PDA

View Full Version : Votto's father passed away

redsfan4445
08-19-2008, 09:29 PM
My condolences go out to Joey and his family. This is reported on rotoworld why he was away on bereavement

Joey Votto is back in the Reds' starting lineup for the first time since being placed on the bereavement list on August 8.
Votto's father passed away, and the Reds wanted to give him as much time as he needed. He's been with the team since the weekend, appearing as a pinch-hitter.

God Bless you Joey.. you have fans here that will feel your loss too

remdog
08-19-2008, 09:54 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70934&page=5

OnBaseMachine
08-20-2008, 01:22 AM
Votto opens up about the death of his father

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

CHICAGO — Joey Votto didn't want to talk about it for a few days — the death of his father, Joe. He asked that people respect his privacy while he was gone for a week on bereavement leave.

And he still didn't want to talk about it Saturday and Sunday when he was back with the Cincinnati Reds, pinch-hitting in both games.

His name was back on the lineup card Tuesday, Aug. 19, and without being asked, he brought up the death of his father.

"Obviously, the last week was hard," he said. "Being around the guys is a real good distraction and really helps take my mind off everything.

"I love what I do, and this gives me an opportunity to do what my dad would want me to do," he added. "This was important to him and he said he watched every game. It was part of his routine. He was a hard worker, too, one of those guys who did it every single day, then come looking forward to watching my game."

Votto's father, Joe, was a chef for a retirement home, worked 9-to-5, but made sure he got back to his suburban Toronto home in time to watch the Reds.

His son said he is ready to resume playing every day.

"I got a lot done Saturday and Sunday, a lot of extra everything. I'm happy I got those two pinch-hit at-bats and plenty of other stuff," he said.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2008/08/20/ddn082008spredsnotes.html

oneupper
08-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Toronto Star Obits

VOTTO, JOSEPH
JOSEPH VOTTO 52 years, on Friday, August 8, 2008 of Toronto. Beloved husband of 29 years to Wendy (Howell). Proud, devoted and loving father of Joey, Tyler, Paul and Ryan. Predeceased by his parents Joseph and Joyce. Will be sadly missed by his brothers and sisters, Richard Rothera and Joanne, Sharon Rothera and Warren, Paul Votto and Lori, Kathy Votto (1983), Brenda Beneteau and Doug, brother-in-law of Peggy Humber and Paul. Son-in-law of Norman and Betty Howell. Also survived by many nieces and nephews. Joseph was a talented Executive Red Seal Chef. Visiting Wednesday from 7 - 9 p.m. and Thursday, from 2-5 and 7-9 p.m. with Funeral Service to be held Friday, August 15, 2008, 10:30 a.m. at Melady Funeral Home, 572 Notre Dame, Belle River, 519-728-1500. Interment St. Simon and St. Jude Cemetery. Online condolences may be made at www.meladyfuneral.ca