PDA

View Full Version : Fox: "Youth Wasn't Served" article... (guess who?)

BLEEDS
08-26-2008, 10:50 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8477902/Youth-wasn't-served-in-these-cases

Homer Bailey
The Reds' 6-foot-4 flamethrower averaged over a strikeout an inning as he made his way through the minors, landing in Cincinnati last year, where he went 4-2 in nine starts that gave the organization high hopes for him this season.

This week the Reds issued a public letter of apology to their fans for their awful season. And no one's season has been quite as bad as Bailey's. In eight starts after his June call-up the 22-year-old has gone 0-6 with a 7.93 ERA while allowing 14.6 hits per nine innings. And Homer has given up eight homers in 36.1 innings.

""

Hope that brightens your day!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

IowaRed
08-26-2008, 11:07 AM
Homer has been awful but the expectations were enormous and he's just one in a long, long line of poor performers in Cincinnati-including management

JoseRijo059
08-26-2008, 01:16 PM
He's 22 years old... let's give him a little time before writing him off please

Jr's Boy
08-26-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm not giving up on Homer.He's had some crackpot pitching coaches it seems,due to the fact his mechanics and loss of velocity were drastically different from one year to the next.A Redzoner pointed out in an earlier in the season thread about Bailey that there were many great pitchers who in their early years couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.I just have a feeling if the Reds traded him,he would get with a Dave Duncan or another great pitching coach on a team,and come back and dominate.

tommycash
08-26-2008, 01:35 PM
I had this argument with someone in the past about our AAA pitching coach, Ted Power. How has he being out pitching coach in AAA helped our organization. I am sure he has done some positive work, but name a pitcher that has helped this team this year that spent more than hiccup's worth of time with him this year. Add that to ol' Dick Pole and you are not getting much help when it comes to pitching in our top two levels. Heck, Thompson looked good until they got ahold of him, just like Bailey. I am not giving up on either Bailey or Thompson (Thompson hasn't really done that bad), but it seems like only old guys like Pettyjohn, Shearn, and Lehr get positive results in AAA while our prospects seem to get worse once in AAA (Herrera excluded).

Ghosts of 1990
08-26-2008, 02:29 PM
I'd rather throw away starts to homer than to josh fogg. The reds FO is so stupid.

gilpdawg
08-26-2008, 03:51 PM
He's still not as bad as Phil Hughes.

Orodle
08-29-2008, 01:15 PM
I've definately given up on Homer. Yes hes 22 years old but his velocity has dropped and he doesnt have the offspeed stuff nor the control to get away with a 92mph fastball