PDA

View Full Version : Bailey dinged up...

Matt700wlw
08-25-2008, 03:13 PM
From the Reds

RHP Homer Bailey’s examination in Cincinnati today by Reds medical director Dr. Timothy Kremchek revealed a mild sprain of the medial collateral ligament of his right knee.

He will miss his next start for Class AAA Louisville, scheduled for Thursday, and will be evaluated again by Kremchek at the end of the week.

BEETTLEBUG
08-25-2008, 03:15 PM
He is a big Whimp.

OnBaseMachine
08-25-2008, 03:16 PM
He is a big Whimp.

You're joking, right?

GoReds33
08-25-2008, 04:01 PM
I think he will be shut down. Since this isn't an arm injury, I am not worried about it's impact on his future. However, he's thrown about 150 innings this year, that's the most he's thrown in one season since he was drafted. He had about 140 in 2005, which was a huge amount because he was so young. I just think we should shut him down, and start fresh next year.

Mario-Rijo
08-26-2008, 02:54 PM
I was expecting Homer to take Cueto's spot in the rotation through September. Have we figured out who it would be if Homer can't do it? Who does that leave, Maloney? Or perhaps Livingston? I would hope to see Maloney, it's time he was brought up if for no other reaon than to get a look at him.

Spring~Fields
08-26-2008, 02:58 PM
Jocketty said the Reds would like to keep the Louisville team intact until the Triple-A playoffs are over.

"We don't want to disturb that Louisville team," he said.

That probably precludes left-hander Matt Maloney from getting the call.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080826/SPT04/808260351/1071

thorn
08-26-2008, 03:10 PM
What about AA? Do the lookouts have any players on the 40 man roster, pitcher or hitters?

redsmetz
08-26-2008, 03:17 PM
What about AA? Do the lookouts have any players on the 40 man roster, pitcher or hitters?

All of the minor leaguers on the 40 man roster are at Louisville except Alonso.

BEETTLEBUG
08-26-2008, 03:22 PM
He is a big Whimp.

yes i mean it! trade him to Texas for Nelson Cruz

mace
08-26-2008, 03:27 PM
All of the minor leaguers on the 40 man roster are at Louisville except Alonso.

Which brings up a kind of tantalizing point. Since Alonso hasn't played any minor-league ball this year, and since he's been working out, and since he played a long college season, and since he has a major-league contract . . . I think you know where I'm headed. I don't think they'd be too worried about using up an option (which they would do, I presume, if he were then sent to the minors in the spring) because they don't expect him to be an up-and-down guy. So why not see what the guy can do in September?

Granted, it would start his arbitration clock. That's a major consideration. But if the guy can hit big-league pitching . . .

Jefferson24
08-26-2008, 03:55 PM
Which brings up a kind of tantalizing point. Since Alonso hasn't played any minor-league ball this year, and since he's been working out, and since he played a long college season, and since he has a major-league contract . . . I think you know where I'm headed. I don't think they'd be too worried about using up an option (which they would do, I presume, if he were then sent to the minors in the spring) because they don't expect him to be an up-and-down guy. So why not see what the guy can do in September?

Granted, it would start his arbitration clock. That's a major consideration. But if the guy can hit big-league pitching . . .

No way does the kids first major league at bat happen as a member of the Reds. I just can't see it happening. I say he starts next year at AA. Hopefully he will play a little winter ball too.

Doc. Scott
08-26-2008, 06:22 PM
yes i mean it! trade him to Texas for Nelson Cruz

Oh, that would be an act of genius, yes.

dougdirt
08-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Oh, that would be an act of genius, yes.

Except it would hurt me in my AL only fantasy league, where I just picked up Cruz in a trade....

Kingspoint
08-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Is there a REDS' pitching prospect that isn't hurt?

Time for Dick Pole to be replaced, if not for change itself.

camisadelgolf
08-27-2008, 01:51 AM
In this thread, I have learned that Homer Bailey is a big whimp and that his knee problem is Dick Pole's fault.

Maybe it would be better if we just never, ever, ever talked about Bailey on RedsZone. His fault or not, he is just too big of a target for flaming.

Kingspoint
08-27-2008, 03:59 AM
So, what's your opinion on Dick Pole? Think he should still be the Pitching Coach and that he does a great job?

camisadelgolf
08-27-2008, 05:42 AM
So, what's your opinion on Dick Pole? Think he should still be the Pitching Coach and that he does a great job?

My opinion on Pole is that he's average at best. I think there are a lot of cities that are crying for a new pitching coach, though. Does he do a great job in my opinion? No. But I don't think he's the reason the Reds' pitching has struggled.

Actually, how much is the pitching really struggling? The Reds have one of the best bullpens in baseball, which is a borderline miracle after last year. And outside of the very disappointing year from Harang, the starters are doing about what should be expected from them. If the Reds had a guy putting up a 5.00 ERA as the fifth man in the rotation, the Reds would have an average team ERA, which is pretty good considering half their games are at GABP.

But instead, the Reds have had a way-too-hittable Matt Belisle (who is overrated in my opinion), a batting practice pitcher in Josh Fogg (which is to be expected), somewhat of a head case in Homer Bailey (I don't mean that literally or negatively--I just mean that he's a very different person who a lot of people would have trouble coaching), and a rookie Daryl Thompson (who clearly had trouble with his command, which probably was the result of butterflies in his stomach, so to speak). I don't think there's any pitching coach in the world who could have gotten a much better performance out of the current staff. I think the Reds can upgrade at pitching coach, but I don't think the results would be much better. And I think the fans' attitude about the Reds' pitching would be much better if they had a somewhat respectable fifth starter to run out there instead of the four players I just mentioned. I think there's still hope for those guys, but I wouldn't have counted on any of them for 2008.