PDA

View Full Version : Source: Henry headed to Cincinnati to sign deal with Bengals

jesusfan
08-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Source: Henry headed to Cincinnati to sign deal with Bengals

By James Walker
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: August 18, 2008, 8:30 PM ET

The Cincinnati Bengals are close to reaching an agreement with free-agent receiver Chris Henry, a source told ESPN.com Monday night. Henry is en route from Charlotte, N.C., to Cincinnati to sign a contract with the team as early as Tuesday, the source said.
Chris Henry

Henry

The Bengals refused comment on Henry when contacted by ESPN.com on Monday night.

"We don't comment on speculated player moves," Cincinnati team spokesman Jack Brennan said. "We only comment when something is done."

Henry, a former Bengal, was released by the team following his fifth arrest in three years for an alleged incident that took place on March 31. But charges of assault and criminal damaging were later dropped, making him eligible to play in 2008.

Still, the NFL suspended Henry for the first four games of the season.

But the Bengals had shown interest in Henry since the charges were dropped. There was a feeling in Cincinnati that the team may have overreacted in cutting its former third-round draft pick before the judicial system ran its course.

The Bengals have struggled in the past when Henry was not on the field. Last season the team was 2-6 while Henry served an eight-game suspension and 5-3 during the second half of the season with Henry in the lineup.

Henry has 88 career receptions for 1,370 yards and 17 touchdowns as Cincinnati's No. 3 receiver behind Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh. Recently, Henry told ESPN.com he vows to stay out of precarious situations if given another chance.

"I'm just focusing on what I need to be doing off the field so I can keep doing what I do on the field," Henry said. "I just have to be smart and handle myself like a professional at all times. Off the field, if I'll handle situations like I'm supposed to everything else will take care of itself."

Sunday's shoulder injury to Pro Bowl receiver Johnson, in addition to a recent hamstring injury to Houshmandzadeh and a toe injury in rookie Andre Caldwell, may have prompted the urgency to sign Henry this week. Although Henry will not be eligible to play until October, the team needs more capable bodies in practice and during the rest of the preseason.

CTA513
08-18-2008, 08:49 PM
I bet this is Mike Browns doing.

Reds4Life
08-18-2008, 08:50 PM
Oh you have got to be friggin kidding me...............

jesusfan
08-18-2008, 08:52 PM
I guess there goes the development of Simpson and Caldwell, who is probably out 4-6 weeks with a toe injury anyways... However, if Henry can stay straight... T.J, Chad, Henry, Simpson, Caldwell, Maxwell is a special group of receivers...

Reds4Life
08-18-2008, 08:57 PM
I guess there goes the development of Simpson and Caldwell, who is probably out 4-6 weeks with a toe injury anyways... However, if Henry can stay straight... T.J, Chad, Henry, Simpson, Caldwell, Maxwell is a special group of receivers...

If? He is going to end up in prison one day soon. The idea the Bengals would even consider bringing him back after all the trouble he's caused shows what a complete joke this organization is.

toledodan
08-18-2008, 09:00 PM
i love the bengals but this would cross the line with me.

GoReds33
08-18-2008, 09:03 PM
That's a horrible move. He lost his chance for redemption months ago.

Hoosier Red
08-18-2008, 09:17 PM
Does the fact that all the charges which his last arrest stemmed from were dropped mean anything?

I can certainly understand wanting to kick him to the curb before that, but the Bengals didn't it was his most recent arrest which got him dropped. All the charges were dropped so is it fair to not put him back on his previous status?

Reds4Life
08-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Does the fact that all the charges which his last arrest stemmed from were dropped mean anything?

I can certainly understand wanting to kick him to the curb before that, but the Bengals didn't it was his most recent arrest which got him dropped. All the charges were dropped so is it fair to not put him back on his previous status?

He should have been cut after his second arrest. Everbody makes mistakes, he was given a second chance, and blew it. Bringing him back is only asking for trouble and will add another sideshow this team doesn't need. If this was Marvin's call, not only would I sent Henry packing (again) I'd send Marvin with him.

RedFanAlways1966
08-18-2008, 09:30 PM
I just don't get it. The guy is very talented. Might be a better WR than Chad and/or TJ.

