PDA

View Full Version : Eric Davis to become full-time Reds coach?

OnBaseMachine
08-23-2008, 01:14 AM
Eric Davis: a man’s man

By Hal McCoy | Friday, August 22, 2008, 08:13 PM
Latest comment

Look for Eric Davis to become a full-time coach with the Reds, probably next year.

He was with the team in Chicago and was supposed to fly back to his California home after the Cubs series, but there he was sitting in a dressing stall Friday in Coors Field.

“They said my services are needed,” said Davis. “So I go where my services are needed.”

There is talk about Davis becoming a full-time coach and he said general manager Walt Jocketty told him he wants to talk to him soon, probably about a job.

“I’m open,” said Davis.

Pardon my prejudice, but I believe it would be an outstanding move - for several reasons. Not only was Davis an outstanding players, he is an outstanding person, probably my all-time favorite.

When my oldest son, Brian, went to spring training with me and Davis was with the team, he took the time to be nice to my son - talked baseball and life with him. As a result, when my grandson was born 18 years ago, he was named Eric - after Eric Davis. I couldn’t have been more pleased.

When I was voted into the Hall of Fame, the Louisville Slugger company made a large plaque for me to hang over my desk. A bat was included and they asked what player’s bat I wanted affixed to the plaque.

Easy one, there. Eric Davis. So his bat hangs in my home office where I can see it every time I sit down at my desk.

Eric Davis is special in many, many ways.

In my entire career, I wrote one column I wish I had never written. There was talk that the Reds might trade Davis to the Phillies, but I got wind that some people in Philadelphia’s front office were leery of Davis because they thought he might be using drugs.

I wrote that. Why? I have no idea. It was somebody talking out of the side of their mouth. No truth to it. Eric Davis NEVER did drugs.

He was angry. Very angry. Rightly so. He talked to me about it and I felt so sad sitting there watching him after I’d put it out to the world that somebody thought he was doing drugs.

And you know what? Eric Davis forgave me. Never brought up the subject again. And he said nothing but nice things about me in his book.

That’s a man. A man’s man.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

OnBaseMachine
08-23-2008, 01:17 AM
I said last week I would love to see the Reds hire Eric Davis as a coach. I like the thought of having guys like ED and Billy Hatcher around. This is a very good move by Walt to hire Davis. It seems like everyone just loves the guy and he seems to work well with young players. Hopefully Barry Larkin will soon join him in the organization...

camisadelgolf
08-23-2008, 01:20 AM
As for the drug accusations, it probably doesn't help that he was reportedly such good friends with Darryl Strawberry.

Anyway, I don't see how this could be a bad move unless they put Davis in a position in which he's way over his head. The experience and intangibles he brings will certainly get players to listen to him, and as long as he's not saying anything stupid or unnecessarily changing players' mechanics, with all due respect to Tom Browning, he would be a great addition to the team.

Matt700wlw
08-23-2008, 02:03 AM
Eric Davis as a part of this organization again has zero downside. Growing up and getting into the game of baseball, watching Eric Davis, certainly made it easy to do...he could do it all

Tom Servo
08-23-2008, 03:04 AM
ED for manager

vaticanplum
08-23-2008, 03:12 AM
ED for manager

:KoolAid:

BoydsOfSummer
08-23-2008, 04:04 AM
Put him in CF. He's way better than Patterson...even now.:p:

Krusty
08-23-2008, 08:36 AM
A no-brainer move here. If you want to teach players to play the game the right way you can't go wrong with Davis as a coach.

Team Clark
08-23-2008, 09:04 AM
A no-brainer move here. If you want to teach players to play the game the right way you can't go wrong with Davis as a coach.

Couldn't agree more. Wouldn't surprise me if Billy Hatcher wasn't pushing for it as well.

Sea Ray
08-23-2008, 09:58 AM
I'd like to see ED on the bench fulltime with the Reds. My disdain for the existing coaches has been stated around these parts before but I wish Hal had mentioned more about Eric's baseball expertise in order to endorse him. As a Reds fan I don't care how many bats he gave Hal or how he treated Hal's family if I'm going to get excited about him coaching young Reds players. I'd like to hear Hal rave about how well he communicates with the youngsters or better yet relay some stories from younger players on how ED helped them. That's the sort of stuff we heard about Mario Soto in Spring Training

Strikes Out Looking
08-23-2008, 10:25 AM
He's a winner who left it all on the field. Exactly what this team needs advising them.

Chip R
08-23-2008, 10:29 AM
It's a great idea even if it's only for a year or so. A lot of the kids need an older player to show them the ropes much as Dave Parker did for ED and Barry Larkin. I'm not sure if he would be in a position to do that since he'd be a coach and not a player but I think it's a great idea nonetheless. Of course the unspoken question is, who goes?

