PDA

View Full Version : What college did you go to and what did you major in?

NorrisHopper30
08-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Just curious to see what my fellow RZers do for there careers.

Right now I paint with my father and will be attending UC this year and will be doing Pre-Pharmacy.

Blimpie
08-21-2008, 03:29 PM
University of Florida
B.S.B.A. Marketing (1990)

:wave:

PedroBourbon
08-21-2008, 03:34 PM
University of KY, B.A. Biology 1992
University of Louisville, M.D. 1996

I root for UK year round, UL all but 2 days of the year ;)(one being a week from Sunday) Go Cats!

Raisor
08-21-2008, 03:38 PM
West Georgia
BA Mass Communication

MasonBuzz3
08-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Mount Union College
BA in Sport Business, minor in Business Administration (2008)

bucksfan2
08-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Ohio State 2004
Business (Operations Management, Marketing, Transportation Logistics)

redsmetz
08-21-2008, 03:53 PM
I attended Duns Scotus College in Southfield, MI and then UC, but do not have a degree. I majored in "undecided" while at U.C.

I now own my own Freight Transportation consulting firm, now in my 30th year. When I want to scare my wife, I suggest that I might go back and finish my degree. Two of my kids have already and my wife has a masters, so I think it's going to be my turn.

NorrisHopper30
08-21-2008, 03:57 PM
Mount Union College
BA in Sport Business, minor in Business Administration (2008)
What kind of job did that get you?

MasonBuzz3
08-21-2008, 04:06 PM
What kind of job did that get you?

I just got my first "real" job working for a professional soccer team in LA in group sales. Got to start in sales basically, but you could get anything from sales, marketing, facility management, or even player personnel management within the world of sport. Just my opinion, but you can't beat going to a stadium everyday for work

Roy Tucker
08-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Ohio Univ. - beer and pot
Ohio State Univ. - BA Psychology '74
Wright State Univ. - MS Computer Science '79
Life - continuing education

Sea Ray
08-21-2008, 04:07 PM
University of Tennessee Volunteers-undergrad
Ohio State -grad

When the Big Orange and the Buckeyes are on TV there's no contest which one I watch.

Go Vols!

NorrisHopper30
08-21-2008, 04:08 PM
I just got my first "real" job working for a professional soccer team in LA in group sales. Got to start in sales basically, but you could get anything from sales, marketing, facility management, or even player personnel management within the world of sport. Just my opinion, but you can't beat going to a stadium everyday for work

I was very close to Sports Admin at UC, but ended up doing Pharmacy. Oh well we'll see how it goes.

MasonBuzz3
08-21-2008, 04:09 PM
I was very close to Sports Admin at UC, but ended up doing Pharmacy. Oh well we'll see how it goes.

I started out as a History major, plenty of time to figure out what you want to do. enjoy the college years

RedsBaron
08-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Marshall University, 1976 (A.B.-political science)
Duke University, 1979 (J.D.)

Scrap Irony
08-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Berea College: kicked out
Western Kentucky University: BA English and the Allied Arts (02)
University of Louisville: MAT (05)

I teach high school English and humanities.

NorrisHopper30
08-21-2008, 04:20 PM
I started out as a History major, plenty of time to figure out what you want to do. enjoy the college years

I'll try. :beerme:

:D

Strikes Out Looking
08-21-2008, 04:22 PM
I.U. B.S. Accounting 1986
Arizona State-J.D. 1989

MrCinatit
08-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Edison State Community College (Piqua) Associate of Arts, general. 1989
Bowling Green State University (Ohio), Newspaper/Editorial, 1992.

Lot of good they are doing me now.

EddieMilner
08-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Freshman Year - University of Vermont - too much fun skiing, climbing, and partying. Had to leave the outdoor jungle gym so I could actually graduate.
BS Mechanical Engineering - Rose-Hulman

Stephenk29
08-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Greenville College (illinois)
History Education

Dom Heffner
08-21-2008, 05:10 PM
University of South Florida, Political Science Honors. 2004, I think.

redhawkfish
08-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Freshman year Kentucky Christian College in Grayson
Graduated with a phys. ed. degree from Miami in 1989.
Elementary PE teacher for eighteen years.

Caveat Emperor
08-21-2008, 05:18 PM
Tulane University 2003 - B.A. in Psychology and Philosophy
University of Toledo 2006 - J.D.

Currently an attorney working in Cincinnati.

RedsManRick
08-21-2008, 05:27 PM
University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2004

BA Sociology, Concentration in Analysis and Research
BA Political Science

BuckeyeRed27
08-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Ohio State 05 - Finance

pahster
08-21-2008, 05:29 PM
University of Missouri - B.A. in political science (2007)
University of North Carolina - PhD in political science (2012...hopefully...)

nate
08-21-2008, 05:31 PM
THE Berklee College of Music - B.A. in Jazz Composition (1990)

Rojo
08-21-2008, 06:38 PM
San Francisco City College, here and there.

westofyou
08-21-2008, 07:22 PM
University of California Santa Cruz
BA in Film/Video

joshnky
08-21-2008, 07:26 PM
BS and MS in Industrial Engineering as well as an MBA, all from University of Louisville.

