PDA

View Full Version : Empty Nest

RedsFan75
08-17-2008, 11:28 PM
Well, we dropped our daughter (Only child) off at college today....

So it's a very odd feeling now, for us, this 'Empty Nest'... One of those things that you're not sure how you feel. I'm excited for her, but at the same time, worried, scared, etc...

So, I guess I didn't have anything constructive, other than to just try and voice my feelings a bit, and find I can't even do that!

Any other empty nesters? Got any tips!

GoReds33
08-18-2008, 12:02 AM
Turn her bedroom into a Reds shrine, or home theatre. That should suprise her when she comes home.:D

Blimpie
08-18-2008, 07:29 AM
Turn her bedroom into a Reds shrine...Or perhaps a man-cave of some sort: flat screen, PS3, wet bar, etc...

:cool:

gonelong
08-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Well, we dropped our daughter (Only child) off at college today....

So it's a very odd feeling now, for us, this 'Empty Nest'... One of those things that you're not sure how you feel. I'm excited for her, but at the same time, worried, scared, etc...

So, I guess I didn't have anything constructive, other than to just try and voice my feelings a bit, and find I can't even do that!

Any other empty nesters? Got any tips!

Not an empty nester, but I find it helps me to view those type of life changes as opportunities. Ever wanted to learn how to play the guitar? Now you have the time.

GL

flyer85
08-18-2008, 08:47 AM
My wife and I will be doing dropping off of only child at college this coming Sunday. :cry:

RedsFan75
08-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Well, as to a Man room, I already have our extra bedroom as my music room, where I have my many instruments (Guitars, Basses, Mandolins) plus amps, music, etc. Plus I have my PS2 etc... :)

and Flyer, you have my deepest understanding on this!

redsmetz
08-18-2008, 12:42 PM
My wife and I became empty nesters last September when our son started at Ohio State. We're starting the emptying process again as we've had two home over the summer; our younger daughter graduated from college in May, our sons been home since a little bit later. We just saw our daughter off last week for her new job in Atlanta, so we were empty again for a few days while our son continued a vacation with a friend's family. He'll leave sometime in September (midway for a leadership conference, then moving in) and, while I love 'em, I'm looking forward to not having them underfoot.

Last fall though we sort of wandered around trying to get our bearings - eating whatever we wanted for dinner, going out, meeting each other again as hokey as that sounds - very strange.

Sean_CaseyRules
08-18-2008, 01:28 PM
My parents dropped me off at Otterbein College for football this past sunday, and they said that my room in the basement is now the "nude room" :thumbdown:

LoganBuck
08-18-2008, 02:29 PM
My parents dropped me off at Otterbein College for football this past sunday, and they said that my room in the basement is now the "nude room" :thumbdown:

:D my Mom and Dad told my youngest brother that, he leaves for OSU in September. He said he was going to lock his door before he left.

RedsFan75
08-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Nude room, from the movie "Failure to Launch"...

We make the same kind of joke to my daughter! :)

Roy Tucker
08-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Just because they leave doesn't mean they won't come back.

RFS62
08-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Just because they leave doesn't mean they won't come back.

Boy Howdy.

Repeatedly.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.