PDA

View Full Version : The greenest grass you've ever seen...

elfmanvt07
08-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Except mine was astroturf... :barf:

I'm loosely referring to a commercial I saw last year when the playoffs began talking about a child's first trip to the ballpark. I remember the commercial being very well written and shot.

My experience was in Riverfront. Being 23 years old, and living in Virginia, I've probably attended about 50-60 Reds games in my life. That piece of astroturf was what made me a baseball fan. Although I had been to games before my brain was afforded memories, my first recollection is coming out of a tall hotel and walking across the breezeway, the sound of street drums in the background, and stepping out into the green seats to see a game against the Cards (I believe). I must have been 3 or so, but I got my first baseball hero from that game, and it's the only name I remembered: Barry. My dad reminded me many years later that he went 2-4 and knocked in the winning runs.

I get nostalgic when I think about my childhood in the ballpark, bland and boring as it was.

What was your first ballpark experience like?

tommycash
08-26-2008, 09:37 AM
The only thing I can remember about my first baseball experience was Pete Rose's last game as a player. I remember seeing him on the big screen. Pete has been one of my heroes since.

Orodle
08-26-2008, 12:22 PM
I too loved that green astroturf when I was little. I soon grew to hate all astroturf but I'll always remember walking into the stadium and that green astroturf comming into view.

fadetoblack2880
08-26-2008, 12:36 PM
I remember seeing Benny Santiago with his afro on the screen at Riverfront at my first game. The Padres were wearing those awful old brown unis. I'm pretty sure it was Santiago's rookie season.

nemesis
08-26-2008, 12:58 PM
I remember it was raining and it was a group trip for my dad's work. The game was real boring and slow and then there was a long rain delay. My dad made the comment to my grandpa who was with us if something exciting doesn't happen soon we will just go. Rain stopped and Eric Davis hit a home run, then a single and another single. Then Rolando Roomes hit a 3 run homer. I was hooked. I thought every game would always be like that...lol

:beerme:

Ghosts of 1990
08-26-2008, 02:28 PM
I was a dodgers fan (I loved Darryl Strawberry). My parents took me to riverfront to see D Strawberry. Except Strawberry didn't play that day. Was probably on an all night coke binge over the rhine. I cried and cried and cried. Finally calmed down and didn't really like the Red seats in the upper deck. Too high for a little kid. I remember eddie murray had a few hits. That is all.

DannyB
08-26-2008, 05:05 PM
All I can remember about my first Reds game is my Dad saying "thats that Rose kid" and the bunting around Crosley field. I was in awe years later when I attended my first game at Riverfront.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-27-2008, 09:45 AM
I remember my first ever game at old tiger stadium.. watchin cecil fielder hit a ball completely out over the roof.. man that guy could tank the ball..

on another note.. a few years later.. my favorite player in all of baseball was charles johnson.. and my second fav was gary sheffield.. (became a marlins fan because a friend played for them..).. and i went to the game on may 14 1998.. still remember it like it was yesterday.. rolled up to the park with my marlins batting helmet on and a stack of baseball cards to get autographed.. met Bobby Bonilla, sheff, Derrek Lee, Mark Kotsay, Livan Hernandez, and Craig Counsell and had them all sign my helmet next to charles johnson and darren daulton and jim eisenreich, from the year before.

but the thing that upset me MOST was when the game started and i looked up and realized Eisenreich, Johnson, Sheff and Bonilla all were not in the lineup.. i remember getting soo upset.. (goes with your story bruce..) except mine was because the marlins were going to trade them right after the game to the dodgers..

redhawkfish
08-28-2008, 12:03 PM
It was 1971 at Riverfront, and I was five years old. My dad says a pitcher for the Reds hit a home run, and it took him a year or two to convince me that pitchers weren't the best hitters.

ChatterRed
08-28-2008, 03:56 PM
I don't know about greenest grass, but the bluest skies I've ever seen are in Seattle. ;)

GoReds33
08-28-2008, 05:48 PM
My mother and I took someone she worked with, and her son to a Reds game a few years ago. The boy had a bad childhood, living in bad parts of Cincinnati, under a single mother. I was with my girlfriend, and having a good childhood, I had no idea what his life was like. When we got in the ballpark, him and his mom just stood, right inside the entrance looking at the field. He later told me that was the biggest yard he had ever seen. Every time I go to GABP, I am reminded of him, and how fortunate I am.

redsfanfalcon
08-28-2008, 08:15 PM
I think (I can't confirm it was my first, but if not it was one of my first) the Reds played the Astros on the night of Nolan Ryan's 3,000th strikeout. We sat in the green seats down the right field line. My dad caught a foul ball that Nolan Ryan pitched and Ray Knight hit.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-29-2008, 10:48 AM
cesar was victim 3k...

Old NDN
08-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Crosley Field when I was ten. Bob Purkey, Frank Robinson, Pinson, Post, Kasko, Blasingame, etc. My dad said I asked how come our yard wasn't green like that?

redsfanfalcon
08-29-2008, 04:13 PM
cesar was victim 3k...

I looked that up in the back of Nolan Ryan's book, and that is correct!