Yachtzee
08-21-2008, 07:30 PM
Kent State University - BA, International Relations, 1994
Bowling Green State University - Attempted Dual MA in Political Science and German, DNF.
University of Akron - JD, 2007

Currently a licensed attorney trying to break into the business any way I can.

Reds4Life
08-21-2008, 07:37 PM
UC - Finance

improbus
08-21-2008, 07:41 PM
OSU - Senior year of high school (post secondary options)
OU - BA - Classics
UK - MA in Classics; Masters in Education

NorrisHopper30
08-21-2008, 07:47 PM
I thought at least one person on the board would be a Pharmacist.

BoxingRed
08-21-2008, 08:07 PM

I started pharmacy school on Wed. I am much older than the average pharn student and got a BA in history several years ago from George Washington University.

One thing I will say about pharmacy school, if you are in your teens or early twenties, make sure it is what you really want to do. There is no way I could/would have done all the coursework, rotations and required work experience at such a young age. Not because I couldn't handle it, but because pharm school is very serious, it is a professional school, and, IMO, your early 20's should be about experiencing new things and having fun. Pharm school= serious lifelong career, college=learning, fun and self discovery.

Let me know if you need help with organic, I loved that stuff for some odd reason.

BCubb2003
08-21-2008, 08:24 PM
trying to break into the business any way I can.

No, no ... those are the ones who need a licensed attorney.

Ohio University, journalism.

deltachi8
08-21-2008, 08:54 PM
College: Depends on the year....
Major: (see above)

Tom Servo
08-21-2008, 09:03 PM
UNC Charlotte, and I start on Saturday.

Spitball
08-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Norwich-PE
Salem State-English
Central Arkansas-Education

NorrisHopper30
08-21-2008, 09:14 PM
I started pharmacy school on Wed. I am much older than the average pharn student and got a BA in history several years ago from George Washington University.

One thing I will say about pharmacy school, if you are in your teens or early twenties, make sure it is what you really want to do. There is no way I could/would have done all the coursework, rotations and required work experience at such a young age. Not because I couldn't handle it, but because pharm school is very serious, it is a professional school, and, IMO, your early 20's should be about experiencing new things and having fun. Pharm school= serious lifelong career, college=learning, fun and self discovery.

Let me know if you need help with organic, I loved that stuff for some odd reason.

Just turned 18 a few months ago. I have 2 years of Pre-Pharmacy before I can get into the actual Pharmacy school at UC. I did very well in Chemistry in high school and actually enjoyed it a little..which is why I chose pharmacy.

Did you do pre-pharmacy or get directly into the pharmacy school?

BoxingRed
08-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Just turned 18 a few months ago. I have 2 years of Pre-Pharmacy before I can get into the actual Pharmacy school at UC. I did very well in Chemistry in high school and actually enjoyed it a little..which is why I chose pharmacy.

Did you do pre-pharmacy or get directly into the pharmacy school?

I took alot of the pre-reqs the are involved in pre-pharmacy over the last couple years and had satisfied alot of the others during my undergrad years.
You can always switch pretty easily from pre-pharm to bio or chemistry for a major.
All I am saying is the pharmacy school is a huge financial and time commitment and very competitive. Think about what you want out of life right now before diving headlong into a something that can be very life consuming.
My advice: Take your basic classes, don't sweat a career like pharmacy for a few years and go start a band or something.;)

SunDeck
08-21-2008, 09:54 PM
UC- majored in Budweiser 40 ouncers and bong hits, mostly. Along the way:

Ended up two classes shy of graduating with a BA in German Lit., dropped out.
Returned, changed major to Poli Sci, graduated a year later.

remdog
08-21-2008, 10:18 PM

Ahhh, so you got the job! Congratulations! I was wondering....

Have you moved to LA yet?

Rem

Oxilon
08-21-2008, 10:27 PM

I disagree. I was a Sports and Rec. Major at Temple University and ended up getting an internship with the Frederick Keys (Orioles A club) after my freshman year. It was in Group sales and boy did I hate it. Working 9-4 during the offseason and during away games, while working 8 from an hour until the game ended (usually around 11:00 but I've gotten out as late as 1:30 thanks to rain delays). It was comprised of a lot of b*tch work (phone calls, getting events set up, and doing nothing). I really felt like I wasn't getting much of an education (including the internship and the classes) so I decided to change to Accounting. I like it a lot better, and although not the most interesting job in the world, I'm actually learning quite a lot and there will be some money out there for me once I graduate which will be in a year.

I heard a saying once, "Don't make your hobby your profession, or else you'll grow to hate it." Well, I'm not sure if that's completely true in any case, but I found there to be some sort of relevance in it, atleast for me.

MasonBuzz3
08-21-2008, 10:28 PM
Ahhh, so you got the job! Congratulations! I was wondering....

Have you moved to LA yet?

