PDA

View Full Version : Bengals offering Rudi Johnson for a WR

Reds Fanatic
08-25-2008, 10:25 PM
According to Chris Mortenson of ESPN the Bengals are offering to trade Rudi Johnson to any team in exchange for a legitimate WR.

Oxilon
08-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Actually, I believed the phrase Mortenson used was a "real receiver." What that means, I have no clue.

Reds Fanatic
08-25-2008, 10:28 PM
Makes me wonder if they know Housmandzadeh and Johnson won't really both be ready to start the season and they need someone else in here fast. Though I am not sure who would want Rudi at this point he has not played a down in preseason though I think he is supposed to play Thursday.

NorrisHopper30
08-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Boldin is on the block.

We couldn't take that Payroll could we?

CTA513
08-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Boldin is on the block.

We couldn't take that Payroll could we?

I would like to get Boldin but I don't see the Cardinals wanting Rudi.

NorrisHopper30
08-25-2008, 10:53 PM
I would like to get Boldin but I don't see the Cardinals wanting Rudi.

Exactly what I was thinking after I posted that.

NorrisHopper30
08-25-2008, 10:57 PM
Currently they have Edgerrin James, who else?

WVRed
08-25-2008, 11:24 PM
If it were me, I would offer him to the Jets for Lavernaeus Coles. Coles value will likely drop with Broadway Brett in town(Cotchery will be the primary beneficiary), and Rudi can't be much worse than Thomas Jones.

Then again, can the Jets afford Rudi after getting Favre?

Arizona and Houston would be the other destinations, but I dont see Arizona parting with Boldin and outside of Andre Johnson, the Texans really don't have much else.

Reds Fanatic
08-25-2008, 11:53 PM
The reasons for wanting a trade just became clear. Chad has a partially torn labrum. They say he is expected to still play this year but with a partially torn labrum I would say his season is hanging by a thread.

cincrazy
08-26-2008, 01:26 AM
I saw this report also... although I'm not sure Mortensen has much substance to his story. Sure, we probably are offering Rudi around the league for a "proven" receiver... but in all likelihood all we're getting are laughs and dial tones in return.

Redhook
08-26-2008, 09:43 AM
Even though I doubt the Bengals would get anything of significance for Rudi, I am pleased that they 'seem' to realize he's toast. I sure hope Marvin doesn't get the chance to play him every game.

macro
08-26-2008, 01:47 PM
The reasons for wanting a trade just became clear. Chad has a partially torn labrum. They say he is expected to still play this year but with a partially torn labrum I would say his season is hanging by a thread.

Guys usually play through this injury. A couple of receivers who have are Donte Stallworth and Brian Westbrook. If it pops, well...that's another story.

OldRightHander
08-26-2008, 03:30 PM
According to Chris Mortenson of ESPN the Bengals are offering to trade Rudi Johnson to any team in exchange for a legitimate WR.

What does the marital status of the WR's parents have to do with anything?

Sea Ray
08-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Looks like Rudi is expecting to get cut. This from Bengals.com today:

But Johnson isn't so sure Thursday matters and doubts he'll be here for the Sept. 7 opener in Baltimore.

Although there seems to be no trade imminent, the ESPN report that the Bengals are shopping him for a wide receiver has convinced him he's headed out of town.

"It's imminent to me," Johnson said after Tuesday's practice. "They've been trying to get me out of here for years. Since I first got here. That's why nothing surprises me and I'm not worried. Every year. It night not happen. Every year."

Johnson says he doesn't think he'll be here, but if he is he says it will be business as usual.

"It doesn't bother me. It's no big deal. I'll still do the same thing. It's part of the business," Johnson said. "I'm not mad. I'm not worried."

Highlifeman21
08-26-2008, 05:35 PM
So Chris Perry, your Bengals' starting RB?

I think I just threw up in my mouth a lil' bit.

Sea Ray
08-26-2008, 06:45 PM
I like Chris Perry/ Kenny Watson better than what we had last year at RB

Dom Heffner
08-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Maybe if the Bengals were offering a real RB, they could get a real something in return.

If he can't start for the Bengals, who can he help?

Highlifeman21
08-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Maybe if the Bengals were offering a real RB, they could get a real something in return.

If he can't start for the Bengals, who can he help?

Well played, sir.

Rudi put up some decent numbers when he ran behind a decent run blocking O line a couple years ago, but lately the O line can't block the run, and they can't block the pass rush.

I really believe Rudi is only as good as his offensively line.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if Rudi ended up joining the RB committee in Denver, where they can make any back a 1200 yard rusher...

