PDA

View Full Version : Prospect Profile: Mike Konstanty

camisadelgolf
08-22-2008, 02:05 AM
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_543412.jpg
Mike Konstanty (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Michael%20Konstanty&pos=1B&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=543412)

I don't know much about the guy, but he's putting up very good numbers at Billings and making a big name for himself up there ever since he hit the first homerun at their new ballpark (a grand slam that led to a victory). He might become this year's Brett Bartles (a late-round draft pick who put up great numbers in short season ball and then fades away the next year), but if he keeps things up, he could be the next Danny Dorn and maybe eventually more.

He's a big guy (6'4", 225 lbs.) and has been limited mostly first base and a little bit of right field. And for all you Kevin Slowey (Twins) fans, the two of them were teammates at Winthrop in 2005 before Konstanty transferred to Albany. He is one of just six players in history to be drafted from there, where he was a 39th round draft pick by the Reds this year. He's right-handed, but he's been crushing both right-handed and left-handed pitching about the same this year.

Here are his numbers:

Team League AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS
BIL PIO .284 39 148 24 42 13 1 9 33 84 18 39 0 3 .366 .568 .933

And here's what I find most interesting: His grandfather, Jim Konstanty, is an ex-Red. Later, in 1950, Konstanty was an All-Star and won the National League MVP as a pitcher while with the Philadelphia Phillies. Even though Mike never met his grandfather, it appears he got a lot of that baseball blood in him. I'll be rooting for the guy.

redsmetz
08-22-2008, 07:29 AM
I was all set to pull up info on baseball-reference.com on Konstanty before I saw you mention that he was his grandson. His MVP season is a surprise looking back nearly 60 years later. He was a relief pitcher who went 16-7 with 22 saves and a 2.66 ERA.

Sea Ray
08-22-2008, 12:14 PM
How old is he?

camisadelgolf
08-23-2008, 12:04 AM
How old is he?

He turned 22 years old on April 17th. He and Jake Long (Sarasota Reds backup catcher) have the same birth date. He was drafted after his senior year, so of course he's one of the older players in Billings. He's the 10th-oldest player out of 31 players on the Billings roster.