Rem

I'll be driving out Labor day weekend, thanks for your help man

MasonBuzz3
08-21-2008, 10:32 PM
I disagree. I was a Sports and Rec. Major at Temple University and ended up getting an internship with the Frederick Keys (Orioles A club) after my freshman year. It was in Group sales and boy did I hate it. Working 9-4 during the offseason and during away games, while working 8 from an hour until the game ended (usually around 11:00 but I've gotten out as late as 1:30 thanks to rain delays). It was comprised of a lot of b*tch work (phone calls, getting events set up, and doing nothing). I really felt like I wasn't getting much of an education (including the internship and the classes) so I decided to change to Accounting. I like it a lot better, and although not the most interesting job in the world, I'm actually learning quite a lot and there will be some money out there for me once I graduate which will be in a year.

I heard a saying once, "Don't make your hobby your profession, or else you'll grow to hate it." Well, I'm not sure if that's completely true in any case, but I found there to be some sort of relevance in it, atleast for me.

I wasn't a fan of interning in minor league baseball either, but I spent two years with the Cleveland Cavaliers and loved every moment of it. The hours are long and the pay isn't the greatest but I'd much rather work in sports than anywhere else. I guess to each his own. Good to know that you found something you don't want to do for your career, that's what internships are best for in my opinion.

Cyclone792
08-21-2008, 10:33 PM
UC, BA in Mass Comm ... which means I'm a data analyst now. Go figure.

If you can be successful in the pharmacy program and want to stay in this region, stay with it. It'll be competitive and pretty tough while in school, however, there's a possibility that there could be a shortage of pharmacists in the Cincinnati area in the next 5-10 years.

Plus they make pretty good coin too. ;)

Oxilon
08-21-2008, 10:35 PM
I wasn't a fan of interning in minor league baseball either, but I spent two years with the Cleveland Cavaliers and loved every moment of it. The hours are long and the pay isn't the greatest but I'd much rather work in sports than anywhere else. I guess to each his own. Good to know that you found something you don't want to do for your career, that's what internships are best for in my opinion.

It's funny you say that because that's exactly the reason I wouldn't take anything back. That's a big thing that's overlooked about how important internships are. Sure, you can learn a lot about the in's and out's of the industry, but most importantly you can decide whether or not you're cut out for the profession.

cincrazy
08-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Ohio State 2007, journalism degree. But I'm going back to get a master's in education.

wolfboy
08-21-2008, 10:40 PM
University of Cincinnati - Political Science
NKU/Chase - J.D. (in progress)

BuckeyeRed27
08-21-2008, 10:44 PM
I'll be driving out Labor day weekend, thanks for your help man

Welcome to LA. Where you living?

fearofpopvol1
08-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Indiana University, BS Computer Information Systems
Indiana University, BS Management

MWM
08-21-2008, 10:52 PM
http://www.cudaapparel.com/images/category/DaynaU/DU_michigan_logo-tn.jpg

Same school as Michael Phelps. :)

Masters Degree - MBA

cincinnati chili
08-21-2008, 11:37 PM
THE Berklee College of Music - B.A. in Jazz Composition (1990)

Very prestigious school. But it's funny. I seriously have met about 20-30 people who have attended Berklee and only about 2 or 3 (including you) who graduated. It seems like most people either become a star and drop out (Quincy Jones) or get discouraged that they're not a star and drop out.

Vassar College, A.B. Political Science
UMass-Amherst, M.S. Sport Management
Suffolk University, J.D. Laws and Stuff

Perhaps the most important lesson I learned along the way. "Student Loans are not dischargable in bankurptcy."

cincinnati chili
08-21-2008, 11:41 PM
http://www.cudaapparel.com/images/category/DaynaU/DU_michigan_logo-tn.jpg

Same school as Michael Phelps. :)

Masters Degree - MBA

So not to hijack the thread, but are the people at your office p.o'ed that he's going to be on a Frosty Flakes box?

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080819/SPORTS17/80819044/1065/SPORTS17

jmcclain19
08-21-2008, 11:41 PM
University of Arizona - English Lit & American History (2000)

Currently working in a field that has nothing to do with English Lit or American History.

NorrisHopper30
08-21-2008, 11:54 PM
I took alot of the pre-reqs the are involved in pre-pharmacy over the last couple years and had satisfied alot of the others during my undergrad years.
You can always switch pretty easily from pre-pharm to bio or chemistry for a major.
All I am saying is the pharmacy school is a huge financial and time commitment and very competitive. Think about what you want out of life right now before diving headlong into a something that can be very life consuming.
My advice: Take your basic classes, don't sweat a career like pharmacy for a few years and go start a band or something.;)

You're scaring me :D.

The thing that is keeping me with my decision is that I didn't know that pharmacy was big money till after I picked it. I went onto the Bureau of Labor's website and saw some of those #s and it got me excited.

Sounds very strenuous and apparently it is evolving into more patient care than Pharmacists have done in the past. If it doesn't work out i'll probably end up in Chem or Bio..maybe Sports Management or Business.

Don't need to worry about that now, though.

MWM
08-21-2008, 11:58 PM
So not to hijack the thread, but are the people at your office p.o'ed that he's going to be on a Frosty Flakes box?

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080819/SPORTS17/80819044/1065/SPORTS17

Probably. I hadn't seen that. A little surprising.

