PDA

View Full Version : Welcome back Adam Rosales - Hairston to DL

Danny Serafini
08-20-2008, 03:22 PM
Per team press notes. Hairston goes on retroactive to Monday with his strained hamstring.

OnBaseMachine
08-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Nice. Maybe Rosales can actually get some starts this time? Rosales has been red hot lately, check out his last eight games in AAA:

3-for-5 two doubles
4-for-5 double, homerun
2-for-4 triple
2-for-4 walk
3-for-5 two doubles, homerun
2-for-5 double
3-for-5 homerun
3-for-6

Matt700wlw
08-20-2008, 03:26 PM
Nice. Maybe Rosales can actually get some starts this time?

Where's Patterson supposed to play? :p:

RedsManRick
08-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Where's Patterson supposed to play? :p:

Newark.

edabbs44
08-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Newark.

I heard ARod has a spare bed.

oneupper
08-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Nice. Maybe Rosales can actually get some starts this time? Rosales has been red hot lately, check out his last eight games in AAA:

3-for-5 two doubles
4-for-5 double, homerun
2-for-4 triple
2-for-4 walk
2-for-5 double
3-for-5 homerun
3-for-6

Only ONE Walk?

Big Klu
08-20-2008, 03:35 PM
I suspected that somthing was wrong Sunday when Jolbert Cabrera pinch-hit for Hairston in the seventh inning. You wouldn't expect Hairston to be pinch-hit for, especially with another right-handed hitter.

WVRedsFan
08-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Yep, we all speculated that was the case. More reason not to offer him a contract. He is injury prone, i believe.

Chip R
08-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Hariston on the DL again? I'm shocked, shocked to find out he's back on the DL.

Spring~Fields
08-20-2008, 03:43 PM

3-for-5 two doubles
4-for-5 double, homerun
2-for-4 triple
2-for-4 walk
2-for-5 double
3-for-5 homerun
3-for-6

I would like to see if he can contribute to the team or not. I suppose with the division title on the line that the manager will have to keep playing his scrappy productive regulars though.

reds44
08-20-2008, 03:51 PM
Dickerson CF
Keppinger SS
Bruce RF
Phillips 2B
Votto 1B
Encarnacion 3B
Rosales LF
Hanigan C

Hey I can dream, right?

Spring~Fields
08-20-2008, 03:51 PM

It's frustrating that they appeared to have made some type of error with him, I mean the determination as to whether he was well and ready or not to play.

princeton
08-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Hairston needed to stay healthy for a month so that we could have traded him. He's been worthless to us.

Rosales takes a while to get used to a new level. he might struggle, but it'd be nice to see the Reds stick with him, in case they've got something there.

Spring~Fields
08-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Dickerson CF
Keppinger SS
Bruce RF
Phillips 2B
Votto 1B
Encarnacion 3B
Rosales LF
Hanigan C

Hey I can dream, right?

Right !!
Switch the very young rookie Bruce in the order with Encarncion and I will dream along with you. I would just like to see less pressure and expectation on Bruce the rest of the season.

reds44
08-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Right !!
Switch the very young rookie Bruce in the order with Encarncion and I will dream along with you. I would just like to see less pressure and expectation on Bruce the rest of the season.
Well I really wouldn't want Keppinger batting 2nd either, but I was just trying to find the most realistic thing to hope for.

Big Klu
Yep, we all speculated that was the case. More reason not to offer him a contract. He is injury prone, i believe.

It would appear that Ryan Freel and Jerry Hairston Jr. are two peas in a pod--both in their skill set and their durability.

Chip R
It's frustrating that they appeared to have made some type of error with him, I mean the determination as to whether he was well and ready or not to play.

It's like the fellow who goes to the all you can eat buffet and winds up with a stomach ache. His eyes were bigger than his stomach. In this case everybody's desire to get him back in the lineup ASAP, including his own, did him more harm than good.

Spring~Fields
08-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Well I really wouldn't want Keppinger batting 2nd either, but I was just trying to find the most realistic thing to hope for.

:) I am laughing at myself after your comment here, it is like, yeah, I keep looking at the list of players and I keep wanting to put all of them in the 6-7-8 holes at the same time, somehow it doesn't work out. ;)

Spring~Fields
08-20-2008, 04:13 PM
Rosales takes a while to get used to a new level. he might struggle, but it'd be nice to see the Reds stick with him, in case they've got something there.

Yes.

I just think that these remaining games could be vauable in making those kind of determinations vs. spring training and the minors to date. It might be the only good thing that can come from a losing season, a real opportunity to see what a player can do against major league pitching and defense.

lollipopcurve
08-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Play him.

MrCinatit
08-20-2008, 04:37 PM
It would appear that Ryan Freel and Jerry Hairston Jr. are two peas in a pod--both in their skill set and their durability.

Have those two played on the field yet? Because I have a feeling the injury matrix which would result could result in simultaneous injuries throughout the entire stadium.

bucksfan2
08-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Play him.

Why, Corey Patterson is on the team!

Rojo
08-20-2008, 04:55 PM

I'd see little reason to offer him a contract if Free's ready to play.

Either one would be an ok pairing with Dickerson, if no other CF options open up. Neither has big lefty-right splits but both would likely improve on Dickerson vs. lefties.

And they both have better first half numbers. Given less playing time in a platoon, you might get something out of 'em.

