PDA

View Full Version : cincy culture?

bounty37h
08-20-2008, 10:46 AM
ESPN was talking about the bungles picking up Henry this morning, and talking about what a terrible move it was, and said they werent surprised, mentioning the losing and horrible sports culture in Cincy that owners have set. What is it going to take for Cincy to overcome this kind of reputation brewing after such a succesful period in the 70's (dang thats a long time ago now!!!).

Ahhhorsepoo
08-20-2008, 11:25 AM
winning.......... no other answer will suffice here.. close the thread... winning is the only thing that will turn it around.. john kitna being nice didnt.. neither did brandon phillips smile or the dunn and griffey homers.. winning is all that will change that..

redsbuckeye
08-20-2008, 11:55 AM
winning.......... no other answer will suffice here.. close the thread... winning is the only thing that will turn it around.. john kitna being nice didnt.. neither did brandon phillips smile or the dunn and griffey homers.. winning is all that will change that..

What he said.

Brian
08-20-2008, 01:17 PM
I'd agree that winning is #1, but I'd also contend that hosting highly visible events helps too. Things like the Masters Series tennis tournament, the women's final four, even the sand vollyball tour. Nationally televised events like those really cast the city well and generally elevate the image.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-20-2008, 02:41 PM
brian brian brian.. highly visible means people watch it....

lets be honest.. tennis tourney doesnt get much play.. and isnt even in cincinnati...

sand volleyball and the womens final 4... outside of knoxville and storrs connecticut, there might be 40,000 people watching that..

upgrade that to the mens final 4 if UC gets a new arena.. and watch UC's football and you might be on to something.. but those 3.. hardly going to do anything..

Red in Atl
08-20-2008, 03:22 PM
Winning yes, no doubt about it.

But don't look to ESPN as any type of expert on this. They are the biggest fair weather fans of all time. Are you going to tell me Tampa Bay has some great city behind it? Please, that place is a dump just waiting to be swallowed by the Gulf.

Cincy's problems are all brought on by the team ownwers. From what I've read, Mike Brown brought back Henry, overriding Marvin Lewis. This guy has been ruining the Bengals since PB died. He gets a brief reprive for hiring Lewis and letting him handle things. Until Marvin does something Brown thinks is wrong. I mean Henry wasn't even that good of a number 3 last year. Is he going to somehow miraculously see the light? I would have let him go for good after arrest number 2.

And Castellini was doing just fine until he fired Krivsky. I'm not saying Wayne should still be the GM, as I think Walt is one of the finest in baseball. But it's the way they do it. The timing. The reasoning. The handling. All done with very little class or true explanation to the fans. This goes for both franchises.

I've lived in Atlanta for the last 15 years, after growing up in Dayton from elementary through college (MU). I lived in Boston for two years. Atlanta is a lot like Cincy on the football side. Doesn't matter which nitwit family member is running the team, they just can't get it right.

The whole Vick signing was just stunning and assinine. Highest paid, or close to it, for a guy with a lifelong 80 passer rating or something. His character flaws were not new either when they signed him. Now they are screwed for years.

Boston has great fans. They may complain about the team, but they support it no matter what. Merchandising, TV rights and full houses allow those team owners to put the best talent they can find on the playing field every year.

One more losing season for the Bengals and they will clean house. Start over again, with a new coach. And the process will continue. As long as these teams make money, and don't think they aren't, their prospective owners are laughing all the way to the bank.

Kind of like how politicians campaign. They have the plans to fix everything before getting elected. But after, they have too long a list to thank for getting elected and no time to fix anything.