Super_Barry11
08-22-2008, 01:01 AM
Case Western Reserve University- BA in Psychology, 2006
John F. Kennedy University- MA in Sport Psychology and PsyD in Clinical Psychology, anticipated graduation in 2011

AmarilloRed
08-22-2008, 01:04 AM
Amarillo College

Associate of Science in Business Administration

MasonBuzz3
08-22-2008, 01:59 AM
Welcome to LA. Where you living?

Thanks, well I'll be working in Carson, but looking for a spot around Torrance maybe. Need to find it soon. Seems like a decent amount of Reds fans out in So Cal

OldRightHander
08-22-2008, 04:32 AM
NKU, English major but only completed three years. Looking back now I wish I had taken something that would help me build my business. I'm probably like a lot of small business owners in that I found a skill I was pretty good at, decided to take it independent, and while I'm still good at said skill I am somewhat lacking in knowing how to turn it into a successful business. I'm not doing too bad a job of it, learning as I go, but it would be nice to have learned some of the fundamentals. I'm stumbling and bumbling around in Quick Books and hoping I don't make too much of a mess of things.

cumberlandreds
08-22-2008, 07:10 AM
Southeast Community College which was part of the Univeristy of Kentucky.
A.A. in Business Administration

Cumberland College now called University of the Cumberlands.
B.S. in Business Administration

Boss-Hog
08-22-2008, 07:14 AM
Miami University - Management Information Systems

nate
08-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Very prestigious school. But it's funny. I seriously have met about 20-30 people who have attended Berklee and only about 2 or 3 (including you) who graduated. It seems like most people either become a star and drop out (Quincy Jones) or get discouraged that they're not a star and drop out.

Yeah, that seemed to be the norm even when I was there...gasp...20 years ago!

rdiersin
08-22-2008, 07:45 AM

My wife's a pharmacist if that helps any. :) I don't know of another profession requiring an advanced degree like that where you work 40 hours/week (though they may be wierd hours) and get overtime if you work more. Crazy. Not to mention you can pretty much go anywhere in the country and not have to worry about finding a job.

Myself,
B.S. in Electrical Engineering, from Purdue University
M.S.E.E. and PhD. from the University of Notre Dame.

oneupper
08-22-2008, 07:50 AM
Chemistry - Universidad Central de Venezuela
MBA - I.E.S.A. (Venezuela).

I spent a semester at UNC - Chapel Hill on an exchange program.

RFS62
08-22-2008, 07:58 AM
West Virginia University and University of Central Florida as an accounting major.

Got a summer job between my junior and senior year in my current line of work, fell in love with the adventure, and never looked back. I'd have been a lousy accountant, anyway.

RedsFan75
08-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Cumberland College, Engineering and Art Education

Job: Software Engineer.

pahster
08-22-2008, 08:21 AM
I spent a semester at UNC - Chapel Hill on an exchange program.

TAM program?

cumberlandreds
08-22-2008, 08:26 AM
Cumberland College, Engineering and Art Education

Job: Software Engineer.

What year did you graduate from CC? I did in 1986. You don't run into many alumni from there.

Redhook
08-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Miami University
Finance

durl
08-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Union College (in KY) - Sociology/Psychology.
I'm currently a Marketing Analyst.

Hello to the Cumberland College Grads. I grew up about 20 miles down the road from there.

yab1112
08-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Still in school in NY, the esteemed Touro University
Business Management

Ltlabner
08-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Wright State University - BS in Business Administration (marketing concentration) 1994

Xavier University MBA Program - MBA - completed 3/4 of the program and like a complete idiot took a "semester off". That was about 11 years ago.

TStuck
08-22-2008, 09:40 AM

Hey Norris - I graduated from Purdue University ('91) with a BS Pharmacy. I've worked Retail, Hospital and the Pharma Industry. Currently in Industry. Be glad to share any insights you might be interested in!

cumberlandreds
08-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Union College (in KY) - Sociology/Psychology.
I'm currently a Marketing Analyst.

Hello to the Cumberland College Grads. I grew up about 20 miles down the road from there.

Hello! Union grad! :wave:

RichRed
08-22-2008, 09:49 AM
James Madison University - BBA in Economics (1991)

Will be pursuing MBA starting in '09, not sure which school yet.

rotnoid
08-22-2008, 09:49 AM
UC/NKU B.S. Biological Sciences 2005

Currently a part time MBA student at NKU.

Hoosier Red
08-22-2008, 10:21 AM
BS in Kinesiology(Sports Communication) from Indiana-2000

In middle of MBA program at Butler, should graduate in 2010.

RedsFan75
08-22-2008, 10:41 AM
What year did you graduate from CC? I did in 1986. You don't run into many alumni from there.

Actually I work with about 6 alumni! :)

Let's just say my Freshman year was 1979. After 3 years in the engineering program I had to go the the UK school on engineering, I thought I'd take a break and spend some time in the military. :) 10 years, a commission, and lots of work on their computer software side, later... I got out and started working in the private industry... Never did make it to UK.

danken12
08-22-2008, 10:58 AM
Wow. No one is an EKU Alum?

2004 BS Criminal Justice

Currently state employed in Cabinet for health and family services.