Big Klu
08-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Have those two played on the field yet? Because I have a feeling the injury matrix which would result could result in simultaneous injuries throughout the entire stadium.

Freel and Hairston have both started in the same game 11 times:

4/25 at SF
1. Freel cf
2. Hairston 2b

4/27 at SF
1. Hairston rf
7. Freel lf

5/10 at NYM (2nd gm)
1. Freel cf
2. Hairston 2b

5/13 vs. FLO
1. Freel cf
6. Hairston rf

5/16 vs. CLE
1. Freel cf
2. Hairston ss

5/19 at LA
1. Freel 3b
7. Hairston ss

5/23 at SD
1. Freel 3b
6. Hairston ss

5/24 at SD
1. Freel 3b
6. Hairston cf

5/29 vs. PIT
1. Freel cf
2. Hairston ss

6/2 at PHI
1. Hairston ss
2. Freel cf

6/3 at PHI
1. Hairston ss
2. Freel cf

TeamBoone
08-20-2008, 05:06 PM

I don't think he's necessarily injury prone. I'm more inclined to believe the Reds didn't give him long enough to fully recover. Seems they kept pushing the envelop with him.

Strikes Out Looking
08-20-2008, 05:53 PM
I don't think he's necessarily injury prone. I'm more inclined to believe the Reds didn't give him long enough to fully recover. Seems they kept pushing the envelop with him.

I wonder how the clearance process actually works for the Reds. It wasn't a state secret that he wasn't 100 percent when they took him off the dl--and then he got hurt his first game back. I think some changes need to made here with the Reds as they don't seem real good about reading the extent of injuries.

Chip R
08-20-2008, 06:04 PM

He wasn't exactly the picture of health before he came over here. That pretty much means he's injury prone.

Far East
08-20-2008, 06:10 PM
I'd see little reason to offer him a contract if Free's ready to play.

Either one would be an ok pairing with Dickerson, if no other CF options open up. ..

But Hairston is a better base runner (at least smarter), better OFer, better IFer, and has proven that he actually can hold his own at SS, as opposed to Freel's only being an extreme emergency guy who could stand at the SS position in a pinch.

oregonred
08-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Hairston and Freel are scrappy. Very scrappy during their multiple DL stints, sub .700 OPS careers and especially in rehabilitation sessions with medical personnel.

But hey, Marty and the casual fan loves 'em nevertheless.

Hopefully this ends any thoughts by Walt of bringing Hairston back in 2009 unless it's a bargain basement 1 yr deal as a utility-man.

LincolnparkRed
08-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Per team press notes. Hairston goes on retroactive to Monday with his strained hamstring.

He was in the Mitchell Report correct. maybe these muscle and joint problems are a preview of his future

Spring~Fields
08-20-2008, 07:23 PM

August 20, 2008 Placed on 15-day DL (Strained right hamstring)
August 01, 2008 Recalled from minors rehab
August 01, 2008 Removed from 15-day DL
July 29, 2008 Sent to minors for rehabilitation
July 17, 2008 Placed on 15-day DL (Strained right hamstring)
June 26, 2008 Recalled from minors rehab
June 26, 2008 Removed from 15-day DL
June 23, 2008 Sent to minors for rehabilitation
June 10, 2008 Placed on 15-day DL (Fractured left thumb)
August 29, 2007 Removed from 15-day DL
August 09, 2007 Placed on 15-day DL (Lower back soreness)
June 05, 2007 Recalled from minors rehab
June 05, 2007 Removed from 15-day DL
May 26, 2007 Sent to minors for rehabilitation
May 19, 2007 Placed on 15-day DL (Pinched nerve in neck)
August 19, 2005 Recalled from minors rehab
August 19, 2005 Removed from 15-day DL
August 13, 2005 Sent to minors for rehabilitation
August 04, 2005 Placed on 15-day DL (Left elbow ligament injury)
September 07, 2004 Transferred to 60-day DL
September 06, 2004 Transferred to 60-day DL
August 18, 2004 Placed on 15-day DL (Fractured left ankle)
May 11, 2004 Recalled from minors rehab
May 11, 2004 Removed from 15-day DL
May 05, 2004 Sent to minors for rehabilitation
April 03, 2004 Placed on 15-day DL (Fractured right ring finger)
January 20, 2004 Signed with Baltimore Orioles
September 04, 2003 Recalled from minors rehab
August 26, 2003 Sent to minors for rehabilitation

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/news?playerId=3966

Rojo
08-20-2008, 07:28 PM
But Hairston is a better base runner (at least smarter), better OFer, better IFer, and has proven that he actually can hold his own at SS, as opposed to Freel's only being an extreme emergency guy who could stand at the SS position in a pinch.

Ok, he's better. But Freel's under contract for 2009.

OnBaseMachine
08-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Rosales returns as Hairston lands on DL
Infielder gets chance to play in front of hometown crowd
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Sent back to Triple-A Louisville by the Reds over the weekend, infielder Adam Rosales never expected to be surrounded this week by the ivy walls of Wrigley Field, the ballpark he frequented as a young Cubs fan.

But in a twist of fate on Wednesday, Rosales was recalled when Jerry Hairston Jr. went back on the 15-day disabled list because of a sore right hamstring. Players usually must wait 10 days to return to the Majors after being sent down, except when there's an injury.

