PDA

View Full Version : Honeymoon Booking

Jpup
08-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Where is the best place to book a all-inclusive honeymoon package online? I prefer something in Florida, possibly Orlando. She has never been and I think that everyone needs to go, at least, one time. I was also thinking about somewhere in the Carolinas. Myrtle Beach is a no go. I have already been there and it was very boring to me. If all else fails, Gatlinburg is an option due to it's proximity.

I would like to find something online that would cover the hotel and everything and even tickets to attractions if possible. Any and all help would be appreciated. I'm looking for September 22-26th.

westofyou
08-25-2008, 11:55 AM
IF you are convinced that you want to go to Orlando, then I'd troll the Disney sponsored sites, the packaging available from the provider will give you the best all in one stop coverage of lodging, tickets etc.

This is good start, http://www.magicalgetaway.com

If you want to roll with the punches and cobble together a package then try Expedia, Hotels.com or Orbitz for lodging. Tickets for events can also be bought around the Orlando area from 3rd party vendors.

Gatlinberg... I used to go there when my wife was at Miami, we'd rent a cabin and do a LOT of hiking, everything else there is awash in cheese IMO, but the time you are targeting will also probably give you some nice color at the higher elevations, so the time of year is right, but I'd look for a cabin because that's way more romantic and peaceful than a town full of tourists and their kids.

bucksfan2
08-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Where is the best place to book a all-inclusive honeymoon package online? I prefer something in Florida, possibly Orlando. She has never been and I think that everyone needs to go, at least, one time. I was also thinking about somewhere in the Carolinas. Myrtle Beach is a no go. I have already been there and it was very boring to me. If all else fails, Gatlinburg is an option due to it's proximity.

I would like to find something online that would cover the hotel and everything and even tickets to attractions if possible. Any and all help would be appreciated. I'm looking for September 22-26th.

What kind of all-inclusive are you looking for? I am sure most places in Orlando will offer rooms and ticket packages for Disney or Universal. If you are looking for a all-inclusive with food, alcohol, and lodging combined I don't know of a place that does that in the US outside of Vegas. You may want to try somewhere in Mexico or a Sandals in the islands. Unfortunatly those can get expensive.

Jpup
08-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks WOY, I'll check that site out. The thing with Gatlinburg is that everyone and their brother goes there for honeymoons and vacations. I have been once when I was a kid and drove through there several times. I don't have much interest in it. I like to do stuff when I'm on vacation. I just don't think sitting in a cabin would do it for me. I can sit in the house at home. ;)

Jpup
08-25-2008, 12:02 PM
What kind of all-inclusive are you looking for? I am sure most places in Orlando will offer rooms and ticket packages for Disney or Universal. If you are looking for a all-inclusive with food, alcohol, and lodging combined I don't know of a place that does that in the US outside of Vegas. You may want to try somewhere in Mexico or a Sandals in the islands. Unfortunatly those can get expensive.

Just a room for the week and tickets would be suffice. The only thing I have came up with for Orlando in on Disney's actual site. It seems a bit much considering what it is. Alcohol doesn't matter as she doesn't drink. I'll drink a beer or 3, but that's about it. Lodging and tickets basically.

Highlifeman21
08-25-2008, 12:05 PM
I never did understand the appeal of Gatlinburg...

OldRightHander
08-25-2008, 12:11 PM
For a honeymoon, the important thing is the room. You might not want to spend much time outside of it the first couple days. :devil:

remdog
08-25-2008, 12:11 PM
The thing with Gatlinburg is that everyone and their brother goes there for honeymoons.

That's not legal in most states.

Rem

Jpup
08-25-2008, 12:12 PM

Rem

I live in KY. :p:

Jpup
08-25-2008, 12:13 PM
For a honeymoon, the important thing is the room. You might not want to spend much time outside of it the first couple days. :devil:

I plan to take care of that the night of the wedding and the next day. :cool:

PedroBourbon
08-25-2008, 12:14 PM

Rem

Fully legal in Tenn!!!!!!

Unassisted
08-25-2008, 12:29 PM
I never did understand the appeal of Gatlinburg...I used to live 50 miles from it. Back then, when I was making small bucks, it was a fun little getaway to visit once or twice a year. I can't imagine driving hundreds of miles just to go to Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge, though.