BuckeyeRed27
08-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Thanks, well I'll be working in Carson, but looking for a spot around Torrance maybe. Need to find it soon. Seems like a decent amount of Reds fans out in So Cal

Torrance is ok, but if I were you go look in Hermosa or Manhattan Beach. It will be a little more expensive but very very worth it.

vaticanplum
08-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Drew University - BA, History and Theatre Arts
L'Ecole Internationale de Theatre Jacques Lecoq - Certificate in Physical Theatre

A pseudo internets beer to anyone who's ever heard of either of those schools.

I also did post-grad work at the American Conservatory Theatre in San Francisco, which may be the best education I've ever had.

I actually do work in my chosen field, which accounts for the extremely sporadic nature of my employment. It also means I have to find alternate creative ways to pay the bills sometimes. I do a lot of editing work so I've gotten pretty good at that, not that anyone would know that from my posts.

gonelong
08-22-2008, 01:15 PM
High School Diploma - 1988
Bowling Green - 1989-1993 - Knucklehead
Wright State Branch Campus 1994 - Undecided
Wright State University 1995-1996 - BA in MIS (I hope none of you are math majors 1996 - 1988 =?)
Findlay University 2003 - MBA in Project MGMT

GL

OesterPoster
08-22-2008, 01:24 PM
High School Diploma - 1988
Wright State Branch Campus 1994 - Undecided
Wright State University 1995-1996 - BA in MIS (I hope none of you are math majors 1996 - 1988 =?)
Findlay University 2003 - MBA in Project MGMT

GL

Whoa, wonder if I had any classes with you. I was at the WSU-LC in 1992-1993, and obtained my BS in MIS from the main campus in December of '96.

WSNCWFU#1
08-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Berea College KY 2001 BS Business Adminstration

Currently in Sales for a large Insurance Company

oneupper
08-22-2008, 01:38 PM
TAM program?

Gee. Don't know what it was called. IESA sent a few MBA students up to Chapel Hill, UNC sent a brave soul or two down to Venezuela. This was over 20 years ago.

RosieRed
08-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Ohio University
Journalism

Somehow managed to graduate from there in four years. :) With good grades even!

Heath
08-22-2008, 03:08 PM
L'Ecole Internationale de Theatre Jacques Lecoq - Certificate in Physical Theatre

I also did post-grad work at the American Conservatory Theatre in San Francisco, which may be the best education I've ever had.

I actually do work in my chosen field, which accounts for the extremely sporadic nature of my employment. It also means I have to find alternate creative ways to pay the bills sometimes. I do a lot of editing work so I've gotten pretty good at that, not that anyone would know that from my posts.

It's in New Jersey.

I'll take an Interwebs Molsen Canadian, thanks.

missionhockey21
08-22-2008, 03:11 PM
University of Dayton - Marketing.... last semester to go I hope. :)

I do plan to go back for my MBA assuming I can get whoever I sucker into employing me to also pay for some or all of my future education.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Ohio State University
BA Communications

Falls City Beer
08-22-2008, 03:25 PM
U of Louisville--Writing
Washington U in St. Louis--MFA Writing
U of Chicago--Ph.D English Literature

Dom Heffner
08-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Jacques Lecoq

That name makes me smile.

Matt700wlw
08-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Bowling Green State University (class of 2002)...degree in Telecommunications.

In other words, I partied like a rock star for 4 years.

gonelong
08-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Whoa, wonder if I had any classes with you. I was at the WSU-LC in 1992-1993, and obtained my BS in MIS from the main campus in December of '96.

Probably. I graduated in March '96. I'll send you a PM.

GL

Falls City Beer
08-22-2008, 03:28 PM
That name makes me smile.

Jacques Lecoq.

Jack Rooster

or Jack Chick, like that guy who made those religious tracts.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-22-2008, 03:29 PM

I was recruited by BGSU in 1989 to play baseball (no schollie though, just preferred walk-on).

So, we could have been knuckleheads together back then, but I decided to be a knucklehead in Columbus. And was I ever.

For. Six. Long. Years.

LincolnparkRed
08-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Indiana University 1999 Accounting/Management

TeamSelig
08-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Vincennes University associates Law Enforcement, bachelors Homeland Security

Probably headed to Long Island University for my masters in Homeland Security Management.

Johnny Footstool
08-22-2008, 05:09 PM
University of Kansas - B.A. - English (Creative Writing Emphasis)

redlegs7089
08-22-2008, 05:18 PM
The ohio state University
Electrical Engineering (2009)

Betterread
08-22-2008, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE=vaticanplum;1728487]Drew University - BA, History and Theatre Arts

[QUOTE]
All the founding member of the Theatre de la Jeune Lune in Minneapolis (Vincent Gracieux, Dominique Serrand, Barbara Berlovitz (played a great Medea) and Robert Rosen) all went there. Maybe you are familiar with them? Great Training. Its a famous Commedia Dell'Arte school. You must be a pretty accomplished actress.
Sadly this theatre just declared bankrupcy earlier this year.

Tony Cloninger
08-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Cal State Fullerton... 2 years...majored in sitting on the bench in baseball and economics. So since i knew baseball was not in cards for me and economics bored me (stats i love...too bad there was no baseball history/saber classes when i went)

Transfered to Pasadena College.....liberal arts...after that.

redsmetz
08-22-2008, 06:34 PM
U of Louisville--Writing
Washington U in St. Louis--MFA Writing
U of Chicago--Ph.D English Literature

So we should call you Dr. Falls City Beer?