Is it alcohol related? Is it drug related? Is it anger-management related? Is it young-and-stupid related? Is it a combination of some/all of these things?

A chance to be very rich and possibly famous. Quit fighting. Quit driving drunk. Quit smoking mary jane.

Stupid or addicted. Got to be one of these things. He makes the Bengals a better team when he plays.

improbus
08-18-2008, 09:41 PM
The Bengals are 22-13 when Henry plays. He makes their offense dynamic in a way that no other player does.

BTW, why don't the Cowboys get picked on for their guys (Pacman, Tank Johnson, etc...). Same with San Diego (Merriman, Foley, etc...). I'm not calling the Bengals victims, but they are the punching bag for a league full of teams with questionable characters.

bengalsown
08-18-2008, 09:41 PM
:thumbup:

Just win baby.

Boss-Hog
08-18-2008, 09:44 PM
I don't like it one bit. I know he can't practice the first four games while he's suspended, but I'm assuming he can during the preseason like he did last year, right?

KronoRed
08-18-2008, 09:48 PM

Just win baby.

What winning took place when he was playing with them before?
;)

bengalsown
08-18-2008, 09:52 PM
What winning took place when he was playing with them before?
;)

11-5 his rookie year.

I'll take that...

rotnoid
08-18-2008, 10:30 PM
The Bengals are 22-13 when Henry plays. He makes their offense dynamic in a way that no other player does.

BTW, why don't the Cowboys get picked on for their guys (Pacman, Tank Johnson, etc...). Same with San Diego (Merriman, Foley, etc...). I'm not calling the Bengals victims, but they are the punching bag for a league full of teams with questionable characters.

As a Cowboys fan, I can tell you they take plenty of heat. Being in Cincinnati, we may not hear it as much as we hear the Bengals. Also, the Cowboys do a decent job of rehabilitating their problem players. Can't think of a single trouble maker the Bengals have rehabilitated. This alone might lead to the alleged "punching bag" status if it exists. Having a bunch of thugs on your team that continue to be a drain on society is a lot different than having a bunch of thugs on your team that you turn into professionals.

WVRed
08-18-2008, 10:32 PM
Might as well sign Odell Thurman while you're at it.

flyer85
08-18-2008, 10:48 PM
have heard insanity defined as continually doing the same thing while expecting a different result.

guttle11
08-18-2008, 11:16 PM
His contract will be for peanuts. It's a no risk move. If they're lucky, they get 12 games of a very talented WR. If not, they're out nothing.

And the locker room wants him back from most accounts.

Just win, baby? Sure. Let the league decide if Henry can play. If he can, I'd rather have him on the Bengals than another team.

bucksfan2
08-19-2008, 08:26 AM
As a Cowboys fan, I can tell you they take plenty of heat. Being in Cincinnati, we may not hear it as much as we hear the Bengals. Also, the Cowboys do a decent job of rehabilitating their problem players. Can't think of a single trouble maker the Bengals have rehabilitated. This alone might lead to the alleged "punching bag" status if it exists. Having a bunch of thugs on your team that continue to be a drain on society is a lot different than having a bunch of thugs on your team that you turn into professionals.

They sure did a good job with Irving and Larry Allen (The guy transporting his body weight in grass.) The cowboys have added two potentially great players for basically nothing. If Tank and Pacman play to their abilities they are as good as first rounders and their cost was little.

Chris Henry is a difference maker. I am a little suprised the Bengals signed him now because of his 4 game suspension. I thought they would look at signing him in 4 weeks or so. Football isn't about putting choir boys on the field. Football is about winning football games. Chris Henry, when on the field, helps the Bengals win games.

Matt700wlw
08-19-2008, 10:46 AM

Just win baby.

That's what it's come down to...if this team's history had a better track record of success and a formula for that success, I may be against this move.

However, they don't.

The last (and only) winning season under Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis came with a productive Chris Henry.

If you lose, nobody cares if it's a team of nice guys. If you win, nobody cares if there's punks on the team.

Hap
08-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Admit it. If any of you were playing Madden, you'd do it.

Who cares what he does off the field? They didn't exactly find James Brooks in a Sunday school.