Redhook
08-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Rudi is slower than a box of turtles. I can't imagine him touching the field for anyone other than the ignorant Bengals.

bengalsown
08-26-2008, 08:20 PM
So Chris Perry, your Bengals' starting RB?

I think I just threw up in my mouth a lil' bit.

Yeah, an injury prone RB isn't any better than another RB who hasn't been healthy in a while and ran for 2.9 ypc last season.

That was pitiful.

Go Chris Perry :beerme:

BuckeyeRedleg
08-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Only the Bungals could get so excited about a couple pre-season games out of a guy that has barely played the past four years.

Cut Rudi. Cut Irons.

Just watch. Now, they'll draft a RB in the 1st round next year when their D finishes in the bottom third of the league.

This is really a pathetic organization. They deserve whatever they get.

WVRed
08-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Only the Bungals could get so excited about a couple pre-season games out of a guy that has barely played the past four years.

Cut Rudi. Cut Irons.

Just watch. Now, they'll draft a RB in the 1st round next year when their D finishes in the bottom third of the league.

This is really a pathetic organization. They deserve whatever they get.

Actually, I would be in favor of drafting a Beanie Wells in the first round. Our backfield is just as big a weakness right now as the defense.

RedsManRick
08-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Guys usually play through this injury. A couple of receivers who have are Donte Stallworth and Brian Westbrook. If it pops, well...that's another story.

Do you know if they protected them by keeping them primarily outside the numbers?

Michael Young
08-26-2008, 10:39 PM
wow lots of folks are writing rudi off way too early

haven't seen him take a snap yet and you want him cut

Sea Ray
08-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Well played, sir.

Rudi put up some decent numbers when he ran behind a decent run blocking O line a couple years ago, but lately the O line can't block the run, and they can't block the pass rush.

I really believe Rudi is only as good as his offensively line.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if Rudi ended up joining the RB committee in Denver, where they can make any back a 1200 yard rusher...

Let's look at last year. Rudi carried the ball 170 times and gained less than 500 yards for a 2.9 avg.

Kenny Watson carried the ball 8 more times (178) and gained 763 yards behind the same line (4.3 per carry). Is it really the O-line's fault?

Sea Ray
08-26-2008, 10:58 PM

Michael, what we saw was last year where he couldn't get healthy. We've also seen him carry the ball 1441 times in the past 7 years and he'll hit his 29th birthday in early Oct. That takes a toll on a RB. I'm not convinced that he can stay healthy and I also think "he's lost a step". When guys can't stay healthy is when you have to start thinking that they're getting too old for football.

I was very optimistic going into this year that Rudi could put last year behind him and start fresh. Unfortunately this summer has looked like last year. It does not look like his leg problems are behind him.

RedFanAlways1966
08-26-2008, 11:00 PM
The vast majority of NFL running backs have a "productive-life" of about 3 to 4 years. Rudi is past that. He had 4 good years (2003 thru 2006). Time to move on. Thanks for the good years, Rudi, and good luck in whatever it is you do with the rest of your life.

camisadelgolf
08-27-2008, 02:36 AM
Please, please, please cut/trade Rudi Johnson. He would be nice insurance, but he's not worth the salary cap hit. If Chris Perry gets injured, there's Kenny Watson. If Watson gets injured, there's 3D or the impressive rookie free agent, James Johnson. The Bengals don't have great depth, but they have enough depth. Maybe the extra cap money could help pick up other cap casualties.

And here is a stat I just came up with that has little to do with my pleading:
Kenny Watson
3.88 YPC in winning games
4.79 YPC in losing games

Rudi Johnson
3.14 YPC in winning games
2.70 YPC in losing games

You obviously can't draw too many conclusions from that, but one thing we all know is that Rudi doesn't have the speed to effectively run to the outside. Therefore, the opposing defenses can stuff some guys in the box to stop Rudi. But when you bring in a faster guy, it spreads things out and makes the Bengals' offense more threatening. Chris Perry was drafted with this in mind, and if he can stay on the field, he could be a huge difference maker for the Bengals.

WVRed
08-27-2008, 09:35 AM

Look at Shaun Alexander. Led the league in rushing, won an MVP, and set the single season rushing TD record before LT broke it the following year. Now he can't even find a job.

Such is the life of an aging NFL running back. Granted, Alexander has accomplished more than Rudi, but once you start aging and showing signs of wear and tear, you start finding ways to get him off your roster.

I will go on a limb and say this, IF Chris Perry can stay healthy, he could be a Brian Westbrook type running back in our offense. This was a guy who led all NFL running backs in receptions in 2005, and this was mainly as a third down receiver.

bucksfan2
08-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Far too often people become attached to players and tend to over react when something like this comes up. To be honest I don't know how much is behind this because Mort has been known to float rumors at the drop of a hat.