*BaseClogger*
08-22-2008, 06:41 PM
just moved in at Miami University

edabbs44
08-22-2008, 08:54 PM

Jersey pride.

edabbs44
08-22-2008, 08:55 PM
The College of NJ (aka Trenton State College), BS in Law and Justice

Working for an investment bank. Go figure.

RFS62
08-22-2008, 09:17 PM

A different Doctor, perhaps.

http://www.samruby.com/Villains/DoctorDoom/DrDoomChap.gif

bthomasiscool
08-22-2008, 09:39 PM
Kentucky Christian University 2007: Business Administration/Marketing

Currently working as a telesales representative for a security company. Absolutely hate it and don't know what I want to do with my life. I'd probably go back to school, but recently married and can't afford it. Just living the dream...:beerme:

vaticanplum
08-22-2008, 10:19 PM
Sadly this theatre just declared bankrupcy earlier this year.

Wow, I had not heard that. A good friend of mine just started a fellowship at a theater in Minneapolis and I'm surprised she hasn't mentioned it. I always assumed that Jeune Lune did very well in Minneapolis...is there any chance they will survive this?

A lot of great theater companies have come out of Lecoq...Pig Iron, Footsbarn, Cirque du Soleil, and what I believe to be the greatest theater company on the planet, Theatre Complicite in London. It is an extraordinary school in many ways, and definitely the only place in the world I could have gotten that training. I do have very mixed feelings about my education there, though. Jacques Lecoq had died less than two years before I got there and I think the school was in a state of transition. What they teach is incredible -- seriously mind-blowing, really organic stuff -- but their teaching methods range from joyous to downright brutal. They do not believe in students asking questions (especially in the first year) or in positive feedback. And there is a cutthroatness and snobbery about it which means you're not supposed to talk about that part of the school. I had to grow about 10 layers of skin just to survive, and holy crap, did I smoke like a nerve-ridden chimney when I was there. But I did it and it was probably good for me.

So people have heard not only of Drew but of Lecoq as well. My mind is officially blown. And yes, Dom, the name often makes people smile. Run around your professional life telling people you went to school at Jock Lecock. Go ahead, try it :)

Sorry to hijack the thread. It's not often that I get to talk about this stuff with baseball people.

RFS62
08-22-2008, 10:50 PM
I had to grow about 10 layers of skin just to survive, and holy crap, did I smoke like a nerve-ridden chimney when I was there.

VP, you really do have an incredible gift for expressing yourself. You write some funny and clever stuff.

:laugh:

deltachi8
08-22-2008, 11:18 PM

Beats Dr. Detroit

http://content8.flixster.com/photo/10/92/47/10924750_gal.jpg

Betterread
08-22-2008, 11:33 PM
Wow, I had not heard that. A good friend of mine just started a fellowship at a theater in Minneapolis and I'm surprised she hasn't mentioned it. I always assumed that Jeune Lune did very well in Minneapolis...is there any chance they will survive this?

A lot of great theater companies have come out of Lecoq...Pig Iron, Footsbarn, Cirque du Soleil, and what I believe to be the greatest theater company on the planet, Theatre Complicite in London.

Survival depends on how you define it. I'm sure the actors will find work.
Theatre Complicite is amazing, I agree. Their "street of crocodiles" opened up new perspectives and vistas on art, life and the 20th century. One of the best productions I have ever seen.

MWM
08-23-2008, 12:25 AM

It used to, but it's lost some popularity over the last few years (it won the Tony for best regional theatre in 2005). As you know I'm an avid theatre goer myself and I've lived in the Twin Cities for two years now and have been there once. I saw Figaro. It was a very interesting and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it wasn't for the masses. They're very innovative, but my understanding from folks who have lived here for a while is that they've really gone a lot further "out there" than they used to. I don't know if that's true, but it wouldn't surprise me. It's too bad because with the travesty that has become Broadway (may as well rename it Disney mid-town) over the past 5 years, we need more innovators and original artists.

cincinnati chili
08-23-2008, 01:48 AM

At least one member of my high school class went to Drew (high school class of '90). Also, a member of my grad school (Sports Management) class was a Drew grad and baseball player there. He now works in Development for Boston College.... like they need money. :)

SunDeck
08-23-2008, 07:21 AM
So people have heard not only of Drew but of Lecoq as well. My mind is officially blown. And yes, Dom, the name often makes people smile. Run around your professional life telling people you went to school at Jock Lecock. Go ahead, try it :)

Sorry to hijack the thread. It's not often that I get to talk about this stuff with baseball people.