Rosales made his big league debut last week while Joey Votto was on the bereavement list and went 1-for-5 -- all in pinch-hitting appearances. In the visitors' clubhouse while being welcomed back by Reds teammates on Wednesday, Rosales couldn't stop grinning. He grew up in nearby Park Ridge, Ill., and attended Maine High School.

"I was hoping they would keep me around the extra few days so I could make it to Wrigley Field," Rosales said. "This is my heaven on Earth. Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Jerome Walton, Luis Salazar, Doug Dascenzo ... I can name all of them. These were my heroes growing up with the Cubbies. I'm bleeding Reds right now, though."

In 115 games for Louisville, Rosales is batting .289 with 11 home runs and 58 RBIs. He had three hits and two RBIs for the Bats in a win on Tuesday to extend his Triple-A hitting streak to nine games.

"It was good to be back in Louisville, though, to keep learning," Rosales said. "It's exciting to be in that [International League] race."

Hairston was batting .338 in 63 games this season, but has missed most of the second half with the same hamstring injury. He returned from the DL on Aug. 1 but has been limited to only three starts since as the injury hadn't fully recovered.

"You hate to see Jerry going down," manager Dusty Baker said. "It'd get better and it'd get worse. Finally, we had to DL him."

Baker didn't commit to giving Rosales more playing time during his second big league stint, but hoped to get him in a game during the Cubs series.

"I'll try to work him in the right situation, right time and right place," Baker said. "At this point, you'd be substituting one young guy for another young guy. I'll try to get him at-bats, especially in Chicago. I like to have guys play in their hometown."

Rosales, who drove to the ballpark from his parents' house on Wednesday, scrambled to get 32 tickets for friends and family to watch him play.

"I had to squeeze them in," Rosales said. "There are a lot of people that wanted to come. It's going to be expensive, but to me, this is priceless. You can't put a price on a ticket."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080820&content_id=3339784&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

reds44
08-20-2008, 10:43 PM
"I'll try to work him in the right situation, right time and right place," Baker said. "At this point, you'd be substituting one young guy for another young guy. I'll try to get him at-bats, especially in Chicago. I like to have guys play in their hometown."

Unless you take out Cabrera or Keppinger.

Spring~Fields
08-21-2008, 12:31 AM

The division race is going right down to the wire for the Reds, gee, they are all so irreplaceable for a game or two right now. :)

I guess we all can relax about September callups now, since the manager won't be able to find them a place to play or playing time, what good would it be to have September callups under the difficult circumstances?

Spring~Fields
08-21-2008, 02:58 PM
Rosales returns as Hairston lands on DL
Infielder gets chance to play in front of hometown crowd

Baker didn't commit to giving Rosales more playing time during his second big league stint, but hoped to get him in a game during the Cubs series.

"I'll try to work him in the right situation, right time and right place," Baker said. "At this point, you'd be substituting one young guy for another young guy.

C. Dickerson lf
J. Keppinger ss
J. Bruce rf
B. Phillips 2b
J. Votto 1b
E. Encarnacion 3b
C. Patterson cf
P. Bako c

OnBaseMachine
08-21-2008, 03:00 PM
C. Dickerson lf
J. Keppinger ss
J. Bruce rf
B. Phillips 2b
J. Votto 1b
E. Encarnacion 3b
C. Patterson cf
P. Bako c

Doesn't surprise me, Dusty has proven himself to be a liar.

BRM
08-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Put him in LF with Dickerson in CF or just let him play SS. I can't imagine he has even less range than Keppinger.

Will M
08-21-2008, 03:04 PM
C. Dickerson lf
J. Keppinger ss
J. Bruce rf
B. Phillips 2b
J. Votto 1b
E. Encarnacion 3b
C. Patterson cf
P. Bako c

this is REALLY REALLY starting to piss me off.

Rosales has pinch hit six times. We are platooning Patterson/Cabrera over Rosales. When Votto was out Javy played. We have no idea what Rosales can do and yet Dusty sits him in favor of junky players who won't be back.
Absolutely stupid.

Bako gets playing time over Hanigan. Again, stupid.

I have tried to give Dusty the benefit of the doubt but count me as one of the legion of Dusty haters ( not as a person , just as a manager )

Spring~Fields
08-21-2008, 03:07 PM
Doesn't surprise me, Dusty has proven himself to be a liar.

I would have used the word embellishes or prevaricates to placate the Baker supporters.

embellishes
add false details to something: to make an account or description more interesting by inventing or exaggerating details
prevaricates
get out of telling truth: to avoid giving a direct and honest answer or opinion, or a clear and truthful account of a situation, especially by quibbling or being deliberately ambiguous or misleading

Spring~Fields
08-21-2008, 03:17 PM
We have no idea what Rosales can do and yet Dusty sits him in favor of junky players who won't be back.
Absolutely stupid.

August 21, 2008
Cincinnati 56 71 .441 21.5 games behind
127 games played
with 35 games remaining

35 games
A golden opportunity to see what other players can do or cannot do, a chance to gain experience, a chance to maybe add value to some players, a chance for the younger players to face major league talent when the major league pitching is up to full speed vs a time in the minors or limited spring training. And here Baker is still auditioning Bako and Patterson for next year, they already know what Phillips, Encarncion and Keppinger can or cannot do. While a day off would not hurt Bruce either.