Here is the way I look at it. Rudi is a 29 year old dime a dozen back. He isn't LT or Peterson or someone who is a difference maker on the field. He is a shell of his former self. Remember a few years ago when he ran over Ray Lewis to score a TD? Heck if Lewis looked at Rudi now he would fall over. Rudi dropped too much weight last season and couldn't stay healthy. This season he cant get on the field with the same injury. Why is there an uproar for the bengals looking to trade him?

Ryan Grant was released by the Giants last sesaon. Willie Parker was a non drafted FA. Too many times a RB comes from nowhere. If someone wants to give the bengals something for Rudi then I take it. I would be more than happy going with Perry, Watson, DD, etc.

camisadelgolf
08-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Some people keep clinging to the 'bell cow' thing. If it's third and goal on the opponents' one yard line, there's no rule stating that you must do a halfback dive. And there's also no rule stating that the halfback who is number one on the depth chart has to have at least twice as many carries as the number two guy. Like bucksfan2 said, a lot of people are overreacting about this. It's time to give the other guys a chance because Rudi is past his prime, and even in his prime, he wasn't anything special.

Reds Fanatic
08-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Rudi was supposed to play tonight but has not been in for a play. No way is anyone trading for a RB who has not played one down in the preseason.

Oxilon
08-28-2008, 11:31 PM
This has all the makings of a disaster. So were going to cut/"trade" Rudi, who although not the best on foot but is very durable and go with a Perry/Watson combo? I like Perry, but the guy hasn't had a single healthy season since he's been in the league and Watson is hum-hum if you ask me. My question is, why are they just doing this now? It's not like the Bengals are going to use the money they will have by getting rid of Rudi. Another cheap move by Mikey Brown that's really going to end up shooting the Bengals in the foot.

Mario-Rijo
08-29-2008, 01:33 AM
I think what the Bengals recognized and probably rightly so is even if Rudi is healthy he doesn't really bring much to the table at this point. Watching Watson last year get to the 2nd level in a hurry must have made them think we can run the ball but we need the faster/quicker backs for the way this offense is set-up. It's nice to have a guy like Rudi especially in short yardage and goal line sets but with TJ (if healthy), Utecht, Jeremi Johson, Perry, Dorsey and to a lesser extent even Watson you have guys that can make plays both through the air and on the ground.

Marcus Allen wasn't a big guy compared to say a Bettis or an Earl Campbell but he was if not the best short yardage/goal line back in history he was definitely one of them.

I hate to see Players cut that have been good for the organization but sometimes it's just time to move on. Someone already mentioned it but I do think Denver right now would have some mild interest in him but probably not until he is cut and they can put together their own contract for him. He's not necc. a great fit for them but if healthy he gives them a solid fresh body to take some of the carries from Selvyn Young, they already had a couple of guys go down in the pre-season. Houston is another place (for Kevin Walter?) or how about to the Patriots who seem a little unsure about Maroney's ability to be a cowbell after last season, I know they got Jordan as well but he hasn't been all that healthy himself. We could get the return of the Squirrel for him, although I would ask for Chad Jackson.

Ahh, just some thoughts probably none of them will materialize. I assume he will get cut if they can't find a taker, because I think they would like to keep Dorsey who showed them a little something different from their backs last season in limited play.

CTA513
08-30-2008, 02:57 PM
It looks like Rudi might end up being cut today.

Agent: Rudi cut

August 30, 2008
1:45 p.m.

Even though he returned to practice last week, the Bengals apparently decided they hadn't seen enough of the new and improved Rudi Johnson this summer and cut the man once projected to be their bell-cow running back.

Peter Schaffer, his agent, said Saturday from Denver, "That's what we've been told."

The Bengals are expected to annouce their cuts at head coach Marvin Lewis' 3 p.m. news conference.

"We want to keep this positive," said Schaffer, who negotiated a five-year deal for Johnson that had two years left. "Obviously we got wind they were moving in a diffeerent direction when

Source: http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6997

Red
08-30-2008, 03:37 PM
Why trade a guy when you can just cut him?

Screwball
08-30-2008, 03:43 PM
Why trade a guy when you can just cut him?

To bring back something useful in return.

Still, I'm glad the Bengals have cut Rudi. It was pretty clear they would've gotten about a bag of footballs at most if they traded him. Watching him run (if you can even call it that) last year was painful, as his 2.9 ypc can attest to. I'm much more intrigued by the prospects of a healthy Chris Perry, a more experienced Kenny Watson, and speedster Dede Dorsey. Hopefully that transalates into a much improved run game so Carson doesn't have to shoulder almost the entire offense (which I believe was the main culprit in his high number of INTs last season).