PDA

View Full Version : Why has Austin Kearns had such a bad career

Ghosts of 1990
08-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Just wanting to know why Kearns has struggled so badly. Why has he stunk up the joint? He was supposed to be a multiple time all-star. Why is he so bad? Currently hitting .212 but I don't really mean this season. I mean, he just never really looked the part.

Please dont let jay bruce be Austin Kearns II from the left side. :eek:

ChatterRed
08-22-2008, 07:00 PM
The word in Cincy is that Kearns had a bad attitude and never made adjustments, listened to coaches, took instruction, whatever you want to call it. Part of getting rid of Austin, was hoping it would free Dunn up from the Kearns-negative influence.

Chi-Town Red
08-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Never had the motivation to be great...remember when he was sent down to AAA because he gained to much weight?

steig
08-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Lot's of prospects never live up to the hype. He probably has had a bad career because he can't do much better. Wasn't Dunn thought to be a .280 - .300 hitter while smacking 50 home runs a year originally.

NeilHamburger
08-22-2008, 08:54 PM
The biggest question that has lingered around the reds for me occured that May night when Kearns ran into Ray King at home. Before that he was simply great, he came up and immediatly was the best player on the reds. At the time of that injury I believe he was leading baseball in HR's and RBI's, and was quite the tandem with Dunn.

My question has always been, what would've happened if that collision never occured? Could that one event have screwed up an entire career and severly hurt the Reds? Or was Kearns always destined to be what he is?

Because if Kearns had been what he was showing the last 5 years would've been very different I believe. He would've been that huge right handed bat we needed so bad. I honestly believe the reds would've contended a few times.

Ghosts of 1990
08-23-2008, 08:54 AM
The biggest question that has lingered around the reds for me occured that May night when Kearns ran into Ray King at home. Before that he was simply great, he came up and immediatly was the best player on the reds. At the time of that injury I believe he was leading baseball in HR's and RBI's, and was quite the tandem with Dunn.

My question has always been, what would've happened if that collision never occured? Could that one event have screwed up an entire career and severly hurt the Reds? Or was Kearns always destined to be what he is?

Because if Kearns had been what he was showing the last 5 years would've been very different I believe. He would've been that huge right handed bat we needed so bad. I honestly believe the reds would've contended a few times.

Yeah he had a half of season there that he was basically a thing of miracles. He reminded me of a manny ramirez RH stick that was an RBI machine with HR totals that would have been 30-35 year in and year out. I know exactly what you're talking about.

He was on a roll.

But then I get to thinking, and maybe that injury can get credit for screwing up that year and the next.... but he should be completely recovered. I know he's had other injuries. Maybe they've taken their toll on him? He'll never be anything more than average at this point and its just very hard to believe.

Lockdwn11
08-23-2008, 09:13 AM

I aways thought that myself . What might have been if that collision never happened?

JayBruceFan
08-23-2008, 03:53 PM
It is Ray King's fault

Chi-Town Red
08-23-2008, 04:47 PM
If he was still great now, we could not afford him anyway, and he would have been traded

mace
08-23-2008, 04:53 PM
It's possible that motivation was lacking with Kearns, as stated above, but I wouldn't equate that with a bad attitude. Nobody with access to the Reds' clubhouse ever questioned Kearns' attitude. Maybe he didn't keep himself in the best of shape, but he was never, by any stretch, considered to be a bad influence. I have to believe that injuries took their toll. It's also possible that, physically, he peaked early. That said, I still don't think he'd be a bad acquisition for the Reds if they resolved to platoon in the outfield. Jocketty has done very well with outfielders less talented than Kearns. He's a right-handed hitter with power and a good arm and a good glove and a good feel for the game. And he'd probably be cheap at this point. Give him 60 games against lefties and 75 other situations and my guess is that he would still be an asset.

DTCromer
08-23-2008, 05:18 PM
If Austin was really that good, he wouldn't be hitting .212.

Many Reds fans overrate players from time-to-time. For instance, take a look at the Lopez/Kearns trade. Then look at the Dunn trade. Too many fans thought they were too good to let go.

I predict the next person to be overrated by Reds' fans is Jay Bruce.

Jr's Boy
08-24-2008, 04:10 PM
It is Ray King's fault

You mean Ray ''Burger''King.:D

DTCromer
08-24-2008, 07:09 PM
If Austin was really that good, he wouldn't be hitting .212.

Many Reds fans overrate players from time-to-time. For instance, take a look at the Lopez/Kearns trade. Then look at the Dunn trade. Too many fans thought they were too good to let go.

I predict the next person to be overrated by Reds' fans is Jay Bruce.

I'd just like to point my prediction out and even though it was only yesterday, my prediction is looking good.

Bruce: 3.86 AB/K - .970 FP

Great FP for a guy who was supposed to be a great defender.

gedred69
08-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Someone else mentioned earlier in this thread that kearns did not listen to coaches. From an aquaintance who is in the corner of the dugout at all home games, Kearns was a whiner, griper. I remember the interview with him after he was called up to the Bigs in the middle of a game in Chatanooga, where he sounded as such as to why he was taken out of the outfield in the 6th or 7th inning. It was so he could head to Cincy, and he was all p***y about it until he found out why. In short, an un-coachable prima donna, who believed his own press too much. Couple that with, he is injury prone.