RedsManRick
08-21-2008, 03:23 PM
this is REALLY REALLY starting to piss me off.

Rosales has pinch hit six times. We are platooning Patterson/Cabrera over Rosales. When Votto was out Javy played. We have no idea what Rosales can do and yet Dusty sits him in favor of junky players who won't be back.
Absolutely stupid.

I have tried to give Dusty the benefit of the doubt but count me as one of the legion of Dusty haters ( not as a person , just as a manager )

The problem, as (I assume) Dusty sees it, is that he doesn't want to bench a "regular" (EE, Keppinger, Phillips, Votto) and doesn't see Rosales as anything but an IF. So by finding the right time, he means an excuse to give one of those guys the day off.

The answer of course is to play Rosales, Votto, and EE in LF, 3B, and 1B in some combination or to simply bench Keppinger, the least established guy (who the Reds need to continue to vet). However, that would require some risk and creativity. Dusty values making his players happy, as we've seen ad nauseum, and would not want to make EE or Votto uncomfortable. That puts Rosales in LF, and I'm not sure he's played out there.

Dusty is the wrong manager for every team, but this team in particular. I'm hoping desperately for a mutual buy out of his last two seasons.

Spring~Fields
08-21-2008, 03:35 PM
The problem, as (I assume) Dusty sees it, is that he doesn't want to bench a "regular" (EE, Keppinger, Phillips, Votto) and doesn't see Rosales as anything but an IF. So by finding the right time, he means an excuse to give one of those guys the day off.

The answer of course is to play Rosales, Votto, and EE in LF, 3B, and 1B in some combination or to simply bench Keppinger, the least established guy (who the Reds need to continue to vet). However, that would require some risk and creativity. Dusty values making his players happy, as we've seen ad nauseum, and would not want to make EE or Votto uncomfortable. That puts Rosales in LF, and I'm not sure he's played out there.

Dusty is the wrong manager for every team, but this team in particular. I'm hoping desperately for a mutual buy out of his last two seasons.

I think that he just has an aversion to younger players, and that he wants a team of time tested proven veterans that are league average or above. Problem is the Reds don’t have that and probably could not afford that, in addition to it taking significant time to achieve or acquire those, so in the mean time Baker does not position the player resources that he does have available to utilize them to the best of his ability to place them where they might succeed.

We are seeing what he would do with the September callups, so that will be more lost opportunity, tangible or intangible.

Sea Ray
08-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Only ONE Walk?

If you're getting 2 to 4 hits a game why leave the bat on your shoulder?

reds44
08-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Dickerson CF
Keppinger SS
Bruce RF
Phillips 2B
Votto 1B
Encarnacion 3B
Rosales LF
Hanigan C

What is so hard?

Spring~Fields
08-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Dickerson CF
Keppinger SS
Bruce RF
Phillips 2B
Votto 1B
Encarnacion 3B
Rosales LF
Hanigan C

What is so hard?

Dickerson CF
Phillips 2B
Encarnacion 1B
Votto LF
Keppinger SS
Bruce RF
Rosales 3B
Hanigan C

Nothing :)

other than old-timer stubborn thinking.

oregonred
08-21-2008, 04:53 PM
August 20, 2008 Placed on 15-day DL (Strained right hamstring)
August 01, 2008 Recalled from minors rehab
August 01, 2008 Removed from 15-day DL
July 29, 2008 Sent to minors for rehabilitation
July 17, 2008 Placed on 15-day DL (Strained right hamstring)
June 26, 2008 Recalled from minors rehab
June 26, 2008 Removed from 15-day DL
June 23, 2008 Sent to minors for rehabilitation
June 10, 2008 Placed on 15-day DL (Fractured left thumb)
August 29, 2007 Removed from 15-day DL
August 09, 2007 Placed on 15-day DL (Lower back soreness)
June 05, 2007 Recalled from minors rehab
June 05, 2007 Removed from 15-day DL
May 26, 2007 Sent to minors for rehabilitation
May 19, 2007 Placed on 15-day DL (Pinched nerve in neck)
August 19, 2005 Recalled from minors rehab
August 19, 2005 Removed from 15-day DL
August 13, 2005 Sent to minors for rehabilitation
August 04, 2005 Placed on 15-day DL (Left elbow ligament injury)
September 07, 2004 Transferred to 60-day DL
September 06, 2004 Transferred to 60-day DL
August 18, 2004 Placed on 15-day DL (Fractured left ankle)
May 11, 2004 Removed from 15-day DL
April 03, 2004 Placed on 15-day DL (Fractured right ring finger)
January 20, 2004 Signed with Baltimore Orioles
September 04, 2003 Recalled from minors rehab
August 26, 2003 Sent to minors for rehabilitation

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/news?playerId=3966

LOL. If that was a carfax report and Hairston were a vehicle then he would be a certified lemon and have salvage branded on his title.

Can't think Walt's going to be bringing back fragile and easily replacement secondary parts in 2009. He won't go for marginal guys that can't be counted on throughout the season.

Spring~Fields
08-21-2008, 05:08 PM
LOL. If that was a carfax report and Hairston were a vehicle then he would be a certified lemon and have salvage branded on his title.

:lol:
That was good !!

Chip R
08-21-2008, 05:24 PM
:lol:
That was good !!

