PDA

View Full Version : Name the new KY, Minor League Team!

Jharb74
08-19-2008, 09:29 AM
Bowling Green, KY will be getting a class A minor league team next year. We've discussed all of the who's gonna be the affiliate type stuff on here before, but now comes the fun part (well, sorta when you see the choices)! Name the team contest!!!

Here are your choices:
Bowling Green Speedsters
Bowling Green Cave Shrimp
Bowling Green Hot Rods
Bowling Green Bluegills
Bowling Green Turbos
Bowling Green Sparkplugs
Bowling Green Mammoths

I swear if they are the Cave Shrimp I'll tear up my season tickets. My vote is for the Mammoths. Bluegills? Lets see they are indiginous to every square inch of America!! If I was a betting man I'd say the Hot Rods will win, beacuse there's a lot of drag race weekends and hot rod cruise ins all summer. So local officials will want to sell all those out of towners a Hot Rod shirt and hat, wheather they like baseball or not.

To vote and get an explination on the names go here:
http://www.bowlinggreenprobaseball.com/namevote.html

podgejeff_
08-19-2008, 09:37 AM
I like the Mammoths as well.

Grande Donkey
08-19-2008, 09:43 AM
I like Cave Shrimp. Mammoths isn't a bad choice though.

Triples
08-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Cave shrimp are blind little diminutive creatures; hardly an imposing figure for a baseball mascot. How would you put a blind mascot/logo on a baseball cap and make it work????

I kind of like the Hot Rod thing. Success in a Minor League baseball franchise is all about markerting. If there are a lot of hot rod related events in town during the summer it makes some sense and I can envision some pretty cool logos.

FutureRedsGM
08-19-2008, 10:41 AM
I'm surprised that 'Vettes wasn't one of the choices. Of those listed, I would vote for Sparkplugs or Mammoths. Those seem to best fit the area.

texasdave
08-19-2008, 10:42 AM
I'll cast a vote for Cave Shrimp.

marcshoe
08-19-2008, 10:57 AM
No Bowling Green Kegglers?

Bowling Green Jeans?

Bowling Green Beans?

Bowling Green Grass?

The possibilities are endless. Too bad the choices are so limited.

If they pick up the affiliation, they could always be the Bowling Green Reds, or even the Bowling Green Red Greens.

oneupper
08-19-2008, 10:59 AM
I like Turbos. It's kind of generic, not a fish nor a slow extinct hairy mammal or a blind albino crustacean.

HBP
08-19-2008, 11:23 AM
I voted Mammoths, but I'd have to laugh if Cave Shrimp won.

OnBaseMachine
08-19-2008, 11:25 AM
My vote goes to Cave Shrimp. That's an awesome name.

1 Tool Player
08-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Cave Shrimp

podgejeff_
08-19-2008, 11:48 AM
I like Turbos. It's kind of generic, not a fish nor a slow extinct hairy mammal or a blind albino crustacean.

The Mammoths name would be more of a name connecting it to the Mammoth Cave structure of the area. Not the hairy mammal.

God knows what they'd use for a mascot though. More than likely the hairy mammal. I don't know how you'd make a mascot out of a cave.

Make it a big talking stalagmite or something.

Grande Donkey
08-19-2008, 11:49 AM
It should be the Bowling Green Bay Packers. Brett Favre could be the mascot and logo on the hats and jerseys.

cumberlandreds
08-19-2008, 11:51 AM

I like that one too. Cave Shrimp? You never ever have a sports team with shrimp in it. Too much ridicule can come from that one.

Yachtzee
08-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Bowling Green Spelunkers? Or how about the Mammoth Cavemen? Kentucky Moonshiners?

mace
08-19-2008, 12:01 PM
How about the Stalactites?

Actually, Cavemen is pretty darn good. You could do a lot with that one.

HBP
08-19-2008, 12:08 PM

Yeah, a Geico sponsorship

Grande Donkey
08-19-2008, 12:08 PM

Actually, Cavemen is pretty darn good. You could do a lot with that one.Not to mention you could probably get a boat load of sponsorship money from Geico.

Grande Donkey
08-19-2008, 12:09 PM
HBP is a quick one.

Jharb74
08-19-2008, 01:03 PM

That was my original vote when they took nominations, but they said Caveman was way too hard to copyright with the whole Geico thing. Not to mention Hanna-Barberra and their character Capt. Caveman.

