PDA

View Full Version : FYI - Weathers cleared waivers

Will M
08-20-2008, 11:53 AM
According to mlbtraderumors.com

Why the Reds didn't trade him prior to July 31rst and why he cleared waivers are both a bit of a mystery to me.

Unassisted
08-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Why the Reds didn't trade him prior to July 31rst and why he cleared waivers are both a bit of a mystery to me.

Seems to me like the latter explains the former. Now you're down to one mystery. ;)

puca
08-20-2008, 12:00 PM
According to mlbtraderumors.com

Because he isn't that valuable of a commodity.

Smoke and mirrors pitchers usually aren't. Does he get buy on guile and guts or is it mostly luck at this point? I think the rest of baseball has spoken.

KoryMac5
08-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Shocked the Mets didn't put a claim in on him, Weathers could provide some bullpen relief until Wagner gets back.

redsmetz
08-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Is it really that unusual for a player not to be traded by the deadline and still clear waivers? I think this is essentially a run of the mill situation, much ado about nothing. He could still be moved since he's cleared waivers.

Will M
08-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Weathers had a rough April and May. Since June 1rst he has been very good.
ERA ~2.5 and WHIP ~1.3 despite pitching in front of the Reds 'defense'.

Will M
08-20-2008, 12:33 PM
He could still be moved since he's cleared waivers.

yep. and he should be. the rebuilding Reds of 2009 don't need a 39 year old reliever yet a team in the thick of a pennant race in 2008 could.

nate
08-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Well, now they can trade him to anyone if they want.

Maybe they don't want to though.

RedsManRick
08-20-2008, 12:51 PM
A trade of Weathers for a PTBNL and a promotion of Roenicke or Herrera is almost too obvious.

I hadn't looked in a while, but Danny Ra is really dominating. 50.1 IP, 1.79 ERA, 47 K, 9 BB, 38 H, 2 HR. I know he's probably just a short (pardon the pun), middle relief guy, but he clearly doesn't need any more seasoning.

Ramon A. Ramirez has also done pretty well for himself. I'm not real familiar with him -- it looks like we signed him as a 6 year minor league FA. But he's been quite solid. I'd definitely like to see some of these guys in Cincy come September.

Team Clark
08-20-2008, 12:52 PM
A trade of Weathers for a PTBNL and a promotion of Roenicke is almost too obvious.

as well as NEEDED! I would go to the park to watch Roenicke pitch.

New Fever
08-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Why trade him for nothing, when he's worth comp picks in next years draft.

Chip R
08-20-2008, 01:03 PM
yep. and he should be. the rebuilding Reds of 2009 don't need a 39 year old reliever yet a team in the thick of a pennant race in 2008 could.

I agree. But they will say they need him around for leadership purposes.

RedsManRick
08-20-2008, 01:10 PM

Assuming you're willing to risk arbitration. Odds are he'd take it. I'd rather flip him for a prospect and let somebody else offer him arb. If they're willing to offer him arb and get the comp pick if he walks, we should be able to get a halfway decent prospect out it.

PuffyPig
08-20-2008, 01:33 PM

Pretty risky offering arbitration to guy who likely won't get a multi-year contract from anyone, and would get quite a bit more in arbitration than he will on the open market.

I wish everyone would remember that you have to offer arbitration to be eligible for draft picks. And how that can effect the decision.

HokieRed
08-20-2008, 01:36 PM
I don't think there's the slightest chance we'd offer arbitration to Weathers. Therefore he walks, we get no comp. His clearing waivers means exactly what it seems: no contender thought he was an upgrade for their bullpen.

PuffyPig
08-20-2008, 01:46 PM
I don't think there's the slightest chance we'd offer arbitration to Weathers. Therefore he walks, we get no comp. His clearing waivers means exactly what it seems: no contender thought he was an upgrade for their bullpen.

Most players clear waivers. That doesn't mean no one wants him. Weathers would improve pretty much any bullpen in baseball. He's certainly better than the worst pitcher on every team in baseball.

If teams routinely claimed players (even if a deal isn't in place), it would effect every team's ability to do these types of deals. So, you only see stars claimed for the most part. Marginal upgrades like Weathers are almost never claimed, but sometimes traded.

REDREAD
08-20-2008, 02:23 PM
No point in trading Weathers for pure chaff either.

