

I think if Calvin Johnson and any NFL corner go up for a ball, Calvin Johnson's probably going to come down with it.

Rob387
08-19-2008, 12:02 PM
I'll say 9-7. Hopefully the running back by commitee thing will keep the ball moving and open up big plays for Carson and the wr's

Playadlc
08-20-2008, 06:11 PM
6-10.

This team is bad. Unless Mike Zimmer can resurrect this defense, no playoffs again this year.

MWM
08-21-2008, 01:45 AM
To me it's about both lines, which are weak. You can't win without them.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-21-2008, 01:51 PM
I think the OLine is one of the best (talent and depth-wise) in the NFL.

The defensive line is an embarrassment and Marvin and Mike should be ashamed of themselves for reaching for WR's when they should have shored up the DLine.

Too many early busted draft picks for it not to catch up with a team that does little to nothing every year in free agency.

Burn it down. Start from the top. The re-signing of Chris Henry should be enough for the commish to look into finding a new competent owner for this lost franchise. Marvin is not head coach material. He needs to go back to being a coordinator in a good organization. He can't handle too much on his plate at one time and his game/clock management skills are poor to say the least.

Redsfaithful
08-22-2008, 01:16 PM
To me it's about both lines, which are weak. You can't win without them.

The offensive line has a ton of talent, if it can stay healthy, which was the problem last year.

Reds Freak
08-22-2008, 04:09 PM
6-10.

This team is bad. Unless Mike Zimmer can resurrect this defense, no playoffs again this year.

You know, as bad as the defense is, the thing that worries me most is the offense. The Bengals went 11-5 in 2005 with a pretty pathetic defense. Honestly, I feel this year's defense has just as much if not more talent than that year's defense, it's not saying much but it's good enough. The difference is in 2005 the offense was unstoppable. It seemed they could score at will and they kept that pathetic defense off the field. Since that year, however, it seems the offense struggles to simply move the chains consistently at times looking downright inept. Carson hasn't been on the same page with receivers, the running game hasn't been there, injuries have taken it's toll, and the play calling has been stale. This preseason hasn't looked much better and the injuries are a major concern on that side of the ball. If the offense can come close to the level of play they achieved in 2005, it will make the defense a lot better and give them a chance to win a lot more games...

Highlifeman21
08-22-2008, 07:21 PM
The offense is good enough to put us over .500, however the defense will bring us below .500.

7 wins is the most I see this club with in 2008.

camisadelgolf
08-23-2008, 02:25 AM
For all the people who have been freaking out about the Bengals' lack of offense in the pre-season (and I can't iterate that enough--it's the pre-season), keep in mind that they have been without their starting fullback/lead blocker, one of the best in the NFL, Jeremi Johnson.

cincrazy
08-23-2008, 12:33 PM
For all the people who have been freaking out about the Bengals' lack of offense in the pre-season (and I can't iterate that enough--it's the pre-season), keep in mind that they have been without their starting fullback/lead blocker, one of the best in the NFL, Jeremi Johnson.

It is just the preseason, but it would be one thing if the offense was coming off of a good year last year, which it is not. The chemistry just isn't there between Carson and the receiver's, and the only reason Jeremi isn't in camp is because he was lazy and decided to come in out of shape.

I think the offense will end up being ok.... but ok isn't going to cut it in this division unless you have a great defense, which we certainly do not.

Hoosier Red
08-23-2008, 12:58 PM

According to Chick, there's a decent chance he gets cut.
In any case to call him "one of the best" is a stretch.

Highlifeman21
08-23-2008, 06:11 PM
According to Chick, there's a decent chance he gets cut.
In any case to call him "one of the best" is a stretch.

IMO, Jeremi Johnson is one of the best FB in the league.

His Madden rating is consistently over 90, IIRC.

Hoosier Red
08-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Madden rating? That's how we judge people?

Redhook
08-24-2008, 12:27 AM
The Bengals were "lookin' tough" (Dazed and Confused) tonight. Wow. Just wow.

CTA513
08-24-2008, 01:03 AM
The Bengals were "lookin' tough" (Dazed and Confused) tonight. Wow. Just wow.

The O-Line should be embarrassed by the pounding that Palmer has taken this preseason.

Palmer had a bloody nose and lip after getting sacked late in the second quarter.

Highlifeman21
08-24-2008, 01:37 AM
Madden rating? That's how we judge people?

It can't be that far from the truth.

camisadelgolf
08-24-2008, 01:59 AM
Jeremi Johnson is a lead blocker. Relative to his role, he is a great fullback. If he were asked to be a different type of player (i.e. Mike Alstott-type), he wouldn't be all that great. There's a reason Jeremi Johnson signed a contract to be the highest-paid fullback in the NFL, and it's not solely based on Mike Brown being an idiot.

GAC
08-24-2008, 10:57 AM
I think they're going to be atrocius this year.

