PDA

View Full Version : Matt Belisle done for the year

Danny Serafini
08-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Per team press notes. He had surgery on a torn ACL in his right knee today.

redsmetz
08-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Per team press notes. He had surgery on a torn ACL in his right knee today.

Is this a recent injury or has it been a nagging thing. Could that explain his decline? Just wondering.

Danny Serafini
08-19-2008, 04:04 PM
I've got no idea.

Superdude
08-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Pretty disappointing year for him. I'll admit, I thought he was gonna improve on '07 and be pretty solid out of the rotation.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-19-2008, 04:52 PM
I don't think he should be back next year.

Highlifeman21
08-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Pretty disappointing year for him. I'll admit, I thought he was gonna improve on '07 and be pretty solid out of the rotation.

He still could be solid for the back of the rotation for 2009. I'm not giving up on him quite yet.

redsmetz
08-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Is this a recent injury or has it been a nagging thing. Could that explain his decline? Just wondering.

I did a quick Google news search and it looks like he injured it in a game recently.

Big Klu
08-19-2008, 04:57 PM
I did a quick Google news search and it looks like he injured it in a game recently.

That's what I figured. Players don't normally hobble along on torn ACL's for weeks or months at a time. If he's having ACL surgery, then he tore it recently.

dfs
08-19-2008, 05:19 PM
He'll be out of options and arbitration eligible.

If he contributes, they'll have to pay him, and chances are he isn't gonna contribute.

I guess you can keep him on the 40 man roster during the offseason to see how things go during spring training, but you've got better candidates for the long job and better candidates for the short job. They could release him now and just save everybody the trouble.

I know...I know, can't release him while he's on the DL, but the guy isn't any kind of property.

REDREAD
08-20-2008, 10:29 AM
I think the Reds already decided prior to this injury that Belisle wasn't coming back. At least I hope so.

We have given the kid about 5 years now. That is enough. He's never going to even be an average pitcher. Time to move on.

Will M
08-20-2008, 10:31 AM
I think the Reds already decided prior to this injury that Belisle wasn't coming back. At least I hope so.

We have given the kid about 5 years now. That is enough. He's never going to even be an average pitcher. Time to move on.

yep. IMO Belisle, Coffey & Majik should be released ( unless someone out there will give us something for them )

Chip R
08-20-2008, 12:25 PM
He's never going to even be an average pitcher. Time to move on.

With us at least. Don't be surprised if he flourishes somewhere else.

REDREAD
08-20-2008, 04:26 PM
With us at least. Don't be surprised if he flourishes somewhere else.

No, I don't even think the normal boost of good luck after leaving Cincy will help him. The guy was never that good. Probably one of the most overrated prospects we've had in the last 10 years.

GAC
08-21-2008, 09:22 PM
From what I've read, the Reds were trying to convert him to relief.

The only relief we can get is let him go. ;)

Jpup
08-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Matt Belisle is likely to go so St. Louis or San Diego and win a whole bunch of ball games. I always like the kid and he always seemed to get jerked around as far as his role. I think he has it in him to be a good pitcher, but he is injury prone.

Chip R
08-22-2008, 09:19 AM
No, I don't even think the normal boost of good luck after leaving Cincy will help him. The guy was never that good. Probably one of the most overrated prospects we've had in the last 10 years.

I'm not talking about good luck. I'm talking about going to an organization that may be able to turn him into a decent pitcher. He may not be that good but I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn into a decent pitcher elsewhere.

camisadelgolf
08-23-2008, 01:09 AM
Matt Belisle is nothing more than a swingman, but even those have value. Heck, Josh Fogg, a much less valuable player in the market, got a million-dollar MLB contract. Belisle probably could have gotten close to two million if he were a free agent before the year. Personally, I would love to have him in the bullpen next year. On those days when Bronson Arroyo gives up five earned runs in three innings, maybe Belisle can keep the Reds in the game and come in to pitch three or four innings of one-run relief. He has always been better as a reliever than as a starter anyway. In fact, his career ERA is more than a run lower, and his K-rate goes up as a reliever. I agree that he was a little unlucky last year, but I also don't think he can consistently pitch as well as he did as a starter in 2007. He's good for a mopup pitcher, but please don't expect him to do any better than his career best at this point.