PDA

View Full Version : Ross trade deadline is Wednesday...trade brewing?

mbgrayson
08-19-2008, 12:59 AM
The Reds DFA'd David Ross on August 11th. They have till the 21st, this Thursday to get him dealt. I think he would have to pass through waivers. His total salary was $2,525,000 this year, and most of that is already paid.

Someone will certainly take him as a free agent. The real question is whether the Reds can get anything in return, if they can trade him to a team that claims him off waivers. His numbers are alright, but his OBP is high, especially for a catcher at .381.

Tonight, on MLBTradeRumors (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/), there was this:

Phillies, Red Sox Interested In Dave Ross
By Tim Dierkes [August 18 at 3:27pm CST]
8:13pm: Rosenthal has added the Red Sox to the mix for Ross.
3:27pm: According to Ken Rosenthal, the Phillies are interested in recently-released catcher Dave Ross. Rosenthal says they could send him to the minors and bring him up when rosters expand. The Marlins seemingly chose Paul Lo Duca over Ross earlier this year.
The 31 year-old backstop hit .231/.381/.366 in 173 plate appearances this year. He flashed prodigious power in '06, but not much since then. Ross threw out 29% of attempted basestealers this year and 41% in '07.

Big Klu
08-19-2008, 01:35 AM
Actually, they designated Ross for assignment on August 10, which was the first day Ryan Hanigan joined the team. So they only have until Tuesday, August 19 to do something.

A somewhat unrelated topic, but Marcus McBeth was designated for assignment on August 9 to make room for Adam Rosales on the 40-man roster. McBeth's 10-day period expired at midnight tonight (about 30 minutes ago). Has anyone heard what the club did? Did they release him? Did he accept outright assignment to the minors?

mbgrayson
08-19-2008, 01:45 AM
Big Klu, you might be right about the date. I saw the ESPN note and date...

Reds August 11: Activated pitcher Aaron Harang from the 15-day disabled list; optioned pitcher Homer Bailey to Louisville of the International League (AAA); designated catcher David Ross for assignment; recalled catcher Ryan Hanigan from Louisville.

I edited the title to say by Wednesday....Maybe it would be clearer to say by Tuesday midnight?

08-19-2008, 02:35 AM
Actually, they designated Ross for assignment on August 10, which was the first day Ryan Hanigan joined the team. So they only have until Tuesday, August 19 to do something.

A somewhat unrelated topic, but Marcus McBeth was designated for assignment on August 9 to make room for Adam Rosales on the 40-man roster. McBeth's 10-day period expired at midnight tonight (about 30 minutes ago). Has anyone heard what the club did? Did they release him? Did he accept outright assignment to the minors?

I think Macbeth is now in the A's or Red Sox system now.

Tom Servo
08-19-2008, 02:38 AM
McBeth is now with the Red Sox.

Rotoworld seemed to indicate Ross has already been released, but even if he hasn't been, I don't see us getting anything for him.

camisadelgolf
08-19-2008, 05:02 AM
I believe Ross already went through waivers, and no one claimed him. If someone would have claimed him then, maybe someone would be willing to trade something for him, but because no one claimed him, the Reds won't be receiving anything for him. I really didn't like this move. Ross is over-paid a little, but he's better than Bako and Valentin IMHO, and I'm hoping neither of those guys are with the Reds next year.

blumj
08-19-2008, 08:52 AM

Rotoworld seemed to indicate Ross has already been released, but even if he hasn't been, I don't see us getting anything for him.
The Red Sox claimed McBeth on 8/13, and used their last open 40 man roster spot on him. I don't know if Walt and Theo are friendly or not, and I don't know if the Reds even particularly want McBeth back, but he hasn't appeared in a game for the Pawsox yet.

HokieRed
08-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Ross is, IMO, exactly the kind of player you don't want to spend 3 million bucks on on a team that has no chance to contend. This is a spot where we use a combination of Hanigan-Castillo-Tatum etc. to get some savings with very little loss. I'd be shocked, frankly, if any of this year's trio of catchers is back on Jocketty's team for 2009.

Chip R
08-19-2008, 11:03 AM
I'd be shocked, frankly, if any of this year's trio of catchers is back on Jocketty's team for 2009.

I think Valentin has played himself onto next year's roster with his play at 1st over the past week. Personally, I wouldn't keep him around but he's versatile and has that rep as a good pinch hitter.

