PDA

View Full Version : Alex Buchholz...

SoTxRedsFan
08-26-2008, 03:34 PM
He has been crushing the ball when healthy. Is he a legitimate SS prospect, or does he join Frazier, Soto, and Valaika and move to a 2nd or 3rd?

OnBaseMachine
08-26-2008, 03:36 PM
Buchholz is a second baseman through and through. Unlike Frazier and Valaika, the Reds haven't even bothered playing him at shortstop because he has no chance of sticking there. That said, he can flat out hit. His bat looks like it will play anywhere.

SoTxRedsFan
08-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Buchholz is a second baseman through and through. Unlike Frazier and Valaika, the Reds haven't even bothered playing him at shortstop because he has no chance of sticking there. That said, he can flat out hit. His bat looks like it will play anywhere.

Why do you think his numbers were so down his last year of college? What type of defense does he play at 2nd?

Thanks for the info! :beerme:

OnBaseMachine
08-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Why do you think his numbers were so down his last year of college? What type of defense does he play at 2nd?

Thanks for the info! :beerme:

I believe I read somewhere that he battled an injury problem in his last year of college which kept his numbers down. He hit the heck out of the ball his first two seasons though. That is how you find sleepers in late rounds - a guy mashes the ball his whole career and then gets injured and struggles and ends up falling in the draft. The same thing happened with Danny Dorn. I like Buchholz a lot. He reminds me a bit of Chris Valaika but with a better eye at the plate. As for his defense at second base, I have no idea. I'll try to contact the Billings writer and ask him for his opinion on Buchholz's defense.

Redman15
08-26-2008, 03:47 PM
College guy's should crush Rookie ball pitching. The test will be how he hits in A
and A+.

OnBaseMachine
08-26-2008, 03:50 PM
What I like about Buchholz is he's still only 20 years old and still fairly age appropriate for Billings.

camisadelgolf
08-27-2008, 12:56 AM
What I like about Buchholz is he's still only 20 years old and still fairly age appropriate for Billings.

His age is exactly the average age for a hitter in the Pioneer League. It doesn't get any more appropriate than that. ;)

dougdirt
08-27-2008, 02:12 AM
A 5-5 night later and he is hitting .407 with an OPS over 1.100..... thats impressive, even if he has just over 100 PA.

RedlegJake
08-27-2008, 05:23 AM
I loved this pick when they got him and was surprised he was still there. Bucholz can flat hit and will be the Reds 2nd baseman someday. I know that's a quick judgement but I loved this kid's game when he was in college. His senior year was a fluke because of minor nagging injuries but that was a blessing, too, because now the Reds have him. His defense at second should be solid, btw, its range at SS that is his biggest problem. IMO he'll be a league average fielder at second with a better than average bat.

camisadelgolf
08-27-2008, 05:47 AM
I'm a big nerd, like most of us here, and I write future lineups consisting of only Reds prospects. For a while now, I've been writing Justin Turner or Chris Valaika as the second baseman of the future (I alternate because I like to cling to the hope that Valaika can stick at shortstop, even though I know he can't), but pretty soon, it looks like I could be writing in Buchholz on the Reds' all-prospect team.

klw
08-27-2008, 06:56 AM
A 5-5 night later and he is hitting .407 with an OPS over 1.100..... thats impressive, even if he has just over 100 PA.

Thats almost Redus-esque

OnBaseMachine
08-27-2008, 11:04 AM
I got a response from Mike Scherting of the Billings Gazette regarding Buchholz's defense at second base:

OBM,

I didnít get to see Buchholz a whole lot before he went down with his injury, but he seemed to be pretty good at 2B. In 20 games, he made 3 errors (.967 fielding percentage) and had 63 assists.

Iím not as certain as you that his playing second base is a statement by the Reds. It seems to me that Miguel Rojas is the obvious choice to play shortstop (have you seen his skills?) and in order to get Buchholzís bat in the lineup, the Mustangs had to put him at second.

SoTxRedsFan
08-27-2008, 05:49 PM
I hate to admit that I know nothing about Miguel Rojas. Anyone got an opinion on they guy?

OnBaseMachine
08-27-2008, 05:56 PM
I hate to admit that I know nothing about Miguel Rojas. Anyone got an opinion on they guy?

He's 19-years old and was signed by the Reds in November of 2005 from Venezuela. He may have great defensive skills but he can't hit much. Last year he hit just .231/.341/.333 in the DSL and VSL and this year is only hitting .189/.256/.247 with Billings.

Screwball
08-28-2008, 12:00 AM
Bucholz tonight: 2-for-4 double, walk. Ho-hum, just another day at the office.

camisadelgolf
08-28-2008, 02:11 AM
Basically, Miguel Rojas = Jose Castro

Mario-Rijo
08-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Basically, Miguel Rojas = Justin Tordi

There fixed that for ya, if the kid is unbelievably lucky that's his ultimate upside. Jose Castro is probably out of reach for him. The only thing he has going for him to this point is that he is alledgedly 19.

Chances are he is actually more like Miguel Rojas, a young guy who has a good shot at becoming a backup MI at Low A ball someday.

camisadelgolf
08-29-2008, 01:04 AM
There fixed that for ya, if the kid is unbelievably lucky that's his ultimate upside. Jose Castro is probably out of reach for him. The only thing he has going for him to this point is that he is alledgedly 19.

Chances are he is actually more like Miguel Rojas, a young guy who has a good shot at becoming a backup MI at Low A ball someday.

Wow, and people say I am hard on people . . . ;)

You might be right, though. What has me thinking otherwise is that the Reds have shown a lot of faith in him. Despite his results, he's getting a lot more time at shortstop than a couple fairly highly-touted shortstop prospects in the GCL (Kuo and Gregorius). I like that he can make contact, and it seems like he is improving at talking walks, so I haven't lost hope for him to become better than Jose Castro just yet.

OnBaseMachine
09-18-2008, 12:24 PM
The top 20 Pioneer League prospects was named today by Baseball America and somehow Alex Buchholz was left off the list. Maybe he didn't have enough atbats to qualify or something?:confused:

Redman15
09-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Soto was also left off because he didn't qualify. Here is part of what they had to say.

"Neftali Soto would have ranked prominently if he hadn't fallen just short of qualifying for the list.
Soto hit .388/.423/.746 in 15 games, showing intriguing power potential and plus arm strength."