PDA

View Full Version : Baseball America Minor League Best Tools

New Fever
08-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Juan Francisco was the best power hitting prospect and the best defensive third baseman in the Florida State League. Brandon Waring was the best defensive third baseman in the Midwest League. Chris Heisey was the best base running prospect in the Florida State League.

mace
08-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Best power & best defense. That's a pretty impressive parlay for Francisco. And he just turned 21.

Also, I didn't realize Waring was that good defensively. A year or so ago, the Reds considered third base to be the weakest position in the farm system. Now there's Francisco, Waring, Soto, Rosales, maybe Frazier . . .

I don't know why you'd want to move Alonso to 3B, considering all of the above.

camisadelgolf
08-23-2008, 12:12 AM

The Reds have said that some of their people think he could play third base. If you have two good third basemen and no good first basemen, you could always move a third baseman to first base. However, because it's so borderline, I think it's best to find out sooner than later whether he's actually a third base option or not.

And here's my real two cents (that no one ever asks for): I think Alonso insisted that he wanted to give third base a try, and the Reds, who were already having trouble in the contract negotiations, made a verbal agreement to give him a try with the plan to move him off third base after he has some bad defensive games. It would be kind of a win/win situation because it could make Alonso feel happier, and it would give him an opportunity to receive more groundballs and make some more difficult throws as a way to develop his highly-criticized defense more quickly.

NorrisHopper30
08-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Best power & best defense. That's a pretty impressive parlay for Francisco. And he just turned 21.

Also, I didn't realize Waring was that good defensively. A year or so ago, the Reds considered third base to be the weakest position in the farm system. Now there's Francisco, Waring, Soto, Rosales, maybe Frazier . . .

Soto projects as a 3b? I was hoping him or Frazier would end up at SS.

camisadelgolf
08-23-2008, 12:55 AM
Soto projects as a 3b? I was hoping him or Frazier would end up at SS.

They are both bigger guys who are predicted to fill out and lose range, which is vital for a shortstop (not that either has excellent range to begin with).