BCubb2003
08-23-2008, 10:31 AM
He was a gifted, smart and driven athlete, and you rarely see that combination.

Az Red
08-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Will there be a new spot created or will someone be leaving?

Chip R
08-23-2008, 10:48 AM

I think you can have only so many coaches.

Sabo Fan
08-23-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm all for a full-blown 1990 Reds reunion coaching squad. Larkin for manager, Davis hitting coach, Sabo 3rd base, Hatcher at first, and Glenn Braggs for bench coach in the hopes that he could instruct Reds hitters in how to break a bat over your back. If they're going to strike out so much they may as well make it super cool.

And just in case anyone was wondering, I'm only half-joking about that staff.

Spring~Fields
08-23-2008, 11:27 AM
It's a great idea even if it's only for a year or so. A lot of the kids need an older player to show them the ropes much as Dave Parker did for ED and Barry Larkin. I'm not sure if he would be in a position to do that since he'd be a coach and not a player but I think it's a great idea nonetheless. Of course the unspoken question is, who goes?

“They said my services are needed,” said Davis. “So I go where my services are needed.”

There is talk about Davis becoming a full-time coach and he said general manager Walt Jocketty told him he wants to talk to him soon, probably about a job.

Is this the start of Walt Jocketty getting his own people in the dugout?

What does it say about the present field staff, coaches, when they have to bring in a Davis or Soto to make corrections?

Jpup
08-23-2008, 11:39 AM
Brook Jacoby and Mark Berry better look out.

Big Klu
08-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Brook Jacoby and Mark Berry better look out.

Those were the two I thought of, as well.

Eric Davis is also probably the only person on earth to whom the Reds could issue #44 this quickly, who would not elicit howls of disapproval from RedsZone that the club was disrespecting Adam Dunn.

TeamBoone
08-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Is this the start of Walt Jocketty getting his own people in the dugout?

I've always been under the impression that the manager chooses his coaching staff... was I misinformed?

Spring~Fields
08-23-2008, 12:25 PM
I've always been under the impression that the manager chooses his coaching staff... was I misinformed?

Not by me. :)

I don't know, did the manager choose Davis and Soto? :confused:

Joseph
08-23-2008, 12:58 PM

Goodbye Brook Jacoby.

Reds4Life
08-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Goodbye Brook Jacoby.

Could be goodbye Dusty Baker next year. If Walt goes to Bob and says we have to make a change, I don't see him saying no.

VR
08-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Goodbye Brook Jacoby.

Has there been any Reds hitter that has improved under Jacoby's watch. Anyone?
It's been a downward spiral for every offensive player, and the lack of patience and crappy baserunning if they do get on only make it worse.

RANDY IN INDY
08-23-2008, 01:34 PM
My thought was that Jacoby was brought in to try and help Adam Dunn, as he had worked with him before in the minors with some success.

This version of the Reds may be the worst baserunning team that I have ever watched. Terrible decisions on the bases.

UKFlounder
08-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Does he have any qualifications for a coaching position (other than having played for the Reds when they were good?)

Just because he was a good (even great at times) player doesn't mean he can coach- that's a whole new world.

Maybe he has had some experience coaching or helping other players that I'm not aware of.

Of course, if it happens, I hope he proves to be an excellent coach and shows the above questions to be unfounded. I'll certainly support him in whatever role he takes

BCubb2003
08-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Does he have any qualifications for a coaching position (other than having played for the Reds when they were good?)

Just because he was a good (even great at times) player doesn't mean he can coach- that's a whole new world.

Maybe he has had some experience coaching or helping other players that I'm not aware of.

Of course, if it happens, I hope he proves to be an excellent coach and shows the above questions to be unfounded. I'll certainly support him in whatever role he takes

It's a fair question. I think he's a smart guy who knows the game on a level you don't usually see in someone of such talent. He was often criticized for having a hitch in his swing, though. But he was one of the best baserunners of all time, and not just because of his speed. Same with defense. He also has some gravitas, some of life's wisdom to impart.

And besides, the Brook Jacobys of the world don't always have the magic.

Chip R
08-23-2008, 02:55 PM

You could say that about any ex-player. What experience did someone like Dusty have when he first started coaching?

Team Clark
08-23-2008, 04:07 PM
I think you can have only so many coaches.

If I had to guess.... Mark Berry and Brook Jacoby will get pink slips. Berry has been kept around due to the ridiculous fact that he "plans" Spring Training. Seriously. Granted it is one heck of a tedious task. I just don't see how you can keep a guy that has trouble communicating the way he does. Jacoby, well I had hopes for him since he was a Rudy Jaramillo disciple. He's no Rudy Jaramillo.