Triples
08-19-2008, 11:12 AM
I believe Ross already went through waivers, and no one claimed him. If someone would have claimed him then, maybe someone would be willing to trade something for him, but because no one claimed him, the Reds won't be receiving anything for him. I really didn't like this move. Ross is over-paid a little, but he's better than Bako and Valentin IMHO, and I'm hoping neither of those guys are with the Reds next year.

Bako has an good rep for handling pitchers and calling a game. Don't be surprised if he sticks around to mentor some of the young catchers coming up through the system.

HokieRed
08-19-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm still hopeful Valentin and Bako will be gone. If I had to bet that one of those two will be back, I'd bet on Bako as a backup to whoever emerges as the semi-starter--Castillo, Tatum, or Hanigan. But if that's the case, then Bako is one of your five bench guys to start with, Dickerson is probably another (assuming a Freel-Dickerson platoon in CF), Keppinger is another (assuming return of Gonzalez and/or acquisition of another SS), Rosales will hit his way on to the team, and I'm figuring we see Hairston back, though not CP. Seems to me there's likely not going to be room for Javy.

Heath
08-19-2008, 01:16 PM
If David Ross was interesting to the Red Sox, maybe they'll trade for Marcus McBeth.....

flyer85
08-19-2008, 01:56 PM
per Rotoworld

Reds released catcher David Ross.
Ross was designated for assignment last week after hitting .231/.381/.366 in 173 plate appearances. He's a career .223 hitter, but that also comes with an average of 27 homers per 500 at-bats and Ross has reportedly already drawn interest from the Phillies.

RedLegSuperStar
08-19-2008, 03:14 PM
I don't think David Ross is property of the Cincinnati Reds therefore the Reds won't be receiving anyone for him.

I like Castillo.. Even though he's young he hit for average last season and if he shows that in Louisville we should see him in September or sooner. He's versitile as well as he can play 3rd and OF.

Highlifeman21
08-19-2008, 11:15 PM

Makes that Denorfia trade look even better now, doesn't it?

With Dunn gone and the CF uncertainty (or even OF uncertainty for that matter), it would definitely be a better situation to have Denorfia on the roster.

I doubt we'll get anything for Ross, seeing as the Fish seemed to have the most interest and that didn't happen before the non-waiver deadline.

OnBaseMachine
08-19-2008, 11:23 PM

With Dunn gone and the CF uncertainty (or even OF uncertainty for that matter), it would definitely be a better situation to have Denorfia on the roster.

I doubt we'll get anything for Ross, seeing as the Fish seemed to have the most interest and that didn't happen before the non-waiver deadline.

Dude, Denorfia has a .713 OPS in a hitter friendly AAA league this year. He's awful. Why continue to make him out as a good player?

Highlifeman21
08-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Dude, Denorfia has a .713 OPS in a hitter friendly AAA league this year. He's awful. Why continue to make him out as a good player?

Is he any worse than Corey Patterson?

Was he any worse than Chris Dickerson?

With McBeth no longer a Red, we gave Denorfia away for nada, zip, zilch, nothing.

I hope Walt doesn't make those same mistakes...

remdog
08-19-2008, 11:45 PM
...we gave Denorfia away for nada, zip, zilch, nothing.

And the team that acquired Denorfia got nada, zip, zilch, nothing. It's really a non-issue. Let it go.

Rem

OnBaseMachine
08-19-2008, 11:49 PM

With McBeth no longer a Red, we gave Denorfia away for nada, zip, zilch, nothing.

Denorfia is barely OPSing above .700 so my guess is he'd be lucky to produce Patterson level stats at the major league level. And yes he's worse than Chris Dickerson.

lollipopcurve
08-19-2008, 11:50 PM
we gave Denorfia away for nada, zip, zilch, nothing.

Denorfia has done nothing.

HokieRed
08-19-2008, 11:57 PM
I'm not a great one to defend Wayne Krivsky but I do think we also got Ben Jukich in that trade and he may yet redeem it somewhat. Frankly if you want to look at Krivsky giveaways whom we could have used, I'd put Cody Ross, Jorge Cantu, and Brendan Harris way ahead of Denorfia.

WVRedsFan
08-20-2008, 12:53 AM

Because it's a RedsZone tradition. It's always been about Denorfia, Hatteberg, Freel, Boussard, and Cameron. Mediocre players at best.

