PDA

View Full Version : The Reds Offense

Nasty_Boy
08-19-2008, 10:59 PM
God forbid we go into next season with this type of lineup. It's really disgusting to watch this team go to the plate with no plan whatsoever. Walt has to acquire more patient hitters that work counts because these guys will not hit enough to keep this team out of the basement.

BTW, this isn't a Dunn thread. I just hope that Walt plans on being aggressive in the offseason because next year will be unbearable to watch.

LouisvilleCARDS
08-19-2008, 11:20 PM
I think he'll get a few solid role players, but nothing spectacular. There's not going to be any superstar position players out there unless we can pull a trade off. I doubt Patterson will be back, even Freel would be an upgrade over him, and Alex Gonzalez would be a better defensive replacement for Encarnacion or Keppinger.

Nasty_Boy
08-19-2008, 11:24 PM
I could handle them going with prospects and seeing what they have... I can't handle BP hitting 4th, Bruce EE and BP swinging at everything, Bako behind the plate, Kepp at SS, and anything that remotely resembles CPat in CF. Either trade the farm for proven guys (and spend money to extend them) or play the youngsters. I'm sick of journeymen getting their chance in Cincy.

Slyder
08-19-2008, 11:48 PM
What about throwing big money at Vlad the impaler? He'd totally demolish stuff in GABP.

ChatterRed
08-19-2008, 11:49 PM
On the bright side, Cueto pitched a nice game against a good team, tonight. I like seeing him improve.

Nasty_Boy
08-20-2008, 12:12 AM
Yes, Johnny looked nice. He's been fun to watch of late. I have a feeling that we're going to see him and Volquie throw some nice games and end up losing 2-1 or 1-0.

keeganbrick
08-20-2008, 12:28 AM
Id Love to have Vlad but I think he has an option in his contract next yr and I dont think he would come here anyways. I would give him some big $$$ though.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-20-2008, 10:33 AM
if we dont start winning more of the 1 run games cueto and our starting pitchers throw.. they will lose all confidence in their teamates...

Nasty_Boy
08-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Well I would like to see that "small ball" offense start picking up the slack. If they aren't a HR team anymore they need to start bunting and stealing bases, but I guess that would require getting on base. These guys (especially BP and EE) are swinging from their heels. It's a terrible product... Walt has a ton of work to do.

elfmanvt07
08-20-2008, 11:56 AM
As much cause as there is for concern, this is one of the few years in my 23 years of existence that I'm actually excited about next year's team. Walt WILL make moves to improve this team, I guarantee it. We may not go .500 next year, but by the end of the year, we'll be playing good ball.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-20-2008, 12:28 PM
Well I would like to see that "small ball" offense start picking up the slack. If they aren't a HR team anymore they need to start bunting and stealing bases, but I guess that would require getting on base. These guys (especially BP and EE) are swinging from their heels. It's a terrible product... Walt has a ton of work to do.

They didnt use to swing like that.. i have a feeling a clubhouse influence.. or hitting coach named brook jacoby made them swing for the fences.. or maybe it was the batting him 3rd or 4th..

Nasty_Boy
08-20-2008, 12:44 PM
I think it's the 30-30 thing and the hitting "clean up" thing. Whatever it is he has to fix it. Because this offense can not survive with Brandon Phillips as its center piece.

thorn
08-20-2008, 12:47 PM
BP is fine, it's his spot in the batting order that needs changed. I highly doubt you could get an upgrade over BP this offseason, espically if you factor in his defense, which is among the best, if he batted 6th would anyone have a problem with him espically if you compared him to other 2B's in the league? If you call for young players then you need to be patient with them, they are going to look bad at times, but Bruce and Votto will grow tremendously from this year to next and 2010, just be patient. It's those that have been around several years the worry me, like EE, Kepp (Hopefully Gonzo will be back next year, no he's not an all-star but he is an upgrade and is signed, so we need to use him) and starting pitching is thin, we need to make a splash here somehow next year either via trade or FA, problem is we would need to dip into our minor leagues to do this as I don't think anyone on the current 25 roster will net anyting good, except these young guys (Bruce, Votto), which I don't think we should trade. Yep, walt has some decisions to make but some people think he's god, so he should have the team in the hunt next year, right?

Ghosts of 1990
08-20-2008, 12:56 PM
we need to throw big money at a middle of the order guy, preferrably the RH side. Vlad Guerrero would be nice in LF.

PTI (pti)
08-20-2008, 01:05 PM
we need to throw big money at a middle of the order guy, preferrably the RH side. Vlad Guerrero would be nice in LF.

Ted Williams would look good out there next year as well. I'm guessing that's about as likely as seeing Vlad in Cincinnati in '09, though.

With...

1> Harang
2> Volquez
3> Cueto
4> Arroyo

....you've got the makings of a very good staff. Now, will everyone stay healthy and pitch like they're capable of?? That remains to be seen.

But I don't think we need to score 6 runs/game next year to win. In my opinion, we just need a bunch of guys who can play good fundamental baseball, get on base with some regularity, and hope Votto and Bruce mature into big-time MLB players.

Wow. I'm *already* trying to convince myself that "next year" is the year. Seems like I've been doing that for two decades. :(

Brian
08-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Talking about this team's batting approach makes me long for Hatte and Conine. :)

Nasty_Boy
08-20-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm just not as optimistic as everyone about the development of players next season. Baseball is a tough game and I've see a lot of good prospects not make it or just be mediocer players. Votto may end up being good, but he also could be no more than what he has been this season. Why does everyone think Harang will return to form? He's thrown a huge amount of innings the past few seasons and some pitchers never regain their form after they breakdown. Bronson is a fine 5th starter. We have to cross our fingers that 2 rookie arms stay healthy and mature into top flight pitchers. Jay Bruce and his lack of strikezone command scares me, because you don't have to throw good pitches to get him out. Who knows if Edwin ever develops... BP is talented but he's an out machine with one of the worst plate approaches in baseball. There are big time concerns if Bruce and Votto don't become studs. And as long as Dusty thinks BP is a middle of the order hitter the Reds will continue to struggle to score runs. Not to mention the fact that we don't have a SS, CF, or C... Things are exactly looking up.

roby
08-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Ted Williams would look good out there next year as well. I'm guessing that's about as likely as seeing Vlad in Cincinnati in '09, though.

With...

1> Harang
2> Volquez
3> Cueto
4> Arroyo

....you've got the makings of a very good staff. Now, will everyone stay healthy and pitch like they're capable of?? That remains to be seen.

But I don't think we need to score 6 runs/game next year to win. In my opinion, we just need a bunch of guys who can play good fundamental baseball, get on base with some regularity, and hope Votto and Bruce mature into big-time MLB players.

Wow. I'm *already* trying to convince myself that "next year" is the year. Seems like I've been doing that for two decades. :(

And we'll all keep doing that as long as we give up on trying to get the BEST free agents into Cincinnati...whether it be Vladimir or Ted Williams or whoever!