It's not a very friendly schedule.

And neither is the schedule my Brownies are facing. ;)

Joseph
08-24-2008, 11:21 AM
9-7

Reds4Life
08-24-2008, 12:12 PM
The O-Line should be embarrassed by the pounding that Palmer has taken this preseason.

Palmer had a bloody nose and lip after getting sacked late in the second quarter.

Yesterdays game was bad, he was getting the crud kicked out of him for the entire 1st half. He was rushing almost every pass, and really didn't have much time. I'm not sure how he got that face full of blood, it looked like Kasevaharn got him from the side, not the front. Maybe he caught a spike in the face or something. Either way, the O-line is terrible.

Screwball
08-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Either way, the O-line is terrible.

I'm not sure if you meant to say the O-Line played terrible, or if they are in fact actually terrible, because I agree with the former, not so much on the latter.

Last year this same unit set a franchise record in fewest sacks allowed with 17 (17!), despite playing teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore twice. Also, they were able to spring Kenny Watson for 4.3 ypc (Rudi J was individually awful, IMO). They're all behemoths of men, even for NFL players, and have athleticism to boot (just watch Whitworth pull and then blow someone up sometime, it's fun as hell). While these past two pre-season games haven't inspired much confidence, their performance in the regular season just last year does. I'm not too worried about the O-Line just yet.

The defense on the other hand...

MWM
08-24-2008, 05:12 PM
I hope everyone who believes the O-line is good is correct, because I just don't see it. I see them as a huge liability.

CTA513
08-24-2008, 05:12 PM
I was just reading Bengals.com and the one article is saying that Palmer broke/cracked a bone in his nose and had to get it fixed last night.

Hopefully the players on the O-Line seeing Palmer all bloody will get them to start playing how they can play and now how they have been playing.

guttle11
08-24-2008, 05:21 PM
If they were unstoppable right now everyone would talk about how it's just preseason and it really doesn't matter. Vanilla style of play and all of that.

Just sayin...

I see 9-7 with reasonable health. They have issues, plenty of issues, but outside of road games at Pittsburgh, Dallas, adn Indy. I think every other game is extremely winnable, especially the home schedule. I can see them going 6-2 at home without having to play that great of football. 3-5 on the road would get them 9-7.

They should beat Baltimore twice and split with Cleveland. If they can find a way to beat the Steelers at home, they can get over .500 IMO.

We'll know pretty quickly. I think a 3-1 start is highly doable, and would set a nice tone. 1-3 and they're cooked.

OSUredsFAN
08-24-2008, 09:28 PM
I voted 6 wins, but it might be less than that. I'm going into the year with low expectations, that way I wont be disappionted. Although after last night (I know its just preseason) but I may still be disappointed yet again.

OesterPoster
08-25-2008, 06:27 PM
I voted 6 wins, but it might be less than that. I'm going into the year with low expectations, that way I wont be disappionted. Although after last night (I know its just preseason) but I may still be disappointed yet again.

Same here. I went with 6, and I'll be fully shocked if they manage to win more than 8.

Mario-Rijo
08-29-2008, 02:44 AM
I have to be optimistic it just doesn't make any sense to me to be negative, just because you are concerned that they will make you pay for being optimistic.

There was quite a few issues with last years team and yet they come out with 7-9? R U serious, 7-9? With an O-Line that was constantly in a state of flux? Without their 2 top rb's for nearly all season, or banged up badly when they were? W/O that 3rd reliable receiving threat to keep defense from doubling and sometimes tripling down on your starters? Oh wait there was a good 3rd WR, he was also known as the the 3rd string/starting RB. With a completely decimated LB corps that saw guys getting a majority of snaps that frankly are not very good? Or the fact that at times all we had were 2 healthy LB's? How about using our best pass rushing D-Lineman to play LB, thus more or less weakening 2 spots?

Injuries, Injuries, Injuries oh my. I'll say this we couldn't get a much worse situation than we had last season unless we lost the 1 irreplaceable guy on the roster.
(<----Knocks on wood)

Yet we still won 7-9 out of nine games? Wow, ya know I hate when Lance Mcallister brings up that "Every NFL team has injuries". Sure they do but they don't often have a mash unit with a full staff set up outside the lockeroom. You lose both your starting offensive tackles alone for the majority of the season most teams don't sniff 7-9, but add to that fact that we also lost all of our roster LB's at one point or another. Sure we still do need a pass rush and I am skeptical that Odom when he gets healthy will provide such a boost that it fixes the issue alltogether or even a majority. But I think the pass rush will be better than last years and hopefully the RB's we keep will stay healthy.

I have to go with 10-6 although I suspect we won't be that great early on, on either side of the ball. After the 1st 6 games I see us @ 3-3 but just starting to jell, fortunately the easy part of the schedule is the beginning. It's tougher in the middle and doesn't let up much after that. However I think the defense improves a great deal after that run of NYG, Cleveland, Dallas, NYJ.