Agreed. :lol:

Big Klu
08-21-2008, 06:44 PM

With today being a day game after a night game, I was OK with Bako catching this afternoon, since Hanigan caught last night. I don't like having the same catcher start two games, when the second one starts only 16 hours after the first one ended.

Will M
08-22-2008, 03:12 PM
With today being a day game after a night game, I was OK with Bako catching this afternoon, since Hanigan caught last night. I don't like having the same catcher start two games, when the second one starts only 16 hours after the first one ended.

ok but Hanigan should be catching 5 games a week with Bako filling in when he needs a day off.

Spring~Fields
08-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Adam Rosales
2005 22 TOT .325 .388 .558 .946
BIL PIO Rk CIN .321 .396 .529 .925
DTN MWL A CIN .328 .378 .590 .968
2006 23 TOT .250 .328 .398 .726
DTN MWL A CIN .270 .328 .419 .747
SAR FSL A+ CIN .213 .329 .361 .690
2007 24 TOT .286 .385 .519 .904
SAR FSL A+ CIN .294 .393 .488 .881
CNG SOU AA CIN .278 .377 .549 .926
2008 25 LOU INT AAA CIN .289 .341 .468 .809

Position Totals
SS 125 games
1B 125
3B 67
2B 9
LF 2
DH 21

http://minors.baseball-reference.com/players.cgi?pid=12647

GAC
08-22-2008, 10:01 PM

Freel got tired of playing solitaire. Those paper cuts were prolonging his stay on the DL.

OnBaseMachine
08-25-2008, 12:19 PM
WHY NOT ROSALES? Jeff Keppinger was out of the lineup Sunday.

Jolbert Cabrera started in Keppinger's spot and batted second. It would have seemed to be a perfect spot for Adam Rosales to get his first start.

Rosales is in his second stint with the Reds. But his seven appearances have all been as a pinch-hitter.

"He hasn't played that much shortstop," Baker said. "I'll get him in there. I want to put him in where he's comfortable."

Rosales played 25 games at shortstop for Triple-A Louisville. Rosales, 25, came up as a shortstop. He played there his first two years in the Reds system.

He played mostly first base last season as he recovered from "Tommy John" surgery in 2006.

While the Reds are in the midst of a youth movement, Baker continues to play veterans. Paul Bako started the last two games at catcher. Corey Patterson started the last three in center field.

The reasoning: In Bako's case, Baker wants him to catch Edinson Volquez and Johnny Cueto. In Patterson's case, Baker wanted someone to cover the huge gaps at Coors Field.

"You want to put the best team out there defensively and offensively," he said.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080825/SPT04/808250362/1071

OnBaseMachine
08-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Someone needs to tell Dusty that Rosales played shortstop all throughout college, and he played shortstop his first two years in the Reds system and was forced to move off SS in 2007 because of an arm injury. I remember back in spring training when Dusty was saying Rosales was impressing folks with his SS defense, but now Dusty says he's not comfortable at SS despite that being his primary position throughout his young career.

RedsManRick
08-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Dusty isn't anti-youth. But he clearly has a bit of paranoia about making guys uncomfortable. I have to wonder if maybe he wasn't rushed a bit as a player and doesn't want to put his guys through the same thing.

oneupper
08-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Dusty isn't anti-youth. But he clearly has a bit of paranoia about making guys uncomfortable. I have to wonder if maybe he wasn't rushed a bit as a player and doesn't want to put his guys through the same thing.

Dusty wasn't rushed. He was called up late a few times and sat on the bench for a while, before being handed a full time CF job at age 23 (he responded with an excellent season).

I still think he is of the "pay your dues" philosophy, simply because he probably believes he paid his.

Spring~Fields
08-25-2008, 02:44 PM
While the Reds are in the midst of a youth movement, Baker continues to play veterans. Paul Bako started the last two games at catcher. Corey Patterson started the last three in center field.

"You want to put the best team out there defensively and offensively," he said.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080825/SPT04/808250362/1071

Fundamental miscues negate opportunities
Walk-off homer ends day filled with giveaways

By John Fay

DENVER - How ugly was the Reds' 4-3 loss to the Colorado Rockies Sunday?

This ugly:

The Reds made five errors.

They were caught stealing twice.

They had a balk.

They made two wild pitches and had a passed ball.

"We gave them the first three runs," Reds manager Dusty Baker said.

He's right.

Only one hit was involved in the Rockies' first three runs. On two of the three, the runner reached and scored on an error.

The miscues allowed the Rockies to come back from a 3-1 deficit and force extra innings.

They finally won it four hours and 24 minutes after it started on Omar Quintanilla's home run in the 12th off Mike Lincoln, the Reds' seventh pitcher of the day.

"I wanted in down and away," Lincoln said. "It was down and in."

The end came quickly after a long, hard day for the Reds. Starter Johnny Cueto lasted only three innings before leaving with right elbow stiffness. Closer Francisco Cordero wasn't even at the park. He left the club to attend to a personal matter.

Reds CEO Bob Castellini watched it all from the seats just behind the Reds' dugout. He left quickly afterward.

The Reds gave a clue of what kind of day this would be in the first.

Scott Podsednik reached on Joey Votto's error. Cueto walked the next two hitters. Garrett Atkins popped one into shallow right. Jay Bruce made a long run but it went off his glove for an error - allowing a run to score.