Why give a contender free help? Granted, Weathers isn't the greatest reliever, but as some have said, he's a marginal improvement to any staff.

If nobody offers anything interesting for Weathers, we might as well just keep him. There's going to be plenty of bullpen innings that need eating.

IslandRed
08-20-2008, 02:36 PM
From a potential claiming team's perspective, the other thing to consider is this: The Reds are going nowhere and Weathers is 39 and about to be a free agent. I'd have to consider the very strong possibility the Reds would say "fine, take him," and I'd have to pick up a million bucks or so. If Weathers was a closer or lights-out setup guy, then fine, but for a generic decent middle reliever, I'd rather try to find a better deal.

RedsManRick
08-20-2008, 02:41 PM
From a potential claiming team's perspective, the other thing to consider is this: The Reds are going nowhere and Weathers is 39 and about to be a free agent. I'd have to consider the very strong possibility the Reds would say "fine, take him," and I'd have to pick up a million bucks or so. If Weathers was a closer or lights-out setup guy, then fine, but for a generic decent middle reliever, I'd rather try to find a better deal.

The issue is that there aren't really better deals out there. A million bucks is really a drop in the bucket if it could mean the difference between the playoffs and staying home. Of course, the bigger issue is that at this point, there are only a small handful of teams who are in the hunt and need the bullpen help and adding somebody via a claim means not only making room on the 25 man but dropping somebody from the 40 man roster.

IslandRed
08-20-2008, 02:53 PM
I was thinking more in terms of the typical "we'll kick in a prospect and you pick up most of the money" sort of "better deal." For some teams a million bucks is pocket change but for others, particularly ones that have already tapped out the 2008 budget, that sort of deal is easier than going to ownership and asking for more money. ;)

NDRed
08-21-2008, 01:11 AM
To say no contender wants him- well, thats hard to believe. I'm sure the Reds will have offers to take him off their hands.

Alot of factors involved, but I bet many will be pleasently surprised but what we get for Weathers when we flip him.

In the last 4 years with Cincinnati (hard to call that all "luck") he has never had an ERA over 4, 60 saves - none this year- and 70 high pressure innings per year.

RedLegSuperStar
08-21-2008, 09:34 AM
I don't want to beat a dead horse but just because Weathers wasn't claimed doesn't mean nobody wants him. Nobody put a claim on Aubrey Huff and he's been amazing this year. I could see Stormy being dealt for a PTBNL. That would be fine with me because that would be Roenicke or Herrera would hopefully get the call up.

blumj
08-21-2008, 10:16 AM
I think some people have a strange idea how waivers work. There are loads of players on waivers at the same time. You just can't go around claiming everyone who might be useful.

Kc61
08-21-2008, 10:23 AM
I find it remarkable -- and have for the last three years -- how anxious some people are to give away David Weathers. I know he is an older reliever. I know that he doesn't throw particularly hard. I've seen him have bad outings. I don't think he can pitch multiple innings well. I get all that.

But for one inning, at any point in the game, Weathers still is remarkably consistent. If there is one long-standing veteran relief pitcher the Red should keep it is Weathers. Even a young, rebuilding team needs a few solid veterans to help show the way and stabilize things when they aren't going well.

Would I trade Weathers for a good prospect? Yes. Would I trade him for a borderline prospect or worse? No.

Sea Ray
08-21-2008, 11:12 AM

Money's no consideration here. Weathers only makes $2.75mill as it is. Pro-rated that means no more than $500,000 for another team to deal with

Sea Ray
08-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Would I trade Weathers for a good prospect? Yes. Would I trade him for a borderline prospect or worse? No.

I agree with you. Weathers is contributing and you don't give away guys like that. He's very durable and he's a good influence on an otherwise very young bullpen.

PuffyPig
08-21-2008, 11:19 AM

If all the Reds wanted to do was dump his salary, they could have traded him a hundred times all ready.

To suggest that it's a very strong possibility that the Reds would let a claiming team keep him for nothing doesn't hold much water.

fearofpopvol1
08-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Assuming you're willing to risk arbitration. Odds are he'd take it. I'd rather flip him for a prospect and let somebody else offer him arb. If they're willing to offer him arb and get the comp pick if he walks, we should be able to get a halfway decent prospect out it.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd take the risk.