PDA

View Full Version : Do umps call more strikes during meaningless games? Frank Thomas thinks so.

Unassisted
08-23-2008, 10:09 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/08/23/SPTO12GNDJ.DTL&type=printable

DH says losing teams have more strikes called

Susan Slusser
Saturday, August 23, 2008

(08-23) 04:00 PDT Seattle - --
Frank Thomas said he has seen this many times before, and considering that he's been in the league 18 years, he probably knows of what he speaks.

Thomas said that as the season draws near an end and two non-contending teams are playing, umpires often start calling more strikes. That's one of the things that's happening to him lately, as the A's DH has gone hitless in 23 consecutive at-bats.

"That's just the way it is," Thomas said. "Right now, with two teams out of it, it's all about pace of game, so they call a lot of first-pitch strikes so everyone starts swinging the bat. It's a frustrating way to hit."

In the first game of the series, home-plate umpire Bill Hohn called first-pitch strikes on Thomas in each of his three at-bats. After the third, Thomas backed away and began complaining, and Hohn tossed him out.

"Enough is enough," Thomas said before Friday's game. "If I'm not patient, I'm not doing my job. If they continue to do that purposely, I don't have time for that. But that's the way it's going to be the rest of the season, I've seen it happen before."

Thomas knows he might be looking for another job next year if the A's decide to look for a younger impact bat in the offseason. He had hoped to finish on an up note after missing more than two months with a severe quadriceps injury. Instead, he's got the longest hitless streak of his career, and his average stands at .227.

"I was trying to finish the year strong and instead I'm basically spinning my wheels," Thomas said. "It's tough - I want to make things happen. I'm not here just to be here. If I didn't care, I'd just drag the bat up there and then drag it back to the dugout."

oneupper
08-23-2008, 11:43 PM
I tend to agree. Not only are more strikes called in meaningless games, but contenders will usually get a lot more close calls going "their way" when playing non-contenders.

No hard evidence to back it up, though. Just biased observation. :D

KronoRed
08-24-2008, 12:02 AM
No doubt, all the more reason to get umpires out of the game changing process.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-24-2008, 12:07 AM
Just biased observation. :D

We've had plenty of chances to observe the scenario, that's for sure:cool:

George Anderson
08-24-2008, 07:35 PM
I thought this was common knowledge.

Caseyfan21
08-24-2008, 09:51 PM
We've had plenty of chances to observe the scenario, that's for sure:cool:

Maybe this was why Adam Dunn struck out so much. :confused:

RedFanAlways1966
08-24-2008, 10:11 PM
I wish umpires would call more strikes in all games. Seems like the strike zone is too small IMO. I prefer the strike zone I saw while watching the little league teams play in Williamsport, PA.

Jpup
08-25-2008, 04:37 AM
I wish umpires would call more strikes in all games. Seems like the strike zone is too small IMO. I prefer the strike zone I saw while watching the little league teams play in Williamsport, PA.

the strike zone for little league is not the same as the one defined in the Major League rule book. I think that's right. :)

Blimpie
08-25-2008, 09:10 AM
...and in other news, the sun was seen rising in the East this morning.

blumj
08-25-2008, 10:44 AM
http://brooksbaseball.net/pfx/

Just taking the opportunity to link to this site, in case anyone's interested in PitchFX analysis, whether umpire/strike zone related or other.

George Anderson
08-25-2008, 12:29 PM
The vast majority of players, coaches and especially umpires really have no desire to be part of a late season meaningless game any longer than they have to.

Just call strikes and lets get outta here.

oneupper
08-25-2008, 12:48 PM
The vast majority of players, coaches and especially umpires really have no desire to be part of a late season meaningless game any longer than they have to.

Just call strikes and lets get outta here.

I don't agree. Players, especially younger ones, are eager to "show their stuff" and would appreciate a fair shake when they're in there.

The fact that a guy like Thomas, who has NOTHING to prove in the game, is the one complaining says something.

George Anderson
08-25-2008, 12:56 PM
I don't agree. Players, especially younger ones, are eager to "show their stuff" and would appreciate a fair shake when they're in there.

The fact that a guy like Thomas, who has NOTHING to prove in the game, is the one complaining says something.

The vast majority don't want to be in meaningless games longer then they have to.

No doubt the young guys wanna show their stuff but as long as the umpire is consistent and calls the same zone both ways then I don't see how the young guys are not getting a fair shake.

oneupper
08-25-2008, 01:08 PM
The vast majority don't want to be in meaningless games longer then they have to.

No doubt the young guys wanna show their stuff but as long as the umpire is consistent and calls the same zone both ways then I don't see how the young guys are not getting a fair shake.

Sorry. Gotta disagree again. Most players want to PLAY, even if it is a meaningless september game between two non-contenders.

And Hitters want the strike zone called RIGHT, not "consistent" as in "anything close is a strike". Most of them want to make the most of their turn at bat, even if it is 11-0 against.

There are probably a few who are content to go up, take a hack, if they can get home in time to count their money. I've got to believe that they are the VAST MINORITY.