Here's the schedule for anyone who needs it: (Also my predictions)

Week 1 - @ Baltimore - W
Week 2 - vs. Tenn - W
Week 3 - @ NYG - L
Week 4 - vs. Cleveland - L
Week 5 - @ Dallas - L
Week 6 - @ NYJ - W
Week 7 - vs. Steelers - W
Week 8 - BYE
Week 9 - vs. Jaguars - L
Week 10 - @ Texans - W
Week 11 - vs. Eagles - W
Week 12 - @ Steelers - L
Week 13 - vs. Baltimore - W
Week 14 - @ Indianapolis - L
Week 15 - vs. Redskins - W
Week 16 - @ Cleveland - W
Week 17 - vs. K.C. - W

Of course this is assuming we don't have a massive rash of injuries like last season. But my gut says we will be ok.

bucksfan2
08-29-2008, 10:28 AM
I look at it this way. The bengals are better this year than last year. Just an opinion but they have looked awful in the preseason. Last season the Bengals lost these games which they very easily could have won. Cleveland, Seattle, Kansas City, Buffalo, Arizona, and San Fran. They could have won 6 more games last year than they did, and it really isn't a stretch to think a play or two plays in these games go a different way and the Bengals were a playoff team.

The Bengals have become a whipping boy of the national media, the source of negativity from everyone in this city, and the laughing stock of football. Chad is back playing for a contract. Carson is thought of as a top flight QB. The D should be better. I like Rivers and the secondary this season. Odem should be an upgrade on the pass rush over Smith.

I think this team will compete to win the AFC North and Wild Card. A 9-7 team may win the AFC north this season. You can never tell how strong a schedule will be until the season gets underway. In 05 the schedule was supposed to be a killer but it ended up fairly easy. I think this team can win anywhere between 7-11 games. I hope for the higher figure but if things start to go bad it could very easily turn into a bad season.

MWM
09-07-2008, 03:41 PM
I think my prediction of 6 wins was way too optimistic after watching them for a half. I think 4-12 or 3-13 is more realistic.

Heck, I think the Ravens are going to be lucky to win 5 games this year.

Matt700wlw
09-07-2008, 05:19 PM
0 isn't an option?

;)

Mario-Rijo
09-08-2008, 10:35 PM
I think my prediction of 6 wins was way too optimistic after watching them for a half. I think 4-12 or 3-13 is more realistic.

Heck, I think the Ravens are going to be lucky to win 5 games this year.

That was one horrible display, no question about it. And as optimistic as I once was I am now that pessimistic. Truly awful and although I expect them to improve over the course of the season so does the competition. I now expect to be picking top 10 again.

Looks like I need to kickstart my old mantra of Bratkowski must go at the very least. Way too predictable and again not enough running the ball which looked solid at times. Although again Ghiacuic isn't much of a run blocking center either. So why do we continue to try to run it up the gut pretty much exclusively with Ghiacuics lack of push and 2 RB's better suited to outside running.

WMR
12-03-2008, 04:35 PM
:D

remdog
12-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Geez Mo....aren't Bengals fans suffering enough already? :p:

Rem

cincrazy
12-03-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm thinking 7-9 yet again. I would like to be more optimistic, but after going to tonight's game, I can't help but think it will be more of the same. The offense is just completely out of synch, and while the D shouldn't be as bad, I still don't think it will be good.

As usual, I'm an idiot. 7-9.... HA!

paintmered
12-03-2008, 08:48 PM
0-16

Winner.

camisadelgolf
12-04-2008, 01:04 PM
I was the one person who predicted 11 wins. The Reds are going to win 100+ games next year, btw.

Redsfaithful
12-04-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm a moron.

I will say this is the last time this'll happen on my part. After 20ish years of being a fan (I'm 27 years old), I think they've finally done me in. I'll still watch on Sundays (at least have the games on in the background), but they are going to have to actually luck into another 2005 or hire a GM + more scouts before I bother caring again.

Thanks Mike Brown!

wolfboy
12-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Here's my prediction: Jeremi Johnson will not have a good rating in future versions of Madden. :D

remdog
12-04-2008, 04:06 PM
I'm a moron.

I will say this is the last time this'll happen on my part. After 20ish years of being a fan (I'm 27 years old), I think they've finally done me in. I'll still watch on Sundays (at least have the games on in the background), but they are going to have to actually luck into another 2005 or hire a GM + more scouts before I bother caring again.

Thanks Mike Brown!

You're not a moron Redsfaithful. You're a fan. The real moron is Mike Brown. You've been a fan all of your life. Mike has been a priviledged, sheltered waste of DNA all of his life. You're disappointed, maybe even broken-hearted. Mike is happy as he counts his money, maybe even gleeful.

I'll take a stadium full of 'you' before I ever wish Mike Brown 'Merry Christmas'.

Rem