I always preferred driving past Gatlinburg and into the park. I love the view from Newfound Gap. That I would drive hundreds of miles to see. :thumbup:

Here's a Smoky Mountains webcam (http://www.nature.nps.gov/air/webcams/parks/grsmcam/grsmcam.cfm) that provides the next best thing.

Johnny Footstool
08-25-2008, 12:41 PM

Meh. It's all the same when the lights are off. ;)

15fan
08-25-2008, 01:01 PM
I'll throw out the Asheville, NC area as an alternate. Might be too early to get some of the fall color, but it should be quite nice that time of year.

I'll also suggest Charleston, SC. Late September is ideal - the horrific heat & humidity have subsided by then, but it's still warm enough that you can get to the beach. Plenty to see & do around Charleston. All-inclusive isn't the way to go, though. The fun in Charleston is getting out & about.

klw
08-25-2008, 01:17 PM
My wife booked all of the hotels for our wedding trip and made the reservations under her name. As a result during the trip it was if I had taken her last name with the marriage.

SunDeck
08-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Oops- double post.

SunDeck
08-25-2008, 01:35 PM

Can't help with the online booking, but considering the Carolinas, I'll second the nomination of Asheville. If you were going for a longer period, I'd recommend Ocrakoke. And although Myrtle Beach might be a little boring for you, I also agree; Charleston is only a little bit further south and I can't think of a nicer place to spend a honeymoon.

RichRed
08-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Can't help with the online booking, but considering the Carolinas, I'll second the nomination of Asheville. If you were going for a longer period, I'd recommend Ocrakoke.

My wife and I honeymooned in Ocracoke and loved it but I'm not sure I'd agree that spending more than 3 or 4 days there is a great idea. We rented bikes while we were there and felt like we pretty much covered the whole island and did everything we wanted to do after about 3 days. Although you can catch the ferry and explore other nearby areas like Hatteras, Cedar Island, etc.

redsmetz
08-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Whatever you do, don't forget the name of the place where you booked your honeymoon. My wife and I were friends with a young couple and the groom to be had been delegated booking the honeymoon. He researched everything, book themselves in to a bed and breakfast and then lost the name of the place. He was sweating bullets, to say the least. We couldn't ask him in the wedding line whether he had found it, but once they got back, we found out he had (and he'd fessed up to his bride to be).

Whew!

SunDeck
08-25-2008, 03:22 PM
My wife and I honeymooned in Ocracoke and loved it but I'm not sure I'd agree that spending more than 3 or 4 days there is a great idea. We rented bikes while we were there and felt like we pretty much covered the whole island and did everything we wanted to do after about 3 days. Although you can catch the ferry and explore other nearby areas like Hatteras, Cedar Island, etc.

I was thinking about the time it takes to get there and back. It's a haul from KY. Then again, if I had a week on Okrakoke, I'd be pretty happy with it, just sitting on the beach every day.

RichRed
08-25-2008, 04:05 PM
I was thinking about the time it takes to get there and back. It's a haul from KY. Then again, if I had a week on Okrakoke, I'd be pretty happy with it, just sitting on the beach every day.

Ahh, gotcha. Yes, there are certainly worse things than spending a few days on Ocracoke, no question. You can feel your blood pressure dropping by the minute while you're there.

Redhook
08-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Having lived in Orlando for 6 years, I wouldn't consider going there on a honeymoon. Great place to bring the kids, but not for a honeymoon if you ask me. Plus, it's going to be so hot down there in September. You will melt at the parks at that time of the year. You'll be miserable.

Go to an all-inclusive beach or somewhere in the Carolinas. You want it to be romantic and relaxing, not go-go-go with a bunch of kids and tourists. Save Orlando for the kids.

Good luck!

RollyInRaleigh
08-26-2008, 11:10 AM
I'll throw out the Asheville, NC area as an alternate. Might be too early to get some of the fall color, but it should be quite nice that time of year.

I'll also suggest Charleston, SC. Late September is ideal - the horrific heat & humidity have subsided by then, but it's still warm enough that you can get to the beach. Plenty to see & do around Charleston. All-inclusive isn't the way to go, though. The fun in Charleston is getting out & about.

Totally agree about those two places in the Carolina's.:thumbup:

cumberlandreds
08-26-2008, 11:24 AM

Ocracoke is a great place. Not too many tourist and very secluded. The beaches are great too. Very few people on them. You can have a long stretch of beach to yourself. I would think this would be a near perfect honeymoon site.