I'm sure everyone is half joking about voting the Cave Shrimp, at least I hope so anyway. It's all fun and games on a message board, but some of us have to live in this area. We don't need another thing to be laughed at about this reigon. Ha ha! :)

Jharb74
08-19-2008, 01:10 PM
This just in from today's newspaper:

"The finalists were announced around noon Monday and Taylor said close to 1,000 votes were cast in the first day - with Hot Rods, Mammoths and Cave Shrimp the early leaders."

Wonderful. A special thanks to all of you that voted Cave Shrimp. I now hope that with it's proximity to Cincy, someday the stars will align and the BG Cave Shrimp will be the Reds A affiliate. (insert sarcasm here)

HBP
08-19-2008, 01:15 PM
I'm sure everyone is half joking about voting the Cave Shrimp, at least I hope so anyway. It's all fun and games on a message board, but some of us have to live in this area. We don't need another thing to be laughed at about this reigon. Ha ha! :)

Just as long as we never get a "Bowling Green Y'all" water tower, it'll be ok.

Michael Young
08-19-2008, 01:22 PM
CAVE SHRIMP

Caveat Emperor
08-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Cave Shrimp is clearly the winner here.

If that wins, it would instantly become one of the greatest nicknames in professional sports.

KittyDuran
08-19-2008, 03:14 PM
Voted Cave Shrimp... and they'll be playing the Sand Gnats and the Crawdads! :beerme:

Mario-Rijo
08-19-2008, 05:17 PM
I love the Cave Shrimp thing for pure humor and the ring it has. But Hot Rods or Turbos sounds like a better team name for my liking.

Joseph
08-19-2008, 07:37 PM
Terrible choices all.

Especially since the one I submitted wasn't there. :D

11larkin11
08-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Crab People-Craaaaab Peee-ple

HBP
08-19-2008, 09:52 PM
It just occurred to me that Tim Beckham, the overall #1 pick in this years draft, should play for this team next year.

Jharb74
08-21-2008, 05:43 PM
An open letter to the Reds Zone Nation:

Dear RedsZone Fellow Posters,
Let me start by saying I'm a simple man, I need no huge lavish pleasures in life. I've been an actual member since March 05, although I've been just reading since probably June of 04. As you can see from my post #'s I haven't posted that much in the grand scheme of things. I'm more of a reader/listener and about 60% of my posts are on threads I actually know the people. So I don't spout off too much.

I'm not political at all, and pretty much hate polotics. I'm from Ohio originally and now call Bowling Green, KY home, for the past 10 years. I love jokes and understand humor, I'm even in a local comedy troop. I love the romanticism that is Minor League Baseball. I would just like to ask everyone to STOP VOTING FOR THE FREAKING CAVE SHRIMP! There are sites saying that this is leading.

It's all fun to people sitting up in the Toledo area or the west coast that will never visit Bowling Green. I have to live here people! My family has a deposit on 3 season tickets! I'm that guy that will buy all the jerseys, hats, etc. As stated, I'm all for humor, I own a Modesto Nuts Hat, and my office has stickers from the Montgomery Biscuits! Please, Please, Please people, if not for me think of my little 2 year old daughter. Aren't there enough jokes about Kentucky? Vote for any of the other dumb names but NO CAVE SHRIMP.

Enclosed is my grass roots movement logo I designed to spread the word.

Thank You,
Jharb74

toledodan
08-21-2008, 11:32 PM
An open letter to the Reds Zone Nation:

Dear RedsZone Fellow Posters,
Let me start by saying I'm a simple man, I need no huge lavish pleasures in life. I've been an actual member since March 05, although I've been just reading since probably June of 04. As you can see from my post #'s I haven't posted that much in the grand scheme of things. I'm more of a reader/listener and about 60% of my posts are on threads I actually know the people. So I don't spout off too much.

I'm not political at all, and pretty much hate polotics. I'm from Ohio originally and now call Bowling Green, KY home, for the past 10 years. I love jokes and understand humor, I'm even in a local comedy troop. I love the romanticism that is Minor League Baseball. I would just like to ask everyone to STOP VOTING FOR THE FREAKING CAVE SHRIMP! There are sites saying that this is leading.

It's all fun to people sitting up in the Toledo area or the west coast that will never visit Bowling Green. I have to live here people! My family has a deposit on 3 season tickets! I'm that guy that will buy all the jerseys, hats, etc. As stated, I'm all for humor, I own a Modesto Nuts Hat, and my office has stickers from the Montgomery Biscuits! Please, Please, Please people, if not for me think of my little 2 year old daughter. Aren't there enough jokes about Kentucky? Vote for any of the other dumb names but NO CAVE SHRIMP.