See, that's what's great about RZ. Here you can discuss theater AND giggle about "Lecock" at the same time. It's like James Lipton meets Bevis and Butthead.

oneupper
08-23-2008, 08:54 AM

Sorry, but I couldn't help thinking of some poor soul explaining how he/she was headmaster or headmistress at Lecock. :D

Betterread
08-23-2008, 12:55 PM
It used to, but it's lost some popularity over the last few years (it won the Tony for best regional theatre in 2005). As you know I'm an avid theatre goer myself and I've lived in the Twin Cities for two years now and have been there once. I saw Figaro. It was a very interesting and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it wasn't for the masses. They're very innovative, but my understanding from folks who have lived here for a while is that they've really gone a lot further "out there" than they used to. I don't know if that's true, but it wouldn't surprise me. It's too bad because with the travesty that has become Broadway (may as well rename it Disney mid-town) over the past 5 years, we need more innovators and original artists.

We used to go to most of the TJL productions for years, but in the last few years they have done fewer new productions and presented mostly older productions, like Figaro, which first was presented in 2003. As their reputation grew, they focused a lot of time and resources on national and international tours and sacrificed some of their twin cities focus.
The last great TJL I saw were their 2 Moliere productions in 2006: Tartuffe and the Miser - which was a great season with Kafka's Amerikka, and mefistofele. After that year, four of the original five members either left the company or stepped down from their co-Artistic Director positions, leaving Dominic Serrand as the sole Director. The 2007 season programming was a huge disappointment and then of course 2008 followed.
I'll miss them - locally only the Guthrie's productions are on the same level and their programming can be very conservative a lot of the time.

Yachtzee
08-23-2008, 05:33 PM
See, that's what's great about RZ. Here you can discuss theater AND giggle about "Lecock" at the same time. It's like James Lipton meets Bevis and Butthead.

Butt-head: Heh heh, heh heh, heh heh. Your name is Lipton.
Beavis: Hey, Lipton. Say "Splendiferous." Say it. Say it. "Splendiferous." Yeah.

http://home.teleport.com/~rasputin/ImageFiles/BeavisButthead.jpg

paintmered
08-24-2008, 08:31 PM

My sister earned her PharmD at UC. Those two years of pre-pharm are so very important. Looking back on her application process, she had pre-pharm classmates with over a 3.6 who did not get accepted into the PharmD program. I don't mean to intimidate you to program, just be mindful that it is competitive and let that drive you to excel.

Enjoy UC. I spent five wonderful years there.

I have a B.S. in electrical engineering. I start part-time graduate classes for my M.S.E.E. in a few weeks.

NorrisHopper30
08-24-2008, 08:47 PM
My sister earned her PharmD at UC. Those two years of pre-pharm are so very important. Looking back on her application process, she had pre-pharm classmates with over a 3.6 who did not get accepted into the PharmD program. I don't mean to intimidate you to program, just be mindful that it is competitive and let that drive you to excel.

Enjoy UC. I spent five wonderful years there.

I have a B.S. in electrical engineering. I start part-time graduate classes for my M.S.E.E. in a few weeks.

Oh you scared me.

I realize the competitiveness, and i'm hoping if I don't get into the Pharmacy program that I can fallback onto a Chemistry degree or Biology degree.

I'm not entirely sure, but do you know if they look at more than just GPA when admitting students into the school of Pharmacy?

paintmered
08-24-2008, 09:00 PM
Oh you scared me.

I realize the competitiveness, and i'm hoping if I don't get into the Pharmacy program that I can fallback onto a Chemistry degree or Biology degree.

I'm not entirely sure, but do you know if they look at more than just GPA when admitting students into the school of Pharmacy?

There's an interview and they look at the full resume. If you are well-rounded, and don't embarrass yourself in an interview, you shouldn't have any problem being accepted with a 3.5 or greater. The student I alluded to earlier was not well-rounded. Another student said that he "wasn't good at following directions" in the interview. Whoops.

But, GPA is very important and I'd consider a 3.5 GPA to be the minimum requirement to gain entrance into pharmacy school. Take advantage of all the academic support opportunities in the math and science courses. There are people out there to make sure you do well in these pre-pharm classes, but it's up to you to use them. Participate in extra-curricular activities and community service projects. They're a great way to meet people while building a resume. Lastly, limit partying to the weekends. Stick with those three things, and you're well on your way.

It is challenging, but that doesn't mean it has to be intimidating. Also, remember that you aren't in this alone. Make friends with others in your program. Push each other and learn from each other. Peers are great motivators when it comes to doing well at school.

BoxingRed
08-24-2008, 09:30 PM
Oh you scared me.

Not sure about UC, but almost everyone requires the PCAT. The PCAT is basically a SAT type test the focuses on your Bio, Anatomy, Chem and Organic Chem studies. Also has a verbal and math component. Not as tough as it may seem as your grade on it is relative to the rest of your peers taking the test.
I would suggest showing some interest in pharmacy in your work experience. I didn't start working in a pharmacy till after I began applying, but interviewers seemed to appreciate the fact that I was making the effort. It will also help you decide if it's something you really want to do. So go get a job in some sort of pharm related field for a day or 2 a week(BTW, retail seems to be on the way out, so don't dread that as the only option for pharmacist.)

OSUmed2010
08-24-2008, 10:12 PM
I graduated from the College-Conservatory of Music at UC in 2006 with a BM in trumpet performance. Currently at OSU College of Medicine, expecting graduation in 2010.

NorrisHopper30
08-24-2008, 10:34 PM
Thanks for all the advice.