Yep, when the Reds need a 30HR 100 RBI man, we still lust after .260 hitting, 50 RBI guys that play good defense behind a mediocre to bad pitching staff.

Go figure.

WVRedsFan
08-20-2008, 12:54 AM
I'm not a great one to defend Wayne Krivsky but I do think we also got Ben Jukich in that trade and he may yet redeem it somewhat. Frankly if you want to look at Krivsky giveaways whom we could have used, I'd put Cody Ross, Jorge Cantu, and Brendan Harris way ahead of Denorfia.

But they don't play good defense and they don't pitch so they're fodder. :thumbup:

You heard it here first.

SMcGavin
08-20-2008, 12:55 AM

Pre-injury Denorfia was better than those guys and would have been a fine cheap CF option this year. We didn't trade pre-injury Denorfia though. His results this year show that he's not the same guy he used to be. The trade ended up being chaff for chaff.

AmarilloRed
08-20-2008, 02:05 AM

Ben Jukich came back as a PTBNL in that trade as well. He might yet help the Reds.

camisadelgolf
08-20-2008, 02:58 AM
The Denorfia trade was about the cash (over two million dollars). Not much is expected of the players to be named later, including Jukich (even though he might have the organization's best curveball). Jukich still has a chance to surprise people and produce for the Reds down the line, but I wouldn't count on him being anything more than a LOOGY.

For the record, this year, the 28-year-old-should-be-in-his-prime Chris Denorfia is OPSing .639 for Oakland (50 at-bats) and .711 between A+ and AAA (155 at-bats). He has been a big disappointment for them so far.

Tony Cloninger
08-20-2008, 04:45 AM
Dewayne Wise would look better than Denorfia right now.

Ron Madden
08-20-2008, 04:56 AM
The misfortune of injury derailed Chris Denorfia.

I was one of Deno's biggist fans, before his injury he was the best defensive outfielder in our entire organization, He had a good OBP and speed.

I had more faith in Chris Denorfia than I ever had in Drew Stubbs.

camisadelgolf
08-20-2008, 05:12 AM
Dewayne Wise would look better than Denorfia right now.

I think you might be the only person who would go that far. Wise is having a surprisingly-good year, but I don't know that anyone expects it to last.

lollipopcurve
08-20-2008, 08:06 AM
Denorfia had TJ surgery. It's in no way career-derailing for a hitter. Janish has had it, too.

camisadelgolf
08-20-2008, 08:38 AM
Denorfia has been battling back problems this year.

remdog
08-20-2008, 08:53 AM
I think you might be the only person who would go that far. Wise is having a surprisingly-good year, but I don't know that anyone expects it to last.

Well, that's the difference between people thinking it will last and people thinking it will start. The facts are that Dwayne Wise, at the major league level, has, to this point far surpassed anything that Chris Denorfia has ever done. That may change in the future but, at this point, it should be considered unlikely.

Rem

Team Clark
08-20-2008, 09:42 AM
And the team that acquired Denorfia got nada, zip, zilch, nothing. It's really a non-issue. Let it go.

Rem

The Reds did get 1 Million to cover part of the Cormier contract. That was a little something. ;)

camisadelgolf
08-20-2008, 10:22 AM
The Reds did get 1 Million to cover part of the Cormier contract. That was a little something. ;)

Actually, I read that the entire Cormier extension was covered, which would've been over two million dollars.

REDREAD
08-20-2008, 10:59 AM

Remember, the Deno trade was apparently all about correcting the Cormier trade, per Wayne. :lol:

Highlifeman21
08-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Because it's a RedsZone tradition. It's always been about Denorfia, Hatteberg, Freel, Boussard, and Cameron. Mediocre players at best.

Yep, when the Reds need a 30HR 100 RBI man, we still lust after .260 hitting, 50 RBI guys that play good defense behind a mediocre to bad pitching staff.

Go figure.

When the Reds need a 30 HR 100 RBI man, they trade away a 40 HR 100 RBI man.

Makes plenty of sense.

Highlifeman21
08-20-2008, 12:20 PM
Ben Jukich came back as a PTBNL in that trade as well. He might yet help the Reds.

I had forgotten about Jukich, but isn't his timetable 2011 at the earliest?