Johnny Footstool
08-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Those were the two I thought of, as well.

Eric Davis is also probably the only person on earth to whom the Reds could issue #44 this quickly, who would not elicit howls of disapproval from RedsZone that the club was disrespecting Adam Dunn.

Nah. 44 belongs to Eric Davis. Dunn just kept it warm.

GAC
08-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Great ballplayer. And I have no problem with it other then to ask, since his playing days ended, is how much time has he spent in coaching in any capacity? What experience does he have?

Forgive me for my "mistrust" of this FO. But they have earned it over these last several years. Are they bringing in these high profile ex-Red players because they really think they can help? Or is it just to sell tickets?

Bringing in the Rijos, Larkins, and Davis' is fine.

When are they going to bring in the talent on the field for them to tutor? ;)

Chip R
08-23-2008, 08:42 PM
If I had to guess.... Mark Berry and Brook Jacoby will get pink slips. Berry has been kept around due to the ridiculous fact that he "plans" Spring Training. Seriously. Granted it is one heck of a tedious task. I just don't see how you can keep a guy that has trouble communicating the way he does. Jacoby, well I had hopes for him since he was a Rudy Jaramillo disciple. He's no Rudy Jaramillo.

I don't see Dusty planning ST, do you? I have serious man-love for ED but I would hope he doesn't teach his style of hitting. ED could get away with it because of his ridiculously quick wrists. Perhaps he would be hired as a sort of minister without portfolio. A coach in theory but not in name. Like Red Schoendienst but he goes on the road with them.

Matt700wlw
08-24-2008, 02:39 AM
The fact that there's even discussion of this has to make the current coaches a bit nervous.....which isn't a bad thing to me...accountability is important. Maybe Dusty's staff ain't gettin' it done....

Big Klu
08-24-2008, 05:07 AM

If Berry goes, I could see Billy Hatcher moving across the diamond to third base coach, with Eric Davis being the new first base coach.

Joseph
08-24-2008, 09:27 AM
There would be some good guys to teach outfield play, thats for sure.

RedlegJake
08-24-2008, 09:45 AM
The following blurb tells me enough to want him to coach these kids. He'd never accept halfway or half-hearted efforts.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/2001-03-07/2001-03-07-majors.htm

RFS62
08-24-2008, 09:59 AM
The following blurb tells me enough to want him to coach these kids. He'd never accept halfway or half-hearted efforts.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/2001-03-07/2001-03-07-majors.htm

I loved that article.

Thanks, Jake.

Will M
08-24-2008, 12:03 PM
I think that young players need a few vets who have succeeded in the bigs to mentor them. Baseball is likely no different than most professions in this regard. Since the vets we had are gone I think that bringing in a guy like Eric Davis will be a very good move and be helpful to young guys like Bruce & Votto. Heck, he may even help EE. Remember Eric struggled early in his career before he became an all star.

I do agree that he would be best as a 1rst base or 3rd base coach and not a hitting coach.

Jpup
08-24-2008, 12:17 PM
by reading that article, it's obvious that Davis loves the game and he loves him some Dusty Baker too.

vaticanplum
08-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Um, excuse me, some of you may have doubts about Eric Davis serving in a coachign capacity, but those of you who have read Born to Play: The Eric Davis story are well aware that not only was Eric Davis a gifted outfielder, but he is a man of great faith, of good humor, of easy communication...a near-perfect father, a gentle soul, a man who sweetly feeds sheep out of his hands in his spare time, and a vessel of knowledge of the game of baseball who has been waiting to impart all of his secrets through a coaching position with the heretofore abysmal Cincinnati Reds.

He didn't state this in Born to Play: The Eric Davis Story, per se. I serve only to interpet subtext.

GAC
08-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Um, excuse me, some of you may have doubts about Eric Davis serving in a coachign capacity, but those of you who have read Born to Play: The Eric Davis story are well aware that not only was Eric Davis a gifted outfielder, but he is a man of great faith, of good humor, of easy communication...a near-perfect father, a gentle soul, a man who sweetly feeds sheep out of his hands in his spare time, and a vessel of knowledge of the game of baseball who has been waiting to impart all of his secrets through a coaching position with the heretofore abysmal Cincinnati Reds.

He didn't state this in Born to Play: The Eric Davis Story, per se. I serve only to interpet subtext.[/quote]

And all the above is fine. He was a great/gifted ballplayer, and is a fine human being. Don't know if I want the "sweetly feeds sheep out of his hand in his spare time" on my resume though. ;)

But all kidding aside....

But why shouldn't people have doubts on any ex-ballplayer being given a coaching position based solely on the fact he is a ex-great from the organization, and that he doesn't have any coaching experience at all since leaving the game?

