PDA

View Full Version : Big Ten Network Time Warner finally reach a deal

Reds Fanatic
08-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Sources familiar with negotiations said that Time Warner Cable has reached an agreement to carry Big Ten Network, the year-old cable network that is the home of conference athletic teams.

The deal calls for Time Warner to carry the channel on expanded basic on all of its systems in the eight states where Big Ten schools operate.

BTN and Time Warner have been locked in a battle over the station since the network began.

When Comcast, the nation's top video provider reached a deal last spring, an agreement with Time Warner seemed to be a foregone conclusion.

That's not been the case and in recent days negotiations had grown a bit contentious with both sides negotiating through the media.

The deal is expected to be in place in time to air Saturday's game between Ohio State and Youngstown State.

No details of the deal were available.

gilpdawg
08-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Where's this article from?

Not that I don't believe you or anything, but I just would like to read some more on it if possible.

Of course, I don't give two craps about Ohio State. Hoosier born and bred, son.

gilpdawg
08-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Found out some more info. Apparently this is going to include on-demand programming and the big one, HD as well. Of course, they add HD channels in the Western Ohio division much slower than a lot of areas. Our HD selection is piss-poor.

Reds Fanatic
08-25-2008, 11:08 PM
That was from one of the Ohio newspapers but this just went up on the Big Ten Network website:

Editor's note: Executives from the Big Ten Network and Time Warner Cable issued the following statement on Monday night, August 25, 2008:

Time Warner Cable and the Big Ten Network announced today that they have reached an agreement-in-principle on terms of carriage for the Big Ten Network and its high-definition and video-on-demand programming on Time Warner Cable's line-ups throughout the Big Ten territory, including Ohio and Wisconsin. The pending agreement will ensure that Time Warner Cable's customers across these Big Ten states will have access to this Saturday's Big Ten college football season openers and all future Big Ten Network programming on an expanded basic level of service.

Buckeye33
08-25-2008, 11:46 PM
F-ING FINALLY!

I work 3rd shift and was planning on going to my buddies house after I get off at 7am Saturday morning and sleeping until game time so I could watch the game. At least now I can just record it and sleep until I want to.

About fricken time!

Unassisted
08-25-2008, 11:56 PM
I hope the deal includes putting the channel on some T-W systems outside Big Ten country. :D

Caveat Emperor
08-26-2008, 01:25 PM
I, for one, am glad that no Buckeye fan will be without the opportuntiy to watch the exciting, competitive, and in-no-way schedule padding Youngstown St. v. Ohio State matchup.

BRM
08-26-2008, 01:28 PM
What school doesn't pad their schedule?

bucksfan
08-26-2008, 01:38 PM
I am very glad to be able to watch the game at home. Admittedly the years of 100% access to every game have gotten me spoiled. Going out a time or 2 to watch the game in football season isn't too bad, but the real benefit to me will be during basketball season. It will be fun to watch the guys play, even though it is just Youngstown State. It's a nice way to build up to that Sept-13 game...

Reds Fanatic
08-26-2008, 03:13 PM
From what I have read the channel will be added across the state on expanded basic in most places either Wednesday or Thursday this week. It looks like we may not get a HD channel right away. Apparently the priority is to get the channel turned on this week and worry about HD later.

Hoosier Red
08-26-2008, 03:32 PM
What school doesn't pad their schedule?

I found it ever so funny hearing people in Indy complaining about IU's easy schedule.

Well we played real live D-1 teams for years, got beat and nobody came, so I have no problem with the Glenn Mason method of bowl success.

BoydsOfSummer
08-29-2008, 11:27 PM
Any word on what channel it is on TW?

Reds Fanatic
08-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Any word on what channel it is on TW? In Cincinnati I think it is going to be on channel 60. In Dayton it is going to be on channel 78. So far there is still a blue screen on with a message it will turned on at gametime. So far it looks like those are the channels not sure when TW will give us an HD channel for this.

OldRightHander
08-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Channel 60, on digital and basic.

improbus
08-30-2008, 06:33 PM
I was a little disappointed in the broadcast. They seem to have a limited number of cameras which made seeing some of the sideline plays difficult. The touchdown scored by Posey (GO LANCERS) may not have been, but no one could tell because they didn't have a camera there.

As a side note, they did NOT interview the coaches heading into the locker room, which was a big plus. Those interviews might be the most irrelevant collections of words ever spoken outside of anything presented on the E! Channel.

goreds2
10-07-2008, 12:21 AM
I look forward to this because of the basketball coverage not football. The only time I could watch Buckeyes Basketball last year was if they were on national TV.

bucksfan
10-07-2008, 11:08 AM
I look forward to this because of the basketball coverage not football. The only time I could watch Buckeyes Basketball last year was if they were on national TV.

As much as I love the event of Buckeye football, the actual sport I enjoy the most is Buckeye basketball, probably because I have a better working knowledge of the game. Years ago it was no big deal to go out to watch the games but now it just is not practical or desirable most of the time. I truly look forward to seeing more games this year! :beerme:

Sea Ray
10-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Any word on when TWC will put this channel in HD?

paintmered
10-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Now if TWC could come to terms with Dayton channel 2. Yep, TWC is playing the same games with WDTN as they did with the Big 10 Network. It's one thing to do it for a premium sports channel, it's another to do it with a major network affiliate.

guttle11
10-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Now if TWC could come to terms with Dayton channel 2. Yep, TWC is playing the same games with WDTN as they did with the Big 10 Network. It's one thing to do it for a premium sports channel, it's another to do it with a major network affiliate.

Have to keep customer costs down! What they want is irrelevant, after all.

Glad to have a dish.

Unassisted
10-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Now if TWC could come to terms with Dayton channel 2. Yep, TWC is playing the same games with WDTN as they did with the Big 10 Network. It's one thing to do it for a premium sports channel, it's another to do it with a major network affiliate.Our local ABC affiliate is engaged in the same battle with TWC. The station is running crawls all day long urging people to sign up for DirecTV, since the station could be gone from cable in a few days. The news anchors never fail to mention how much they like their new satellite dishes.

Yachtzee
10-08-2008, 02:58 PM
As much as I love DirectTV, I signed up for the TWC triple play package because we needed to save money on our phone bill. TWC is already making me regret it. I've been home all day waiting for an install that was supposed to occur before 10:00 am only to find out that they can't transfer my phone service today because someone in their office didn't schedule the appointment with the installer. So while I was calling and getting reminders that I had an appointment between 8 and 10 am today, there was nobody actually scheduled to come out. Now they're going to try to "fit me in" for the cable and I have to reschedule the phone connection. This is the same type of BS I had to deal with when I left. If only we could get ATT U-verse here.