Boss-Hog
08-19-2008, 12:26 PM
They sure did a good job with Irving and Larry Allen (The guy transporting his body weight in grass.)
The latter was Nate Newton.

flyer85
08-19-2008, 12:52 PM
seems to me this puts Marvin Lewis in an untenable situation ... hard to envision how he gets the players to buy in to his rhetoric

freestyle55
08-19-2008, 02:10 PM
seems to me this puts Marvin Lewis in an untenable situation ... hard to envision how he gets the players to buy in to his rhetoric

I'm pretty sure they just put his cojones on the injured reserve list after Mike Brown just crushed them...

freestyle55
08-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Just win, baby? Sure. Let the league decide if Henry can play. If he can, I'd rather have him on the Bengals than another team.

Yeah, but from all accounts, nobody else was that interested...

Oxilon
08-19-2008, 02:51 PM
Is there a way Henry can appeal his 4 game suspension? I mean, the dude was found to be not guilty in a court of law. Surely that would get Goodell off his high horse and either minimize the suspension or completely disgard it.

acredsfan
08-19-2008, 03:12 PM
Is there a way Henry can appeal his 4 game suspension? I mean, the dude was found to be not guilty in a court of law. Surely that would get Goodell off his high horse and either minimize the suspension or completely disgard it.Since innocent until proven guilty doesn't apply to the NFL's conduct policy, I doubt the fact that charges were dropped would mean anything. I would suggest that the "tough" conduct policy is close to violating a player's rights. I don't like the type of person Chris Henry is, and I have a hard time accepting that the Bengals allowed him to return but I think every person is entitled to certain rights. If I was fired from my job because of accusations that were false you can bet I would look for ways to recoup my losses. Of course, I'm also not a repeat offender.

RedsFan75
08-19-2008, 03:27 PM
Admit it. If any of you were playing Madden, you'd do it.

Are you kidding! I already did!

cincrazy
08-19-2008, 04:25 PM
The Bengals deserve whatever comes next. And I'll leave it at that. This franchise has absolutely no leadership at all. It hit the iceberg years ago, and will remain at the bottom of the sea as long as Captain Brown is at the helms.

Matt700wlw
08-19-2008, 04:30 PM
http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/bronson_guitar_BDD2.jpg

"They're Together Again!"

texasdave
08-19-2008, 04:38 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/specials/preview/2008/08/19/henry.ap/index.html

flyer85
08-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Captain BrownI'm sure he's wondering who ate the strawberries.

Matt700wlw
08-19-2008, 05:04 PM
From I-71/75 in Covington:

http://wa4.images.onesite.com/thelotd.com/user/moegger/billboard.jpg

improbus
08-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Uhh...this is football, not seminary school. If the Bengals make the playoffs, no one will care.

guttle11
08-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Uhh...this is football, not seminary school. If the Bengals make the playoffs, no one will care.

Shh. Let Cincinnati overreact. It's really what they do best.

dsmith421
08-19-2008, 07:15 PM

Yep. Gives a lot of windbags a lot of ammunition to pontificate about people they don't know, however.

The thing I find hilarious about this is the reaction from the national press and blogs (PFT in particular). Prior to this week, I'm pretty sure "Mike Brown" and "doing anything possible to win" have never been mentioned in the same sentence. Or paragraph.

improbus
08-19-2008, 09:25 PM
Anyone remember Ryan Freel's DUI? No one seems too worried about him. Check out some of these quotes from the Channel 5 article about it:

http://www.wlwt.com/sports/4345886/detail.html

"We just feel this is a very unfortunate incident," Cole told News 5. "It's a shame that it had to take place, but I think it's important to point out that Mr. Freel was a complete gentleman the entire evening.

"You hear so many stories about Major League athletes who have altercations with the police. During this incident, he was a complete gentleman."

Workers at the police impound lot are also big baseball fans, London reported. Before News 5 could get a picture of Freel's SUV, workers moved it inside. They said it was out of respect.

Some fans said they were fine with the incident, figuring the Opening Day revelry led to misjudgments and youthful excess.

"I'm a fan of Ryan Freel. (He) plays hard. He's a good ballplayer. Things happen to the best of us. We'll see what comes out of it and see if he learns from it," said Chris Neuhaus, a Reds fan.

