PDA

View Full Version : Mike Goff; Chatt Mgr Leaves Team

Triples
08-18-2008, 09:07 AM
From the Chattanooga Times Free Press:

Chattanooga Lookouts manager Mike Goff has left the team for personal reasons and will miss the rest of the season.

Lookouts hitting coach Jamie Dismuke served as manager during Saturday night’s 8-7 win at Huntsville and will remain in that role on an interim bases during the final 15 games of the Southern League’s regular season. Chattanooga returns to AT&T Field tonight at 7:15 for the first of a five-game series against Jacksonville.

Neither Cincinnati Reds farm director Terry Reynolds nor Lookouts owner Frank Burke would elaborate Sunday afternoon on Goff’s abrupt departure, and Goff could not be reached.

“All I can tell you is that we appreciate the work he’s done,” Reynolds said. “He did a good job there, and I hope everything goes well.”

Goff guided the Lookouts to a 37-33 record in the first half, and they were 22-32 in the second half before Saturday’s win. Dealt the youngest opening-day Lookouts roster in recent memory, Goff, Dismuke and pitching coach Chris Bosio combined the winning first half with sending a slew of players to Triple-A Louisville.

Starting pitcher Daryl Thompson and middle reliever Danny Herrera not only went on to Louisville but got a big-league taste with the Reds. Touted center fielder Drew Stubbs is the most recent promotion of note, but the exodus has taken a toll on the team’s record this half.

Even by winning their last 15 games, the Lookouts would still likely miss out on the playoffs for a second consecutive season.

“The team is going to finish out the season with Jamie, who is a known commodity to all of them,” Burke said. “Jamie’s had to manage his share of games in the past thanks to ejections, so I don’t think they’ll miss a beat. I know they all wish Mike well with whatever is going on in his personal life.

“My thoughts and prayers certainly are with Mike and his family.”

Goff, 45, was in his first season as Lookouts manager after spending the past 16 years in the Seattle Mariners organization. He spent most of those seasons as the instruction coordinator for the farm system and was later the bench coach for the big-league club.