PDA

View Full Version : Chris Dickerson winning leadoff job?

Brutus
08-24-2008, 01:01 AM
I've admittedly been lukewarm on the chances of Chris Dickerson becoming a productive starter, at least in the past, but so far in his limited opportunities he's really impressed me.

Dickerson is getting on base, hitting for some power and taking pitches. He's always been considered a solid defensive outfielder. I'm starting to think that perhaps Dickerson will be the in-house option as a starting center fielder and leadoff guy for 2009.

With that possibility, the Reds can focus on chasing a productive left fielder and finding one more quality starting pitcher (if we're to assume Bronson Arroyo might get traded), and suddenly I believe the team will be better as a whole.

In any event, I'm liking what I'm seeing from Dickerson so far, in an admittedly small sample size.

JWP
08-24-2008, 01:11 AM
I still want Jocketty to take a chance on Rocco Baldelli.

Brutus
08-24-2008, 01:16 AM

That would be nice. But if they find a Pat Burrell, Mark Teixeira, Matt Holliday or another big bat in left, assuming Dickerson is able to keep this up, a Baldelli wouldn't be necessary.

Redeye fly
08-24-2008, 10:03 AM

With his injury history, that would be a huge chance that would have to go along with a low dollar contract and lots of incentives.

JWP
08-24-2008, 01:30 PM
With his injury history, that would be a huge chance that would have to go along with a low dollar contract and lots of incentives.

Well, obviously. I would never sign Baldelli to a big deal. A 1 year deal similar to Patterson's would do the trick, I'm sure, especially if he has a shot at the starting job here.

If he can regain his form, he has the potential to be a fantastic player at the plate and in the field. I think it would be a risk worth taking.

mace
08-24-2008, 01:59 PM
I think Dickerson is ideal for that role, provided it's in a platoon situation. And Freel would seem to make the perfect platoon partner. It would guarantee Freel a limited number of starts, which is pretty much all he's good for, and make him available for spot starts at his other positions. Other right-handed possibilities are Hairston and Stubbs. Given all that, I really don't see center field as a significant problem at this point.

kpresidente
08-24-2008, 04:31 PM
I think Dickerson is ideal for that role, provided it's in a platoon situation. And Freel would seem to make the perfect platoon partner. It would guarantee Freel a limited number of starts, which is pretty much all he's good for, and make him available for spot starts at his other positions. Other right-handed possibilities are Hairston and Stubbs. Given all that, I really don't center field as a significant problem at this point.

Don't forget Hopper!:)

Anyway, I can see a platoon with Dickerson and any one of those RH hitters outperforming Baldelli, who even before the injury problems had a career best OBP of .339, and a career OPS of .767.

UK Reds Fan
08-24-2008, 05:04 PM
I think Dickerson is ideal for that role, provided it's in a platoon situation. And Freel would seem to make the perfect platoon partner. It would guarantee Freel a limited number of starts, which is pretty much all he's good for, and make him available for spot starts at his other positions. Other right-handed possibilities are Hairston and Stubbs. Given all that, I really don't center field as a significant problem at this point.

I think that is exactly the way to pursue it..Dickerson/Freel platoon in CF. Cheap alternatives. You can still let Stubbs have a year in AAA to give him more time while not strapping yourself with a contract. If Stubbs is ready, you've got a natural slot for him...if not, you can see what Dickerson has got and if you don't like Dickerson..then you can invest into a free agent contract or trade.

Jones1
08-24-2008, 05:45 PM
Add another HR to Dickerson's stats. This guy looks good..

kentjett
08-24-2008, 05:48 PM
We need a veteran leader kind of similiar to Greg Vaughn awhile back. Somebody that is not a superstar but one notch behind. Somebody that will be vocal and create a team atmosphere. Pat Burrel, Texiera and Matt Holliday fit the bill perfectly. They will cost a lot of money but they will do wonders for this team. We could put them at 4 and leave Brandon at 3 where he belongs. The other biggest need is catcher and we need to get a proven veteran that can whipp the starting pitching into place, bring in Rodriquez. He'll be available since Jorge will be back.

redsfanmia
08-24-2008, 07:10 PM
I hope Dickerson pans out but I would not go as far as to hand him a job next year, remember Chris Stynes and Jon Nunnally.

JWP
08-25-2008, 12:14 AM
We need a veteran leader kind of similiar to Greg Vaughn awhile back. Somebody that is not a superstar but one notch behind. Somebody that will be vocal and create a team atmosphere. Pat Burrel, Texiera and Matt Holliday fit the bill perfectly. They will cost a lot of money but they will do wonders for this team. We could put them at 4 and leave Brandon at 3 where he belongs. The other biggest need is catcher and we need to get a proven veteran that can whipp the starting pitching into place, bring in Rodriquez. He'll be available since Jorge will be back.

Why would Teixeira want to come to Cincy when he'll easily get better offers from competitive teams like the Yankees and Angels.

Why do we want Pat Burrell? A free swinging left fielder with below average defense. Doesn't that sound like someone we know?

Holliday won't be a free agent until after next year, and we'd have to stagger the Rockies with a trade offer to land him. For a team that's rebuilding, that's not gonna happen.

Big name free agents have never been the solution for the Reds, and that most likely won't change with Jocketty. I would like to see Jocketty go after Ben Sheets, though (Sabatha is completely out of the question). I imagine he could be had for 3 years, 35 million.

Here are the people I'd go after during the offseason:

Ben Sheets (SP)
Rocco Baldelli (CF)
Milton Bradley (LF)

Signing Sheets would stabilize the rotation at both ends. This means that Arroyo could be traded, and would also give the Reds some wiggle room in handling minor league pitchers (by this I mean, TURN BAILEY INTO A BULLPEN ARM!).

1. Sheets
2. Volquez
3. Harang
4. Cueto
5. Owings

That is an outstanding major league rotation, especially if Harang can rebound and if Cueto improves.

The Reds need to improve their defense. Most of the shortstops on the free agent market really won't help much (and Rafael Furcal will probably be too expensive), so the Reds should probably use one from the farm system.

Baldelli, if he can stay healthy, can bring a great bat to the top of the lineup, and excellent defense in the outfield. He won't be getting a starting job in TB, most likely, and concerns about his health will keep him cheap.

While Bradley probably will resign with the Rangers, adding him would balance out the lineup.

Use either Hannigan or Castillo (from the Dunn trade) at catcher.

C Hannigan/Castillo
1B Joey Votto
2B Brandon Phillips
SS Rosales (Frazer? Valk?)
3B Edwin Encarnacion
LF Milton Bradley
CF Rocco Baldelli
RF Jay Bruce

jredmo2
08-25-2008, 02:01 AM
Well, sadly, there is plenty of season left to audition for 2009. I think we will know by the end of the season if Dickerson can keep this up or is just another mid-level novelty ala Stynes.