Other fans were sharply critical, thinking of Freel as a role model and of his image.

"First game of the year and here's a rising star," said Jim Ellis, a Reds fan. "And for the kids of the city and the fans to see that sort of behavior, it's just not a great example."

Freel joined the Reds in 2003, and his hustle and versatility made him popular with fans.

He was one of the anchors of the team last season, playing five positions in 143 games after injuries sidelined several regular players."

I Love Cincinnati

acredsfan
08-19-2008, 09:30 PM
Anyone remember Ryan Freel's DUI? No one seems too worried about him. Check out some of these quotes from the Channel 5 article about it:

I Love Cincinnati

1 DUI is way different than multiple offenses. Ryan Freel has had no further brushes with the law.

CTA513
08-19-2008, 09:45 PM

I Love Cincinnati

How many times has Freel been in trouble since joining the Reds and how many times has Henry been in trouble since joining the Bengals?

improbus
08-19-2008, 09:52 PM
1 DUI is way different than multiple offenses. Ryan Freel has had no further brushes with the law.

I'm not equating the two, but I love this:

Workers at the police impound lot are also big baseball fans, London reported. Before News 5 could get a picture of Freel's SUV, workers moved it inside. They said it was out of respect.

BTW, If you want to see video of the car in question with Henry, here is the same website. My favorite part: the police officer noticed a car that he had never seen before in Chris Henry's driveway. That must mean that he has a very solid mental inventory of Henry's cars. Why would that be?

http://www.wlwt.com/news/14153845/detail.html

cincrazy
08-19-2008, 10:47 PM
I'm not equating the two, but I love this:

BTW, If you want to see video of the car in question with Henry, here is the same website. My favorite part: the police officer noticed a car that he had never seen before in Chris Henry's driveway. That must mean that he has a very solid mental inventory of Henry's cars. Why would that be?

http://www.wlwt.com/news/14153845/detail.html

What in the world do the two situations have to do with each other? Chris Henry is a pampered punk. You don't have to know the man to know he's been given every opportunity, and he's screwed up SEVERAL times. Not once, not twice, but multiple times. Not only has he been in trouble with the law several times, he's also failed to jump for a ball on few occasions, drawing the ire of Palmer and the coaches.

You say that it's about winning games, which is ironic, because Henry and Odell Thurman played as big a role as anyone in this team NOT winning games the last two years. We couldn't count on him in 2006, we couldn't count on him in 2007, and I hardly think counting on him in 2008 will lead to a different result.

Yachtzee
08-19-2008, 11:01 PM

Well, I wouldn't equate Freel and Henry, as they are their own persons. However, I do find the favorable treatment given Freel a concern. From the sounds of it, he was a serious hazard to himself and others and probably would have been a high blow had he not refused to blow. He had an open container of whiskey in his vehicle and obvious damage to his car showing he had already been in an accident. Yet the Chief of Police went out of his way to talk about how Freel was a gentleman and how it was an "unfortunate incident." It almost seems like he wanted to absolve Freel of his crime right there. I think Freel should have considered himself fortunate that he didn't kill someone and face a charge of vehicular homicide. Regardless of what Henry has or hasn't done, it's clear Freel was treated with kid gloves because of his status.

acredsfan
08-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Well, I wouldn't equate Freel and Henry, as they are their own persons. However, I do find the favorable treatment given Freel a concern. From the sounds of it, he was a serious hazard to himself and others and probably would have been a high blow had he not refused to blow. He had an open container of whiskey in his vehicle and obvious damage to his car showing he had already been in an accident. Yet the Chief of Police went out of his way to talk about how Freel was a gentleman and how it was an "unfortunate incident." It almost seems like he wanted to absolve Freel of his crime right there. I think Freel should have considered himself fortunate that he didn't kill someone and face a charge of vehicular homicide. Regardless of what Henry has or hasn't done, it's clear Freel was treated with kid gloves because of his status. I see where you are coming from, but I don't think Freel was treated with kid gloves. Most people I know felt like they were let down by Freel, but lets face it, I know a few people who have made mistakes that I wouldn't expect of them. It's what you do afterwards that shows what kind of person you are. Ryan Freel hasn't had any more problems, and by all accounts has learned from his error. Ryan didn't come with the baggage that Chris Henry came to Cincinnati with. He was in trouble in college, so he had to walk a fine line. I'm not absolving Ryan, but while you are thankful he didn't harm anybody including himself, you also have to be happy that he conducted himself with class and took the blame for it.