*BaseClogger*
08-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Miami University
Finance

I'm thinking about the same program at Miami. Are you happy with the job it got you, and is there any advice you can lend me?

Thanks

MWM
08-24-2008, 11:08 PM
Can't go wrong with a finance degree from Miami.

Raisor
08-24-2008, 11:17 PM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:i0JsSQYOw3gjfM:http://blog.kir.com/archives/images/Belushi_in_Animal_House.jpg

gonelong
08-25-2008, 12:01 AM
I was recruited by BGSU in 1989 to play baseball (no schollie though, just preferred walk-on).

So, we could have been knuckleheads together back then, but I decided to be a knucklehead in Columbus. And was I ever.

For. Six. Long. Years.

I certainly didn't need any *more* help. :)

BGSU had open tryouts for the baseball team. I picked up my glove and spikes and started walking out to the tryouts with one of my room mates. About 1/2 way out we started talking about beer. We got about another 100 yds and decided we should buy a keg instead of trying out for the team. *sigh*

GL

remdog
08-25-2008, 07:20 AM

BGSU had open tryouts for the baseball team. I picked up my glove and spikes and started walking out to the tryouts with one of my room mates. About 1/2 way out we started talking about beer. We got about another 100 yds and decided we should buy a keg instead of trying out for the team. *sigh*

GL

Sounds about right. :lol:

Bowling Green. BS in Advertising and Marketing. Marketing Manager for Marriott.

Rem

remdog
08-25-2008, 09:43 AM

GL

I was just on the BG site a little while ago going through some different things relating to homecoming, the football schedule, etc. when I saw a note that the baseball team is about to have open tryouts. Hey, I've still got a year of eligibility left! What if I enroll in classes and show up at the tryouts? Does the head coach have a sense of humor? Would he find empathy with a 62 y.o. infielder with bad knees and a bum shoulder? Would the kids in the locker room look up to me or would I just be 'old school' to them?

:roll:

Rem

Chip R
08-25-2008, 10:11 AM
University of Northern Iowa BA Ed
Indian Hills Community College AAS Computer Programming/Systems Analysis

Red Heeler
08-25-2008, 06:55 PM
1990-1993: Wright State University - Beer and Co-eds
1995-1998: Tennessee Tech University - B.S. Animal Science
2002-2006: University of Tennessee - Doctor of Veterinary Medicine.

Bought out my former employer this spring. Currently building a new equine veterinary clinic.

freestyle55
08-25-2008, 09:21 PM
Bowling Green, class of December 2001, majored in Management Information Systems.

bucksfan
08-25-2008, 09:55 PM
The Ohio State University, B.S. in Industrial and Systems Engineering, 1989

It generally prepared me for this life I lead, but mostly in a different capacity than I thought it would. Still look back on those days oh so fondly....

My job is still technical in nature, but interacts with about every aspect of our business imagineable, which is what made I.S.E (as it was at the time) such a good background for me.

vaticanplum
08-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Ohio University
Journalism

Somehow managed to graduate from there in four years. :) With good grades even!

Ohio University was on my shortlist of schools, and my cousin (same age as I am) and I drove up to check it out together. One of the pamphlets they gave us had a rundown of the vital stats etc. of the school. There was something like 20,000 undergrads there at the time...and 120,000 living graduates.

My cousin read this to me in the car, then paused for a second, then said, "Um...doesn't that seem like a pretty low number of graduates for that big of a school?" In other words, any recent five-year span of students pretty much equaled the number of people of reasonable age who had graduated. We were a little more baffled as to why they chose to advertise this :) I mean, I don't think a school HAS to say how many living graduates it has.

So you're definitely deserving of congratulations. But isn't OU's journalism school one of the best around? Hopefully that program turns out a fair amount of graduates.

westofyou
08-26-2008, 06:29 PM
Ohio University was on my shortlist of schools, and my cousin (same age as I am) and I drove up to check it out together. One of the pamphlets they gave us had a rundown of the vital stats etc. of the school. There was something like 20,000 undergrads there at the time...and 120,000 living graduates.

My cousin read this to me in the car, then paused for a second, then said, "Um...doesn't that seem like a pretty low number of graduates for that big of a school?" In other words, any recent five-year span of students pretty much equaled the number of people of reasonable age who had graduated. We were a little more baffled as to why they chose to advertise this :) I mean, I don't think a school HAS to say how many living graduates it has.

So you're definitely deserving of congratulations. But isn't OU's journalism school one of the best around? Hopefully that program turns out a fair amount of graduates.

My father was a graduate... I was even born there.

As a student I lasted 10 weeks there and then fled like a Parisian in 1940.

kearns and dunn
08-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Montana State University - Business Management
move in tomorrow for my first year

RosieRed
08-26-2008, 09:49 PM

I've never seen that stat in the school's literature, but that's pretty funny. :) It's probably higher these days (I would hope, anyway).

The journalism school is (allegedly) one of the best around, and from what I hear it's getting new facilities soon. I happen to work with a lot of OU grads, none of whom I knew in college, and I've run into quite a few OU journalism grads at various work-related conferences, events, etc. So from my perspective, the program turns out a lot of graduates. No idea if that's actually true or not. :)