Highlifeman21
08-20-2008, 12:23 PM
Well, that's the difference between people thinking it will last and people thinking it will start. The facts are that Dwayne Wise, at the major league level, has, to this point far surpassed anything that Chris Denorfia has ever done. That may change in the future but, at this point, it should be considered unlikely.

Rem

What makes you draw that conclusion?

Team Clark
08-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Actually, I read that the entire Cormier extension was covered, which would've been over two million dollars.

Even better! I couldn't find the W/K article where he wanted to make sure everyone "knew" that.

OnBaseMachine
08-20-2008, 12:39 PM
I used to be a big fan of Chris Denorfia about two years ago. I remember starting a thread on how much I liked him and how I thought he was underrated and could put together a Brady Clark type of career. Then he got injured and has never produced like I once thought he could. In less than two years he's gone from underrated in my opinion to the most overrated player in Redszone history.

RedsManRick
08-20-2008, 12:43 PM

Rem

Wise: 430 PA, .216/.252/.380
Deno: 222 PA, .273/.353/.361

Wise may have gotten a few more PA, but he certainly hasn't done more with them than Deno.

Reds1
08-20-2008, 12:44 PM

Cody Ross and Cantu who we gave away for nothing was much worse then these guys!

Reds1
08-20-2008, 12:46 PM

Makes plenty of sense.

a 30 HR 100 RBI guy in another park might be a 40HR guy here and that guy will probably be much cheaper than Dunn and hopefully better defensively. If we want Dunn back he is a Free agent and we grabbed some prospects, but I don't see Dunn back.

corkedbat
08-20-2008, 12:47 PM

Makes plenty of sense.

If the 40HR 100 RBI man has his downsides and (if as rumored) is looking for a contract in the 5-6 yr/$100-120M range, it may well make sense.

I would not have minded re-upping Dunn for 3yrs or so for something in the $45-60M range, but would not have gone any more than 3 years (maybe with a 4th option year tops). I can't say for sure that is what it would have cost, but if that was their thinking, I can see going in a different direction.

SMcGavin
08-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Denorfia had TJ surgery. It's in no way career-derailing for a hitter. Janish has had it, too.

Age 24 AAA: .310/.391/.505
Age 25 AAA: .349/.409/.484
Age 26: injured
Age 27 AAA: .303/.340/.414

Whether it was the TJ or something else, he's not close to the same guy he used to be.

reds44
08-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Those aren't very good examples. Janish and Denorfia both have TJ, both can't hit.

mbgrayson
08-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Update from MLB Traderumors (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/):

WEDNESDAY:Ross became a free agent today, and the Phillies made contact to express their interest.

blumj
08-21-2008, 01:45 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8473536/Red-Sox-sign-Ross-to-minor-league-deal

The Red Sox signed Ross to a minor league contract.

WVRedsFan
08-21-2008, 01:50 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8473536/Red-Sox-sign-Ross-to-minor-league-deal

The Red Sox signed Ross to a minor league contract.

Which only goes to show what the rest of the baseball world thought of him.

Why do we always end up with the guys no one else wants? We had to basically give Dunn and Griffey away, Scott Hatteberg is still without a job, Freel is injured as usual, and feelers for David Weathers and Bronson Arroyo were fruitless. We gave Mike Stanton his last chance. And we paid too much for all of them.

Hopefully, those days are over.

blumj
08-21-2008, 02:10 AM
Which only goes to show what the rest of the baseball world thought of him.

Why do we always end up with the guys no one else wants? We had to basically give Dunn and Griffey away, Scott Hatteberg is still without a job, Freel is injured as usual, and feelers for David Weathers and Bronson Arroyo were fruitless. We gave Mike Stanton his last chance. And we paid too much for all of them.

Hopefully, those days are over.
The Red Sox must like something about him. No one would sign a catcher to a major league contract on August 20 unless one of their regular catchers got injured. It's too late to learn a whole new pitching staff, but almost time for rosters to expand.

WVRedsFan
08-21-2008, 02:18 AM
The Red Sox must like something about him. No one would sign a catcher to a major league contract on August 20 unless one of their regular catchers got injured. It's too late to learn a whole new pitching staff, but almost time for rosters to expand.

The telling part was "as a third string catcher."