Not to get off subject, but what really makes me sad is I know a girl who got arrested for DUI, still parties every night, and is going to be teaching young kids with her degree in Early Childhood Education. Give me a break...

Back to he subject. Yes, Ryan made a potentially fatal mistake, but by all accounts it was just an out of character choice, not a habit.

BUTLER REDSFAN
08-19-2008, 11:51 PM
Question: Do you understand the frustration of Bengals fans?

Lewis: "I can't answer each fan's frustration. I get frustrated on Sunday afternoons, too. I get frustrated on Mondays. That's part of this job. I can't answer each of their frustrations. They have an option to be frustrated, if they want. It's a waste of time on their part. But they have that option. Their frustrations aren't going to change us and our opportunity to win football games.

After reading this quote from Marvin why should we even give a crap about this team? We are now wasting our time rooting for the team??? How's that for selling your product?!?!

cincrazy
08-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Question: Do you understand the frustration of Bengals fans?

Lewis: "I can't answer each fan's frustration. I get frustrated on Sunday afternoons, too. I get frustrated on Mondays. That's part of this job. I can't answer each of their frustrations. They have an option to be frustrated, if they want. It's a waste of time on their part. But they have that option. Their frustrations aren't going to change us and our opportunity to win football games.

After reading this quote from Marvin why should we even give a crap about this team? We are now wasting our time rooting for the team??? How's that for selling your product?!?!

Marvin says some ignorant things at times, but I feel sorry for him. He has absolute zero power in this organization. If I were him, I'd turn in my resignation YESTERDAY. As days go by, I get the feeling more and more that he's nothing but a Brown puppet, just like LeBeau, just like Coslet, just like Shula. I'm not even sure how much of the blame I'd lay on his feet for the last two seasons to be honest with you. Some blame certainly. But the majority of it belongs on the shoulders of the "front office," which interestingly enough consists of pretty much solely the Brown family.

Matt700wlw
08-20-2008, 12:18 AM
So does Chris Henry give the Bengals a better chance to win football games? I think he does. If he gets his nose dirty again the Bengals are no worse off than they were and his career is over.....he's now the one who has to come in and make himself part of the solution, rather than them counting on him being a part of it.

cincrazy
08-20-2008, 12:25 AM
So does Chris Henry give the Bengals a better chance to win football games? I think he does. If he gets his nose dirty again the Bengals are no worse off than they were and his career is over.....he's now the one who has to come in and make himself part of the solution, rather than them counting on him being a part of it.

I agree with that. It's just frustrating to hear a coach say just a matter of weeks ago "We're done with him, we've completely moved on, we're not interested in signing him," and then whaddyaknow, he's back in the fold. It's not just the Henry situation in particular, just the total lack of cohesion in the so called front office. It's more dysfunctional than the Reds front office has been for the last decade, and that's a ridiculously strong statement.

Matt700wlw
08-20-2008, 12:36 AM
It was Mike's call...not Marvin's. www.thelotd.com/lance What a scene at PBS
Question: What changed in the last month Marvin?
Marvin: "At the end of the day the owner has the final say and Mike wanted us to give him this opportunity"
As for the fans reaction...."They can be frustrated all they want....it's not going to change anything"
Marvin spoke for about 4-minutes and left in a huff.....aggravated over having to explain any of it

Patrick Bateman
08-20-2008, 03:35 AM
As dumb as Henry is, I fully support bringing him back.