The Reds tied it in the second. Votto doubled, went to third on Edwin Encarnacion's single, and scored on Corey Patterson's fielder's choice.

The Reds took the lead in the fifth. Encarnacion walked and went to third on Patterson's bunt single and pitcher Ubaldo Jimenez's throwing error. Paul Bako got Encarnacion home with a sacrifice fly.

Chris Dickerson made it 3-1 with his second home run in as many games.

The Rockies scored one in the seventh. Matt Holliday singled off Gary Majewski. Jeremy Affeldt came in and struck out Brad Hawpe and Garrett Atkins, but as he was doing so Holliday stole second, stole third and scored on a wild pitch.

It stayed 3-2 until the ninth. Last year's closer, David Weathers, came on.

Holliday started the inning with a groundball that Weathers deflected. Brandon Phillips fielded it, bobbled and had no play.

Weathers then balked Holliday to second.

"I didn't see the balk," Baker said. "Nobody did. They said he flinched."

It was Weathers' first balk since 2003 and fifth in his 17-year big league career.

Brad Hawpe followed with a fly ball to right. Jay Bruce threw to third to try to get Holliday. The ball bounced into the dugout, allowing Holliday to score.

Weathers got out of it from there.

It stayed tied until the 12th.

The Reds are 2-4 on the road trip. Three of the four losses are by one run.

"We've had opportunities," Baker said. "But we can't get that big hit, especially with two outs. We're not very good at that lately."

He could have left the "at that" out of that sentence.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080825/SPT04/808250360/1071

Spring~Fields
08-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Someone needs to tell Dusty that Rosales played shortstop all throughout college, and he played shortstop his first two years in the Reds system and was forced to move off SS in 2007 because of an arm injury. I remember back in spring training when Dusty was saying Rosales was impressing folks with his SS defense, but now Dusty says he's not comfortable at SS despite that being his primary position throughout his young career.

Rosales hit right handed pitching in the minors, that is something that the Reds need, a player that can hit right handed pitching.
vs Right .314 .363 .486 .848

Vs. right 2008
BA OBP SLG OPS
B. Phillips .249 .292 .395 .688
E. Encarnacion .228 .301 .446 .748
J. Keppinger .218 .262 .276 .537
Paul Bako .209 .294 .286 .580
C. Patterson .206 .245 .368 .612

Appears that you are correct about the rest.

Reds notebook
Rosales makes an impression early in camp
Sunday, March 2, 2008
By John Fay

SARASOTA, Fla. - Adam Rosales says he's at Reds camp for the fun and experience. He also could end up with the Opening Day shortstop job.

It's a long shot - a real long shot. Rosales has played just 67 games above the Single-A level.

But with Alex Gonzalez almost certainly out for Opening Day, Reds manager Dusty Baker is looking at all possibilities, and Rosales has caught his eye. Rosales went 2-for-3 with two runs scored in the Reds' 12-11 win over the Pirates Saturday. He's 5-for-8 with a double, home run and four runs scored.

Rosales is 6 feet 1, 195 pounds, but he looks extremely athletic. Baker corrects that. "He doesn't look athletic," Baker said. "He just is athletic. He gets the job done big-time. The more you're around him, the more you like him, the more he grows on you. He's in the right place at the right time. He's played well for us."

Rosales, 24, was the Reds' 12th-round pick in the 2005 draft. He hit a combined .286 with 41 doubles, 11 triples, 18 home runs, 79 RBI and 13 steals at Sarasota and Chattanooga last year. He was named the Reds' minor-league hitter of the year.

Rosales played shortstop at Western Michigan and his first two years in the minors. But he played mostly first base last year because he was coming off elbow surgery.
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080302/SPT04/803020427/1071/SPT

BRM
08-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Adam will have to continue to wait. Kepp is back at SS today and Cabrera is in LF.

dougdirt
08-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Adam will have to continue to wait. Kepp is back at SS today and Cabrera is in LF.

downright ridiculous

OnBaseMachine
08-26-2008, 07:29 PM
I'd rather see Rosales sent back to Louisville where he can play everyday as opposed to sitting on the bench in favor of Jolbert Cabrera and Jeff Keppinger.

IslandRed
08-26-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm going to take a bit of a contrarian view here. My opinion is, Rosales is one of those guys who looks like a shortstop as long as you don't look too closely or too long, and if Dusty hadn't said some nice stuff about him early in spring training he wouldn't be on anyone's shortstop radar. I know he originally moved off because of an injury, but the organization chose not to return him to the position after his arm got better. That should be a strong indicator of what they really think about his future there. And for a guy who's already 25, defense is one area where they shouldn't have to "find out what he can do," they should already know.

So that leaves him as Keppinger Jr. -- because his bat has some potential, folks want to try to create a shortstop where there really isn't one.

OnBaseMachine
08-26-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm going to take a bit of a contrarian view here. My opinion is, Rosales is one of those guys who looks like a shortstop as long as you don't look too closely or too long, and if Dusty hadn't said some nice stuff about him early in spring training he wouldn't be on anyone's shortstop radar. I know he originally moved off because of an injury, but the organization chose not to return him to the position after his arm got better. That should be a strong indicator of what they really think about his future there. And for a guy who's already 25, defense is one area where they shouldn't have to "find out what he can do," they should already know.