It doesn't mean he shouldn't be given that opportunity. I'm certainly not against it.

But if he is that "vessel of knowledge of the game of baseball who has been waiting to impart all of his secrets through a coaching position with the heretofore abysmal Cincinnati Reds." .... and I'm not saying he isn't ... why sit around waiting for the Reds to call (if that is true), and not take (or look for) any opportunity he could to fulfill that goal and gain the experience in the meantime?

Chip R
08-24-2008, 09:45 PM
But why shouldn't people have doubts on any ex-ballplayer being given a coaching position based solely on the fact he is a ex-great from the organization, and that he doesn't have any coaching experience at all since leaving the game?

It doesn't mean he shouldn't be given that opportunity. I'm certainly not against it.

But if he is that "vessel of knowledge of the game of baseball who has been waiting to impart all of his secrets through a coaching position with the heretofore abysmal Cincinnati Reds." .... and I'm not saying he isn't ... why sit around waiting for the Reds to call (if that is true), and not take (or look for) any opportunity he could to fulfill that goal and gain the experience in the meantime?

It's fine to have doubts but at one time or another almost every coach/manager was an ex-player. They may not have been the caliber of ED but if you want to do that, you have to start somewhere. Is it written somewhere that a coach has to pay his dues in the bushes before he becomes a coach in the majors?

My thinking is that ED is going to be more of a personality coach than a coach for a specific thing. When Torre was managing the Mets he hired Bob Gibson as his "Attitude coach"

Team Clark
08-24-2008, 10:06 PM
If Berry goes, I could see Billy Hatcher moving across the diamond to third base coach, with Eric Davis being the new first base coach.

I agree. The other strong possibility is Hatcher becoming the hitting coach and Speier moving to 3B.

Team Clark
08-24-2008, 10:09 PM
The fact that there's even discussion of this has to make the current coaches a bit nervous.....which isn't a bad thing to me...accountability is important. Maybe Dusty's staff ain't gettin' it done....

Excellent point. One thing I have noticed about Dusty is how quickly HE distances himself from bad situations. He did that with Wayne and he may end up doing that with the coaches when the time comes. "Ain't my fault brother, Wayne and his people were not a good fit". He still has to explain Dick Pole, who IMO, has done an OK job but has not really brought the level of pitching to the level where it can be.

BCubb2003
08-24-2008, 10:12 PM
He won't be Casey Stengel or Sparky Anderson, but I firmly believe he'll have at least as much to offer as Mario Soto. And he deserves as much of a chance as the typical nondescript old buddies of the manager.

Jpup
08-24-2008, 11:45 PM
He won't be Casey Stengel or Sparky Anderson, but I firmly believe he'll have at least as much to offer as Mario Soto. And he deserves as much of a chance as the typical nondescript old buddies of the manager.

he is an old buddy of the manager. I love Eric Davis, he is my favorite player ever and I really don't care what experience he has. He should be wearing a Reds uniform in some capacity.

WVRedsFan
08-25-2008, 12:33 AM
I love Eric Davis. One of my favorite players. One cannot doubt his work ethic or his performance as a player, but I have some reservations which may be unfounded.

I've been a teacher and a coach over the years. I always ask the question, "can they teach?" It's a hard question to answer. I've watched so many good players who cannot teach a lick. I've also seen players, Bobby Huggins is one, who is a tremendous teacher (and believe me, Huggins was a great player who got little recognition because he played on mediocre teams). I also have seen tremendous students who couldn't teach. Part of the game or classroom.

I get a little wary of this franchise bringing in former star players who supposedly will coach or manage who don't have the first clue of how to do either. I have no idea if ED is going to be the difference--whether he is a good teacher or not, and neither do any of us (except maybe TCII), but before we annoint him as a great teacher, let's see him do it.

That is all.

GAC
08-25-2008, 08:14 PM
It's fine to have doubts but at one time or another almost every coach/manager was an ex-player.

Sure they were. I agree.

They may not have been the caliber of ED

I've come to find - and I realize there are exceptions to the rule, and especially when talking about managers specifically - most were lousy ballplayers. ;)

you have to start somewhere. Is it written somewhere that a coach has to pay his dues in the bushes before he becomes a coach in the majors?

That's my point - you have to start somewhere. And I have no problem with ED being given a coaching position. But if that has been his "passion" since leaving the game, then why wasn't he looking for, and taking, any opportunity possibly open to him.

He's simply been sitting around waiting for the Reds to call?

My thinking is that ED is going to be more of a personality coach than a coach for a specific thing. When Torre was managing the Mets he hired Bob Gibson as his "Attitude coach"

What you say may be true; but a Personality or Attitude Coach?

Wouldn't Dr Phil be more qualified in that particular area? ;)