Yep, this administration valued "a third string catcher" enough to keep him around for almost three years and the top catcher on the team. Just goes to show you how far we have to go to actually be that contender we all hope the Reds will be.

camisadelgolf
08-21-2008, 02:30 AM
I don't think it was so much that the Reds valued Ross as much as it was that there were no better options. Offensively, as a Red, Ross was an above-average catcher. Defensively, we (on RedsZone) will never all agree, but I always thought he was pretty good (handled pitchers well, threw out runners fairly well, made good decisions on the field, etc.).

Anyway, I wonder if Ross went to Boston because of all the stories Arroyo told him. :D

blumj
08-21-2008, 02:43 AM
The telling part was "as a third string catcher."

Yep, this administration valued "a third string catcher" enough to keep him around for almost three years and the top catcher on the team. Just goes to show you how far we have to go to actually be that contender we all hope the Reds will be.

And, what I'm saying is, any catcher brought in this late in the season would have to be as "a third string catcher", unless it's really an emergency. Believe me, I'd rather have Ross in the lineup than Varitek or Cash, but you can't just throw a new guy behind the plate and hope he figures out how to communicate with Dice-K or catch Wakefield's knuckleball. Okay, so maybe the Sox have more extreme issues than most teams, but, still, it's asking a lot even without anything that extreme. Check out the Yankees. Posada gets injured, they add I-Rod at the deadline, and Pettitte and Mussina want nothing to do with him. You just can't do it.

Jpup
08-21-2008, 03:01 AM
I still can't understand why the Reds gave away their best catcher in the entire organization...by far. They did it with LaRue and now with Ross.

mth123
08-21-2008, 04:36 AM
I still can't understand why the Reds gave away their best catcher in the entire organization...by far. They did it with LaRue and now with Ross.

Because he's not. He may have been the best offensive catcher, but his defense is quite offensive as well.

Jpup
08-21-2008, 04:40 AM
Because he's not. He may have been the best offensive catcher, but his defense is quite offensive as well.

eh, maybe you are right, but I liked the dude. :D

HokieRed
08-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Here's LaRue's line from last year: .148/.240/.272/.512. Not much lost.

Roy Tucker
08-21-2008, 11:03 AM
It's still way early, but I can't say I'm all that impressed with Hanigan's defense either.

Reds Freak
08-21-2008, 11:11 AM
It's still way early, but I can't say I'm all that impressed with Hanigan's defense either.

It seems to me more of an issue of him needing to get used to the pitchers. The few balls that he's let through have been on Bronson's frisbee curve balls and one on Harang I believe. He had a tough time getting on the same page with Bronson last night too. That will come with time. Not that it really means a whole lot, but he was voted best defensive catcher in the International League..

Roy Tucker
08-21-2008, 11:24 AM
It seems to me more of an issue of him needing to get used to the pitchers. The few balls that he's let through have been on Bronson's frisbee curve balls and one on Harang I believe. He had a tough time getting on the same page with Bronson last night too. That will come with time. Not that it really means a whole lot, but he was voted best defensive catcher in the International League..

All good points and very true.

I was just going on that wild pitch in the 3rd last night. Arroyo frisbee'd one in the dirt and Hanigan tried to backhand it without getting out of his crouch. I was like "uh, son, up here, we move our knees and shift over to block those, get your butt over there".

Very anecdotal and hard to make a performance curve out of a single data point. I hope to see his defensive prowess come to bear soon.

RedsManRick
08-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Ross has signed a minor league deal with the Red Sox.

The Red Sox, adding catching help for the stretch drive, have signed David Ross to a minor-league contract, according to major-league sources.

Ross, 31, drew interest from the Red Sox and Phillies after getting released by the Reds. He will report to Class AAA and eventually become the Sox's third catcher behind Jason Varitek and Kevin Cash.

The Sox would need to promote Ross by Aug. 31 to make him eligible for their post-season roster. Ross also could be added for the playoffs if Varitek or Cash were injured.

In 52 games with the Reds this season, Ross batted only .231 but produced a robust .381 on-base percentage.

The Red Sox will be his fifth team, and first in the American League.

LoganBuck
08-21-2008, 12:44 PM
I find it funny that a team in much better shape than the Reds picked up Ross. I somehow doubt that Paul Bako would be signed anywhere had he been cut. Similar to Adam Dunn batting fourth on a better team.