So that leaves him as Keppinger Jr. -- because his bat has some potential, folks want to try to create a shortstop where there really isn't one.

Oh I agree 100% with you that Rosales isn't a longterm solution at shortstop. He clearly lacks the range or tools to plays shortstop, but at this point in the season I'd like to see him get some atbats somewhere, whether it be left field or shortstop. I don't think he could be any worse than Keppinger is at SS right now, or Cabrera for that matter. But longterm, he's a corner infield guy or left fielder.

RedsManRick
08-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Forget defense. The guy needs at bats and Dusty is playing freaking Cabrera in LF. Just plain dumb. Playing LF isn't going to hurt him or us any more than sitting him on the bench.

IslandRed
08-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Forget defense. The guy needs at bats and Dusty is playing freaking Cabrera in LF. Just plain dumb. Playing LF isn't going to hurt him or us any more than sitting him on the bench.

I agree with that, but the hand-wringing has been out of proportion with the payoff, is all I'm saying here. Just my opinion, but if either he or Hanigan is in the discussion for a regular job next year Walt's already set the bar too low.

RedsManRick
08-27-2008, 02:28 AM
I agree with that, but the hand-wringing has been out of proportion with the payoff, is all I'm saying here. Just my opinion, but if either he or Hanigan is in the discussion for a regular job next year Walt's already set the bar too low.

I think the hand wringing is as much a lament as anything else. If they can't get the small, easy, relatively inconsequential decision right, why should we hold out any hope that they'll get the big, hard, consequential decisions right?

Who started in LF tonight is in some small way a proxy for the decision making of who starts in LF next season. That goes for catcher, the bullpen, and everywhere else.

I could hardly care less about whether or not they won tonight or who played in LF. But when I see small decision after small decision made using poor, if any, logic, it's quite disheartening.

WVRedsFan
08-27-2008, 02:37 AM
Caberra is not the future (or the present for that matter). He's fodder and still he plays. What was the purpose of bringing him up if he's going to ride the pine? To be frank, I don't think he will amount to much, but that's only opinion, and not a very educated one at all. I've been one to give Dusty a break, given the talent he has to work with, but this decision is bad. Play Rosales and see what he brings. Though I don't expect much, what's the risk? Maybe 72-90 or 70-92?

Spring~Fields
08-27-2008, 03:13 AM
Caberra is not the future (or the present for that matter). He's fodder and still he plays. What was the purpose of bringing him up if he's going to ride the pine? To be frank, I don't think he will amount to much, but that's only opinion, and not a very educated one at all. I've been one to give Dusty a break, given the talent he has to work with, but this decision is bad. Play Rosales and see what he brings. Though I don't expect much, what's the risk? Maybe 72-90 or 70-92?

Rosales might flash some leather and get some hits, and the fans might get a chance to be pleased compared to the five hits a game they are seeing now, and then again, the guy might be the worst in the bunch, but why not find out, just as you are indicating. Dickerson and Hanigan weren't suppose to be able to do much either, but they have added some interest, Rosales might do the same. I am tired of Baker hindering or interfering with the players that have less major league experience that might bring something positive to the table, in lieu of veterans who are not very good.

dougdirt
08-27-2008, 03:16 AM

Honestly, if Hanigan is the Reds starting catcher next year it wouldn't be a terrible thing. He is not a bad catcher and he will give you a strong at bat almost every time. Having him behind the plate isn't exactly setting the bar too low.

Reds Freak
08-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Perhaps Dusty is waiting until the Reds face Roy Oswalt tonight to give Rosales his first start, that will make him real "comfortable". The really positive thing about these handful of Louisville players coming up right now and doing well is it at the very least gives the Reds a much improved bench and depth for the future than what has been the bench over the past few years which has been a major problem.

Dickerson > Patterson/Freel/etc.
Hanigan > Ross/Bako/LaRue/etc.
Rosales > A. Phillips/Conine/etc.

lollipopcurve
08-27-2008, 10:07 AM
EdE has 1 RBI in his last 10 games, with a 12/2 k/bb. Tell me he couldn't use a breather here REAL soon. Late August, team way, way out of the race, and Dusty still can't find a way to rest some people and keep Rosales from going into hibernation on the bench?

It's also worth noting that Rosales' reputation is for being what they call an "energy" guy -- we all know what that means, and some tend to buy into its effect, some don't. The Reds have been called a lackluster bunch, so along comes this overachiever from the minors, a Rose run-to-first-on-a-walk guy, and what happens??? Baker buries him. Very disappointing.

You know what it tells me? Baker doesn't want the hustling kid showing up his veterans -- or his leadership -- by going out there playing at an energy level that makes other guys look even more like they're going through the motions. Believe it.

IslandRed
08-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Honestly, if Hanigan is the Reds starting catcher next year it wouldn't be a terrible thing. He is not a bad catcher and he will give you a strong at bat almost every time. Having him behind the plate isn't exactly setting the bar too low.

He's pretty good behind the dish, but I just don't see anything coming out of a full season's worth of plate appearances in the NL but replacement level. We could do worse when it comes to backups or fallback plans, but it's not good enough for Jocketty to say "yep, catching's taken care of for next year."

BRM
08-27-2008, 05:57 PM
At this point I'd really like to see Rosales sent back down. It would let him get some at-bats and he could help Louisville in the playoffs.

Oh yeah, he's on the pine again tonight.