This team sucks, and lacks talent. Henry has as much talent as any player on this team. If by some miraculous reason he stays on the field, this will turn out to be a terrific football move. It's a move of desperation from a team that should be desperate. I'm just glad that they are willing to suck up their pride and field the best team they can. The team's reputation isn't going to get any worse, it's a worthwhile risk.

camisadelgolf
08-20-2008, 04:26 AM
Can someone please tell me what illegal activity Chris Henry has done in the past two years? He has really changed his life around, in my opinion. I'm not saying he's been a saint or that I'd trust him to babysit my kids, but he seems like he's been pretty well behaved for the past couple years, and unfortunately, he has had to deal with a lot of false accusations. Over the past couple years, supposedly he's assaulted a few people and failed drug tests, but why are all these things turning up unfounded? It's because of his past. We've all made mistakes, and Henry has made more than most of us, but I think it's time for Cincinnati to just let it go and move on. If you keep clinging to the past, you'll miss a lot of great things in the present and future.

SunDeck
08-20-2008, 07:03 AM
I hope Henry succeeds, I hope he stays clean and I hope he realizes that he's got to control his own destiny. He has acted like a stupid kid for too long and he owes a huge debt of gratitude to Mike Brown for once again sticking his neck out for him.
My gut tells me he will slide back, but I sure do root for this to turn out positively for the kid. It would be a good story to see one out of a zillion decisions Brown has made to turn into a good one.

Chip R
08-20-2008, 09:46 AM
If I were a Bengals fan, I'd want to know a couple of things. First of all, if Chris Henry was such a valuable asset to this franchise, why was he let go in the first place? Secondly, if Chris Henry = Winning, why have the Bengals been no better than 8-8 for the past couple of years?

cincrazy
08-20-2008, 09:59 AM
If I were a Bengals fan, I'd want to know a couple of things. First of all, if Chris Henry was such a valuable asset to this franchise, why was he let go in the first place? Secondly, if Chris Henry = Winning, why have the Bengals been no better than 8-8 for the past couple of years?

Amen

Hoosier Red
08-20-2008, 11:08 AM

I don't think anyone would ever argue that his value isn't diminished by his inability to stay on the field. When playing though, he is a very valuable piece.
The Bengals cut him because the bad public relations were too much to take.
They re signed him partially out of need and partially as a no lose proposition.

Also, for a guy who's been accused of many things, most have been either disproven or dropped.

Chip R
08-20-2008, 11:59 AM
I don't think anyone would ever argue that his value isn't diminished by his inability to stay on the field. When playing though, he is a very valuable piece.

Not valuable enough to keep him on the team, evidently.

The Bengals cut him because the bad public relations were too much to take.

They re signed him partially out of need and partially as a no lose proposition.

So why bring him back? Would there have been a revolt amongst Bengals fans if they would have just said, "Innocent till proven guilty" when he was originally arrested? They don't need him that badly. Sign some free agent from a smaller school if they need bodies so bad. He can't play for the first 4 games anyway so why the urgency to sign him? Just for some exhibition games? It can be a losing proposition. If they are relying on him when he does something stupid again and the NFL suspends him, the Bengals have to adjust to that loss.

It also begs the question: When he screws up again, will the Bengals cut him again or will they say he deserves a 5th (6th) chance? Re-signing him also undermines Lewis' authority.

Also, for a guy who's been accused of many things, most have been either disproven or dropped.

O.J.'s innocent too.

Hoosier Red
08-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Not valuable enough to keep him on the team, evidently.

So why bring him back? Would there have been a revolt amongst Bengals fans if they would have just said, "Innocent till proven guilty" when he was originally arrested? They don't need him that badly. Sign some free agent from a smaller school if they need bodies so bad. He can't play for the first 4 games anyway so why the urgency to sign him? Just for some exhibition games? It can be a losing proposition. If they are relying on him when he does something stupid again and the NFL suspends him, the Bengals have to adjust to that loss.

It also begs the question: When he screws up again, will the Bengals cut him again or will they say he deserves a 5th (6th) chance? Re-signing him also undermines Lewis' authority.

O.J.'s innocent too.

All good points, especially about undermining Lewis' authority.

But here's the point I made earlier in the thread. If the Bengals didn't believe his misdeed prior to this last arrest warranted him being released(and they didn't) then there is no reason not to bring him back. Now they are bringing him back on much more their terms(they'd already paid him whatever bonuses were due and had eaten the cost when they released him.)

flyer85
08-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Re-signing him also undermines Lewis' authority.
which is the real issue in play.