Big Klu
08-21-2008, 06:12 PM
I find it funny that a team in much better shape than the Reds picked up Ross. I somehow doubt that Paul Bako would be signed anywhere had he been cut. Similar to Adam Dunn batting fourth on a better team.

I don't know...IMO Paul Bako is better than Chad Moeller was, and Moeller has a regular gig with the Yankees this season.

Reds1
08-21-2008, 06:18 PM
The more I think about it and see the list of catcher available Ross is probably in the top quarter or at least 1/2 of that list. Not sure why we waived him. .381 OBP. Is that right? He has a good arm and I think calls a decent game. We'll see though. I'll wait to pass judgement for another week or so. :)

fearofpopvol1
08-21-2008, 06:59 PM
There was no good reason to DFA Ross in favor of Valentine, in my opinion.

RedsBaron
08-21-2008, 07:21 PM
The more I think about it and see the list of catcher available Ross is probably in the top quarter or at least 1/2 of that list. Not sure why we waived him. .381 OBP. Is that right? He has a good arm and I think calls a decent game. We'll see though. I'll wait to pass judgement for another week or so. :)
Yes. Other than Jerry Hairston's .388, Ross had the highest OBP on the Reds. Can't have him clogging up the bases.

Highlifeman21
08-21-2008, 10:46 PM
There was no good reason to DFA Ross in favor of Valentine, in my opinion.

Ross makes more money than Valentin, IIRC, plus Valentin can supposedly also play 1B and as we've seen this year 3B.

It's that kinda flawed logic that results in Ross as a Red Sox and Valentin still a Red...

Reds1
08-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Ross makes more money than Valentin, IIRC, plus Valentin can supposedly also play 1B and as we've seen this year 3B.

It's that kinda flawed logic that results in Ross as a Red Sox and Valentin still a Red...

I agree. Ross should probably be the started and be in the 7 or 8 hole depending on if Patterson is playing :eek:

Jpup
08-30-2008, 05:57 PM
Boston called up Ross on Friday. Sean Casey and Josh Beckett went to the 15 day DL.

blumj
08-31-2008, 09:54 AM
Boston called up Ross on Friday. Sean Casey and Josh Beckett went to the 15 day DL.
Casey's had a knack this season of getting himself hurt whenever Lowell's on the DL. Good plan, lousy execution? I don't quite know how or when they're going to get Ross into a game unless they wind up in a blowout, but it's kind of funny how the Red Sox entire available bench last night was a catcher who can't hit a lick and another catcher who, as far as I know, has never caught a single pitcher on their staff.

Blitz Dorsey
08-31-2008, 10:29 AM
It's very simple why Ross was released: He had a big option for next year and the Reds were not going to pick it up. Reds wanted to give Hanigan a chance and they think there's an outside chance they might bring Bako back next year in a backup/platoon role (hopefully not, but still...).

This was not about "Is Dave Ross better than Bako and Hanigan right now?" because he clearly is. Well, he might not be clearly better than Hanigan, but if you were in a pennant race you would want Ross over Hanigan IMO due to experience. But the Reds are getting ready for 2009. Ross was not going to factor in their plans, so they did a good thing for all parties and waived him. Tried to trade him, but released him. Ross gets to catch on with a real team and we get to see what Hanigan's got for next year. And yeah, they could have kept Hanigan and Ross, but again, I think they are considering bringing Bako back for one more year.

mth123
08-31-2008, 12:06 PM
It's very simple why Ross was released: He had a big option for next year and the Reds were not going to pick it up. Reds wanted to give Hanigan a chance and they think there's an outside chance they might bring Bako back next year in a backup/platoon role (hopefully not, but still...).

This was not about "Is Dave Ross better than Bako and Hanigan right now?" because he clearly is. Well, he might not be clearly better than Hanigan, but if you were in a pennant race you would want Ross over Hanigan IMO due to experience. But the Reds are getting ready for 2009. Ross was not going to factor in their plans, so they did a good thing for all parties and waived him. Tried to trade him, but released him. Ross gets to catch on with a real team and we get to see what Hanigan's got for next year. And yeah, they could have kept Hanigan and Ross, but again, I think they are considering bringing Bako back for one more year.

I think Ross was released because when the position is called "Catcher" ability to actually catch the ball is something you'd like him to have. I've yet to see Ross demonstrate that he actually has that ability on a consistent basis.