_Sir_Charles_
08-27-2008, 06:00 PM
I'd rather see Rosales sent back to Louisville where he can play everyday as opposed to sitting on the bench in favor of Jolbert Cabrera and Jeff Keppinger.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I mean the kid has been on absolute FIRE lately. You'd think they'd want to at least TRY to ride the hot bat in Cincy. *shrugs* At the bare minimum, he needs regular playing time so send him back down or FREAKING PLAY HIM! Dusty's just putting the kid to sleep right now.

Spring~Fields
08-27-2008, 08:03 PM
At this point I'd really like to see Rosales sent back down. It would let him get some at-bats and he could help Louisville in the playoffs.

Oh yeah, he's on the pine again tonight.

I would like to see him sent down too so he can get some playing time with the season coming to an end and the Bats are actually playing for something.

I suppose we get Bako and Patterson tonight.

RedsManRick
08-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Bako catching Fogg tonight. So much about that veteran catching the rookies stuff.

Spring~Fields
08-27-2008, 08:20 PM
Bako catching Fogg tonight. So much about that veteran catching the rookies stuff.

Reds management, the epitome of credibility.

BRM
08-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Adam gets his first start today! He's playing 3B, batting 6th.

lollipopcurve
08-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Adam gets his first start today! He's playing 3B, batting 6th.

Dusty's already planning the double switch.

Glad Rosales is getting this way overdue chance. He should get more.

OnBaseMachine
08-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Nice to see Rosales finally get a chance. I'm predicting his first major league homerun today. :)

Kc61
08-28-2008, 02:48 PM
Dusty's already planning the double switch.

Glad Rosales is getting this way overdue chance. He should get more.

Who should sit? EE or Votto.

BRM
08-28-2008, 02:51 PM

Why are those two the only choices?

KronoRed
08-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Why are those two the only choices?

Because Keppinger is a Dusty dude.

Spring~Fields
08-28-2008, 02:55 PM

Why not ? How does a day off hurt EE, Votto, Keppinger or Phillips at this time? How does it hurt the teams chances at this time?

Also, Jocketty has very few trading chips of interest to other teams, he needs some additional ones.

Of course by now Rosales should be off in his timing from not having the chance to hit, so if he gets one day, I won't be expecting very much.

I hope that during the off season that Jocketty floods the team with young quality players even if they have limited major league experience.

lollipopcurve
08-28-2008, 02:57 PM

There are more possibilities than that. Rosales can play LF, RF, 2B and SS just as well as Jolbert Cabrera. I'd give him starts at any of those spots, as well as 3B and 1B. Let's see what the kid can do defensively in a utility role and as a hitter with 50+ ABs. You see a reason why not?

Spring~Fields
08-28-2008, 02:59 PM
There are more possibilities than that. Rosales can play LF, RF, 2B and SS just as well as Jolbert Cabrera. I'd give him starts at any of those spots, as well as 3B and 1B. Let's see what the kid can do defensively in a utility role and as a hitter with 50+ ABs. You see a reason why not?

But Jolbert Cabrera has more major league experience like Bako does. :)

Kc61
08-28-2008, 03:07 PM

I don't know how he plays SS, outfield, 2B. I know Rosales has played a lot of third and first.

In the case of Rosales, I would have tried to let him finish out the season with the Bats playing every inning through the playoffs. He took awhile to adjust to AAA, I would have let him build on that at Louisville and then giving him a Sept. callup.

lollipopcurve
08-28-2008, 03:24 PM
I don't know how he plays SS, outfield, 2B. I know Rosales has played a lot of third and first.

He was a SS in college and started there in the Reds' system for at least a couple years. He did get at least a little time at 2B in Louisville. May have played some OF while in the minors, I'm not sure, but apparently he has told Baker he can play out there. Why not give him a shot? All it would mean is giving him 4 ABs instead of Cabrera or Patterson.

In the case of Rosales, I would have tried to let him finish out the season with the Bats playing every inning through the playoffs. He took awhile to adjust to AAA, I would have let him build on that at Louisville and then giving him a Sept. callup.

But he hasn't been in Louisville. Or is that some kind of rationale for it being OK to bury him?

OnBaseMachine
08-30-2008, 05:58 PM
TO MAKE ROOM for Saturday’s pitcher, rookie Ramon Ramirez, the Reds sent infielder Adam Rosales back to Louisville and Baker said, “He’s going back to help them win the playoffs, then come back to re-join us.”

Rosales says it is a win-win situation for him: “If I stayed here I’d be exposed to the big-league experience, the learning experience. That’s good. But I’m going where I get to play every day and hopefully I can help bring a ring back to the Cincinnati organization.”

Told that he had a great attitude, Rosales said, “Always, man. Always.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

RedsManRick
08-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Phew. I was afraid that they were considering letting Patterson or Valentin go. That was a close one.

Spring~Fields
08-30-2008, 07:45 PM
Phew. I was afraid that they were considering letting Patterson or Valentin go. That was a close one.

http://re3.yt-thm-a03.yimg.com/image/25/m6/3484309666

Shame on you, you know that the Reds need speed and experienced bench sitters, they will get around to on base percentage next year. ;)

Highlifeman21
08-30-2008, 09:01 PM

Valentin is the most versatile piece of our roster.

He can play C, 1B and 3B.

You can't cut that.