Chip R
08-20-2008, 01:37 PM
which is the real issue in play.

It goes to show that as much as Bengals fans want to believe things changed when he took over; as far as player personnel goes, nothing really has changed and Mike Brown stills calls the shots. I feel bad for Bengals fans.

KoryMac5
08-20-2008, 02:25 PM
It was Mike's call...not Marvin's. www.thelotd.com/lance What a scene at PBS
Question: What changed in the last month Marvin?
Marvin: "At the end of the day the owner has the final say and Mike wanted us to give him this opportunity"
As for the fans reaction...."They can be frustrated all they want....it's not going to change anything"
Marvin spoke for about 4-minutes and left in a huff.....aggravated over having to explain any of it

I really have to think that Marvin is done with the Bengals after this year. I think he is tired of Mike Brown and the Henry resigning is the straw that will break the camels back.

I don't like the signing, second chances are great but third and forth chances are a bit much. Who's next Stanley Wilson, Mattias Askew, A.J Nicholson?

Playadlc
08-20-2008, 05:08 PM
I keep reading that Chris Henry makes the Bengals a better team. I completely disagree with that. Chris Henry makes the Bengals a more talented team, sure, but he does not make them a better team and here is why...he is a selfish football player. The Bengals have way too many people in this organization that only care about themselves. With guys like Chris Henry, Chad Johnson, Deltha O'Neal, Rudi Jonhson, to a certain extent TJ, and others, winning is not the number one driving factor. Their stats, their money all come before winning. This has been the reason the Bengals finish 8-8 or 7-9 every year. I don't even see them doing that well this year. This Bengals season has 6-10/5-11 written all over it.

hebroncougar
08-20-2008, 09:44 PM
I'd love to know why we drafted receivers in the 2nd and 3rd round this year. If they can't play now, then why did we draft them as high as we did. We sure knew what we were doing drafting the Coastal Carolina receiver in the 2nd round that everyone else had on the board as a 4th or 5th rounder. :rolleyes:

Oxilon
08-20-2008, 10:13 PM
I keep reading that Chris Henry makes the Bengals a better team. I completely disagree with that. Chris Henry makes the Bengals a more talented team, sure, but he does not make them a better team and here is why...he is a selfish football player. The Bengals have way too many people in this organization that only care about themselves. With guys like Chris Henry, Chad Johnson, Deltha O'Neal, Rudi Jonhson, to a certain extent TJ, and others, winning is not the number one driving factor. Their stats, their money all come before winning. This has been the reason the Bengals finish 8-8 or 7-9 every year. I don't even see them doing that well this year. This Bengals season has 6-10/5-11 written all over it.

I'm calling B.S. on this post. First off, defining a football player as "selfish" isn't really a bad thing. I'd hope all our players would want to take the ball in key certain situations to win games. Football is probably the only place where being 'selfish' is considered a good attribute.

And I want to know what made you come to the conclusion that a good portion of our best players are only out for their stats and money and not winning? What made you believe that? Because players are holding out and wanting more money? Sorry but that's the case for every player and any team. I mean, Terrell Suggs is still holding out as I type this over a contract dispute. These players play an extremely physical game and only have careers that last ten or so years if they're lucky. And on any play, game, scrimmage, or practice they can suffer an injury that can either seriously hurt them or end them for good. I can't blame players for looking out at their own and families' interests because you and I would certainly do so if put in the same siutation. And I certainly wouldn't it hold it up against them, going as far as labeling them selfish and not looking out for the team's best interest. CJ, Rudi, TJ, and every player out on the field want to win, period.

VR
08-21-2008, 12:58 AM
As a Vikings fan who lived through the Green/Tice 2000-2006 era, my sincere sympathies go out to all Bengals fans. It's nice to be through 'the valley of the shadow of death" as a fan. Hang in there.

dsmith421
08-21-2008, 01:10 PM
As a Vikings fan who lived through the Green/Tice 2000-2006 era, my sincere sympathies go out to all Bengals fans. It's nice to be through 'the valley of the shadow of death" as a fan. Hang in there.

No. That doesn't even come close to comparing. The "suffering" of Vikings fans is like a puddle next to the Pacific Ocean we've been sinking in since 1991.