Jpup
08-31-2008, 12:20 AM
Sorry guys. I haven't replied in this thread. I completely forgot it with all the wedding stuff going on. It has been a stressful process.

Yeah, we are going to skip the Florida idea. I am now considering somewhere in North Carolina. The only thing is that the drive is going to be awful. I wish there was somewhere closer.

George Foster
08-31-2008, 10:32 PM
You also have to consider that even in September, it's still hurricane season.

deltachi8
09-01-2008, 12:36 AM
I honeymooned at Disney in May and we had a wonderful time...however it may not be everyone's cup of tea. Mousesavers.com is a great resource for that.

As for the Carolina's - I am not too familiar but as some have pointed out it is hurricane season so anywhere in the Southeast/Gulf Coast will have some risk to it weather-wise. Consider the posssibility of trip insurance depending on where you are headed.

WebScorpion
09-04-2008, 09:37 AM
You also have to consider that even in September, it's still hurricane season.

September is prime hurricane season. I'm currently at the Charleston airport headed home because my trip was cut short by Hanna. :( Not my decision, but the company decided to err on the side of caution. I hear Virginia is for Lovers. lol. If you go north on the Appalachian Trail in late September you'll hit some areas that will be in their prime color season. The Poconos, Other parts of PA, Upstate NY... how about Niagara Falls? I'd just Google 'Honeymoon Package' and see what pops up that interests both of you. As long as you're together, I'm sure it will be special. Congratulations!

SunDeck
09-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Hurricane season is in high pitch during September, but if you stick to western Carolina, you'll probably be okay. Note I'm saying probably, as those who lived through Hugo will attest- those suckers can ruin your day pretty far inland.

Jpup
09-08-2008, 12:22 AM
I'm thinking about North Carolina primarily right now, but we still don't know. It's 5+ hours to Asheville, 13 hours to Siesta Key, FL, & 12+ to Virgina Beach. Asheville is looking good if there is anything to do there.

Jpup
09-08-2008, 12:22 AM
Congratulations!

Thanks!

M2
09-08-2008, 05:18 PM
I imagine the oceanfront in NC in September is spectacular.

I used to love the Delaware beaches in the early fall and I figure NC is only warmer and more laid back.

And congratulations.

Jpup
09-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Well, after all the back and forth. The honeymoon will be in Destin, FL. Anyone with hotel information in Destin, could you please post it? I was thinking of the Hilton, but it's a bit pricey for this time of year. We definitely need something on the beach.

15fan
09-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Ooooh. :thumbup:

The last 2 years, we've gone down to the Hilton Sandestin around Memorial Weekend. Great set up for families, but with school back in session, that probably shouldn't be too much of an issue for you.

If you just want to be beach bums for a while, it's a good set up. Couple of outdoor pools, as well as an indoor pool. Nice wide stretch of beach just down a few stairs. Outdoor bar & restuarant to go with the couple of places they have inside to eat.

There's also a development across the street called Baytowne Wharf. Good place to go in the evening to walk around, have dinner, etc.

A mile or so down the road is a reeeeeeally big outlet mall.

We never really got out much to explore the area - the kiddo in tow kept us close to the hotel grounds (ie, the pools & beach). But it seems like there's enough to do in the area if you want to do some exploring.

If you're driving down via I-75 through Atlanta to Columbus, know that it's a pretty desolate drive from the time you cross into Alabama until you hit I-10. Dothan, Alabama is pretty much the only place for stopping. A few places around Lake Eufala (definitely a trip back in time) as well. Just don't plan on making record time on that stretch of road.

The upside is that there are plenty of places to stop in Alabama should you want to pick up some, uh, pyrotechnics that may or may not be legal in your home state. ;)

Wherever you end up, have a great time. weather should be great this time of year - still warm enough for the beach, but not oppressively hot & humid.

SunDeck
09-10-2008, 09:52 AM
So now I understand what Jpup was looking for- a place none of us would recommend. ;)

Jpup
09-10-2008, 11:37 AM
So now I understand what Jpup was looking for- a place none of us would recommend. ;)

nah, she just kept saying that she wanted to go to the beach. Actually, I don't know how we decided on that. Oh, I can't wait to get married. :D