Enclosed is my grass roots movement logo I designed to spread the word.

Thank You,
Jharb74

trust me when i say nobody is sitting in toledo. they are running away fast!:D

YOUR POST WAS VERY FUNNY!:beerme:

KittyDuran
08-22-2008, 08:22 PM
OK J... I went to the website and voted for Mammoths 3 times (I have 4 email addresses - and my votes went through)...:thumbup:

Joseph
08-22-2008, 08:24 PM
I think you are making it worse Jharb.

Mammoths is, in my opinion,the best option.

however I am glad I moved to Louisville and don't have to deal with the Cave Shrimp.

George Foster
08-24-2008, 12:53 AM
I like the name "vettes" since the only corvette plant in the world is in Bowling Green along with the corvette museum...which is a must see!!

I'm sure GM would not mind, since it's promotes their car.

Caveat Emperor
08-24-2008, 04:30 AM
Sorry, I'm still encouraging everyone at my office to vote early and vote often for Cave Shrimp.

It would be the greatest sports nickname ever. You cannot deny destiny. ;)

toledodan
08-24-2008, 07:47 PM
I like the name "vettes" since the only corvette plant in the world is in Bowling Green along with the corvette museum...which is a must see!!

I'm sure GM would not mind, since it's promotes their car.

being a GM worker i know they would promote it in a second.

HBP
08-24-2008, 09:47 PM
being a GM worker i know they would promote it in a second.

Well they'll just have to create a new car that resembles a Cave Shrimp.

Jharb74
08-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Well unfortunatly my tirade has not worked. The Sunday paper did have a letter to the editor about how all the names stunk, but the dumb Sports guy wrote an editorial of how we should embrace the Cave Shrimp!!!!

http://www.bgdailynews.com/articles/2008/08/24/sports/s3.txt

Yachtzee
08-25-2008, 10:47 PM
Going with the cave theme, I think the Troglodytes would have been a good name. Not only is it a cool name for a cave dweller, but it can also be shortened to "Trogs" on the uniform. Go Trogs!

freestyle55
08-26-2008, 03:33 PM
Should be the Falcons, mascot of the TRUE Bowling Green!

BGSU, Class of 2001...

And yes, since that wasn't an option, I had to go with the Cave Shrimp for the 5 email addresses between myself and my wife, just for the fact that I had never heard of Bowling Green, Kentucky until I went to Bowling Green, Ohio, yet everyone wonders if my school was in Kentucky...

could there possibly be a worse name in all of sports?

AccordinglyReds
09-02-2008, 01:29 AM
Saw in the paper today that this team is going to be an affiliate for the Tampa Bay Rays.

LoganBuck
09-02-2008, 09:09 PM
I voted Cave Shrimp. I will buy merchandise just because I like the idea. I will never ever see a game there.

KittyDuran
09-04-2008, 08:45 AM
I'll post this in the two threads...

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/dragons/2008/09/04/ddn090408spdragonsnotes.html

Midwest League to expand to 16 teams for 2010
By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

Thursday, September 04, 2008
DAYTON The Midwest League announced two teams will be moving in from the South Atlantic League in 2010 Lake County (a Cleveland suburb) and Bowling Green, Ky. That would give the Midwest League 16 teams and reduce the Sally League to 14.

Midwest League President George Spelius said discussions have not been held to determine the new alignment, but there are eight teams currently in the West Division and only six in the East Division, where the Dragons reside. Since Bowling Green and Lake County are east of all the other teams ...

Lake County wanted to make the move, but the other most logical team to leave the Sally League Lexington, Ky. wants to stay where it is. So Bowling Green was substituted.

Lexington is about 135 miles from Dayton, the closest Midwest League team, while Bowling Green is 263 miles away. Bowling Green's average traveling distance in its new league will be 474 miles, while Lake County's average distance will be 410.

Bowling Green which will play in the Sally League next year for just one season after moving from Columbus, Ga. is an affiliate of Tampa Bay. Lake County is an Indians affiliate.

Jharb74
09-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Yeah I saw that article. It was funny that the local paper didn't cover that. They usually have every story about the new team, even if a bulldozer at the stadium building site runs out of gas.

It will be cool to see the likes of the Dayton Dragons in 2 years.

The voting is now closed. They'll announce sometime next month the team name. Please, to all the holy baseball Gods, NO CAVE SHRIMP!